Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My friend group just always paid for our own meals+ drinks, none of this splitting the bill nonsense.

My friend offered to pay me 99p for her mcflurry. Which I didn't accept.
is this where i tell the tale about when I was invited along as part of a group to have lunch with a member of a world famous rock band and even though I was hungry I only ordered what I could afford which was a small plate of sweet potato fries and a drink (i think it was a pint of cider) whatever it was it came to about £20. At the end of the meal people started to get up and leave and I realised that nobody seemed to be asking for the bill or paying for their food which struck me as odd.. then I realised that the band member had paid the bill. I didn't know him personally at this point though he had been the one to ask me and my friend along and being a proud Northerner who always believes in paying her own way I then made sure to seek him out and give him the £20. He took it!

The guy is a millionaire btw and owns fancy flashy cars and his own helicopter.. I can see the funny side now as I know him a bit better now via him managing a friend but still...

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
is this where i tell the tale about when I was invited along as part of a group to have lunch with a member of a world famous rock band and even though I was hungry I only ordered what I could afford which was a small plate of sweet potato fries and a drink (i think it was a pint of cider) whatever it was it came to about £20. At the end of the meal people started to get up and leave and I realised that nobody seemed to be asking for the bill or paying for their food which struck me as odd.. then I realised that the band member had paid the bill. I didn't know him personally at this point though he had been the one to ask me and my friend along and being a proud Northerner who always believes in paying her own way I then made sure to seek him out and give him the £20. He took it!

The guy is a millionaire btw and owns fancy flashy cars and his own helicopter.. I can see the funny side now as I know him a bit better now via him managing a friend but still...
Just because hw has money he shouldn’t have taken the £20? Makes no sense. If somebody wants to pay for their meal why should he argue over it?
He probably get’s stuck having to pay just because he’s “loaded”

Reactions: 13
Prisons are full of all the socially maladjusted abused mentally Ill and morally corrupt people in society. Of course they are going to fit in better in an environment where they are told what to do punished by their own standard and don’t have to think how they are going to provide for themselves. We then push them back into society with very little help and all the existing problems they had before and expect them to be better people. That is always going to work!

Reactions: 10
Just because hw has money he shouldn’t have taken the £20? Makes no sense. If somebody wants to pay for their meal why should he argue over it?
He probably get’s stuck having to pay just because he’s “loaded”
yeah it kinda works like you have to know the guy.. he is kinda tight. I think its a complex thing. it's not the principle because as I said i prefer to pay but i think its funny how i starved, pretended I wasn't hungry etc....TBH i was actually more shocked at all the people who didn't offer.. and I hope it made him think better of me especially as I was unemployed at the time

• Heart
Reactions: 6
The expectation of trigger warnings around pregnancy announcements 🙄🙄

I’m very sorry if you cannot conceive naturally, you have my every sympathy it must be difficult but you cannot expect everyone else to censor sharing their news to family members and friends online or expressing their joy on what is such a massive moment in life.

It’s arrogant in my opinion. Do we hide alcohol away in Tesco’s because alcoholics exist? Do we take the calories off food packets in case of those with eating disorders? No. Recognise that something is a sore subject for you and take steps to deal with it instead of expecting the whole world to accommodate you.
similarly are all these options to opt out of advertising for certain events during the year...such as Mothers or Fathers Day, Easter ....even Christmas!
Ive just received email from Thortful Cards about option to opt out of receiving Valentines Day advertising 😀 i mean does anyone really get that het up about receiving/ not receiving a Valentine Card other than Teenagers from their crush.
i get certain days must be upsetting if youve lost a parent but before the days of social media people seemed to be able just accept these events still apply to others and didnt take it as a personal attack on their circumstances

• Heart
Reactions: 15
similarly are all these options to opt out of advertising for certain events during the year...such as Mothers or Fathers Day, Easter ....even Christmas!
Ive just received email from Thortful Cards about option to opt out of receiving Valentines Day advertising 😀 i mean does anyone really get that het up about receiving/ not receiving a Valentine Card other than Teenagers from their crush.
i get certain days must be upsetting if youve lost a parent but before the days of social media people seemed to be able just accept these events still apply to others and didnt take it as a personal attack on their circumstances
Yes, or when single mothers hijack father's day. It's not all about you, love. Good fathers don't deserve to have their thunder stolen.

Reactions: 28
I will never go to Greece because of its toilet situation. All those great ancient minds, and they couldn't design a decent enough sewage system for putting bog roll down the shitter :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
I will never go to Greece because of its toilet situation. All those great ancient minds, and they couldn't design a decent enough sewage system for putting bog roll down the shitter :ROFLMAO:
OMG it drove me mad when I went to Corfu however Zante was OK.

Reactions: 2
I find that the social aspect of such days is much more pressure than random advertising
I honestly think a lot of the opt out options you mentioned are there to 'sell' the shop/brand to the person more than anything. It's on a similar level as everything being rainbow for one month of the year before companies revert back to their normal logos

Reactions: 7
I find that the social aspect of such days is much more pressure than random advertising
I honestly think a lot of the opt out options you mentioned are there to 'sell' the shop/brand to the person more than anything. It's on a similar level as everything being rainbow for one month of the year before companies revert back to their normal logos

Omg corporate pandering to LBGT pi$$es me off so much!!! Completely silent in the 1980's / 1990's when the gay community needed an ally.

Now LGBT is accepted by pretty much everyone and showing support is not one degree of controversial, they cant print the rainbows fast enough.

Though I hate much more the idiot consumers who lap it up.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Fed up of the trend for colourising old photos. I can see the appeal when it's done well, but a lot of it is guesswork. They often look tacky, and at worst, creepy.

Reactions: 13
People who post about donating to charity or talk about it out loud a lot make me cringe. When they ask very obvious questions that could easily be googled like what they should do with their old stuff, how to donate to a charity etc.
On a similar vein, knuckle draggers on local FB pages who reply to posts asking for help/donations for overseas charities/refugees with “WAt BoUt ArE OwN!!!!???!?!!!” need rounding up and deporting from the town because you know they do duck all for local charities.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
While we are on about charity those bloody street sign up people are beyond annoying! I want to rugby tackle them out my way. Always plonked next to cash lines and outside shops.

Also (and this may be very unpopular) but the constant charity adverts on TV. Think majority of people give when they can and what they can however a lot are now sick of it as majority of money is taken in admin fees or corrupt governments and the people never see it.

For £100 a month you can give clean water to a village for half an hour 🙄 we been giving it for how many years now why do these people still not have water?

Reactions: 23
When I went to Cyprus I used the loo in the airport and was hit by the no paper down the toilet thing and I'd completely forgotten about that being an issue however that was the only place were it happened. Everywhere else was business as usual ;)

They must have upgraded their sewage systems.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
The bloody FA cup! its been on TV all over the weekend..nearly whole day yesterday and its on again tonight!

Reactions: 8
Fed up of the trend for colourising old photos. I can see the appeal when it's done well, but a lot of it is guesswork. They often look tacky, and at worst, creepy.
On YouTube there’s a few where they’ve also used AI to colourise them and also make them move.

On a similar vein, knuckle draggers on local FB pages who reply to posts asking for help/donations for overseas charities/refugees with “WAt BoUt ArE OwN!!!!???!?!!!” need rounding up and deporting from the town because you know they do duck all for local charities.
Literally social media is so toxic for this. People just don’t want to bother. If you don’t want to donate, don’t but don’t moan at people for helping.
Seen this many times before I got rid of FB

Person- “Please consider donating to this Afghan refugee camp”

Social media- “what about the poor in this country”

Person- “Ok please donate to this single mother, she’s struggling to support her kids and it would give them a really nice Xmas”

Social media “I bet they’re lying to get benefits”

Reactions: 17
Today's op, people that try to sell on stuff for the label price or at a tiny reduction.

I don't care if it's still got the tags on. It's still second hand. If your not going to give a discount I'll just go to the shop and buy a new one.

You may have only worn those boots twice, but they have still had your feet in them, so they are still worn and second hand. I'd rather pay the extra tenner and get new ones that don't have someone's else's foot sweat in them.

A vaccume you only used once or twice, it's still got the dirt from your house in it. And your probably selling it because it's crap. No I won't give you 90% of its original cost.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.