Ukraine Russia War #14

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A recording of the call between Macron and Putin has been (re) highlighted - February 2022, a French TV company was doing a documentary on Macron's EU presidency so were there to record not just the call but the reactions of the advisors (in a separate room who listen in and advise/comment to Macron via text).
All subtitled thank fck, in French and English.

Macron really earning his wages there - anyone not into watching (only eight minutes!) can just savour the first bit (visible in the preview?) where Macron is somewhat uncharitable about Putin's lawyers.
Guilty of misjudging Macron previously, I doff the proverbial hat to him on this.
Putin is just so full of tit. Macron trying to treat him like an equal, when Putin's just lying constantly.
What the hell. Well done macron for trying but did he really think it was going to change anything?
Once again, Putin isn't a politician but a leader of a criminal gang. He doesn't think in terms of politics

Reactions: 5
Russian foreign ministry threatens war against the IAEA because suggestions to put Zaporizhia under neutral international control would be a violation of russian sovereign territory.

And it looks like the Ukrainian drones are working better against Russian oil exports than the sanctions

What's been hit so far...
20240313_200541.jpg

... with quite a few still in range just waiting.

Putin has lost all respect of the world. He's unhinged like Kim Jong Un. He's a mobster not a leader.

• Heart
Putin has lost all respect of the world. He's unhinged like Kim Jong Un. He's a mobster not a leader.
I don't think he ever really had respect. It is difficult for me that politician etc in the west used to and still do let him get away with everything

Macron did quite the speech yesterday, this being the general direction:

Letting Russia win in Ukraine is sure to let it threaten the security of Europeans. It is for this reason that it cannot and must not win this war.
Could have gone for a simple 'bolleaux a Putain' but that I think only really works in franglais (and TBH 'poutine' seems an overly polite variant).

Ballot boxes are being taken round occupied regions of Ukraine, the images and footage of people voting at gunpoint coming as no particular surprise - even Russians over in Russia know the election is a bit of a pointless waste of time but they do it anyway...

And yesterday Dmitry Medvedev posted his seven point peace plan for Ukraine
[ full translation of Telegram post here => Anton Gerashchenko tweet ]

TLDR : Ukraine surrenders, submits to assimilation and ceases to exist as an entity.
The only reason it takes seven steps is for the BS pseuo legal path of treaties and declarations of exactly the sort that Putin says don't count.

Reactions: 3
Latest Russian refineries to be hit, two in Samara oblast 800-900km past the front line, one of them previously had nearby explosion(s), not sure if they are directly linked e.g. early attempts.

Anyway, someone did a bingo card. Of course someone did a bingo card...

20240316_111437.jpg

And in Russian domestic politics there's the height of election 'buzz' - a flood of pictures of spoiled ballot papers (with assorted write-ins), ballot boxes getting filled with green dye (or green ink, am I missing an alternative origin story here?), and a clip of a dog crapping on a photo of Putin.

Latest Russian refineries to be hit, two in Samara oblast 800-900km past the front line, one of them previously had nearby explosion(s), not sure if they are directly linked e.g. early attempts.

Anyway, someone did a bingo card. Of course someone did a bingo card...

View attachment 2818730

And in Russian domestic politics there's the height of election 'buzz' - a flood of pictures of spoiled ballot papers (with assorted write-ins), ballot boxes getting filled with green dye (or green ink, am I missing an alternative origin story here?), and a clip of a dog crapping on a photo of Putin.
For context on green dye:

• Heart
Russia's so-called elections continue, for no purpose other than to bolster the 'Putinist' history that will be taught in Rusian schools

Ammo shortages affecting Ukrainian air defence

However Russia has its own air defence problems... another Russian refinery looks like it might have been put out of action - this time across the sea to the right of Crimea - and Moscow area air traffic got disrupted by Ukrainian drones again, adding pressure for air defence systems to be moved from elsewhere.

And a reminder of where the US aid money goes, given the interesting assertions that keep being made about it...
20240214_133132.png

And some additional perspective from Estonian PM Kaja Kallas on what Putin wants us to be afraid of

IIRC she has been mentioned as a possible contender for NATO chief.

Reactions: 4
I went and took part in Noon against Putin today. The queue was two miles long! Never seen anything like it. Didn't even get to "vote"(I'd have spoilt my ballot obviously) as I didn't get anywhere near doing that. Stood in line for 5 hours! Many were there for 8 hours by now. Incredible

• Heart
I went and took part in Noon against Putin today. The queue was two miles long! Never seen anything like it. Didn't even get to "vote"(I'd have spoilt my ballot obviously) as I didn't get anywhere near doing that. Stood in line for 5 hours! Many were there for 8 hours by now. Incredible
Congratulations on having Pootin for another year
---
IMG_9132.jpeg

• Haha
You say six and I raise you 10. Honestly having an election was laughable
I see your 10 and I raise you 12 as he can be in power until 2036.
I know, but it's all about appearances. You have to realise how deluded Putin is. He will have these elections and think that everyone all over the world believes they're legitimate.
You only have to see the press releases the Russian embassy UK puts out when the UK sanctions Russia.
Always ends with "We will retaliate to these unfair actions in due course"
🙄

• Sad
Reactions: 2
This photo has been doing the rounds and seems to sum up the Putin Elections 2024 perfectly

20240318_073553.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Conned, coerced, and then shoved to the front.

All while Russia touts itself as the great friend of the people of the 'global south'.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Conned, coerced, and then shoved to the front.

All while Russia touts itself as the great friend of the people of the 'global south'.
Coming from a very poor country I understand these people’s desperation. But I wish people would understand that going to war isn’t worth the money because you’ll most probably end up dead

• Sad
Russian foothold in Moldova denied, for the time being at least.

This is unexpected though suspect it doesn't represent the backpedalling that it seems to be, and is just a bit of manoeuvring that doesn't change the intended destination of being a handy stepping stone.

Interesting that they decided there was a need to say this, maybe they realise they are being watched closely, and perhaps the recent signing of a bilateral agreement between France and Moldova might have had some sway too.

Reactions: 1