Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

casswilliams

So I have been following this thread for a while, because I was trying to find out if other people felt the same way about Vee as I do. I genuinely loved her content a few years ago, but I can't even stand to look at her any longer (as multiple people have stated in this thread already).
But it is really more personal than that. I am an African woman, living in South Africa. And Vee is either genuinely an idiot or just extremely insensitive. Aside from the self congratulatory stuff she is constantly spouting, her trip(s) to Zimbabwe to talk about girls education was really the worst thing I have ever seen.

The teachers in Zimbabwe are leaving in droves, because the economy is in the toilet and they aren't getting paid anything close to a living wage. The infrastructure is absolute rubbish, and I know this because many Zimbabwean immigrants are currently in South Africa fighting to survive.

It is the same thing in South Africa. In rural areas, some schools are still using pit toilets, and the infrastructure is terrible, and I can attest to that because I witnessed some of it at my high school. (South Africa is supposed to be the most developed country in Africa so do with that information what you will)

She has done nothing for Africa at all. I wouldn't have much of a problem with her behavior and the changes her channel has gone through, but constantly talking about Africa, helping girls and young women, improving and empowering education, and she is spending money like crazy, and only ever talks about her achievements. I think she only talks about Africa when it suits her brand (and other people here have stated this), other than that I can tell she is trying really hard to get a PhD for the views, and rub shoulders with the top 1% so that she can say she made it.

There are wars happening in Africa, the levels of corruption is sickening, there is famine and drought. The girls she is trying to help are experiencing Gender Based Violence, and if she even watched the news she would see the state that Zimbabwe is in. (And it is so weird to me that she is supposed to be so educated but she can't even watch the news or read a blog so that she can see the things she says are completely insensitive to the situation). (I myself am struggling to pay for my undergraduate degree, when the money she makes on one video could probably pay my school fees in one go, and I am middle class for context so consider what that means for poor African women).

Everything that Vee is doing right now is a slap in the face of every African girl she is claiming to help, and it is disgusting. And once again, maybe I wouldn't have an issue about her behavior if she wasn't constantly using Africa as a crutch to boost herself, but does nothing of substance to help African girls. Imagine going to Zimbabwe to talk about herself and views and her policies, when she has no real world experience (other than the say so of Malala, Bill Gates and the Obamas, as if that means more than having actual experience). Imagine going to Zimbabwe and South Africa and charging us money for her book, when the women in the households she is trying to help cannot afford food and rely on their abusers to survive (and I say this because I see it everyday).

But anyway, my rant is over, and I do not think my opinion on this matters much, but I think everyone on this thread needs to know that their opinion on Vee is completely valid, and her actions are not just sickening online, her actions have real world implications. I am sorry that this post is exceedingly long, and I hope I have not offended anyone!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 46

July9696

Chatty Member
So she got rejected from NYU for a PhD in Education. No one likes rejection, must feel pretty bad. Seems she still wants to do a PhD elsewhere which I wasn’t aware of (has she mentioned this?)

Thing is, she
1) ONLY applied to NYU????
2) Already bought NYU sweaters, in anticipation of getting an offer????

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 34

DevilsIvy

1648606402262.png

Vee hearted this comment. So she thinks the application process is 'biased' and that she worked '10000x harder than everybody else'......

Super unlikely. She's just not a good candidate for a PHD. She's not the "best of the best", and there are definitely people more qualified than her.

She needs to humble herself a little, actually spend some time in industry working (lol imagine that) and not just collecting accolades and prizes.

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 34

nissigossips

It won't let me quote you but in reply to n8459:

I often think she isn't that intelligent at all when I'm watching her (at least academically).

She got B's and C's in her A levels, then onto the foundation scheme at Oxford when a place popped up at the last minute. Then she got into Oxford from the foundation scheme (much easier than regular application) for classical archaeology, which is one of the least competitive degrees at Oxford (they interview 90% of applicants, https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/und...ing/classical-archaeology-and-ancient-history ).

Then she got into Harvard for a Masters from the Graduate School or Education, which is the least competitive department in Harvard (54% of applicants get offers, https://www.petersons.com/graduate-...sters-programs-in-education-000_10035777.aspx ). I would guess that because it's so unrelated to her undergraduate degree, she got in mainly off the back of her social media work.

I'm not trying to say that she can't be proud of these things. And the Masters seems to be a really good fit. But I think people often go 'Oh! Oxford AND Harvard! She's so smart!' without realizing that going to a generic Russell Group uni for undergrad and then postgrad is a similar level of competitiveness (if not more so, for postgrad) to the courses she's applied to.

Reactions: 33

nissigossips

Feel like Vee just started youtube to gain a platform, boost her career and cash in money.
I get big social climb vibes off her, especially with her publicly shoving Malala into everything and the fact she makes such a huge deal about Oxford and Harvard but barely ever mentions her actual degree subject...

Reactions: 32

nissigossips

I have literally never come across anyone so braggy. Her whole social media is just her bragging. Whats she actually acheived? I dont get it. Out of all the studytubers she is definitely the most narcissistic.

Screenshot_20210629-091038.png

• Sick
Reactions: 31

Kaldk

How many more times is she going to graduate...? This is so cringe at this point.

Also, I think the only reason she wants to do a phd is to be able to produce more content about school/academia🤷🏻‍♀️ She always says she's passionate about education but that's just not true. She's passionate about fame, glamour, celebrations and herself. She's gonna do a phd because it "sounds good", not because she actually wants to make a change. Given her education and fan base, if she wanted to make a change, she would.

Reactions: 30

quartzen

Must be nice to be able to talk a day off to recover from 1 PhD rejection... she really has no clue does she. PhDs are so so competitive, of-course you should apply for more than one, and expect to be rejected from most of them. This must be the first time she’s not got something she wanted to if she managed to get her dream courses at Oxford and Harvard.

It really sounds like she just wanted an excuse to move to New York really, but if you were really truly passionate about studying education wouldn’t you be happy to do it anywhere in the world you could?? 🙄🙄

Reactions: 28

mindlessness

VIP Member
I know a number people who have got into prestigious US PhD programmes without Harvard and Oxford on their CV. It's naive to think the names on the CV alone (and a low effort book she only got published because she's an influencer) would guarantee acceptance.

vocalfry

She really has no clue what a PhD really entails. It's a whole bunch of research. She probably applied thinking being an influencer and having 2 prestigious schools would do it, but she has zero experience. She's too green for a serious PhD.

They want people with passion and drive, way beyond people just collecting degrees to look cool on social media. She wasn't even able to stick to a job for a year. I bet she applied not even proposing an area she is interested in researching.

I really hope she understands that she needs to stop talking the talk and start walking the walk!

pumpkin87

Yeah, to be honest, the direction that her channel is taking is quite a disappointment to me.

I started watching her because I loved her message and her passion for girl's education in Africa. I was secretly expecting her to move to Zimbabwe after graduation and start working on the field with the issues she is passionate about, maybe get a job at an NGO there or even in the goverment. I would have loved her to blog about her life in Zim, talk about the issues that girls are facing there and all the things she is doing to improve the situation.

Now I really dont want to watch another influencer in a fancy appartment living the London life....

• Heart
Reactions: 26

pumpkinssspice

She’s applying for PhDs in the UK (and the US) in her newest video and saying she had her personal statement ready but didn’t realise she needed a research proposal…. So she’s actually got no idea what a PhD entails??

• Haha
  • Wow

279cupcakes

no way would someone her age working a minimum wage job be able to do something like that. she's acting like all she did was 'work hard!' but she's in such a privileged position

• Sick

bublifuk

View attachment 1159667

Vee hearted this comment. So she thinks the application process is 'biased' and that she worked '10000x harder than everybody else'......

Super unlikely. She's just not a good candidate for a PHD. She's not the "best of the best", and there are definitely people more qualified than her.

She needs to humble herself a little, actually spend some time in industry working (lol imagine that) and not just collecting accolades and prizes.
Nah this really takes the cake… Who the fuck do Vee and her followers think they are to discredit the students who worked their asses off (as in, doing actual research and getting published in academic journals, doing unpaid internships etc.) and actually got into the program like that? “The girl has written a fucking book” yeah a shit self-help book that she only got a deal for because she’s a YouTuber with decent management. That’s not how academia works though (thank god, for all its flaws). And as somebody about to start a PhD, I can honestly say that it is not a terrifying prospect that someone who has never expressed interest in doing academic research but only collects degrees to brag about them on the internet has been rejected by a prestigious school.

NYU dodged a big fucking bullet with her, cause you just know that if she gets a PhD she'll expect a professorship handed to her on a silver platter next.

Reactions: 25

pumpkinssspice

She hasn’t even written a dissertation for her MA so she has no track record at all for carrying out substantial pieces of (independent) research - I don’t see how she thought she was qualified to get a fully funded place? The competition will be huge

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I think Vee's attitude is that having a Masters = automatically being ready/accepted for a PhD. That's why she only applied to one place, I really think she thought she was certain to get it. I mean, publicly buying the merch before hearing the outcome 😂 Pride comes before a fall. The best thing she can do is stop with the influencer trend and go get a good job and put her education to good use. What's the point of having Oxford and Harvard on your CV if just going to sit and shill influencer stuff?

slamvs27

VIP Member
"I am my ancestors' wildest dreams" rubs me the wrong way. This girl really thinks she's God's gift to the world.

• Haha

emmer_moans

VIP Member
Came here to post the same thing. Imagine buying all the merch thinking you would get in, then posting pics of yourself looking sad holding the hoodie of the place you didn't get into? 😬 Looks desperate!
She has Oxford and Harvard under her belt already, why is she trying to get into other prestigious schools? What does Vee actually do? All I see is an influencer patting herself on the back, daily. She says she has supportive friends but surely they must be rolling their eyes at this point, does she pht the same amount of support into their aspirations ?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24

whatshesaid123

Chatty Member
no way would someone her age working a minimum wage job be able to do something like that. she's acting like all she did was 'work hard!' but she's in such a privileged position
I always thought she was quite down to earth and not a middle class twat. Now she’s perpetuating the idea that anyone can “work hard” and earn 26k wtf, she’s definitely changed and lost where she came from. YouTube clearly changes people

• Sick
Reactions: 24