Unpopular Opinions #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Energy prices are rocketing, prices of food and fuel are going up on a daily basis. NI contributions have been increased by the government and hundreds of thousands are falling into fuel and food poverty and what do our leaders do ?

The chancellor knocks 5p off fuel duty that is wiped out in 5 days of fuel price rises.

Yet we are giving tens of millions of pounds of arms to Ukraine (the govt has refused to say what arms or how much exactly but its said it could be hundredsof millions) with a pledge of even more and have said they expect no payment for them in cash or kind.

Sanctions are only going to push prices up here and make us even worse off.

By all means support Ukraine but I don't believe it should be limitless and at the expense of ruining my hard earned standard of living.

Unpopular I don't doubt this will be but is my opinion that those millions would be better spent here.

Supply them with arms but on credit or lend lease like the Americans did with us in WW2, not just give them away.
on “credit”?!?! using an example from the 1940s?! how is putting ukraine into mass debt supposed to help them rebuild exactly?

people are literally dying, losing their homes, their families, everything they own in the world because some psychopath randomly chose to invade their country. would you prefer we turn the other way?

i know this is an unpopular opinion thread but gosh 🤦🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 19
See, I think we mostly take the piss out of Eurovision and see it as a bit of a joke. Graham Norton's tongue in cheek commentary is a case in point.

Hardly any 'good' UK artists want to compete in it because it's seen as naff and something you'll carry around for the rest of your (potentially short) career. Hence why our entries are usually from someone you've never heard of and are a load of pap.

Some countries take it really seriously. For example Sweden that has a contest called Melodifestivalen, which this year had 28 contestants and lasted for six weeks with various rounds. The winner is Sweden's entry. We often don't even get one chance to vote on a competitor.
We used to vote and we picked some absolute shockers.

I actually think this years entry is good but we should go all out one year and try and get someone like Robbie Williams to do it. The other countries often send some of their biggest stars. Anytime we've sent someone a little bit recognisable we do ok. Even Blue came 11th.

Reactions: 5
Energy prices are rocketing, prices of food and fuel are going up on a daily basis. NI contributions have been increased by the government and hundreds of thousands are falling into fuel and food poverty and what do our leaders do ?

The chancellor knocks 5p off fuel duty that is wiped out in 5 days of fuel price rises.

Yet we are giving tens of millions of pounds of arms to Ukraine (the govt has refused to say what arms or how much exactly but its said it could be hundredsof millions) with a pledge of even more and have said they expect no payment for them in cash or kind.

Sanctions are only going to push prices up here and make us even worse off.

By all means support Ukraine but I don't believe it should be limitless and at the expense of ruining my hard earned standard of living.

Unpopular I don't doubt this will be but is my opinion that those millions would be better spent here.

Supply them with arms but on credit or lend lease like the Americans did with us in WW2, not just give them away.
It was not until 2006 that Britain fully repaid its lend-lease debts to the United States from World War II.

Do you plan on being around in 65 years? 🤔

Reactions: 6
My friend changes her colour scheme every 2 years, so her curtains, cushions, carpets and sofas are all chucked out and replaced. Fortunately, she donates them to BHF who then sell them on, but even so, it's just so wasteful. In the time I've known her she's gone from minimalist black leather and chrome, to country cottage chintz, and is currently embracing the crushed grey velvet trend. She's already planning her next look.
I personally don't understand the madness. My cousin also recently ripped out perfectly good functional bespoke cupboards and replaced them with basic cheap looking MDF ones. Even the man doing the work told her her previous ones were of better quality. She gets to pay close to £800. :ROFLMAO:

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
UO, there is too much trash TV ie reality shows and not enough proper TV shows anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love some trash but at the same time its OTT. Sometimes there's nothing too watch on TV but trash

Reactions: 25
UO, there is too much trash TV ie reality shows and not enough proper TV shows anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love some trash but at the same time its OTT. Sometimes there's nothing too watch on TV but trash
I agree. It's all gone down hill. Bring back Playdays and Pippin.

Reactions: 3
I used to adore trash tv (ultimate guilty pleasure/unwind time) think early days Big Brother, just outgoing people who were generally up for a laugh. Now every participant seems to have an agenda of getting a PLT collab/spin off series. Really spoils it.

Reactions: 29
I hate memes with a burning passion, I'm sick of them being everywhere, edging out actual discussion or argument. I can't wait till they die out. People will say "memes have always existed throughout history." Yeah well, the fact that someone carved "LUCILLUS MAXIMUS WOZ 'ERE" into a wall in 212 AD is not the same as being constantly bombarded with the barrage of crap we get now

• Haha
  • Heart
I hate memes with a burning passion, I'm sick of them being everywhere, edging out actual discussion or argument. I can't wait till they die out. People will say "memes have always existed throughout history." Yeah well, the fact that someone carved "LUCILLUS MAXIMUS WOZ 'ERE" into a wall in 212 AD is not the same as being constantly bombarded with the barrage of crap we get now
I belong to a political forum and I get so annoyed when I am speaking with someone with opposing views and when I pry them for information to back up their "facts" they upload a MASSIVE meme in an attempt to gaslight me.

It never works.

In my mind I think they just turned the channel from CNN to the Loony Tunes Network.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
If I get a hole or a tear, I just mend it.
I’m quite shocked by the amount of friends I have who can’t sew. Nothing fancy, just a basic running stitch to fix something but only one can! I’ve had male friends say to me that ‘only women sew’ or that it’s not very ‘manly’ and they were never taught. I always say back that my father and grandfather were both in the armed forces and taught themselves to sew.
So when it comes to things like fast fashion, a lot of the people I know do throw things away when there is a tear which can easily be remedied with a quick stitch or two. It’s ridiculous!

Supply them with arms but on credit
This made me laugh!
“Oh, Zelensky, we have all those automatic rifles you wanted, plus the bullets too…buuuut you’re gonna have to pay them back in twenty two years. Ring up my man Rishi and he’ll sort out a direct debit with very reasonable interest!”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
UO: adults in relationships giving each other teddy bears/soft toys as gifts. Grow up! And it"s tacky and( kinda creepy!)

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I agree. It's all gone down hill. Bring back Playdays and Pippin.
Erm...Pippin is no longer available for work. Don't worry, he retired to a nice farm in the countryside. No visitors allowed though unfortunately. 😬

The only good one on Playdays was Whybird.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Exactly, there used to be variety despite less options being available. It's utter shitshow now.

Reactions: 6
I used to adore trash tv (ultimate guilty pleasure/unwind time) think early days Big Brother, just outgoing people who were generally up for a laugh. Now every participant seems to have an agenda of getting a PLT collab/spin off series. Really spoils it.
Talking of trash TV, channel 4 have sunk to new lows with their new sex show open house. I don't know if anyone watched it but couples go to a house full of sex people to "open their relationship". They showed all the sex! I coulndt believe what I was watching, but it was bloody entertaining. I love a bit of trash TV.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Talking of trash TV, channel 4 have sunk to new lows with their new sex show open house. I don't know if anyone watched it but couples go to a house full of sex people to "open their relationship". They showed all the sex! I coulndt believe what I was watching, but it was bloody entertaining. I love a bit of trash TV.
What’s this called?! 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I’m quite shocked by the amount of friends I have who can’t sew. Nothing fancy, just a basic running stitch to fix something but only one can! I’ve had male friends say to me that ‘only women sew’ or that it’s not very ‘manly’ and they were never taught. I always say back that my father and grandfather were both in the armed forces and taught themselves to sew.
So when it comes to things like fast fashion, a lot of the people I know do throw things away when there is a tear which can easily be remedied with a quick stitch or two. It’s ridiculous!

This made me laugh!
“Oh, Zelensky, we have all those automatic rifles you wanted, plus the bullets too…buuuut you’re gonna have to pay them back in twenty two years. Ring up my man Rishi and he’ll sort out a direct debit with very reasonable interest!”
All the boys were taught how to sew and bake at my school, and the girls all had woodwork. We all enjoyed it

Reactions: 11
All the boys were taught how to sew and bake at my school, and the girls all had woodwork. We all enjoyed it
I did all three at school - woodwork is something I haven’t done since but baking and sewing are skills I use regularly. I’m not the best baker or seamstress but the basics are very important I feel.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.