Ukraine Russia Tensions - Crisis - War

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just when (personally) my mental health was beginning to recover post-COVID... we have this. Utterly despondent at the state of the world - I'm late 20s, my adult life has been plagued by collapse of the world - and I know it sounds hyperbolic, but I don't think it is. I was in Kyiv back in November, stayed with some friends of friends, which makes it all the more upsetting. I wish I could be someone who wasn't affected by world news like this (believe me there are plenty of people around who can ignore it/remain unaware) but I just can't.
I am the same no matter what I do I can not ignore world news because it feels wrong to not know what is going on. I can't switch off but we all deal with distressing news differently.

Sending you lots of love.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I'm worried about Estonia, too. That shares a border with Russia and was previously invaded and occupied by the Soviet Union.

I know we used to have troops in Estonia, but not sure if that's still the case. There are also a lot of Russians living and working in Estonia - more in the east close to the border.

Reactions: 10
Ukrainian politicians keep saying how Putin won't stop at their country and will invade more of the surrounding countries if he isn't stopped.

No idea how true this is? I thought he was quite focused for the last decade on Ukraine.
I do wander how much of this he’s had long term planned. They have an insane amount of financial reserves, they can withhold sanctions for a while. They also have there hand in so many pies, people are frightened to speak out. I was just watching the new explaining about how much money they have in UeFA and FIFA.

It says why Russia were so determine to prop up Belarus in the last year, they need them militarily.

Reactions: 9
I am the same no matter what I do I can not ignore world news because it feels wrong to not know what is going on. I can't switch off but we all deal with distressing news differently.

Sending you lots of love.
Thank you, I really appreciate it, same to you. I am my own worst enemy with it - doomscrolling, BBC news on in the background, watching the videos etc. I'm always amazed at people who can stay ignorant - perhaps they don't do it accidentally but as an act of self-preservation.

• Heart
So are the Chinese taking this as an opportunity to intimidate Taiwan? Europe doesn't really know what to do, I fear we're on the back foot.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I always associated fatherland with Nazi Germany. Maybe they are just interchangeable though?
From what I can tell, we typically use Motherland for Russia in English because we associate it with the female personification of 'Mother Russia'.
However, the literal translation of the Russian word "отчизна" (otchizna) for the concept is "fatherland".

The world is holding its breath right now. Is Putin actually motivated by European domination? Will he continue into Poland?
Will China back Russia and lead us all into WW3.
Its truly terrifying and I feel so sorry for the innocent civilians caught up in this, both Ukraine and Russians.

Reactions: 11
So are the Chinese taking this as an opportunity to intimidate Taiwan? Europe doesn't really know what to do, I fear we're on the back foot.
They fly over Taiwanese airspace from time to time to show provocation but interesting they chose to do it today.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
So are the Chinese taking this as an opportunity to intimidate Taiwan?
Almost certainly, they've been waiting and there couldn't be a better time (for them) than now to plan for imminent action.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
They fly over Taiwanese airspace from time to time to show provocation but interesting they chose to do it today.
And of course, honest gov we have no intention of invading you. Just like Russia.
For sure its interesting timing.

Reactions: 4
Thank you, I really appreciate it, same to you. I am my own worst enemy with it - doomscrolling, BBC news on in the background, watching the videos etc. I'm always amazed at people who can stay ignorant - perhaps they don't do it accidentally but as an act of self-preservation.
I was literally doing an online lecture on zoom and NO ONE was talking about it but they all happily bang on about COVID. This seems arguably much more scary than COVID.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
Guess that's why Australia is talking about keeping a very open eye on the Indo-Pacific region while supporting the European side. And Aus has the support of Japan, Singapore etc in the region.

Reactions: 8
And of course, honest gov we have no intention of invading you. Just like Russia.
For sure its interesting timing.
USA have a treaty and have to provide them with the means to have self defense the treaty doesn't have to provide boots on the ground but I think even Sleepy Joe would do something if it happened.

Reactions: 3
I was literally doing an online lecture on zoom and NO ONE was talking about it but they all happily bang on about COVID. This seems arguably much more scary than COVID.
Jeez. I remember being at Uni during the 2015 general election - and someone on my competitive course (that required all A's as entrance requirements) said that they didn't know what left or right wing meant. We've got a massive problem with the standard of education in this country on lots of issues - as the quote goes "those that cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

(I'll get back on topic now)

Reactions: 12
Is there a correct way to pronounce Kyiv? On radio 4 they're saying it several different ways - even the same presentors are switching to different pronunciations.

No panic buying of fuel or food where I am in kent at the moment, thankfully.
I do wonder if Kiev is more of an Anglicised/ European spelling and Kyiv is more like how Ukrainians would say it .

From what I was told by someone I know who is Russian, the alphabet and phonetics don't directly translate into English/ non Russian so she had to choose a simplified spelling to write her name in English and she pronounces it this way to English speakers.

Going a bit off topic , but I find languages fascinating.

Reactions: 8
The world is holding its breath right now. Is Putin actually motivated by European domination? Will he continue into Poland?
Will China back Russia and lead us all into WW3.
Its truly terrifying and I feel so sorry for the innocent civilians caught up in this, both Ukraine and Russians.
We've just been saying the same here. China will surely bail Russia out financially, and surely Putin knew he'd be hit in his pocket which is why he's ignored the threats knowing he'd have back up.
I've an awful feeling that the tip toeing in sanctions by the West is to buy us time in planning before inevitable Military action.
The question is.. is Putin willy waving in his retaliation threats, or does he mean it? I feel we're on a knife edge right now

Guess that's why Australia is talking about keeping a very open eye on the Indo-Pacific region while supporting the European side. And Aus has the support of Japan, Singapore etc in the region.
South Korea as well , Japan has started rearming and spending more on defense. Basically it's China Vs the rest of East Asia.

Reactions: 6
The people have no safe haven you’d think the government would offer some advice , I saw earlier the roads from the capital are blocked by people trying to escape the shelling
B272887C-293C-4B52-B910-5EF0749E4395.jpeg

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.