Unjaded Jade #13 The girl who cried oppression

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Loving the comments underneath the video pointing out that traditional unis do all the things Minervans think make them special. Like reading before class. And contributing to discussions. Or studying abroad.

I doubt Minervans will ever admit they've been brainwashed and that they're not special. Their incredibly expensive university experience is average at best.

Reactions: 23
The finance section makes no sense, they're all deluded. They're desperate to prove that Minerva costs just as much/if not less than a traditional US university, yet at the same time admit that scholarships are restricted to school-related costs (e.g. flights), with nothing to cover your day to day living costs unless you do one of their internships or take out a loan with them. They admit the social life of these students suffers a lot. Sounds like a blast. How's that any better than a traditional US university, where low income students can get scholarships that actually cover their maintenance costs?

That aside, the most annoying thing about the video is the weird hand gesture she does when she agrees with someone - she clicks/creepily rubs her fingers together (e.g. see 9.57, 12.55, 21.20, 25.34). It's the pettiest thing ever but it was winding me up, is it some weird Minerva ~vernacular~ thing? Like it's the driest conversation ever and she's doing the most - one guy says "our classes aren't that long" and in response she vigorously nods her head/says "mhmmm"/clicks her fingers like he just made some kind of groundbreaking comment?! It's bizarre.

Reactions: 14
The finance section makes no sense, they're all deluded. They're desperate to prove that Minerva costs just as much/if not less than a traditional US university, yet at the same time admit that scholarships are restricted to school-related costs (e.g. flights), with nothing to cover your day to day living costs unless you do one of their internships or take out a loan with them. They admit the social life of these students suffers a lot. Sounds like a blast. How's that any better than a traditional US university, where low income students can get scholarships that actually cover their maintenance costs?

That aside, the most annoying thing about the video is the weird hand gesture she does when she agrees with someone - she clicks/creepily rubs her fingers together (e.g. see 9.57, 12.55, 21.20, 25.34). It's the pettiest thing ever but it was winding me up, is it some weird Minerva ~vernacular~ thing? Like it's the driest conversation ever and she's doing the most - one guy says "our classes aren't that long" and in response she vigorously nods her head/says "mhmmm"/clicks her fingers like he just made some kind of groundbreaking comment?! It's bizarre.
As a UK student it just doesn't make sense to go to minerva unless you get a full scholarship including a living stipend. You'd have to pay all fees and living costs upfront, and it is 4 years instead of 3. I did 4 years of uni in the UK, including a year abroad in Australia, took the max loan I was eligible for and ended up with ~55k in loans. I've never paid back more than £10 a month on a £30ishk salary.

Reactions: 15
As a UK student it just doesn't make sense to go to minerva unless you get a full scholarship including a living stipend. You'd have to pay all fees and living costs upfront, and it is 4 years instead of 3. I did 4 years of uni in the UK, including a year abroad in Australia, took the max loan I was eligible for and ended up with ~55k in loans. I've never paid back more than £10 a month on a £30ishk salary.
Thing is for jade though, it’s a drop in the ocean. She’s been earning mega money for ages and we all know her dad is on £££££ so really freebie or not she was gonna pick this
“Quirky” option to be like duck Oxford unlike the rest of the rejectes that end up at a cluster of unis in the UK

Reactions: 8

I've only ever seen finger clicking like that in two spaces - one being during speeches or spoken word poetry because it's less disruptive than clapping (though this is very rare and seems performative af), and two being to replace applause in consideration for people who have sensory processing issues, though again this is extremely rare. I've only witnessed it once and that was in consideration for a specific person, it didn't happen for the whole event. As someone who falls into the latter category, it came off very pretentious and weird in the video. Minerva has almost definitely re-defined it as a sassy, intellectual girl-boss way to demonstrate your agreement without having to form logical sentences and use big words 😍

Reactions: 10
I’d love to hear what it’s like being disabled at Minerva… except I don’t think it’s even accessible enough for anyone whose disabled.

Reactions: 18
I've only ever seen finger clicking like that in two spaces - one being during speeches or spoken word poetry because it's less disruptive than clapping (though this is very rare and seems performative af), and two being to replace applause in consideration for people who have sensory processing issues, though again this is extremely rare. I've only witnessed it once and that was in consideration for a specific person, it didn't happen for the whole event. As someone who falls into the latter category, it came off very pretentious and weird in the video. Minerva has almost definitely re-defined it as a sassy, intellectual girl-boss way to demonstrate your agreement without having to form logical sentences and use big words 😍
in Austria and Germany students knock on the table instead of clapping. We do this after every lecture, it is less loud then clapping, less cheerful in a way. and one can finish his or her notes or start packing stuff bc it requires only one hand ;)

Reactions: 11
I’d love to hear what it’s like being disabled at Minerva… except I don’t think it’s even accessible enough for anyone whose disabled.
It's not really suitable for anyone with any kind of health issues (mental or physical) either what with not being able to miss any classes

Reactions: 7
It's not really suitable for anyone with any kind of health issues (mental or physical) either what with not being able to miss any classes
I'm wondering if that's how minerva gets its accreditation because not only are they fully online, but they tie some of their course outcomes and grades to class discussions. There are some asynchronous degrees in the US, so I don't know, but that's the only benefit I can imagine other than just wanting the program to seem "rigorous"

Thing is for jade though, it’s a drop in the ocean. She’s been earning mega money for ages and we all know her dad is on £££££ so really freebie or not she was gonna pick this
“Quirky” option to be like duck Oxford unlike the rest of the rejectes that end up at a cluster of unis in the UK
Completely agree with this but I also think she had so many other relatively unconventional options! She could've left the UK altogether rather than being confined to the popular Oxbridge reject options. She has the money to study abroad and dual citizenship with an EU country - she could've gone anywhere in the EU and travelled to different countries regularly due to the proximity, she could've gone to the USA and travelled around the different states in the holidays... I just don't understand why the quirkiness of Minerva outweighed the other unconventional options that would've led to her actually feeling like she belonged in a place for 3 or 3 years. That said, I suppose I'm applying my own logic here and we all know Jade doesn't care for that!

Reactions: 15
Completely agree with this but I also think she had so many other relatively unconventional options! She could've left the UK altogether rather than being confined to the popular Oxbridge reject options. She has the money to study abroad and dual citizenship with an EU country - she could've gone anywhere in the EU and travelled to different countries regularly due to the proximity, she could've gone to the USA and travelled around the different states in the holidays... I just don't understand why the quirkiness of Minerva outweighed the other unconventional options that would've led to her actually feeling like she belonged in a place for 3 or 3 years. That said, I suppose I'm applying my own logic here and we all know Jade doesn't care for that!
Exactly, if I was her with her EU passport I would have gone to a university in an EU country and tried to do erasmus/or a British uni with a study abroad option, or just done Open University and travel around while I did it. Minerva has obviously always been a scam but the pandemic has shown also how little their "amazing online" model is in any way novel or different, with the added disadvantage of being a ridiculous course with no credibility

Reactions: 13
Exactly, if I was her with her EU passport I would have gone to a university in an EU country and tried to do erasmus/or a British uni with a study abroad option, or just done Open University and travel around while I did it. Minerva has obviously always been a scam but the pandemic has shown also how little their "amazing online" model is in any way novel or different, with the added disadvantage of being a ridiculous course with no credibility
Literally she could've gone to an EU university and also funded four years of travel for the same cost as Minerva, and she probably wouldn't have had to share a room doing that

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I'm wondering if that's how minerva gets its accreditation because not only are they fully online, but they tie some of their course outcomes and grades to class discussions. There are some asynchronous degrees in the US, so I don't know, but that's the only benefit I can imagine other than just wanting the program to seem "rigorous"
Literally she could've gone to an EU university and also funded four years of travel for the same cost as Minerva, and she probably wouldn't have had to share a room doing that
I agree cost-wise Minerva is not a great decision, but you have to remember with traveling to different countries for an extended period of time the hard part isn't necessarily cost, but sorting out visas and housing arrangements. I think one of the only benefits of Minerva is that it takes a lot of the guesswork out of traveling, but as many people have pointed out, that's a rich people problem. I don't know many people who travel as often as Jade or most YouTubers.

I agree cost-wise Minerva is not a great decision, but you have to remember with traveling to different countries for an extended period of time the hard part isn't necessarily cost, but sorting out visas and housing arrangements. I think one of the only benefits of Minerva is that it takes a lot of the guesswork out of traveling, but as many people have pointed out, that's a rich people problem. I don't know many people who travel as often as Jade or most YouTubers.
The thing is, from what Minerva students have said, the university gives no support with getting visas and a lot of them were in their current country on tourist visas rather than student visas.

Reactions: 7

Another lost Minerva grad, hopping from one cult to another...they're drawn to them like moths to a candle.

• Wow
Reactions: 5

Another lost Minerva grad, hopping from one cult to another...they're drawn to them like moths to a candle.
What on earth?! They're living in Disney land?! Inpresume she is also being paid by minerva, they seem to hVe an inordinate amount of students with quite big social media. Did anyone ever see YouTube videos by Americans doing "semester at sea"?

Reactions: 3
Did anyone ever see YouTube videos by Americans doing "semester at sea"?
oh God yes, I've fallen down the rabbit hole watching those before. It's also clear they're not actually studying, just pretending to be students while on a cruise for an exorbitant amount of money

Reactions: 3
What on earth?! They're living in Disney land?! Inpresume she is also being paid by minerva, they seem to hVe an inordinate amount of students with quite big social media. Did anyone ever see YouTube videos by Americans doing "semester at sea"?
I think she's probably doing one of Disney's career programs! They have a college program and internships etc. https://jobs.disneycareers.com/disney-programs#college Not a career choice I would make but I've come across people from different US universities doing the same thing on social media before.

I do think Minerva students get money (maybe some money off the fees?) for posting/sharing about their course.

Reactions: 1
I started following Jade at the end of 2017 when one of her 5am morning routine videos appeared in my recommendations. She seemed alright back then; we were in the same year group, and her videos helped me stay motivated with my A Level revision.

She seemed a bit lost when she got rejected from Oxford, and I had the vibe she wasn't 100% sure about studying at the Uni of Bristol, so I thought a gap year was a smart move. WRONG! Unfollowed when she revealed the Minerva thing - the whole concept of the institution seemed ludicrous 🤣. I wasn't surprised to hear she didn't follow the rules during the pandemic.

She had a lot of potential and wasted it by attending some airhead 'university'. I don't think she's grown or developed since starting her course at Minerva, she's just more cringe 😬.

Jade is as bad as Ruby - they live in some fantasy world, most likely don't know what it's like to actually struggle given their parents' backgrounds, and won't ever know the meaning of hard work aside from academia. They have an immature approach to life.

Apologies for the rant - I swear I'm okay lmao

Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.