Unpopular opinions #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Will never understand parents who are strict with children when it comes to exploring their sexuality and independence. Crucifying them or banning them from having a boyfriend In their room. Pure naivety with regards to what some (not all) teenagers get up to and wish to do. No boyfriends in rooms etc. Why?? It will either go on in a park or round a mates house when you’re not there or you can choose to allow it to go on in the safety of your own house. It’s going to happen whether you want to keep your daughter protected and virginal forever whether you like it or not. An open dialogue with your child and being more realistic with what teenagers (not all) get up to it much healthier. My daughter will try cigarettes with us and has alcohol every now and then with us. Build up a tolerance level and knowing her limits at home instead of being let loose at 16/18 and ending up in a&e from being so drunk because they have no idea how to handle alcohol. Have to choose what you would prefer, as it’s happening either way 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Will never understand parents who are strict with children when it comes to exploring their sexuality and independence. Crucifying them or banning them from having a boyfriend In their room. Pure naivety with regards to what some (not all) teenagers get up to and wish to do. No boyfriends in rooms etc. Why?? It will either go on in a park or round a mates house when you’re not there or you can choose to allow it to go on in the safety of your own house. It’s going to happen whether you want to keep your daughter protected and virginal forever whether you like it or not. An open dialogue with your child and being more realistic with what teenagers (not all) get up to it much healthier. My daughter will try cigarettes with us and has alcohol every now and then with us. Build up a tolerance level and knowing her limits at home instead of being let loose at 16/18 and ending up in a&e from being so drunk because they have no idea how to handle alcohol. Have to choose what you would prefer, as it’s happening either way 🤷‍♀️
My 3 daughters are all grown up now with partners and kids of their own. But when they were teenagers I did this. I said I would rather know what they were doing under my roof than shagging in a car or on the beach etc. Same with drinking. They’ve grown up to be well adjusted women. And their friends used to love coming to mine. Appt I was a ‘trendy mum’ 😂. Whatever that is

Reactions: 9
Everything is designed to break, in this throwaway society nothing last anymore. old stuff went on and on forever and then you passed it down when you got sick of the sight of it

We have more and more kitchen gadgets that are virtually uncleanable. I know so many people who have bought say a sandwich toaster, waffle maker etc and after a few weeks they stop using it and throw it.. not because they don't like the toasted sandwiches or waffles but because the damn things are so hard to keep clean, so they throw them away and mths later try another brand hoping this one will be different

Tell me why in this day and age these things are not made with an electrical element that can just be taken out and the rest shoved in the sink or the dishwasher? every single small appliance could be made like this, and yet?

The unpopular part of this post is the fact that the above is a conspiracy theory and so people won't like to listen 🤪

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
Everything is designed to break, in this throwaway society nothing last anymore. old stuff went on and on forever and you passed it down ..

We have more and more kitchen gadgets that are virtually uncleanable. I know so many people who have bought say a sandwich toaster, waffle maker etc and after a few weeks they stop using it and throw it.. not because they don't like the toasted sandwiches or waffles but because the damn things are so hard to keep clean, so they throw them away and mths later try another brand hoping this one will be different

Tell me why in this day and age these things are not made with an electrical element that can just be taken out and the rest shoved in the sink or the dishwasher? every single small appliance could be made like this, and yet?

The unpopular part of this post is the fact that the above is a conspiracy theory and so people won't like to listen 🤪
Yes, why? Why? Why?
Every once in a while I take them into the garden and blast them with the steam cleaner lol

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Everything is designed to break, in this throwaway society nothing last anymore. old stuff went on and on forever and then you passed it down when you got sick of the sight of it

My toaster has metal plates that can be removed and washed 🧐 I've never used or seen one that didn't have removable plates, it's insane that people just... throw away dirty appliances?? What the hell.

Reactions: 5
My toaster has metal plates that can be removed and washed 🧐 I've never used or seen one that didn't have removable plates, it's insane that people just... throw away dirty appliances?? What the hell.
A relative of mine worked in a kitchen showroom and got big discounts on appliances. She would never clean her own oven, and replace it when it got too filthy. That to me is the height of wastefulness.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
My mum was quite strict when i was growing up, alot of it was cultural tbh. In her own eyes she was trying to protect me and look out for me but it wasn’t great for me.

Strict parents raise sneaky kids.. i got so good at lying and sneaking about but thats what she caused 🤷🏽‍♀️ Also its not good because if I ever did get into any trouble she would have been the last person I would have turned to

I am now a well adjusted woman 🤣 but i promised myself I would never be like that with my kid, I want them to be open with me and know I will be there for them when they need me with no judgement.

Reactions: 10
You have never seen a sandwich toaster that didn't have removable plates? There are loads that don't have them but the problem isn't the plates as they are non-stick anyway, but it is everywhere else that cheese or a batter can and does run. There are many nooks and crannies that are very hard to clean

Reactions: 1
I find it very creepy when fathers and brothers protect their daughters/sisters vaginity, but the males are all hounds.

It's like I can't duck her so I don't want anyone else to.

They also argue that "they know what guys are like". Well instead of keeping her locked up with a chastity belt, teach her what men to watch out for and how to handle creeps.

Reactions: 16
I find it very creepy when fathers and brothers protect their daughters/sisters vaginity, but the males are all hounds.

It's like I can't duck her so I don't want anyone else to.

They also argue that "they know what guys are like". Well instead of keeping her locked up with a chastity belt, teach her what men to watch out for and how to handle creeps.
And educate your mates

Reactions: 11
I agree with the original point that appliances especially white goods are not made to last. They want it to bust after 5 years so you have to buy new, it's in their business model and it's not even secret.

If you try and replace parts in an appliance more than a few years old it's really hard to get hold of parts. I had a mare trying to replace my freezer draw fronts. Often fixing a washing machine is more expensive than buying a new one. Sofas from places like DFS are design to go bust by the time the finance has ended. Some cars are now designed that you have to replace the whole headlight when the bulb goes because they are not designed to be repaired and renewed and last 30+ years like old cars.

But I have also never seen a sandwich toaster that doesn't have the removable plates other than my mum's cast iron on the hob one. Also since when did a bit if burnt on food hurt anyone. You should see my Yorkshire pudding dish.

Reactions: 7
This x100. Not only do council tenants get the opportunity to buy their houses, they also get heavy discounts on the price depending on how long they’ve lived there. It’s a disgrace that the government is selling off housing stock when there is already a housing shortage and long waiting lists across the country. They are actively making the problem worse, it literally makes no sense.

Not to mention how galling it is trying to get on the housing ladder in the ‘normal way’ whilst Janet and Frank next door are buying their 3 bed council house for £50k because they’ve lived there 15 years and you’re stuck renting your ex-council house from a private landlord, ffs.
one of my mums friends was raging that her daughter couldn’t get a council house. Said friend had bought their own house back in the early days of Right to Buyfor something ridiculous like £6k and has therefore been mortgage free for decades. Countless foreign hols, pricey extensions and renovations etc yet moaning because the system they benefited from can’t now sustain the younger generation.
the issue is that social housing isn’t being built in line with need.

Reactions: 9
New thread here .....

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.