Ukraine Russia Tensions - Crisis - War

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've just donated and I feel a bit more useful , not really much else I can do. I don't think I can watch the news tomorrow. I keep thinking of all those poor people young boys barely men fighting for their freedom and country. Babies and children being injured. It's utterly awful 😥.

I honestly thought we wouldn't ever see Europe be invaded like that again after what happened in WW2. I feel powerless because we can't send in our own troops it's like we are leaving them to die , It just feels so real as it's so close to home.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I just remembered that protests are illegal in Russia. Yet all those people showed up today to protest for Ukraine 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 27
NATO are sending a LOT of firepower for the Ukraine invasion , so I think it could turn very messy very quickly. 2 destroyers and a Warship from the UK - asked for by NATO, and RAF aircraft and refuellers. Germany luftwaffe have sent Eurofighters and Typhoons, Spain and France assisting. Lots of USA troops and helicopter gunships massing at RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus, presently.
4 Boeing B52 bombers from America requested by NATO have arrived at Fairford, Gloucestershire . An RAF Airbus Voyager has also been offered to assist them with air to air refuelling , if needed

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
Putin is merely carrying out an action that Israel have been getting away with in Palestine for years, but where’s the world outrage there?!

Israel have remained an illegal occupying force in Palestine since 1967, and every year since it has captured, confiscated, and illegally settled yet more and more Palestinian land (West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip). Palestinians are subject to daily harassment, oppression and are restricted from moving freely within their own country.

This occupation continues whilst the rest of the world idly stands aside and watches. Gaza is the worlds largest open air prison.

Oh but wait, let’s all pray for Ukraine. 👌🏻

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 20
NATO are sending a LOT of firepower for the Ukraine invasion , so I think it could turn very messy very quickly. 2 destroyers and a Warship from the UK - asked for by NATO, and RAF aircraft and refuellers. Germany luftwaffe have sent Eurofighters and Typhoons, Spain and France assisting. Lots of USA troops and helicopter gunships massing at RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus, presently
Are the aircraft carriers going ? My brother is stationed on HMS Elizabeth 😥😥

Putin is merely carrying out an action that Israel have been getting away with in Palestine for years, but where’s the world outrage there?!

Israel have remained an illegal occupying force in Palestine since 1967, and every year since it has captured, confiscated, and illegally settled yet more and more Palestinian land (West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip). Palestinians are subject to daily harassment, oppression and are restricted from moving freely within their own country.

This occupation continues whilst the rest of the world idly stands aside and watches. Gaza is the worlds largest open air prison.

While I have empathy for the Palestinian situation . Israel isn't threatening to blow up the rest of the world with nukes.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

While I have empathy for the Palestinian situation . Israel isn't threatening to blow up the rest of the world with nukes.
No, at the moment it's 2 destroyers and 1 warship from the Royal Navy

• Heart
Reactions: 5

I think many of us are “used” to the horrors of the Middle East unfortunately. Not discounting the horrors there this conflict in Europe resonates
More as many of us descend from those who left Europe after WW2 and we have seen first hand the impact those atrocities had on those we love

Reactions: 11

Not whilst the good old USA is funding them, no. So as they’re not making such threats currently that makes the occupation alright does it?!

Reactions: 6

I could use the same argument for what happened in Afghanistan - I lost family members out there when the Taliban entered Kabul - while the world watched on because they literally did (an animal rescue shelter was evacuated over Afghans who had worked with the US army and are still at threat of being killed for that work). I still remember the silence of friends who are self-styled activists. No one here is saying that what Israel is doing to Palestinians is ok or that they don't care because they do (you need only look at the turnout of people who attend Free Palestine rallies) - this thread isn't about Israel and Palestine

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
I think many of us are “used” to the horrors of the Middle East unfortunately. Not discounting the horrors there this conflict in Europe resonates
More as many of us descend from those who left Europe after WW2 and we have seen first hand the impact those atrocities had on those we love
How close this is is really hitting home for some people. I’ve seen some people make snarky remarks about how the EU is being destabilised by the new influx of refugees, but the neighbouring countries are being very accepting due to the shared history they have with Ukraine and how close they are geographically also

Reactions: 13
I could use the same argument for what happened in Afghanistan - I lost family members out there when the Taliban entered Kabul - while the world watched on because they literally did (an animal rescue shelter was evacuated over Afghans who had worked with the US army and are still at threat of being killed for that work). I still remember the silence of friends who are self-styled activists. No one here is saying that what Israel is doing to Palestinians is ok or that they don't care because they do (you need only look at the turnout of people who attend Free Palestine rallies) - this thread isn't about Israel and Palestine
I’m sorry for your loss. ♥ Afghanistan is another example of American interference in the Middle East, they took what they wanted and then washed their hands of it, quite literally.

No, it’s not the Israel Palestine thread, I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy of the situation, and the world reaction to it, that is all.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
My dad fought in Afghanistan. When he came home he wasn't the same man, so much so that we no longer have my dad. He might be living but he is an absolute shell of the father I once adored. We haven't spoke since 2016. The attacks on Palestine meant my childhood best friend, who gave up everything here to move with an incredible man she married and has two beautiful children with lost their father and their home. So I did pray for those situations. I was scared then and I'm scared now. It's not a completion about who's had it worse, war is terrifying. Innocent people loosing their life's is heartbreaking. The prospect that this might not just be something I watch on the news or it might not be someone I know being hurt in another country that it could happen to my home. It could be my country people watching on the news next it's terrifying.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 26
I’m sorry for your loss. ♥ Afghanistan is another example of American interference in the Middle East, they took what they wanted and then washed their hands of it, quite literally.

No, it’s not the Israel Palestine thread, I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy of the situation, and the world reaction to it, that is all.
You do realise this if the tit hits the fan in this we will all die ? Putin has 1500 nuclear missiles there won't be a Palestinian or Israel left to fight over.
That's why people are freaking out.

• Sad
Reactions: 21
I can’t sleep I can’t get the thought of the poor people of the Ukraine out of my head. I’m also so petrified about what may happen in the next few weeks. I’m taking tablets to try to be calm but I could be physically sick. Is anyone else really scared? I can’t imagine how the people of the Ukraine are feeling 💔

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 17

Thank you, it's been a very rough few months. I agree, but Afghanistan isn't the Middle East (but it's always referred to in those terms) and it's always been used for its position in central Asia, resources etc. There is a bittersweet pride in it being called the Graveyard of Empires, but the cost that comes at is so painful. I understand the point about hypocrisy - I didn't mean to be rude or disrespectful in any way at all, I'm just conscious of the thread taking on an Olympics Oppression-style tone when it's not about who has it worse etc. Suffering is suffering; wherever it is in the world and it's even scarier for people living on a continent which has had relative stability for many decades.
@Slowpoker I am so so sorry about your father. I can't begin to imagine the pain you must be in and I wish I was there to give you a hug and comfort you. I've heard so many heartbreaking stories about former soldiers who were in places like Kandahar and the impact fighting out there had on them - I truly am so sorry x

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I can’t sleep I can’t get the thought of the poor people of the Ukraine out of my head. I’m also so petrified about what may happen in the next few weeks. I’m taking tablets to try to be calm but I could be physically sick. Is anyone else really scared? I can’t imagine how the people of the Ukraine are feeling 💔
Yeah, I can't think of anything worse than people being woken up out their beds by missiles to face a day like today. I feel like I'm on edge waiting for that to be us. I even wanna skip my nighttime meds so I'm alert just incase.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

You do realise this if the tit hits the fan in this we will all die ? Putin has 1500 nuclear missiles there won't be a Palestinian or Israel left to fight over.
That's why people are freaking out.
I honestly think people underestimate how many things have to go wrong before a country would be willing to use nuclear weapons, especially potentially so close to its own borders. Putin isn't that stupid and would want to keep his power till he dies

We're more likely to see nukes being used as threats Cold War style than anything else, which is concerning but doesn't exactly mean that nuclear weapons would be used

Reactions: 9
Thank you, it's been a very rough few months. I agree, but Afghanistan isn't the Middle East (but it's always referred to in those terms) and it's always been used for its position in central Asia, resources etc. There is a bittersweet pride in it being called the Graveyard of Empires, but the cost that comes at is so painful. I understand the point about hypocrisy - I didn't mean to be rude or disrespectful in any way at all, I'm just conscious of the thread taking on an Olympics Oppression-style tone when it's not about who has it worse etc. Suffering is suffering; wherever it is in the world and it's even scarier for people living on a continent which has had relative stability for many decades.
@Slowpoker I am so so sorry about your father. I can't begin to imagine the pain you must be in and I wish I was there to give you a hug and comfort you. I've heard so many heartbreaking stories about former soldiers who were in places like Kandahar and the impact fighting out there had on them - I truly am so sorry x
Thank you, to us it honestly just feels like he died there and he's a stranger now. He's a different person with a different life. Xx

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.