Unjaded Jade #10 the next literary sensation, will her new book have a German translation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This. She went to an Ofsted-graded Outstanding girls' school with only 5% of pupils eligible for free school meals, which is a tiny amount. Maidenhead is well below the national average of low income families.

Basically put, she's exaggerating because she doesn't want to own her own privilege. She went to an outstanding school in a rich area and grew up in a wealthy, supportive family. That's it. That's her story.
i saw this thread trending and just jumping in to say big fat grace Beverly energy, I hate these kind of people 😭

Reactions: 14
Good for Jade, now she doesn't have to overcompensate to explain the unknowable workings of Minerva 😂 If I were the Roman goddess I'd struct these clowns flat. What a ridiculous establishment.

Reactions: 10
the "if you're depressed, just be happy" paragraph
View attachment 699989
I hate this kind of thinking so much. Yes, I had pretty intense family problems throughout school and yes, I finished school with very good results. But "finding a way to work with these factors" meant that I had to severly sacrifice my mental health and I only did that because I knew it the only way to get out of there. It's also just flat out not possible for most people. To conflate that with just having a bad day every once in a while and basically just saying "suck it up" is incredibly insensitive.

Reactions: 24
I just can't understand who would buy this book over a study guide that is actually well-researched and based on scientific concepts. e.g. her claim that there's "three causes" of lack of academic motivation is completely arbitrary and pulled out of her backside.
That "three causes" part stood out to me too. It's wild to me she decided to write a book about a scientific topic and not refer to ANY other books in the footnotes. If you want to write a good non-fiction book, back up what you're saying and make it more credible, instead of just rambling about things and pulling facts out of your backside (as fwooper put it so beautifully). Jade claims it's supposed to be a helpful book for everyone, but it is completely centered on Jade's worldview and her way of doing things, so I doubt it's actually helpful to anyone but herself.
It also makes me question Minerva's academic standards. Any first semester uni student, hell even middle schoolers, know you have to back up what you're saying. Writing hundreds of pages of non-fiction without ANY LINKS TO ANYTHING? That's wild to me.

Reactions: 33
I like the claim that "this book is what you make of it", implying that if you don't get anything out of the book, it can't possibly be the book's fault, it's because you, the reader, are reading it wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: 50
That "three causes" part stood out to me too. It's wild to me she decided to write a book about a scientific topic and not refer to ANY other books in the footnotes. If you want to write a good non-fiction book, back up what you're saying and make it more credible, instead of just rambling about things and pulling facts out of your backside (as fwooper put it so beautifully). Jade claims it's supposed to be a helpful book for everyone, but it is completely centered on Jade's worldview and her way of doing things, so I doubt it's actually helpful to anyone but herself.
It also makes me question Minerva's academic standards. Any first semester uni student, hell even middle schoolers, know you have to back up what you're saying. Writing hundreds of pages of non-fiction without ANY LINKS TO ANYTHING? That's wild to me.
Especially when she brags about having consulted with literature on neuroscience. It's plagiarism at this point if she's taking their ideas and using them for her own book.

Reactions: 21
Especially when she brags about having consulted with literature on neuroscience. It's plagiarism at this point if she's taking their ideas and using them for her own book.
Wouldn’t people be better off just reading the wikipedia articles she used themselves, cutting out the £7.99 middle man?

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I like the claim that "this book is what you make of it", implying that if you don't get anything out of the book, it can't possibly be the book's fault, it's because you, the reader, are reading it wrong.
The only good thing to make of this book is confetti.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
The only people I’ve heard talk about the % of students passing and achieving certain grades are middle-class, over privileged girls like Jade that want to look like they’re working class and ‘relatable’.
At the school I went to, over 36% of students were eligible for free school meals but it never even occurred to me to google that until today to compare it to Jade. If she stopped trying so hard to be ✨quirky✨ she’d actually be a lot more relatable than she realises
how do you find the free school meal stats?

Reactions: 1
"A masterpiece" is the last thing that book is. Her writing is bleeping atrocious. No rhythm, eloquence, or flow to it at all.
it reminds me of the comments from grace Beverley fans about her book, most of them seemed to come from people who basically never read

Reactions: 9
From the few pages I've seen and read, Jade seems to have completely missed her actual audience with this

It's a book you'd give to someone who's clueless on how to study at best... which a studytubers audience is probably not going to be

~
Also, she's clearly the queen of acting 😬
ngl I found the intro to the video very distasteful there

Reactions: 11
View attachment 700355

This is from Chapter 3, I'm not sure if it's in the sample on Amazon and I found it on Twitter

The Mary Poppins like cheerfulness is tiring to read

~~~
Also, I know she's being very brief but I feel like the English lit help isn't that great and something a teacher would give you anyway. Plus, the writing part is normally fairly easy - it's the planning part and identification of devices most students seem to struggle with. Like, if you gave me this as an example I would end up in no better place than I really started

Never really focused on specifications, but it's something all teachers gave to us and focused on in everything we did. Her help here just falls awfully short
I'm sorry, but does the second sentence on this page of an actual, published book actually read, "You is already thanking you"?

• Haha
Reactions: 8
It’s ok, plagiarism is just ✨magical copying✨

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I decided to read more of the book, since I'm not really doing anything today (had my second vaccine this morning, yay), so here we go:

I'll try giving a bit more context this time lmao

This bit about circumstances, I... (like sure, a ballpit is fun, even as a 20-something I'm not going to lie but this reads like a golden retriever wrote it lmao)
1628350565317.png

And then that's all there is for circumstances really BUT she keeps going (there is no new heading, just a paragraph break) and goes on about motivation still under the "circumstances" heading? It is all within the "motivation" chapter but it's just so poorly structured

This is about extrinsic motivation and... who bets on getting a certain percentage? (I also feel like that's the worst idea ever because just think how devastated you'd be if you don't get that percentage?)
1628350904447.png

She does mention/credit someone called Simon Sinek. I clearly am uncultured because I didn't know who he was, so I did some Jade-level research (aka wikipedia) and turns out he's a motivational speaker! His credentials include a whole BA in cultural anthropology from Brandeis University after dropping out of law at the City University London! And he has started several businesses! Clearly an expert on studying!
Also wtf is that second sentence?
1628350820573.png

Idk I might've misread but at first it felt like she was telling us:
motivation = your why
and then she's saying:
motivation = a feeling
your why = your why(?)
1628350798742.png

Did she steal this from her dad's MLM handbook?
1628350936713.png

Go girl, give us nothing! Definitely don't give us the name of the study or the researcher or anything! We don't want any footnotes please
1628350723902.png

idk this really rubs me the wrong way, if you suck "forever" it's not necessarily because you choose to, there are reasons for that...
1628352389838.png

"If you're unmotivated, just be motivated <3"
1628352569463.png

Why has it suddenly turned into an episode of Dora the Explorer?
1628352717050.png

"recently" aka they all graduated in like 2015-2017 I'm assuming (or whenever Jack, Ruby, etc. graduated, can't be bothered to look it up). Unfortunately, there are none in the bit on amazon (this is the end of chapter 1 and I think it cuts off mid chapter 2?)
1628352793579.png

(also "each page is infused with luck" okay lmao)

Chapter 2!

This is a strange sentence because... no, a student cannot optimise the style of testing? They can optimise their approach to the style of testing offered by the education system but not the testing itself.
1628353056719.png

I am going to lose it with her metaphors, Jade... in games, there usually is only one winner, that is not how you should think about school...
1628353228397.png

She's going to give us a history of the English education system... because that's what you need from a study guide apparently?

I'm not going to criticize her for what she thought as a teen but that's a bit naive don't you think (and it once again shows how privileged she was)
1628353367887.png

Okay, I'll post this now and get some food and might come back to it later, I'm at 71%!

he's a motivational speaker! His credentials include a whole BA in cultural anthropology from Brandeis University after dropping out of law at the City University London! And he has started several businesses! Clearly an expert on studying!
Quickly want to add that there is obviously nothing wrong with this! And someone with those credentials could still be great at giving study tipps but this guy in particular isn't (well he's not giving any study tipps at all, he's giving motivation tipps) and he's not the "neuroscience" research she had promised.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.