Unjaded Jade #3 All about casual magic because her real life is tragic

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Long time lurker here!

I was a bit shocked about the Minerva video and I have a question regarding her ability to do a masters degree. I‘m from Germany and our university schedules and exams are a bit different from the UK but she said that her degree is a real degree (which reminded me a lot of arrested development and ‚fake block is real‘:LOL:). Anyway, I was thinking about her actual chances to get into a masters, because her degree seems very vague. I know people who for example did a bachelor in business/media/psychology or something and in the end they didn‘t have enough credit points for either a master in media studies, business studies or psychology.

How does it work in the UK?
Thanks in advance!
You can do a Masters in almost anything if you can make a case for it. Obviously some require undergraduate knowledge of the subject (someone with an English degree isn't going to be doing a Masters in Physics), but you can switch to things if you have real world experience or something. She'd probably be able to get onto a Masters programme with a good personal statement and transcript, but I doubt she'd be able to get on a Psychology Masters if she's not had any experience with running experiments.

Reactions: 4
Long time lurker here!

I was a bit shocked about the Minerva video and I have a question regarding her ability to do a masters degree. I‘m from Germany and our university schedules and exams are a bit different from the UK but she said that her degree is a real degree (which reminded me a lot of arrested development and ‚fake block is real‘:LOL:). Anyway, I was thinking about her actual chances to get into a masters, because her degree seems very vague. I know people who for example did a bachelor in business/media/psychology or something and in the end they didn‘t have enough credit points for either a master in media studies, business studies or psychology.

How does it work in the UK?
Thanks in advance!
I highly doubt she would be able to do a masters in Europe, because she would have a problem with "translating" her classes into an ECTS score. I know in the UK it works differently, but I think she'd have some serious problems if she would even be able to apply at all.

Reactions: 4
Sounds like something she would do, I'm surprised she hasn't milked that yet tbh. Probably waiting for it to become her "brand".

Reactions: 8
I would be very shocked if a UK university took her on for a master's without an incredible personal statement and a lot of evidence proving that the classes she's taking are transferrable to the program she wants to do.

I would be very shocked if a UK university took her on for a master's without an incredible personal statement and a lot of evidence proving that the classes she's taking are transferrable to the program she wants to do.
Master’s degrees are cash cows for UK universities so unless you’re applying to a highly competitive niche course or something that requires specific experience (e.g. lab experience, cough) in some cases it’s easier to get in than undergrad. The bar is surprisingly low for courses which seem prestigious on the face of it... in any case, I don’t think she’d bother doing a UK master’s. But if she did apply I think she’d easily get into the kind of course she would probably apply for, i.e. something relating to business, corporate sustainability etc.

Though the situation is definitely different in universities elsewhere in Europe where you have to jump through a lot more hoops to meet the requirements.

Reactions: 9
So I went on and watched the video here are some of my thoughts
- The thing she's describing about mixing theoretical classes with real-life experience kind of sounds like a university of applied sciences to me. I don't know if they exist in the UK but I did a year at a university of applied sciences in the Netherlands before moving on to a traditional research university and it was all about learning things and then applying them in group projects that would last a whole semester. A lot of these kinds of courses also have internships right from the first year as a core part of the module. The only difference with Minerva is that they offer a recognized bachelors degree lol
- It's nice to hear that she's finally admitting that she isn't handling the pressure that well and that Minerva isn't perfect but why does she keep adding 'that she loves it though'
- Her thoughts on powerful companies ..... interesting to say the least. Seems like the capitalist brainwashing is getting to her.

Reactions: 9
I'm actually very interested in cognitive sciences, but the more I hear people talking about them the more bullshit they sound.
hahaha I can see why, especially listening to Jade's ✨ fascinating ✨ topics she looks at in her classes. I study Psychology, and cognitive sciences as a whole is a great discipline. You just have to be very critical and scientifically rigorous (which is taught at university level), there is a lot of popular psychology bullshit out there!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
i am just about to watch her latest video (out of boredom) I don't get how Minerva is a liberal arts uni? I am not American and this is not a thing we have in the UK as far as I am aware, but isn't it weird for basically everyone in a liberal arts uni to study business? I thought liberal arts was like literature etc?

Reactions: 2
I'm now properly convinced that this girl is just dense af and Oxford saw through her bullshit 'memorise and regurgitate' book smart and rejected her right then and there. The huge businesses aren't "changing the world" out of the kindness of their hearts. Every single act is a step towards more sales and more profit, which is more often than not made at the expense of their employees and the people at the bottom of the income pyramid in a company. Jade please read a goddamn book or two instead of the instagram inspo typography posts, some business tycoon's self congratulatory autobiography or your dad's MLM sermons before you impart wisdom on how to change the sodding world.

I am physically angry at this take of "businesses are so powerful, let's give them even more power" lmao. Is it wonderful that businesses are so powerful that they can affect the end of elections in some countries? Is it so very wonderful that some businesses are single handedly responsible from the tarnish of nature, habitat and employment rates in some countries? Is it admirable that some big businesses have absolutely destroyed local and small businesses with no return and actively forced people to give up their craft, art, generations of family employment? The best part is, this is a girl who preaches about sustainability all damn day long and on top of everything she's said in the past, she clutches her chest in awe and creams herself over a capitalist system which is actively ruining lives and only benefiting a select few. I can't, I need a break from her, I can't even watch to criticise anymore, the stupidity is too strong.

She's the kinda person that is thoroughly impressed by token philanthropy and greenwashing done by large multinational companies to make themselves look better. "WOW LOOK AT THAT CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY". Don't get me wrong, CSR is great, but it should be default - not considered exceptional, especially from the most harmful massive companies that do so much harm.

Reactions: 15
I like the way Jade is emphasising how everything could be graded. A similar things happens at Oxford right?

Can someone explain what happened I don't remember this?
Was it because she disclosed the exact questions she was asked, which you aren't allowed to publicly share during the same application cycle?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I like the way Jade is emphasising how everything could be graded. A similar things happens at Oxford right?
So even though the workload is intense, the weekly essays/problem sheets don't count towards anything. The only stuff that counts towards your final degree classification is your final exams, dissertation, and maybe a few pieces of coursework/extended essays if you have them in your course. So pretty much the opposite of what Minerva does. I think it shows that you don't have to be officially graded throughout the year to do well - most of the work Oxford students do throughout the year doesn't "count" necessarily, but they obviously do fine and get a great education regardless. It allows you to fail and learn, and to experiment and take risks with essays.

I think the system she was describing sounded closest to the American system, where it is my impression (could be wrong) that a lot of the work you do throughout the year counts towards your GPA, rather than it all being concentrated at the end of the year. But Minerva has gone crazy with this - it sounds like their overall grade can be influenced by the silliest metrics like polls during classes and mini quizzes.

i am just about to watch her latest video (out of boredom) I don't get how Minerva is a liberal arts uni? I am not American and this is not a thing we have in the UK as far as I am aware, but isn't it weird for basically everyone in a liberal arts uni to study business? I thought liberal arts was like literature etc?
My uni has a liberal arts course which is basically choices of different modules like sociology, literature, politics, religion, business etc. But I find it really strange that she is doing cognitive neuroscience and business - how do they go together at all? Is she going to be doing different classes next term, will she stick with the cognitive neuroscience and business or can she change. It makes no sense to me that you would do really different subjects. Fair enough if she wants a business degree, but what happened to her wanting to study biology. I highly doubt that studying cognitive neuroscience at Minerva is anything like studying it at normal uni

Reactions: 5
My uni has a liberal arts course which is basically choices of different modules like sociology, literature, politics, religion, business etc. But I find it really strange that she is doing cognitive neuroscience and business - how do they go together at all? Is she going to be doing different classes next term, will she stick with the cognitive neuroscience and business or can she change. It makes no sense to me that you would do really different subjects. Fair enough if she wants a business degree, but what happened to her wanting to study biology. I highly doubt that studying cognitive neuroscience at Minerva is anything like studying it at normal uni
yeh it is so odd, and if she is starting random new subjects each year surely it means she will be studying them all at a first year level? so many negative comments on Minerva on that video!

Hang on in there, hope you can get a bit of a break over Christmas. I don't envy students at the moment. Hopefully in 10 or 20 years time we'll all refer to 2020 as that 'strange year'.
Interestingly, in 1st year we had a class that me and my friend now call "train wreck friday", about 3 people had breakdowns. Hopefully 2020 will just be referred to as "train wreck year".

• Wow
The comment section under Jade’s recent video is ✨carnage✨... bets on Jade taking down the video lmaooo

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
someone also commented that her insta posts about Dutch sinterklaas and stampot dish were incorrect lol i can't with this girl she's always throwing in that she's half Dutch but doesn't understand her own traditions properly??

Reactions: 12
The comment section under Jade’s recent video is ✨carnage✨... bets on Jade taking down the video lmaooo
The comments are giving me ✨life✨ Especially love people saying her ideas about businesses are similar to MLMs. Hmmm I wonder why...

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.