Unpopular Opinions #25

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to go to festivals years ago in my teens when it wasn’t the cool thing to do - it was 3 days of crappy weather, wearing crappy old clothes and drinking warm over priced beer and having the best time with your mates watching the best bands. No mobile phones, no social media, no bleeping glittery face paint and drinking Aperol Spritz wearing some high end outfit and uploading everything to bloody Instagram. Festivals used to be great and now they are just an excuse for the insta-huns and the chavs to wear “festival” clothes and pretend that spending £500 to sleep in a “boujee” tent with all the home comforts is “roughing it”
I was watching some of the Glasto highlights this year and any crowd shot I saw the majority of the people were holding up their phones! Also, what's with all the huge flags everyone seems to carry now!? I'd find it f annoying if I was in the crowd and all I could see was phones and flags.

Reactions: 9
The festival crowds often seem so dead these days, also sometimes goes for other concerts/tours

Though with how shockingly bad some artists seem to be live, that could be part of the explanation. The other part is presumably wanting to be there just to show that you’ve been there on social media

Reactions: 5
The festival crowds often seem so dead these days, also sometimes goes for other concerts/tours

Though with how shockingly bad some artists seem to be live, that could be part of the explanation. The other part is presumably wanting to be there just to show that you’ve been there on social media
It's true. I had some of my best nights out at concerts when I was in my late teens/20's. They just don't have the same vibe anymore! Sometimes it's because the band sounds so shocking, but often because the crowd is so disengaged, which must also affect the bands performance.

Reactions: 6

Mobile phones have a lot to answer for.

Reactions: 13
People filming concerts on their phones seems silly to me. When I've done it in the last I rarely ever watch them back. We need to embrace living in the moment.

In my opinion concerts are ruined by the crowds. I love dance music but the crowd is always drunk teens and very chaotic in a bad way. Prefer to watch DJs in over 21 nightclubs instead, much better atmosphere.

Reactions: 8
I think the one of the problems with live music and concerts for me is that it's all just too big. Whereas groups used to do 2 or 3 nights in a smaller venue and now its all arenas and outdoor spaces. I just find it all so soulless. So not only is the music worse than the recorded version but you end up watching a lot of it on a huge TV screen anyway.

Reactions: 8
Whaaat, you mean you wouldn’t want to tit in a fetid stinking box a hundred other people have shat in, sleep on the floor, pay £8 for a cup of piss-warm lager and listen to dirge you don’t like for two days just to get to listen, poorly, to something you do like? Shocking.

(they don’t appeal to me either)
Taken out of context that sounds like Majorca….

• Haha
Completely off topic but if you have Netflix, Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 is a fabulous watch.
Watched it a few days ago! There’s also a good documentary about the Fyre festival.

I love concerts and live shows. Don’t think festivals would be good for me though.

Reactions: 2
Completely off topic but if you have Netflix, Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 is a fabulous watch.
I've got that on my watch list! Like rainbowlemon says, it looked similar to the Fyre Festival documentary which I liked watching.

Sums up why festivals are rarely a good idea.

Reactions: 2
Also, what's with all the huge flags everyone seems to carry now!? I'd find it f annoying if I was in the crowd and all I could see was phones and flags.
It’s guaranteed to be a LGBT flag or a Palestine flag too.

I think the one of the problems with live music and concerts for me is that it's all just too big.
I agree, this is just my idea of hell (but I get for the band playing it must be really thrilling!
B9A7D550-4B50-4837-935A-F09F64E56CC7.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I have seen Pulp 64 (yea, sowhat?!) times and hands down the best gigs have been in the dingy venue on Brighton seafront under the arches and in the back rooms of pubs. I have seen them at Glastonbury, Reading etc and while they are alright they don't come close to the smaller intimate gigs where they give away the set list and the drum stick and stay on stage to chat.

It’s guaranteed to be a LGBT flag or a Palestine flag too.

I agree, this is just my idea of hell (but I get for the band playing it must be really thrilling!
View attachment 1494138
Imagine being at the front of those crowds and needing a wee. Guess you have to just pee yourself.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.