Unjaded Jade

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ll be honest I did a 3 year and then another year on top, I owe the government loads because my living loan was much higher as my parents aren’t well off, I’ll never pay it off and it doesn’t really affect anything I do like mortgage etc, it’ll get wiped before I’ve even paid it off 😂 it’s just like another tax but at a much lower rate! No one is put off by the cost of the uni fees, it’s the living costs that are the problem! First year accommodation run by unis is super expensive somewhere in the region of £6k for what most students get!
Yeh true, also if you have to buy textbooks etc (like I did ) it really adds up

Reactions: 1
I’ll be honest I did a 3 year and then another year on top, I owe the government loads because my living loan was much higher as my parents aren’t well off, I’ll never pay it off and it doesn’t really affect anything I do like mortgage etc, it’ll get wiped before I’ve even paid it off 😂 it’s just like another tax but at a much lower rate! No one is put off by the cost of the uni fees, it’s the living costs that are the problem! First year accommodation run by unis is super expensive somewhere in the region of £6k for what most students get!
I’d understand more if she went to a UK uni as she wouldn’t lose out as much financially for doing a degree but minerva loans are through the American system plus fees are higher. She’ll have to start repaying immediately and the debt will not be wiped like in the UK. I guess if daddy’s rich she might be paying upfront or something because she still went there at the end of the day and wouldn’t have if she couldn’t afford it.

Reactions: 6
Ugh the manifestation thing annoys me so much. I have both a BA and almost have an MA. I've worked really hard during my studies and have go alot of experience and now work as a teaching assistant. Of course one would assume that I would want to qualify as a teacher and move into the higher paying role. But it's not going to happen. I can't manifest it just like that. I'm autistic and as a result have selective mutism, so a more qualified job would have me on mental health leave every month. She is able to do these things because she has MONEY. Like in reality she wouldn't have even been able to commit to YouTube full time if she had to get a fast food job to support her like a strong majority of first year uni students 🤷🏽‍♀️ she rubs me the wrong way honestly

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Screenshot_20200810-204446_Twitter.jpg

An (ex) influencer retweeted this on Twitter and it reminds me of Jade 😂. I wonder if it is a dig at her as I believe Liv and Jade are (kind of) in the same YouTube friendship group.

I'm also fed up of Jade trying to speak on behalf of people of colour and those from poor/working class backgrounds, when she has never experienced racism or poverty herself. Can she stop speaking on behalf of them please and instead elevate the voices of those who are actually affected by these issues!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 30
YES! Jade literally fails to fully acknowledge the fact that her already heightened level of privilege from being white, combined with the fact she has access to money (both her own and her family’s) gives her the chance to do so much more!!

Fine she can do that, but come ON, it’s nothing to do with manifesting, it’s to do with your already heightened level of privilege 🥴

Reactions: 16
Ugh the manifestation thing annoys me so much. I have both a BA and almost have an MA. I've worked really hard during my studies and have go alot of experience and now work as a teaching assistant. Of course one would assume that I would want to qualify as a teacher and move into the higher paying role. But it's not going to happen. I can't manifest it just like that. I'm autistic and as a result have selective mutism, so a more qualified job would have me on mental health leave every month. She is able to do these things because she has MONEY. Like in reality she wouldn't have even been able to commit to YouTube full time if she had to get a fast food job to support her like a strong majority of first year uni students 🤷🏽‍♀️ she rubs me the wrong way honestly

Sorry to derail slightly, but I’m autistic and a teacher, happy to chat if you did ever want to consider training! But I totally agree with the point that you’re making; Jade just doesn’t appreciate how privileged she is to be able to ‘manifest’ things, eg, knows her Dad will bail her out if needed.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Sorry to derail slightly, but I’m autistic and a teacher, happy to chat if you did ever want to consider training! But I totally agree with the point that you’re making; Jade just doesn’t appreciate how privileged she is to be able to ‘manifest’ things, eg, knows her Dad will bail her out if needed.
Thanks for the offer! To be honest I've become very happy in the position in, mental health wise it's much better than a slightly higher income due to my specific challenges :) but it does bring an interesting point about how the way jade speaks makes it seem like 'entry level' jobs aren't a good level of success. (Tbh I hate the term entry level anyway! It's totally fine to be in a lower paid job your whole life if it gives you the lifestyle you want) not everything should be about career 🙄

Reactions: 13
Part of her privilege is thinking she knows enough about the universe to make teachable videos on content like jobs and personal finance.

Her video about a credit card application was terrible! I genuinely had to go into the comments and try and send people asking Jade advice about credit cards on to Money Saving Expert/other well-researched personal finance resources. In that video, she acts all shocked Pikachu face that she got rejected for 3 credit cards after applying for 3 in a row.

No mention of doing soft checks to make sure she was likely to succeed in the first application, the fact that applying for credit lines makes each subsequent application more likely to fail, that there is no single "credit score" but merely a collection of information in your credit report lenders will assess using their own criteria...

Reactions: 19
Part of her privilege is thinking she knows enough about the universe to make teachable videos on content like jobs and personal finance.

Her video about a credit card application was terrible! I genuinely had to go into the comments and try and send people asking Jade advice about credit cards on to Money Saving Expert/other well-researched personal finance resources. In that video, she acts all shocked Pikachu face that she got rejected for 3 credit cards after applying for 3 in a row.

No mention of doing soft checks to make sure she was likely to succeed in the first application, the fact that applying for credit lines makes each subsequent application more likely to fail, that there is no single "credit score" but merely a collection of information in your credit report lenders will assess using their own criteria...
Yeah the credit card video annoyed me too since I'm at the age where I should be applying for them, and I'm sorry but a 20 year old YouTube student who read 1 book isn't going to be the one I turn to for financial advice.

Reactions: 12
I thought Jade was the queen of organisation yet her and her friend book the wrong dates for their holiday??

Even people who don’t claim to be organised don’t seem to mess stuff like that up! I wonder either a) she did it on purpose to make a post about spontaneity or b) she made it up in order to make the Instagram post.

Attachments

Reactions: 4
An (ex) influencer retweeted this on Twitter and it reminds me of Jade 😂. I wonder if it is a dig at her as I believe Liv and Jade are (kind of) in the same YouTube friendship group.

I'm also fed up of Jade trying to speak on behalf of people of colour and those from poor/working class backgrounds, when she has never experienced racism or poverty herself. Can she stop speaking on behalf of them please and instead elevate the voices of those who are actually affected by these issues!!!
Also, Liv lives very close to me and can confirm the diversity levels of schools etc are very much white in the minority (live in a densely populated BAME area of London) so I would guess her understanding of inherent and institutional racism is far higher than Jade‘s ‘I’ve read an article so I know it all’ is.

Reactions: 8
Also, Liv lives very close to me and can confirm the diversity levels of schools etc are very much white in the minority (live in a densely populated BAME area of London) so I would guess her understanding of inherent and institutional racism is far higher than Jade‘s ‘I’ve read an article so I know it all’ is.
Liv is legit. She's sometimes a little bit preachy, but you can tell it's coming from the right place. I really like how she talks about social issues seriously without dancing around the subject too much. Jade on the other hand is all 'guyZzZzZ racism is bad!' and probably dances ""quirkily"" to music at the start/

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Liv is legit. She's sometimes a little bit preachy, but you can tell it's coming from the right place. I really like how she talks about social issues seriously without dancing around the subject too much. Jade on the other hand is all 'guyZzZzZ racism is bad!' and probably dances ""quirkily"" to music at the start/
That is literally what I mean, like everyone can have more to learn etc, but Jade is all about Jade 🙄

Reactions: 6
Really quite shocked with Jade’s approach to results day. I know so many people who have been totally let down by the gov because they’re colleges/sixth forms are in areas of deprivation/ typically do badly and now can’t go to uni despite knowing that they should’ve gotten their offers.... and Jade says if your upset you should vibe with your siblings?! It’s just so insensitive as so many people’s lives have been turned over today because of their (lack of) privilege. I know she was trying to be nice and once again I’m sure she is conventionally nice but it just feels so out of touch once again.

Reactions: 24
I also read about a concept called toxic positivity today and instantly associated it with her, I’m sure she means well but just doesn’t understand how others have influences in their life where they can’t ‘just smile and dance’ or hug their parents.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Really quite shocked with Jade’s approach to results day. I know so many people who have been totally let down by the gov because they’re colleges/sixth forms are in areas of deprivation/ typically do badly and now can’t go to uni despite knowing that they should’ve gotten their offers.... and Jade says if your upset you should vibe with your siblings?! It’s just so insensitive as so many people’s lives have been turned over today because of their (lack of) privilege. I know she was trying to be nice and once again I’m sure she is conventionally nice but it just feels so out of touch once again.
I was shocked by her posts today. I understand 'trying to see the bright side', but when her first suggestion is to resit the exams which costs money and means taking a year out, that's already not great. And she pulled the classic 'A levels are just a stepping stone! They're not everything' line when to an 18 year old who has spent their life working towards their A levels, that's little comfort. She's so out of touch.

Reactions: 20
It’s like Jade has forgotten how much her A-Levels meant to her. She cried on social media and the news picked up on it, and started a YouTube channel based around her A-Levels. To her, her exams were her life, and I think it’s sad to see how out of touch and overly positive she’s become.

I have family who have been let down completely and will have to retake in the Autumn, and it’s not just a case of ‘seeing the bright side’, it’s a case of them having to start back at work with a global pandemic going on.

Reactions: 20
Also for all those who have been forced to take a gap year it's not even like they can get a job and save up and go travelling because there's a global pandemic and recession. There are no jobs.

Not everyone has rich families or a youtube career to pay for all their adventures and help them smile/dance through a catastrophe.

Reactions: 21
I'm heartbroken on behalf of those massively let down by the downgrading of results. I hope Jade and co don't drag it out this week with all the manifest, redirection stuff. Yes rejection = redirection might apply in a normal year where a student has legitimately done worse than predictions and missed out on uni. This year however, for students who deserved AAA and got CCC for example, i.e a MASSIVE portion of the cohort, saying "gap yahhhh" or "manifest an alternative path" is just a massive slap in the face. So many students have been massively let down after such a crappy year, through no failing of their own.

Also, calling them a stepping stone to the cohort that just got them is so belittling. I’m sure they know, but for someone who allegedly had their mental health ruined by t a level pressure you’d think she could show a bit more empathy. Can’t remember if I said this on jacks or jades threads but I really think studytubers should’ve said a generic good luck or just stayed quiet about results this year. It’s not normal times, nothing they say will really help disadvantaged students who really got screwed over yesterday

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.