Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

StatusWoe

VIP Member
Isn't CODE university where Jade's German ex(?) boyfriend went to?! I swear it's the same one, I recognise the name. Weird.

Even though on paper it costs the same as 3 years at a UK university, in real terms it is far more expensive, because at a UK university you get government loans. Whereas Jade's family MLM victims will be paying £10k a year straight up for him to attend this university, and that isn't including accommodation/general living costs.

Also if anyone wants a giggle, it seems like CODE is a laughing stock in Germany:

Honestly, I can't stand Folk, but it still makes me sad to think he got into unis like UCL and Edinburgh (I forget exactly where he applied to, but he seemed to have some great offers) and he's throwing all of that away for an overpriced uni that's not taken seriously by anyone. He and Jade both got excellent grades, but they surely can't have any critical thinking skills.

• Sad
Reactions: 49

Merpedy

VIP Member
“How is lil old Jade from her lil town studying here”

Money. That’s how. Your town being small means nothing

• Sick
Reactions: 42

HollyLeaf

Cannot stand rich privileged people who have been handed everything on a plate and moan when they actually do have to do some work.

You know what's more annoying than people not recognising your 20 hours of Youtube work? Doing 60 hours a week in a hard job with high levels of responsibility and still not being able to pay your rent and buy essentials. Watching rich young brats living a lavish life thanks to "influencing" vulnerable teens with toxic messages and using daddy's toxic MLM money as a back-up.

That's a lot more annoying.

• Heart
Reactions: 41

n8459

Chatty Member
“We still need feminism in the uk but did you know women have fewer rights and freedoms in other countries???????”
wow jade, truly groundbreaking. Good to know that overpriced education is worth it

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38

Lovely_rita

Oh gawd, she has done a story talking about her Gap Yah. She really recommends taking a Gap Yah for all the cliche reasons and talks about how amazing it was.

Jade, not everyone is in the position to travel the world like you did. It costs a fortune, even backpacking. I am sick of travellers who insist everyone can do it like they did.

I only managed to travel because my parents let me live at home rent free. I am extremely privileged, and I know how lucky I am for that.

It is so insensitive to brag about taking a Gap Yah travelling and telling everyone they MUST do it. Especially with the state of the economy now, and the eye watering uni fees. She really is so tone deaf.

She shoehorns in that she was head girl at the time, and said NO head girl at her school had ever taken a Gap Yah before. I don't believe that for a second. Again, trying to be so different and special.

Also mentioned being rejected from Oxford again, but she refuses to say the name. Like Oxford is Voldmort. She really is a brat.

• Haha
Reactions: 36

duskwithoutdawn

Chatty Member
I swear kids these days don’t learn anything to study, they just learn how not to speak up when someone says they’re marshmallow gender or something 😂

Joking apart I guess they’re on TikTok or something else not of our generation like Twitch
a double whammy of not only misunderstanding the problems with the current education system, but thrown in a side of homophobia too

untitled-design-2022-05-06t155715919.png

Reactions: 35

renta

the comment she made on one of her stories the other day really annoyed me ngl. something about her friend being on his 7th assignment extension so he could come on a day trip with them to a taiwanese city and how "in 5 years he wont remember the assignment but he will remember this day". sure i agree sometimes you need to take time to make memories and do stuff for yourself. but who tf gets 7 extensions???? i have a hard enough time asking for one extension from a professor. and we dont all have the luxury of being able to bin the whole day off and go gallavanting around.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 34
I'm a British student who's been living in Taipei for a year now and couldn't cope with her last video LOL

The bit about 'plants being integrated into the city' - I can see how she'd think that because it basically just holds true for the little side streets around NTU (where she's been studying) and some other universities close by. These are really expensive and gentrified areas specifically because they're pretty, but I can see why she'd hang around there, prob thinks it's casual magic. I wouldn't say the rest of the city is like that - probably on par with London. Like there are parks, but also areas (lots of them) that seem 100% concrete and are dominated by traffic.

My jaw dropped at the 'hustle culture' thing - Taiwan has imported a lot of its work culture from Japan, and the hustle-y aspects still stand. Like if you get a festival day off from work, you're expected to go in on a Saturday to 'make up for it'. Every Taiwanese person my age I befriended talked about feeling extreme academic and financial pressure. There's an insane after-school tutoring culture as well, which is similar to South Korea's. She lives nowhere near the financial/business district in the city so it sounds like she's extrapolating from her tiny international student campus bubble? Obviously she doesn't speak Chinese but she could have done even a tiny bit of research. It came off as sooo spoiled and sheltered.

I've seen tai chi/swordfighting/martial arts in parks too - this is very standard for a country with a large Sinophone population, and I def think there would be public health benefits from importing it to the UK. Way she brought it up was weird though.

Forgot to post about this when it happened but when Jack Edwards went to visit her and she took a photo of him literally clasping his hands and praying at a temple? Idk, seemed disrespectful somehow, not really a usual thing for Western visitors to do. Esp as a lot of the deities in temples here are distinctly coastal Taiwanese or Sinospheric, and esp if you're being photographed.

This is just a normal city where normal people live. I'm not sure what leads someone to move country like 6 times, study with a ton of international students, and STILL talk about foreign populations in this weird fetishy/exceptional way - it's like a lost cause. Sounds like she wandered through a gift shop or something to look at novelty tea towels and missed the actual 'travelling' part

Also I hope Minerva aren't scamming them into paying SF rent for a 6-person NTU dorm LOL

• Heart
  • Wow

ECH

VIP Member
God every time she posts about “how did I do this I come from a small village” speech…..

Money Jade, the answer is money
A 'small town' in the London commuter belt, hardly like she's a rags to riches story

• Haha

pineapplesandcheese

Oh FFS I'm so sick of Disney gifting trips to influencers who are wealthy enough to pay for it themselves. There are children who've never had any holiday abroad yet alone Disneyland because they can't afford it but let's take 22 year old Jade to Disneyland for free 🙃🙃

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Anyone can study abroad if they put their mind to it ✨️ just be born wealthy and don't worry about trivial things like learning the language 😃

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32

n8459

Chatty Member
God every time she posts about “how did I do this I come from a small village” speech…..

Money Jade, the answer is money

Deeznutslol

VIP Member
It's giving "adhd makes you quIrKy" vibes

You JUST have to do this and boom, no problem at all! 🤪 It's that easy x
As if she has said that 💀.
“ADHD is a superpower” is something you say to a little kid to make them feel better about their diagnosis. Calling any neurodevelopmental disorder a ‘superpower’ to an adult is just downright patronizing.

• Angry

slamvs27

VIP Member
Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 10.41.31 AM.png

Wow, a new video in response to all our thoughts! Very well-timed, Jade.

As you can see, everyone is super hyped to be there. And trying super hard to justify their absolute waste of 5 years. Here's the summary with some of my thoughts (can't help myself lol):

Academics:
- Minerva is better than Zoom because it has a platform where you can see all your grades and posted assignments (yea, that's just another variation of Brightspace. My HIGH SCHOOL had that platform lol). It also has emojis and breakout rooms!
- You do your readings before going to class, then you get graded in class for participation!? What a revolutionary concept /s
- Active learning! In small-class seminars! Are a thing! (active learning is the oldest trick in the book..)
- "Compared to traditional universities, we actually only spend 1.5h in class on our screens, it's actually not that long"; um, I prefer my 1.5h classes spent with my peers and professor, in person, but you do you I guess. Why is that supposed to be a flex lol.
- Assignments are stressful! And there are random crunch times at some points of the year! (Yes, this is so stupid. And yes, Jade said this. Has she ever heard of a thing called finals season?)
- Again "compared to traditional universities" (they keep bringing it up like traditional universities are a bad thing- yes there a bad things about them, but at least they're more reputable and legit), there's a higher bar of expectations and "you have to be on your shit all the time" (yes, that's called trying not to get behind). It also doesn't have a good academic considerations system (surprise surprise)
- Minerva wants them to use critical thinking! (not me doing a whole research project on that topic. You're not as special as you think lol)
- It's a more generalized model than a specialized model. And that's a good thing, apparently.

Taking a break before the Finances section. I'm losing braincells.

• Haha
  • Sick

dagny

That climate change section in her last vlog was probably the most delusional I've seen her. So she's putting in an hour of study into it every week but she hasn't come the realisation that the carbon footprint of her university and travels are more than some people in developing countries will emit in their lifetimes? Like, I love travelling as well and am guilty of consumerism, but I just sit and eat my food and don't advertise myself as this super aware and expert person on climate change. Sometimes all you need to do is be quiet and mind your business.

• Heart

judgingyourlife

I think it's kinda sus how everything in her life is the best thing ever and totally 'changed her life for the better'. There's a fair chance she regrets Minerva, but there is no chance she'd admit that online. But so many Youtubers/influencers seem to forget that it's okay to make bad life decisions, and learn from them. There's such an obsession, particularly with the Studytubers, to seem perfect, but in reality (unless you're very lucky) it naturally takes a while to find the right thing for you. Nearly all of my friends and I (in our mid/late 20s, all uni grads and not unintelligent) are only just finding our way after a lot of trial and error. It's all so fake and I hate it.

Reactions: 31