Unjaded Jade #10 the next literary sensation, will her new book have a German translation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Cheers Jade, it's good to know that I have chosen to suck forever and I don't just 'suck' at some things because I have ADHD. Glad to know it was a personal choice!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 39
Cheers Jade, it's good to know that I have chosen to suck forever and I don't just 'suck' at some things because I have ADHD. Glad to know it was a personal choice!
This is why so many of these influencers are so toxic, SO many aspects of our lives are not a choice, of course working or studying hard can help, but so much of life is just a lottery of luck, and it just makes people who have not been "successful" (whatever that really means) feel bad about themselves as if they haven;t done enough

Reactions: 20
Honestly this aspect annoys me to no end! She quickly glosses over mental illnesses (and tells the reader to just not be depressed basically) and doesn't even mention chronic (physical) illnesses, disabilities or neurodivergence. Not that she would do a good job at talking about any of that (especially since she doesn't experience anything like it herself) but she could have at least mentioned it?

Reactions: 24
I decided to read more of the book, since I'm not really doing anything today (had my second vaccine this morning, yay), so here we go:

I'll try giving a bit more context this time lmao

This bit about circumstances, I... (like sure, a ballpit is fun, even as a 20-something I'm not going to lie but this reads like a golden retriever wrote it lmao)
View attachment 701783
And then that's all there is for circumstances really BUT she keeps going (there is no new heading, just a paragraph break) and goes on about motivation still under the "circumstances" heading? It is all within the "motivation" chapter but it's just so poorly structured

This is about extrinsic motivation and... who bets on getting a certain percentage? (I also feel like that's the worst idea ever because just think how devastated you'd be if you don't get that percentage?)
View attachment 701792

She does mention/credit someone called Simon Sinek. I clearly am uncultured because I didn't know who he was, so I did some Jade-level research (aka wikipedia) and turns out he's a motivational speaker! His credentials include a whole BA in cultural anthropology from Brandeis University after dropping out of law at the City University London! And he has started several businesses! Clearly an expert on studying!
Also wtf is that second sentence?
View attachment 701791

Idk I might've misread but at first it felt like she was telling us:
motivation = your why
and then she's saying:
motivation = a feeling
your why = your why(?)
View attachment 701789

Did she steal this from her dad's MLM handbook?
View attachment 701793

Go girl, give us nothing! Definitely don't give us the name of the study or the researcher or anything! We don't want any footnotes please
View attachment 701788

idk this really rubs me the wrong way, if you suck "forever" it's not necessarily because you choose to, there are reasons for that...
View attachment 701814

"If you're unmotivated, just be motivated <3"
View attachment 701817

Why has it suddenly turned into an episode of Dora the Explorer?
View attachment 701830

"recently" aka they all graduated in like 2015-2017 I'm assuming (or whenever Jack, Ruby, etc. graduated, can't be bothered to look it up). Unfortunately, there are none in the bit on amazon (this is the end of chapter 1 and I think it cuts off mid chapter 2?)
View attachment 701831
(also "each page is infused with luck" okay lmao)

Chapter 2!

This is a strange sentence because... no, a student cannot optimise the style of testing? They can optimise their approach to the style of testing offered by the education system but not the testing itself.
View attachment 701835

I am going to lose it with her metaphors, Jade... in games, there usually is only one winner, that is not how you should think about school...
View attachment 701838

She's going to give us a history of the English education system... because that's what you need from a study guide apparently?

I'm not going to criticize her for what she thought as a teen but that's a bit naive don't you think (and it once again shows how privileged she was)
View attachment 701842

Okay, I'll post this now and get some food and might come back to it later, I'm at 71%!

Quickly want to add that there is obviously nothing wrong with this! And someone with those credentials could still be great at giving study tipps but this guy in particular isn't (well he's not giving any study tipps at all, he's giving motivation tipps) and he's not the "neuroscience" research she had promised.
lol i’m so unimpressed by her writing. she could have put most of this through grammarly or something and it would have been a vast improvement

Reactions: 10
Honestly this aspect annoys me to no end! She quickly glosses over mental illnesses (and tells the reader to just not be depressed basically) and doesn't even mention chronic (physical) illnesses, disabilities or neurodivergence. Not that she would do a good job at talking about any of that (especially since she doesn't experience anything like it herself) but she could have at least mentioned it?
I think this is why Minerva as a uni is so limited (apart from everything else lol) but most people when leaving their hometown (either for work or uni) end up meeting a lot of different types of people - minerva is basically only suitable for rich people with no physical or mental health issues. The model of studying/working/ sharing a room you can;t choose with various people do not really work for anyone who is not a specific type of person, let alone the not being able to access any kind of therapy or anything which most (in my experience anyway) unis offer

Reactions: 18
I think this is why Minerva as a uni is so limited (apart from everything else lol) but most people when leaving their hometown (either for work or uni) end up meeting a lot of different types of people - minerva is basically only suitable for rich people with no physical or mental health issues. The model of studying/working/ sharing a room you can;t choose with various people do not really work for anyone who is not a specific type of person, let alone the not being able to access any kind of therapy or anything which most (in my experience anyway) unis offer
yep yep yep minerva seems so ableist, i know for a fact i wouldn’t be able to cope even if i wanted to go. they seem to have made no efforts to make their amazing new uni accessible. not very modern if you ask me

Reactions: 20
The whole motivation thing doesn't make much sense to me or seems really limited

I knew plenty of people who didn't know what they wanted to do after A-levels, or felt like they just had to do well - which is something Jade recognises at the start of the book btw
At that point their motivational 'why' isn't very stable and useful surely. I should go revise because I need good grades because... I just do/my parents do

Reactions: 5
yep yep yep minerva seems so ableist, i know for a fact i wouldn’t be able to cope even if i wanted to go. they seem to have made no efforts to make their amazing new uni accessible. not very modern if you ask me
I have often wondered how, given that they’re US-based, they are able to get away with that. You do wonder if they have any students with disabilities because it seems like the whole set-up would be impossible for someone with mobility issues, or sight or hearing impairment, for example. I genuinely don’t know how anyone that needs additional support would cope, it seems like such a sink-or-swin environment.

Reactions: 13
I'm back!

Why does she go from "the system bla bla bla" to "this is true for some teachers"? "The system" isn't synonymous with "the teachers"?
1628357263803.png

Didn't know who Seth Godin was, looked him up on wikipedia, can't find any mention of him ever having taught anywhere?
1628357047158.png

Also, every time she does reference some other work, she refers to it in the past tense? Should it not be "In it, he dissects..." Idk sounds weird to me

Love that her bit on the industrialsation is longer than what she wrote about circumstances (and mental illness)
1628357761353.png

Additionally, she writes "Exams [plural] were introduced [...]. It [singular] was helpful..." genuinely not sure what she is referring to here? Is it exams? Or just the school system in general?

I feel like "since that time" would have worked much better?
1628357974975.png

Do you really have to memorise passages for foreign language exams in the UK or did *she* do that?
1628358569333.png

The "i learned a language in a month" bit
1628358676121.png

Not sure how much theory there is in PE classes in the UK but I'm sure someone who "could run like Usain Bolt" would still be able to excel no matter how much theory there was?
1628358742852.png

again, very naive
1628358977471.png

This is the first time Jade names an actual academic! Looks like Dr Maratos is a lecturer at the university of Derby and has a PhD in Cognitive Neuroscience and PGCert in Learning & Teaching in HE. Jade doesn't cite a paper or study but it's something!
1628359147062.png

Why is this entire book just her bragging about how much she likes learning (why not go to a uni that actually teaches something then)?
1628359509594.png

This sentence sounds like something is missing?
1628359619974.png

Ah yes thank you, you taught me about industrialisation and now I don't stress anymore! Thanks Jade! Very "If you're stressed, don't be <3"
1628359705584.png

Are you not? We were timed on running and had to give presentations that were graded? Again, not from the UK, so let me know? Also, I don't want to be measured on what kind of friend I am wtf?
1628359874748.png

the most insightful quote! nobody has ever heard of it before! Completely new and live-changing!
(not to say I don't like the quote but everybody saw that on the internet in 2013, Jade)
1628359975523.png

The system is terrible but that's actually a good thing! Just be positive! Casual magic!
1628360243120.png

How does she go from "Fear is natural" to "you're strutting [...] like you invented GCSEs [aka not scared]" in three sentences (also she just spent all chapter basically bashing the people who invented GCSEs and now she's using it as a metaphor for confidence?)
1628360410676.png

✨ the exotic tongue of exam technique✨

no it isn't
1628360651433.png

"As a teenager, you don't have any other responsibilities, no teenager ever has had a part-time job or had to do care-work, only school to worry about"
1628360682667.png

Why is she so obsessed with TED Talks (and why does she think they're *the* ultimate source of information)?
Top tip: this does not work for a lot of subjects, there are not that many alternative opinions about maths, jade.
What is "the specification", is that a UK thing? She doesn't mention it prior to this sentence I think? Also, this made me think about how the entire book is incredibly focussed on the UK but that isn't mentioned *anywhere* on the cover or in the description. While that does make sense because that's where she's from, she does have quite a few international viewers and if I didn't know anything about it, I would assume a book that is called "study guide" (not GCSE guide) would give me study advice (that should be at least somewhat universally applicable).
1628360939275.png

Also, where did the "extra reading" suddenly come from? I thought it was TED Talks and YouTube videos?

Or, you know, I might already have to work through those larger complex problems on top of my school life and the unpleasent problems don't come later, but okay
1628361470770.png

Jade, once again, your privilege is showing <3
1628361560574.png

Except for a lot of/most people, that formula won't work Jade
1628361609904.png

Yes, because just like in games, people choose not to win. Okay.
1628361686669.png

That's it! I think this might have been all of chapter 2 actually but if it was, she lied because the chapter did not end with a quote by another studytuber like she promised at the end of chapter 1?

Sorry I copied almost half the book, there was so much to say (also, wtf am I doing with my life) and I still skipped over some terrible sentences.

At that point their motivational 'why' isn't very stable and useful surely. I should go revise because I need good grades because... I just do/my parents do
I think she said that you don't have to know what you want to do your why could just be that you want to prove to yourself that you can do it or something like that (which feels equally as reductive)

Attachments

Reactions: 13
I’m confused, is this an open letter/commentary on the education system or actual study advice? It just comes across as completely out of touch, and in COVID times outdated..exams Jade would recognise haven’t happened since 2019. Anyways thanks to all ss’ing and sharing..you are doing the lords work 🙌

Reactions: 28
Long time lurker 👋 don’t think I’ve posted on this thread before.
Wow SO MUCH waffle in this book, can’t imagine 16 year old me finding any of that useful at all when I was preparing for GCSEs. Also, wasn’t her French course only 2 weeks not a month like she says?

Also… you definitely don’t need to memorise paragraphs to regurgitate in your language exams if you actually UNDERSTAND the language and how to construct sentences (I got top grades in 2 languages as GCSE and A Level and have a language degree and I NEVER did that) I get the impression Jade is just someone who isn’t naturally talented at languages, which is totally fine of course but she definitely comes across like she thinks she is a super-talented polyglot 🤪

Reactions: 22
Do you really have to memorise passages for foreign language exams in the UK or did *she* do that?
You'd never have to recite in a writing exam lol. I could see it being the case for speaking but they're not expecting you to be writing out French poetry or something in a writing exam

Are you not? We were timed on running and had to give presentations that were graded? Again, not from the UK, so let me know? Also, I don't want to be measured on what kind of friend I am wtf?
Timed on running but it didn't normally have much input on grades and it was more used to show that people were doing what was required or to pick for teams.
Public speaking was graded but I don't think it mattered that much/was more like coursework - I'm the same age as Jade and when I did it we had to talk about a subject we picked for some time, it would be moderated by the school and then some would be sent off to the exam boards to double check

Also, while yes you can't know what questions are going to come up you can normally predict the topics that are coming up. That can be a real game changer and even teacher's try to do it when possible. Hell, I know a couple of friends who did well on their A-level law AS because they went through all the past papers and predicted the likely topics to come up and were right!

At the start of the book she says that students can just flip to certain topics but like... if I want to learn about something like motivation (or whatever she was talking about) this is basically 90% waffle.

Also it's very telling that most of her sources seem to be business men. Won't be surprised if they also have MLM-style books or ones endorsed by MLMs

Reactions: 8
I'd give everything for Jack Edwards to start a drama and make a read-roast video on her book like he does with all the other influencers, since Jade amongst other studytubers seems to recently take inspiration from him and he is a fellow british youtuber haha.

Also, OT, but I used to live in the UK as a young teen and went there to a state secondary school, it wasn't really the best experience in my life. But you guys, I've only found out that free meals in that school exist too thanks to you talking about it.. I actually got kinda sad bc neither did my single parent nor I knew of that at the time:") I've checked the free meals rate for that school I went to and it's above 40%. Jade writing about her school not being too 'academic' with how wealthy it seems to me now just hits on a personal level.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
You'd never have to recite in a writing exam lol. I could see it being the case for speaking but they're not expecting you to be writing out French poetry or something in a writing exam
Weirdly I did have to do this in French in school for GCSE level exams?

We had to write an essay at home on a particular topic, then memorise and write it in a timed exam.
I had to google it but apparently it's referred to as a 'Controlled assessment writing task'

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Weirdly I did have to do this in French in school for GCSE level exams?

We had to write an essay at home on a particular topic, then memorise and write it in a timed exam.
I had to google it but apparently it's referred to as a 'Controlled assessment writing task'
They don’t really exist anymore! They used too as did some of the “speaking exams”
But as usual she hasn’t done any research to see what the changes to the education system are

Reactions: 3

Timed on running but it didn't normally have much input on grades and it was more used to show that people were doing what was required or to pick for teams.
Public speaking was graded but I don't think it mattered that much/was more like coursework - I'm the same age as Jade and when I did it we had to talk about a subject we picked for some time, it would be moderated by the school and then some would be sent off to the exam boards to double check
Aah thanks for the info! Especially the memorisation seemed so strange and archaic to me, I took 4 different foreign languages throughout school and never had to do that, not even for Latin! Memorising conjugations and what not, yes but not whole passages of texts.

Also it's very telling that most of her sources seem to be business men. Won't be surprised if they also have MLM-style books or ones endorsed by MLMs
Exactly what I thought! It's one thing to cite a non-academic source if the person just studied a lot or did a lot of research on studying in their own time... fine, talk about their TED Talk but the fact that it's all business men - very telling. And yes, if you look at Seth Godin's book titles they definitely seem like MLM type titles. One is called Permission marketing: turning strangers into friends, and friends into customers

They don’t really exist anymore! They used too as did some of the “speaking exams”
But as usual she hasn’t done any research to see what the changes to the education system are
Interesting, thanks! Was this something that Jade would have had to do (based on her year of graduation)?

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.