Vee Kativhu

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She really has no clue what a PhD really entails. It's a whole bunch of research. She probably applied thinking being an influencer and having 2 prestigious schools would do it, but she has zero experience. She's too green for a serious PhD.

They want people with passion and drive, way beyond people just collecting degrees to look cool on social media. She wasn't even able to stick to a job for a year. I bet she applied not even proposing an area she is interested in researching.

I really hope she understands that she needs to stop talking the talk and start walking the walk!

Reactions: 28
She really has no clue what a PhD really entails. It's a whole bunch of research. She probably applied thinking being an influencer and having 2 prestigious schools would do it, but she has zero experience. She's too green for a serious PhD.

They want people with passion and drive, way beyond people just collecting degrees to look cool on social media. She wasn't even able to stick to a job for a year. I bet she applied not even proposing an area she is interested in researching.

I really hope she understands that she needs to stop talking the talk and start walking the walk!
It's a bit like that saying of: "If going to Oxbridge/Harvard/whichever prestigious university is the most interesting thing about you, then you won't get far". They want people who have the drive to go on to do great things, not have 'went to Oxford' as that great thing. Sounds like she has good patter to get in to her previous institutions, but a PhD is another kettle of fish.

Reactions: 16
"I am my ancestors' wildest dreams" rubs me the wrong way. This girl really thinks she's God's gift to the world.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Why would you call your baby dr??

Also vee is so visibly insecure she has to cling to that one time when she was 2 when her family told her she's such a smart baby she'll surely become a doctor in the future :3 So lame.
She's going to crash back down to earth once the sponsorship slow down and the money stops rolling in. She's lucky at the moment but her followers will get bored and a new younger studytuber will take the limelight.

Reactions: 10
Does anyone feel like summarising her latest “life update” video? I’m morbidly curious but really cba to give her the view 😂

Reactions: 5
Summary, of the newest video (don't watch it, 16 minutes of my life that I will never get back)

First 4 minutes:
-'my life has been amazing, I am in LA, life is crazy but I don't even have time to chat with you guys and I feel like we are not connected'
- which is ironic because she is where she is because of her followers and then she says she doesn't have time to make videos-

The reason why she was rejected:
- first of all her application was (direct quote) 'phenomenal and really really amazing' (well clearly it wasn't :D)
- probably she was rejected because she spoke too much about her past successes and not enough about what she wants to achieve while studying at NYU and what she wants to do with the degree (bragging on social media and throwing a balloon party with dr.vee written all over the place wouldn't probably be enough of a reason to accept her? :cautious: )
- she has now applied for another school (again only 1), didn't share which one

The rest of the video (a complete mess, don't even understand what she is talking about)
- she is moving to the US- doesn't explain why
- she is going to Zimbabwe to do a book signing because that is exactly what is going to help the girls there to have better access to education
- fair enough she then shares something about a charitable work she will do there and that she will do some fundraising for the local organizations (would love to know how much of her own money she will be donating). Her fundraising of choice is going to be doing a 10k run ...
- she keeps saying 'oh, sorry, this video is so random', well... yes it is, why didn't you sit down and film one proper video and maybe paused for 1 minute before filming it to figure out what you even want to talk about
- she has very ugly green nails and wouldn't stop moving her hands for 1 second, incredibly irritating. Also, why is she wearing an engagement-like ring on her left ring finger?
- she is not dating but she is interested so encouraged people to comment down below and send her messages (only half-joking)
- somebody asked her what she does for work 'I am part of the same management as Jack, Jade, and Ruby and we work with brands and they pay us to share resources with you' (life of an influencer beautifully explained, makes it sound like she is a billboard :D, truly the kind of job where you put two degrees from prestigious universities into good use. I remember the times when influencers still at least tried to make it sound like they are very creative and they can connect with the audience better than traditional advertising does, but those times are now clearly over)
- also why does she repeat like 3 times that she does the same job as Jack, Jade, and Ruby? They are not really the kind of people any serious adult wants to be associated with

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Summary, of the newest video (don't watch it, 16 minutes of my life that I will never get back)

First 4 minutes:
-'my life has been amazing, I am in LA, life is crazy but I don't even have time to chat with you guys and I feel like we are not connected'
- which is ironic because she is where she is because of her followers and then she says she doesn't have time to make videos-

The reason why she was rejected:
- first of all her application was (direct quote) 'phenomenal and really really amazing' (well clearly it wasn't :D)
- probably she was rejected because she spoke too much about her past successes and not enough about what she wants to achieve while studying at NYU and what she wants to do with the degree (bragging on social media and throwing a balloon party with dr.vee written all over the place wouldn't probably be enough of a reason to accept her? :cautious: )
- she has now applied for another school (again only 1), didn't share which one

The rest of the video (a complete mess, don't even understand what she is talking about)
- she is moving to the US- doesn't explain why
- she is going to Zimbabwe to do a book signing because that is exactly what is going to help the girls there to have better access to education
- fair enough she then shares something about a charitable work she will do there and that she will do some fundraising for the local organizations (would love to know how much of her own money she will be donating). Her fundraising of choice is going to be doing a 10k run ...
- she keeps saying 'oh, sorry, this video is so random', well... yes it is, why didn't you sit down and film one proper video and maybe paused for 1 minute before filming it to figure out what you even want to talk about
- she has very ugly green nails and wouldn't stop moving her hands for 1 second, incredibly irritating. Also, why is she wearing an engagement-like ring on her left ring finger?
- she is not dating but she is interested so encouraged people to comment down below and send her messages (only half-joking)
- somebody asked her what she does for work 'I am part of the same management as Jack, Jade, and Ruby and we work with brands and they pay us to share resources with you' (life of an influencer beautifully explained, makes it sound like she is a billboard :D, truly the kind of job where you put two degrees from prestigious universities into good use. I remember the times when influencers still at least tried to make it sound like they are very creative and they can connect with the audience better than traditional advertising does, but those times are now clearly over)
- also why does she repeat like 3 times that she does the same job as Jack, Jade, and Ruby? They are not really the kind of people any serious adult wants to be associated with
I so watched it and you have summed it up perfectly, it was a braggy hot mess. She makes out she has lots of plans and hustling which makes me think she alienates herself from her typical viewers because a lot of what she has achieved has been because of being an influencer, not necessarily a hard working student. Fair enough she admits that her regular flights to America and holidays is because she makes money online, but how is that relatable to her student viewers? All her socials are LOOK AT ME MEEE.

Reactions: 11
1648606402262.png

Vee hearted this comment. So she thinks the application process is 'biased' and that she worked '10000x harder than everybody else'......

Super unlikely. She's just not a good candidate for a PHD. She's not the "best of the best", and there are definitely people more qualified than her.

She needs to humble herself a little, actually spend some time in industry working (lol imagine that) and not just collecting accolades and prizes.

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 34
I know a number people who have got into prestigious US PhD programmes without Harvard and Oxford on their CV. It's naive to think the names on the CV alone (and a low effort book she only got published because she's an influencer) would guarantee acceptance.

Reactions: 28
I know a number people who have got into prestigious US PhD programmes without Harvard and Oxford on their CV. It's naive to think the names on the CV alone (and a low effort book she only got published because she's an influencer) would guarantee acceptance.
Exactly, I bet the other candidates had more proven achievements and passionate interest in the subject matter. I follow TheRedHeadedAcademic on YouTube who is doing PhD at Yale and you can tell she's really interested in the subject matter, is actually productive and conducts herself professionally.

it makes me so mad because I think Vee could do sooo much good, not just with her platform but also the education she's had, but all she does is the bare minimum / superficial influencer activism. I wish she would just take a regular job at a NGO or something?? also.. I don't see her getting a phd at all. she did well at uni but actually working in academia?? it's tough and it doesn't really suit her imo, it's just another thing on the checklist it seems like

Reactions: 18
All I can see is her talking about doing stuff than actually doing the stuff.

Reactions: 14
View attachment 1159667

Vee hearted this comment. So she thinks the application process is 'biased' and that she worked '10000x harder than everybody else'......

Super unlikely. She's just not a good candidate for a PHD. She's not the "best of the best", and there are definitely people more qualified than her.

She needs to humble herself a little, actually spend some time in industry working (lol imagine that) and not just collecting accolades and prizes.
Nah this really takes the cake… Who the duck do Vee and her followers think they are to discredit the students who worked their asses off (as in, doing actual research and getting published in academic journals, doing unpaid internships etc.) and actually got into the program like that? “The girl has written a bleeping book” yeah a tit self-help book that she only got a deal for because she’s a YouTuber with decent management. That’s not how academia works though (thank god, for all its flaws). And as somebody about to start a PhD, I can honestly say that it is not a terrifying prospect that someone who has never expressed interest in doing academic research but only collects degrees to brag about them on the internet has been rejected by a prestigious school.

NYU dodged a big bleeping bullet with her, cause you just know that if she gets a PhD she'll expect a professorship handed to her on a silver platter next.

Reactions: 25
Her many ‘I miss you guys’, ‘I feel like we’re not connected’ empty statements grate me unendingly.

It’s clear that she is capitalising off of the emotions of her younger, impressionable audience by making it seem like they have a real two-way relationship when in reality it’s just smoke and mirrors.

My goodness.

Reactions: 7
Don’t forget being Malala’s alleged bestie - surely that must give CV points.

Nah this really takes the cake… Who the duck do Vee and her followers think they are to discredit the students who worked their asses off (as in, doing actual research and getting published in academic journals, doing unpaid internships etc.) and actually got into the program like that? “The girl has written a bleeping book” yeah a tit self-help book that she only got a deal for because she’s a YouTuber with decent management. That’s not how academia works though (thank god, for all its flaws). And as somebody about to start a PhD, I can honestly say that it is not a terrifying prospect that someone who has never expressed interest in doing academic research but only collects degrees to brag about them on the internet has been rejected by a prestigious school.

NYU dodged a big bleeping bullet with her, cause you just know that if she gets a PhD she'll expect a professorship handed to her on a silver platter next.
THANK YOU. I’m preparing to apply for my PhD and I’m working my ass off trying to make myself as competitive as possible. I still don’t know if I’ll get in or not, but at least I’m doing stuff to try - which Vee hasn’t done. AT ALL.