Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
All great suggestions, thanks so much!

I really was being a bit crap and unimaginative 😂 I'm "only" vegetarian, so will always fall back on some kinda roulade or something with a fucktonne of cream etc in.

I think I might make a sticky toffee pudding cos the spice feels Christmassy but the traybake of it all is less effort than something prettier (maybe this one?) - what's your favourite easily available vegan ice-cream or double cream type deal to serve with something like that?

We're visiting again soon for a joint bday party, and I'm absolutely turning up with some of the boughten options, esp the terrine and the Wicked rich number, cheers!
Swedish glace vanilla is my go to for desserts. Not particularly expensive either.

Reactions: 1
What is everyone having for their Christmas roast? I need some inspo. Going away with 3 meat eaters so will share the sides but I need a main piece for myself ☺ Ideally not a Wellington or anything with pastry as I've had pastry for my work Christmas do last night.
Thanks in advance!
Vegan sausage and cranberry wreath from Lidl. No idea what it will be like, fingers crossed 😬

What sort of vitamins/supplements do you recommend for someone on a vegan diet? I’m so fed up of constantly getting sick and feeling tired and I think it’s because I’m missing something in my diet, even though I do eat healthy and varied I think I need a little extra help 🥰

What sort of vitamins/supplements do you recommend for someone on a vegan diet? I’m so fed up of constantly getting sick and feeling tired and I think it’s because I’m missing something in my diet, even though I do eat healthy and varied I think I need a little extra help 🥰
Better health do a spray with the main vegan vits and minerals. From memory I think it contains B12, iron, vit D3 and iodine.

I take a multi vitamin and then extra D3, magnesium, calcium, K2, omegas, turmeric, biotin. I don't take this every day. Maybe 3 times a week. That's not because I think vegans need more but mainly because I spend a couple of days being whole food plant based, pious and virtuous.... then soend another couple of days eating nothing but junk.....repeat this pattern over and over again. The extras are because I'm menopausal and the calcium and magnesium are essential and I'm not great at eating calcium rich foods. The biotin is me trying to strengthen my hair and nails (undecided on its efficacy as yet). The turmeric is anti inflammatory and taking this for a knee injury. The omegas are because i struggle to get enough of the ratio right when I'm not eating WFPB and I have high blood pressure so that's protective for my heart.

I think it comes down to what are your issues or conditions, and start off taking a multi vitamin if you don't eat well and then add to it things for your specific needs. It looks like you might want to check B12 and iron, then add in extras for immunity (zinc i think, but dont go mad with this. You dont want to go too high above RDA)

Sorry for essay!

I would try to see a doctor just to rule out anything other than a nutrient deficiency. They can run your bloods and see what it is exactly you're low in, if anything.

I take a multivitamin from Holland and Barratt that's designed for vegans more as an insurance policy than anything else. I haven't had any issues with deficiency in the 6 years I've been vegan, but some people are prone to things like anaemia so it's worth seeing a professional if you're having problems.

I would try to see a doctor just to rule out anything other than a nutrient deficiency. They can run your bloods and see what it is exactly you're low in, if anything.

I take a multivitamin from Holland and Barratt that's designed for vegans more as an insurance policy than anything else. I haven't had any issues with deficiency in the 6 years I've been vegan, but some people are prone to things like anaemia so it's worth seeing a professional if you're having problems.
I use the h&b one too, the high strength one

I was taking veg1. I need to order more or get a multi vit

I’ve bought a few over the years and would get one in a form you’ll remember to take. I thought the better health sprays would be good as most taste nice but I’d always forget, had better luck with vegums/novomin gummies and now started BioCare multivitamins. The BioCare are just boring capsules but made in the U.K. and came recommended https://www.biocare.co.uk/about-us I like taking a magnesium supplement because it helps with tiredness and I take some biotin gummies for hair and nails, they actually work on my brittle nails.

I take the Tesco vegan multivitamin. Recommend it.

Not food but makeup - can anyone recommend a waterproof mascara or at least one with staying power?

I take the Tesco vegan multivitamin. Recommend it.

Not food but makeup - can anyone recommend a waterproof mascara or at least one with staying power?
I use the Barry M Lash Vegas - not waterproof but I don't find that it smudges.

I couldn't find a waterproof mascara when I looked a few years ago. I think whatever makes it waterproof is usually animal-derived?

• Heart
I like Lottie London super fake, bought it for three different friends for Christmas. It's very affordable and also you get 10% first order if you subscribe to the newsletter.

So I have come down with Covid but a friend managed to get these to for me and my parter:

Apparently, there were still plenty of the crowns, both in fresh and frozen sections, if any of you are still looking. We are in Norfolk but hopefully other Tescos still have it?

I can't decide which one to have on Christmas day but both are freezer friendly so I might save one for Veganuary (I am "only" veggie but do Veganuary every year). I had the no-turkey crown last year, after Christmas in fact, as they were on sale, and it was very nice. Even meat-eating boyfriend remembered it from last year and we will be sharing it this year (he decided no to have meat this year which is just wonderful. He's quite excited to try the faux gammon too).

I am also hording this vegan cheese from Lidl in the fridge for Veganuary. Has anyone tried it?
Untitled.png

And lastly, because of Covid and feeling miserable, I decided to cave in and try some Aldi vegan truffles I bought a while ago and was going to keep for Christmas day. These are so tasty! The outer shell is rich dark chocolate; the sweet biscuit flavoured inside contrasts with it so beautifully! If you have the time to get to Aldi, before Christmas, I do recommend these! (If not, they might have them on sale after Christmas - they had some choc and orange ones last year and they were so addictive).
Untitled1.png

Reactions: 3
Hey guys! I've been plantbased coming up to a year now but struggle with meat alternatives. I'd love to try Quorn products but I've heard the mycoprotein makes quite a lot of people sick, and as someone with emetophobia it's put me off ever trying it. Just wondering if anyone can debunk this for me? X

• Sad
Hey guys! I've been plantbased coming up to a year now but struggle with meat alternatives. I'd love to try Quorn products but I've heard the mycoprotein makes quite a lot of people sick, and as someone with emetophobia it's put me off ever trying it. Just wondering if anyone can debunk this for me? X
Everyone’s different, you could try a small amount and see how you go?

I think with Quorn I usually stick with the bacon, the mince (although prefer Asda or Tesco own brand), and fillets. I tried the dinosaurs (for novelty factor) and recently tried the tempura fillets too. Tbh, I prefer Linda McCartney, Vivera or Ooumph ranges.

I have been veggie for over 20 years and literally never been sick from a meat alternative.

Reactions: 4
yeah that's a good shout! anything you'd recommend in particular? i hear a lot of good things about the nuggets
I actually like the jerk chicken style pieces for sandwiches/salads. Their sausages are good also. There’s some other brands I’d choose over quorn but it depends on where you are. We can’t get vivera in Ireland anymore, but plant it is really good.