Unjaded Jade #10 the next literary sensation, will her new book have a German translation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A) more car stories we love it! How responsible!
B) why are you calling around and going to all these shops to see if they have your book? I imagine the publisher can tell you this stuff easily
C) I’m gonna bet £20 the story is a lie

also, I’m guessing she went to Bristol because she knew the signing (? Very badly publicised) was happening and she was testing out the drive there. I wonder if she has something coming up in Reading too
so.. someone who is studying a masters while working has had time to finish a book days afetr it has come out? yes I am sure. Also surely by the time you get to doing a masters you have learned to study?!
And again, Bristol being linked to her almost going to uni there, it is so clear how not over the whole uni thing she is

Reactions: 11
"Ohmygoshh, can you believe this, my book is right next to Michelle Obama's!"

This just means that someone (*cough*Jade*cough*) put Michelle Obama's book in the wrong genre section. Her book should be in the Biographies & Memoirs section, not Health & Wellbeing. And for a supposedly educated person, you'd think she'd know how genres work. I mean, The Great Gatsby and 50 Shades of Grey are both in the Fiction section, that doesn't make them of comparable quality, Jade.

• Haha
Reactions: 46
"Ohmygoshh, can you believe this, my book is right next to Michelle Obama's!"

This just means that someone (*cough*Jade*cough*) put Michelle Obama's book in the wrong genre section. Her book should be in the Biographies & Memoirs section, not Health & Wellbeing. And for a supposedly educated person, you'd think she'd know how genres work. I mean, The Great Gatsby and 50 Shades of Grey are both in the Fiction section, that doesn't make them of comparable quality, Jade.
I have a strong suspicion it was Jade who moved Michelle Obama’s book into the health and wellbeing section 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 33
That extract shows no awareness of any situations that could affect someone’s motivation to learn. Of course I don’t expect the book to be about that in anyway but it gives me ‘just think positively’ vibes.

I don’t want to compare hurdles in life but Jade talks about her learning as if she really had to fight to learn or something. Sure, I don’t know her personal life but she went to a good school, she was rich, healthy and white. She had most things handed to her and it makes me uncomfortable just from that extract.

I became severely ill in my final years, had to stay an extra 6 months whilst all my friends graduated without me and my father was found dead in a missing persons case 2 weeks before my final exams. Despite that, I graduated with a top atar and am happily at university.

None of this is to toot my own horn but it taught me how sometimes life is really unfair and it can push learning to the bottom of your priority list (and that’s okay!!). I think that’s important for young people to hear. I learnt a lot of skills and tricks to pass my exams that were realistic in light of everything. Sometimes you can give it your all and life will just punch you in the face.

I hate to think of any young people out there struggling with serious things feeling like they aren’t good enough because they can’t study and achieve like Jade.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
That extract shows no awareness of any situations that could affect someone’s motivation to learn. Of course I don’t expect the book to be about that in anyway but it gives me ‘just think positively’ vibes.

I don’t want to compare hurdles in life but Jade talks about her learning as if she really had to fight to learn or something. Sure, I don’t know her personal life but she went to a good school, she was rich, healthy and white. She had most things handed to her and it makes me uncomfortable just from that extract.

I became severely ill in my final years, had to stay an extra 6 months whilst all my friends graduated without me and my father was found dead in a missing persons case 2 weeks before my final exams. Despite that, I graduated and am happily at university.

None of this is to toot my own horn but it taught me how sometimes life is really unfair and it can push learning to the bottom of your priority list (and that’s okay!!). I think that’s important for young people to hear. I learnt a lot of skills and tricks to pass my exams that were realistic in light of everything. Sometimes you can give it your all and life will just punch you in the face.

I hate to think of any young people out there struggling with serious things feeling like they aren’t good enough because they can’t study and achieve like Jade.
would much rather read a book written by you tbh!

Reactions: 27
Amazon has a look inside section for her book if anyone is interested

I love that she's like 'mental health is overlooked' while also spreading toxic positivity

Reactions: 18
I watched many of my peers give up before they even started.
I cannot get over this comment. How does she know these people were giving up before they started? She doesn’t know what their home life was like or what internal struggles they had. Not everyone has all the opportunities Jade did. Both he parents have good jobs and are encouraging. I bet when she was doing her exams she never had to lift a finger. Meanwhile other kids have to get part time jobs, or help out a lot at home because their family is struggling to make ends meet. Her trying to use other people’s disadvantages to make make herself seem less privileged than she is disgusts me.

Reactions: 36
I cannot get over this comment. How does she know these people were giving up before they started? She doesn’t know what their home life was like or what internal struggles they had. Not everyone has all the opportunities Jade did. Both he parents have good jobs and are encouraging. I bet when she was doing her exams she never had to lift a finger. Meanwhile other kids have to get part time jobs, or help out a lot at home because their family is struggling to make ends meet. Her trying to use other people’s disadvantages to make make herself seem less privileged than she is disgusts me.
You'll be happy to know that her introduction chapter mentions some of those things other students had to do. The way she wrote it is acting as though she also experienced that stuff which is probably untrue

She also makes a huge deal about how her parents didn't go to uni and she was therefore the 'guinea pig' yet many middle-class schools will have a lot more help available for students and I know some that have Oxbridge help specifically

She does seem to expand here and there on her teacher experience - apparently her Chemistry teacher didn't show up to lesson at times. So she goes on to email the head of Chemistry and ask for weekly catch ups to help her, a Year 12 student, to understand Chemistry - she got ignored and then went to the staff room lol

Reactions: 14
Amazon has a look inside section for her book if anyone is interested

I love that she's like 'mental health is overlooked' while also spreading toxic positivity
also, really in this day and age, is mental health really overlooked? I think maybe when i was at school (a LONG time ago! I am mid 30s) but nowadays there is much more conversation around it

Reactions: 14
Oh my god, sorry to kind of change the subject but i've just had a look on amazon and why is this written in such a "how do you do fellow kids" tone lmao

(also i'm pretty sure this should be 'multifaceted' or at least 'multi-faceted'? idk i'm not a native speaker but this immediately stood out to me and google also says it's just one word?)

Screenshot 2021-08-06 162315.png

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
Oh my god, sorry to kind of change the subject but i've just had a look on amazon and why is this written in such a "how do you do fellow kids" tone lmao

(also i'm pretty sure this should be 'multifaceted' or at least 'multi-faceted'? idk i'm not a native speaker but this immediately stood out to me and google also says it's just one word?)

View attachment 699904
God her writing style is atrocious, I hate that she is used things like "slay" etc, and as you say multi faceted is definitely not two words, did she have an editor?! The whole thing reads like an instagram post rather than a book imo

Reactions: 34
I'm 54% through the sample and I'm just bored so here are my favourite quotes:
lol.png

double lol.png

You have oh so many perspectives Jade!

And here is something I didn't agree with:
subject.png

I went to a tit school and all of my teachers recommended doing reading and watching extra stuff to get the facts I needed into my head or otherwise understand concepts. I'm sure there are teachers who don't encourage it but, from my experience, a lot of teachers treated A-levels as a step up to university and that meant that lessons were just going to be the 'skeleton' of the subject - the student would have to be the one to read around it and apply it to what they know.

And a conspiracy theory:
She writes about laziness, conformity and circumstances as to the reason people aren't productive enough or something. To me, this sounds like she has read some sociological theories on the differences between working-classes and upper-classes and applied these to education. The stuff she mentions at times seems to be overly aimed at the working-class kids or those in tit schools that aren't going to be very encouraging. This really doesn't seem to be coming purely from her experience

Also I lowkey hate the writing. She switches topics without really fully linking them sometimes and it gets confusing

• Sick
Reactions: 22
Her writing is unbearable. I feel as if I was reading a ted talk script from some smug quirky teenager 🤮

God her writing style is atrocious, I hate that she is used things like "slay" etc, and as you say multi faceted is definitely not two words, did she have an editor?! The whole thing reads like an instagram post rather than a book imo
If she had an editor they need to be fired (sorry), there are so many sentences that sound incredibly clunky and like @Merpedy said none of the topics are properly linked? My mind immediately went to blog post or instagram caption too, definitely does not read like a book at all.

Reactions: 19
I'm 54% through the sample and I'm just bored so here are my favourite quotes:
View attachment 699906
View attachment 699907
You have oh so many perspectives Jade!

And here is something I didn't agree with:
View attachment 699908
I went to a tit school and all of my teachers recommended doing reading and watching extra stuff to get the facts I needed into my head or otherwise understand concepts. I'm sure there are teachers who don't encourage it but, from my experience, a lot of teachers treated A-levels as a step up to university and that meant that lessons were just going to be the 'skeleton' of the subject - the student would have to be the one to read around it and apply it to what they know.

And a conspiracy theory:
She writes about laziness, conformity and circumstances as to the reason people aren't productive enough or something. To me, this sounds like she has read some sociological theories on the differences between working-classes and upper-classes and applied these to education. The stuff she mentions at times seems to be overly aimed at the working-class kids or those in tit schools that aren't going to be very encouraging. This really doesn't seem to be coming purely from her experience

Also I lowkey hate the writing. She switches topics without really fully linking them sometimes and it gets confusing
totally agree, loads of this seems contradictory - school is not really designed to teach you this much imo anyway, education at school is pretty basic, you learn much more when you start work imo (or uni if you go) just from meeting so many people from different backgrounds etc, lots of schools just tend to be quite local so have similar people

Her writing is unbearable. I feel as if I was reading a ted talk script from some smug quirky teenager 🤮
I think she tried to sound engaging and cool but it just came off a bit as a children's book tbh

The majority of her fanbase is probably going to be university students now anyway, but also GCSE and A-level students are going to have good reading skills, probably read a fair amount and if they're picking up a book to study they'll expect it to be very straight to the point

I haven't looked more at the sample (seems to give almost 2 chapters of content which is huge) but if the writing style is so bad through the whole book it's probably going to be hard to just flip to a page about a certain topic and find something that you need help on urgently without wanting to read 10 pages of tangents

You'll be happy to know that her introduction chapter mentions some of those things other students had to do. The way she wrote it is acting as though she also experienced that stuff which is probably untrue

She also makes a huge deal about how her parents didn't go to uni and she was therefore the 'guinea pig' yet many middle-class schools will have a lot more help available for students and I know some that have Oxbridge help specifically

She does seem to expand here and there on her teacher experience - apparently her Chemistry teacher didn't show up to lesson at times. So she goes on to email the head of Chemistry and ask for weekly catch ups to help her, a Year 12 student, to understand Chemistry - she got ignored and then went to the staff room lol
This is one of those things that grinds my gears. It was not common for most school leavers to go to university until relatively recently - but that did not mean that our parents and grandparents were not able to access higher levels of education, and it was often free or very low cost. My grandfather was an electrical engineer who gained all of his qualifications through night school and a polytechical college. My mum gained higher level qualifications at a local college. Nowadays they’d both probably be directed towards HE but that wasn’t how it worked back then. Trotting out the ‘first in my family to go to uni’ line to try to claim some kind of struggle when you’re a middle-class kids who likely comes from a couple of generations of relative prosperity and access to education is disingenuous to say the least. Jack does it, Jade does it and it really, really winds me up.

Reactions: 23
She really does think she's Berkshire's answer to Malala doesn't she

• Haha
Reactions: 43
This is one of those things that grinds my gears. It was not common for most school leavers to go to university until relatively recently - but that did not mean that our parents and grandparents were not able to access higher levels of education, and it was often free or very low cost. My grandfather was an electrical engineer who gained all of his qualifications through night school and a polytechical college. My mum gained higher level qualifications at a local college. Nowadays they’d both probably be directed towards HE but that wasn’t how it worked back then. Trotting out the ‘first in my family to go to uni’ line to try to claim some kind of struggle when you’re a middle-class kids who likely comes from a couple of generations of relative prosperity and access to education is disingenuous to say the least. Jack does it, Jade does it and it really, really winds me up.
exactly, same with me, my dad, who is now 70 to give an idea, ended up in a very "academic" career without ever having gone to uni, things were so different back then, now it seems that even a basic job needs a degree

She really does think she's Berkshire's answer to Malala doesn't she
100% new thread title idea :ROFLMAO:

Okay compilation of the things that most infuriated me while reading

Yeah Jade, I'm sure you definitely did research on neuroscience to write this book
1628260928905.png

this is a lie :)
1628261040999.png

"I have curls, I'm so quirky! 🤪✌ "
1628261105023.png

sure
1628261209127.png

sorry this metaphor just annoys me so much, a museum-goer isn't (shouldn't) be passive. I get what she's going for here but if you're in a museum, you engage with the art? And you learn about artists and techniques or periods and think about it critically maybe? Make meaning of the art? Interpret it?
1628261332905.png

this sounds wrong? or just clunky? idk at first I thought it should be "I was spending trible the time on chemistry as I was on any other subject" but that also sounds strange, so maybe it's the sentence structure? Native speakers help me out?
1628261624990.png

sorry but these metaphors are so bad
1628261528088.png

this sentence sounds weird?
1628261825709.png

lmao
1628261977572.png

this sentence made me want to claw my eyes out :)
1628262086900.png

1628262098570.png

the "if you're depressed, just be happy" paragraph
1628262327192.png

i think this sentence is missing something? or maybe her writing has fried my brain idk
1628262438304.png

Okay I'm almost halfway through the look inside bit and I'm giving up, sorry! Thus far it has been nothing of substance or value (literally nothing, there has not been a single piece of advice) and she has only rambled about her own life about how she had it so hard?!

(I have now concluded that she either did not have an editor or she had an extremely bad one...)

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.