Unpopular opinions #17

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t think it’s policing conditions or belittling somebody else’s sadness when you are so depressed that you physically cannot get yourself out of bed but are listening to somebody say they’re depressed because they had an argument with their boyfriend.
It literally is policing it…how do you know that argument didn’t make someone feel depressed? And how does their being depressed over an argument detract from your own depression, just because yours is worse doesn’t mean someone else can’t be depressed to a lesser degree over something that you personally consider unimportant. Situational depression exists. To me this whole thing is just weird tbh 🤷🏻‍♀️ Mental health isn’t a competition and sadly there’s more than enough MH issues to go around.

Reactions: 16
I don’t think it’s policing conditions or belittling somebody else’s sadness when you are so depressed that you physically cannot get yourself out of bed but are listening to somebody say they’re depressed because they had an argument with their boyfriend.
Well said. None of us our claiming that our mental health issues are worse than anyone else's mental health issues, just that there's a difference between an anxiety disorder and being a bit nervous, and depression and being a bit pissed off. I for one, don't like labels, but I also don't like very real, very debilitating conditions being minimised and dismissed.

Reactions: 6
Agreed. Cheap bangers are the best 😀😎
I've never really liked sausages, ate veggie ones for years. Then a few years ago we had a BBQ at home and my partner was like 'cheap sausages are the best BBQ food'.

So I bought these dirt cheap ones in Iceland, like 20 for £1. They were only 40% meat I think, mostly rusk and water. Anyway they were the best sausages I'd ever had 😂 😂 I'll never buy expensive ones again!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Nah, you all take yourselves and your illnesses too seriously. I also suffer with mental health problems but if somebody tells me they feel depressed, when they're clearly just a bit sad, I don't feel offended.

And it's not a false equivalance you're all just too precious about your little labels.
I’d rather hear someone casually say they’re depressed than listen to someone self-diagnosed banging on about x, y or z condition you can guarantee they don’t have. Or even worse, when it’s secondhand “sincerely, mother of a child who is on the spectrum” 🤮 (seen that on Reddit at the weekend).

Reactions: 8
I never use but now will just so I can annoy you. Some people get offended by everything 🤦🏼‍♀️

Should I be offended by somebody who says “you nearly gave me a heart attack” because my dad had a few?

Honestly I dread for society, nuclear war might not be a bad thing
Slightly childish reply but each to their own. If it makes you feel better or good to use it repeatedly to attempt to annoy me then go ahead. Not much I can do about that.

I still stand by what I say. It is a mental health condition that is overused and minimised in our vocabulary as an adjective sadly and does minimise the very real devastating reality of this illness that takes people away from their loved ones and changes their whole lives. It ruins lives. So to hear it being flung about so flippantly by people all the time is quite gutting when you suffer it every day.

Reactions: 5
And if you really suffer with a MH condition then you will know that something that feels insignificant to you, can feel like the end of the world to them. Which is the point of saying some people think they have the monopoly on their labels

Slightly childish reply but each to their own. If it makes you feel better or good to use it repeatedly to attempt to annoy me then go ahead. Not much I can do about that.

I still stand by what I say. It is a mental health condition that is overused and minimised in our vocabulary as an adjective sadly and does minimise the very real devastating reality of this illness that takes people away from their loved ones and changes their whole lives. It ruins lives. So to hear it being flung about so flippantly by people all the time is quite gutting when you suffer it every day.
I am childish, I am also a petty witch and can hold a grudge for years. My enemies are many.

Anyway, you can't police how people feel because you think you or someone you know are "worse off" I hate people who act like others can't say things because your little "label" are so important

Anyway my UO today is that I think Gordan Ramsey is an over rated twit. He's food's not even that great

Reactions: 3
And if you really suffer with a MH condition then you will know that something that feels insignificant to you, can feel like the end of the world to them. Which is the point of saying some people think they have the monopoly on their labels

I am childish, I am also a petty witch and can hold a grudge for years. My enemies are many.

Anyway, you can't police how people feel because you think you or someone you know are "worse off" I hate people who act like others can't say things because your little "label" are so important

Anyway my UO today is that I think Gordan Ramsey is an over rated twit. He's food's not even that great
It is not a label. It’s a mental illness and I think you’re missing the point of what I was saying. I think we will leave it there.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
UO: I hate bickering about mental health issues. We're all a bit mad in our own way.

Now back to sausages. The only way to eat them is with mash and gravy. Anything else is just wrong. Same as bacon. Away with your full English, it has to be served in a white bread sandwich with brown sauce.

And now I'm hungry and IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT :D

Reactions: 7
You can have an opinion without being an arse about it
(Unrelated to this thread ofc🙂)

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.