Unjaded Jade #11 Find her book on the clearance shelf, discover the casual magic of privilege &wealth

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm sorry but to me she's definitely not conventionally attractive nor conventionally skinny (and when saying that I don't mean to body shame anyone - while she does sometimes exaggerate and force it in general, currently she's not a typical thin person). It pisses me off that so many people nowadays are gatekeeping body positivity just because a white (how dare she :rolleyes:) woman doesn't feel 100% confident and wants to participate. It's super fucked up - and it's not just about Jade (whom I super dislike so it's not meant to white knight) but in general. If we want to be so proper, I'd say body positivity should be about birth deformations, people after accidents or illnesses not about race.
I think it's pretty clear people aren't saying that Jade shouldn't participate in the body positivity movement, of course she can. What people have a gripe with is "body positivity" content where people contort themselves into unnatural positions or squeeze their stomach fat for photos, resulting in poses which don't represent what they normally look like. I have no idea how content like that is conducive to the movement or helpful for anyone.

And you can say body positivity isn't about race, but at the end of the day the body positivity movement was literally founded by black women to protest against fatphobia (which disproportionately affects black women). Pretending the body positivity movement isn't about race is erasing its history. And because that's how the movement was founded, it's understandable that people might feel exasperated that body positivity content has been mainstreamed and watered down into mainly featuring white, not too fat, attractive bodies, which is disconnected from the movement's original purpose so that it can be palatable. And even more exasperating when you have those people contorting their spine so that they can create 'flaws' that might not exist in the first place.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
I think it's pretty clear people aren't saying that Jade shouldn't participate in the body positivity movement, of course she can. What people have a gripe with is "body positivity" content where people contort themselves into unnatural positions or squeeze their stomach fat for photos, resulting in poses which don't represent what they normally look like. I have no idea how content like that is conducive to the movement or helpful for anyone.

And you can say body positivity isn't about race, but at the end of the day the body positivity movement was literally founded by black women to protest against fatphobia (which disproportionately affects black women). Pretending the body positivity movement isn't about race is erasing its history. And because that's how the movement was founded, it's understandable that people might feel exasperated that body positivity content has been mainstreamed and watered down into mainly featuring white, not too fat, attractive bodies, which is disconnected from the movement's original purpose so that it can be palatable. And even more exasperating when you have those people contorting their spine so that they can create 'flaws' that might not exist in the first place.
Exactly! Jade can and should be body positive - of course she should be! However, when you have people who are already thin forcing themselves to appear anything but that it's so harmful to the movement. She clearly has to try to be like that, for a lot of us it's just how our body looks anyway.

I don't have much to say about your second paragraph, but thank you for explaining it so eloquently!

Reactions: 13
What people have a gripe with is "body positivity" content where people contort themselves into unnatural positions or squeeze their stomach fat for photos, resulting in poses which don't represent what they normally look like. I have no idea how content like that is conducive to the movement or helpful for anyone.
Honestly, she could just casually post pictures of herself where she doesn't feel the most confident without saying anything and it would still be good?

Something like this...

While I don't remember what she was actually wearing in the story, these are somewhat similar. I'm pretty sure there's a few IG posts of her in active wear, and while she's standing forward facing in these posts, it's not that hard to grab a picture of you sideways?

Reactions: 5

Well times change and either way it's sad that something which is supposed to be about positivity is used more and more as a reason to fight and push others down just because you're not fat enough or black enough to participate. Others participating is not an act of aggression. And while Jade sucks I do think in this case she could have actually helped girls to accept themselves if she wasn't over exaggerating it.
Besides from what I know the body positivity movement wasn't really founded by black women only - it has its roots even in Victorian times, unless you refer to some specific wave or fat acceptance movement. Can you link some sources?

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 7
Well times change and either way it's sad that something which is supposed to be about positivity is used more and more as a reason to fight and push others down just because you're not fat enough or black enough to participate. Others participating is not an act of aggression. And while Jade sucks I do think in this case she could have actually helped girls to accept themselves if she wasn't over exaggerating it.
Not sure why you’re continuing to misrepresent what’s being said. I agree that Jade could help girls accept themselves if she didn’t do the exaggerated posing - that’s the entire point of my post: that there’s sensitive and productive ways of engaging with the movement that doesn’t include hunching over and breaking your back to give the appearance of belly rolls. Again, at the risk of repeating myself ad nauseam, I’m not saying she can’t participate.

At no point in my post did I even get close to suggesting you need to be “black enough” (?!) to participate in body positivity. I’m just trying to explain why the black women who started this movement can feel alienated as body positive spaces become saturated with thin white people doing stupid contorted poses.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I'm sorry but to me she's definitely not conventionally attractive nor conventionally skinny (and when saying that I don't mean to body shame anyone - while she does sometimes exaggerate and force it in general, currently she's not a typical thin person).
Yes she is. It's fine if you personally don't think she's attractive, but she is thin, even if she has teeny tiny bit of a tummy (at certain angles) - if you think that means she's not "conventionally skinny" idk what to tell you. She has clear skin, a small nose, straight teeth, big blue eyes, thick hair, is tall (at least she looks tall idk), etc. The faces she pulls make her look weird in a lot of pictures but she fits a lot of traditional (eurocentric) beauty ideals.
Besides from what I know the body positivity movement wasn't really founded by black women only - it has its roots even in Victorian times, unless you refer to some specific wave or fat acceptance movement
We are obviously talking about the modern body positivity movement as we know it today - which was started by Black women. You really can't compare the Victorian Dress reform and the body positivity movement today.
Not sure why you’re continuing to misrepresent what’s being said. I agree that Jade could help girls accept themselves if she didn’t do the exaggerated posing - that’s the entire point of my post: that there’s sensitive and productive ways of engaging with the movement that doesn’t include hunching over and breaking your back to give the appearance of belly rolls. Again, at the risk of repeating myself ad nauseam, I’m not saying she can’t participate.

At no point in my post did I even get close to suggesting you need to be “black enough” (?!) to participate in body positivity. I’m just trying to explain why the black women who started this movement can feel alienated as body positive spaces become saturated with thin white people doing stupid contorted poses.
Exactly. Perfectly said, thank you.

Nobody is saying Jade can't participate, but the fact of the matter is, Jade isn't affected by many of the systemic issues that the body positivity movement is fighting against. She can walk into any store and she will be able to find clothing that fits her body. She most likely won't have a doctor dismiss her symptoms because of her weight. People don't just assume she's lazy or has no discipline just from looking at her body. She may get bodyshaming comments (and that's not okay either!) but she is not going to face systemic discrimination because of her body (in her current body at least) which is a large part of what the body positivity movement was originally set out to fight against.

Of course, it's great to see representation of people of every body type - but if you look at body positivity posts on social media, there seem to be more posts like hers (thin people sticking out their tummy) than posts about marginalized bodies. And a lot of those posts are still kind of 'fatphobic' (for lack of a better word, I think *actual* fatphobia is different but this is the best way I can put it). Like those posts that are like "every woman has a bit of a tummy, it's just your organs/uterus" like number one, that's not true and number two, so what if it is fat? That's okay, you don't need to find a reason to justify body types.

Jade has every right to post what she posts - she is just one individual - but it is still necessary that we recognize that it is overall a harmful trend that so many white, thin, ablebodied cis women are flooding the movement - to the point where the actual point of it gets lost. Jade is never going to face the systemic issues that people who have marginalized bodies face (and that's okay obviously, but still, she has a large platform and imo should be aware of how she is using it and how posts like hers might affect people that are bigger).

Sorry for the rant!

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Not to mention the fact that body positivity or fat acceptance is very often going into harmful area of claiming that obesity is okay and is not a reason for health issues. The amount of obese people grows every day and it's not something positive. The fact that some people can't find clothing their size in general clothes is the social issue not the issue of discrimination.
Exactly my kind of humour: Crying because thin-privileged, conveniently beautiful Jade is criticized for how she participates in the body positivity / fat acceptance movement and how this "gate-keeping" is "skinny-shaming" and at the same time putting an upper limit on the movement and how it portrays these bodies (aka not as harmful, detestable timebombs).

Until I can be a fat person without being a health risk for myself and society in general first and foremost I refuse to even engage in discussion about "skinny shaming".

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 12
That is the problem I'm talking about - that the visibility of white, cis, ablebodied women is seen as something harmful to the movement as a whole. So are they supposed to hide just because there is that many of them? Or just because they're not fat enough to take space in the body positivity topics? I myself see more and more influencers who promote especially fat acceptance and have huge following and engagement. If you take time to follow different types of people that's what you're gonna see in your feed. The problem is that many of the self proclaimed body positivity influencers are gatekeeping or promote aggressive behaviours to people who are different or "not fat enough" and shame them calling them "thins" and directly telling them to duck off or promoting borderline thin shaming.
And no, the fact that the current movement is maybe focused on black obese women does not mean black women started the body positivity movement as a whole. Everyone should have a right to participate. If you see someone thinner than you showing their body as harmful then you are the problem.
Not to mention the fact that body positivity or fat acceptance is very often going into harmful area of claiming that obesity is okay and is not a reason for health issues. The amount of obese people grows every day and it's not something positive. The fact that some people can't find clothing their size in general clothes is the social issue not the issue of discrimination.
Listen, I don't want this to go too far OT (this is supposed to be about Jade after all) but you either did not understand my post or are intentionally misconstruing what I said.

I literally said *anyone* can participate. On an individual level, there is nothing wrong with that. On a larger scale however, this trend of the movement being flooded by smaller, cis, white, ablebodied women should be viewed critically because it takes visibility away from those who suffer from systemic (!) discrimination because of their bodies. And your justification is really "there just are more white, thin people" (spoiler: no there aren't)? Also, not everything you see online is based on your feed. If the movement is flooded with white thin bodies, that is what's going to be on people's for you and explore pages and in their yt recommendations. I want to point out once again that the issue people have with Jade's post isn't that she is posting her body and what it looks like (nobody is asking her to "hide"!), the issue is that she's contorting her body to look bigger than it naturally looks and then saying "lets normalise this".

Also not sure if by "thinner than you" you meant me personally or just a general you but my body is fairly similar to Jades, although i carry my weight a bit differently, I would say we're a similar size overall.

I agree, body shaming isn't the right way to go and it is an issue that goes both ways but once again, the body positivity movement is mainly (supposed to be) about systemic issues. But also, being called "thins" is slightly different from something like "lazy pig", don't you think? Body shaming (from what I've seen) is oftentimes more aggressive when it is directed at plus-size people (but obviously both aren't acceptable). I think gatekeeping definitely is the wrong way to go (even though i rarely see plus-sized creators gatekeeping) but once again, marginalized bodies are also (even moreso) affected by gatekeeping and aggressive behaviour. The body positivity community is one of the only spaces where they aren't (in theory). Excluding anyone from the body positivitiy community is wrong but we need to have a certain understanding of why and how communities come to be and that certain people are more severely affected by certain issues.

I will also always be wary of someone who claims body positivity "is going too far" and claims it as harmful. Yes, there are health issues connected to obesity, but people deserve respect regardless of their health status. It is also a fairly reductive argument because health and bodysize are both very complex issues that require intersectional understanding to judge its implications. A health condition could very well be the reason for someone's weight (or not, either way, it's none of your business). Also, that whole "obesity promoter" strawman makes no sense, I've not met anyone who wanted to be overweight because of the body positivity movement, but I do know several people who have developed EDs partly because of the fatphobia they have faced. People who are concerned about "health" often don't seem to care about those. I am not saying that's you but I am saying that people who immediately bring "health" into the discussion are often only trying to thinly veil their fatphobia.

Feel free to explain to me how social issues are different from discrimination? Sure, clothing is not the most significant aspect of it and it's definitely not like... super severe discrimination (for lack of a better term; obviously there are things that are much much worse in this world) but it is a symptom (!) of the overall discrimination of larger/marginalized bodies. A group of people is being treated differently purely for their body size or ability. That's discrimination in my book. Jade can walk into a store and find clothing that fits her and is accessible to her (both physically and financially) and have plenty of (fashionable) options. A lot of people cannot (especially those dependent on adaptive clothing).

All of that being said, I personally think there are a lot of valid criticism of the body positivity movement and I personally subscribe to body neutrality rather than body positivity but this is not the place for that discussion.

Exactly my kind of humour: Crying because thin-privileged, conveniently beautiful Jade is criticized for how she participates in the body positivity / fat acceptance movement and how this "gate-keeping" is "skinny-shaming" and at the same time putting an upper limit on the movement and how it portrays these bodies (aka not as harmful, detestable timebombs).

Until I can be a fat person without being a health risk for myself and society in general first and foremost I refuse to even engage in discussion about "skinny shaming".
Exactly! Only just saw this but you're right, it seems very hypocritical to say "let's not exclude people, skinny people get shamed for their bodies too!", then turn around and basically shame fat people for their bodies

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Feel free to explain to me how social issues are different from discrimination? Sure, clothing is not the most significant aspect of it and it's definitely not like... super severe discrimination (for lack of a better term; obviously there are things that are much much worse in this world) but it is a symptom (!) of the overall discrimination of larger/marginalized bodies. A group of people is being treated differently purely for their body size or ability. That's discrimination in my book. Jade can walk into a store and find clothing that fits her and is accessible to her (both physically and financially) and have plenty of (fashionable) options. A lot of people cannot (especially those dependent on adaptive clothing).
I cannot thank you enough for your posts, they speak from my heart. Just wanted to jump in and add that not being able to find any (!!!) jeans that fit me at the age of 11 - being overweight but nowhere near obesity - going from shop to shop with my mom, being eyed pitifully by shop assistants is still an experience that is deeply ingrained in me to this day 17 years later. Of course it is "just clothes", but as long as being nude in public isn't accepted I can't stress enough how basic the need for fitting clothes is and how traumatic an unfulfillment of this need can be and has been / is to so many.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I'm sorry but to me she's definitely not conventionally attractive nor conventionally skinny (and when saying that I don't mean to body shame anyone - while she does sometimes exaggerate and force it in general, currently she's not a typical thin person). It pisses me off that so many people nowadays are gatekeeping body positivity just because a white (how dare she :rolleyes:) woman doesn't feel 100% confident and wants to participate. It's super fucked up - and it's not just about Jade (whom I super dislike so it's not meant to white knight) but in general. If we want to be so proper, I'd say body positivity should be about birth deformations, people after accidents or illnesses not about race.
edit: i posted this before i finished reading the rest of the thread and a lot of what i say below has already been articulated much better by others, but i want to add that the body positivity movement does not promote obesity and heath issues. it is about treating fat people kindly and fairly and with basic human decency, and understanding that health can exist at every size. as someone who has a naturally larger body (not plus size however so i can’t relate to that experience), i have struggled since my early teens with numerous eating disorders, body dosmorphia and very serious physical health issues as a result. at my set point weight I am technically overweight, but I was much unhealthier when I was in a smaller body due to my various eds. i have now permanently damaged my digestive system and have a disorder called rumination syndrome which severely impacts my life. i’ve also permanently damaged my teeth and may be infertile. i wasn’t even underweight. anyone looking at me with your kind of perspective would call me healthy. i was not.

it is so difficult to live and exist normally and happily when people look at you and instantly make a judgement on your health and what you should do with your body and how much you should eat and how that reflects your morality. people who naturally conform to conventional standards of what ‘health’ looks like, will never understand what that experience is like.

——

i don’t think anyone said body positivity is about race. but being white does come with privilege. so does existing in a body that fits the beauty standard. jade is objectively thin. she does not have the same experience as somebody in a plus size body. the body positivity movement was born from activists and plus size (also black) women who face real everyday discrimination based on their size, they do not have the option of sucking in and having a flat stomach, people who don’t have to bend over in weird poses to look larger than they are. that isn’t to say that people like jade can’t feel good about their body and share how they overcome insecurity, but it is easier for her to overcome those things when she has to obviously try very hard to make herself look larger.

when people like jade say that its ok to have ‘little’ curves, she is drawing attention to the fact that she doesn’t face the same inherent disadvantages and discrimination as fat people, and that is ultimately not helpful to the people who the movement was created for.

i’m not really invested in it but i just wanted to clarify why it can rub people up the wrong way. i’m all for her being secure in her body image and promoting that to other young girls, but sometimes it feels as though she is just rubbing in her privilege in an unhelpful way.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Jade used to be so pretty when she started her solo travelling, but now she looks always in need of shower and just rundown

Jade used to be so pretty when she started her solo travelling, but now she looks always in need of shower and just rundown
I really don't think she suits shorter hair, the longer hair was really nice on her.

Another day, another story of Jade complaining about pre-readings as if every other student doesn’t also have to read things before going to class

• Angry
Reactions: 30
Jade used to be the person I aspired to be. I saw her as a complete inspiration and I used to watch all her videos, often multiple times, especially the week in France and the Interrailing vlogs. I felt like I could relate to Jade, I knew she was very clearly rich, but I felt she was similar to me. Until I saw the Minerva announcement. I was incredibly excited about the vlogs in the various countries, however, it was more just because I like seeing about other countries. Really it was then when I lost respect for Jade. It was the subtle implications that Minerva was so much better than “traditional” universities. since then i’ve noticed just how brainwashed by the casual magic of Jade, it’s sad but shes become quite deceptive

Her bike got stolen and she's surprised that so many people relate to her

...it's almost like not everyone lives in good towns with low crime rates :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Casual magic of getting your bike stolen?? Makes you more relatable to your viewers, duh!!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
You know I wonder if shes still friends with Eve B.
Eve indirected her in a video saying that it was unfair that she couldn’t study in Berlin when it was required for her degree whilst some other youtubers were abroad when they didn’t even need to be for their course. She was right tbf.

• Haha
Reactions: 58
what she really means when she says she studies abroad in Berlin:
online lessons in random cafes

also what’s going on with the one shot of her in a white dress with what looks like an almost professional camera crew???

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.