UK Politics

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And the slogans are all....terrible!

To-gan-heart a fresh start

I hope Liz and rishi start to lose support. Would be great to have neither of them in the final vote.
The only takeaway I suppose is we are all nuanced beyond the confined labels people try to gauge
And people are generally (including myself) massive contradictions.

Reactions: 2
So many slogans around at the moment.

Ready for Rishi
PM for PM
Any but Penny
Penny Mordant sounds like an absolute fuckwit, but has the support of the Tory membership, so she'll be Boris Mark 2. If she wins its Labours election to lose ( which to be fair, they could quite easily do!) Starmer should be able to outwit her in his sleep.

• Haha
Those that do are deluded though. I used to work with shift workers who thought they were middle class because they made 45k a year in a relatively low income area. Some of them were rabid union reps in those dastardly rail unions full of 'lefty dinosaurs determined to take this country back to the 70s' etc etc but thought themselves middle class and never voted anything other than Tory. The same party that thinks their jobs should be automated ASAP.

The only takeaway I suppose is we are all nuanced beyond the confined labels people try to gauge political views with and people will potentially vote against their own interests if the sales pitch is good enough. Social media has diluted this more and I don't doubt it will be even more severe as time goes on.
I'm probably one of those contradictory nouveau middle class types you mention above.

Just out of curiosity what exactly are "my" interests that I'm so easily swayed to vote against?

I'm probably one of those contradictory nouveau middle class types you mention above.

Just out of curiosity what exactly are "my" interests that I'm so easily swayed to vote against?
You personally? How should I know, I don't know you.

But I have directly witnessed people I know personally vote for things that would disadvantage them (and did!) Then complain about the outcome afterwards because of poor political literacy/apathy. Same effect as the Panama Papers and Edward Snowden: 'it will change the world!' It won't because people are lazy, either too lazy to properly read up on their choices or too lazy to change in light of new information. But not too lazy to vote.

I don't even mean obvious things like people voting leave and then raging about the problems resulting from that, or national election stuff. Some of my in laws voted in local council elections recently and their chosen candidates had outlined plans to convert a local greenspace into an assisted living residential area, prior to the election. They won and now that is pressing ahead. In laws reaction: 'but that's where I walk my dog!' :rolleyes:

Edit: I remember the union put a proposed pay deal to the members once which was a slight immediate increase for a 'productivity' deal that affected terms and conditions with regards to what work you could be utilised for when at work. Some of the guys who were most vocal about voting to accept it complained about the productivity agreement almost immediately after it came in because it didn't work to their advantage. Almost like that's what the deal was.

Reactions: 5
Penny Mordant sounds like an absolute fuckwit, but has the support of the Tory membership, so she'll be Boris Mark 2. If she wins its Labours election to lose ( which to be fair, they could quite easily do!) Starmer should be able to outwit her in his sleep.
Apparently her trans views have her out of favour with the Tory hierarchy.

Reactions: 1
Ironically I just googled her name and 'trans' and there are articles saying she is anti-trans and articles saying she is too pro-trans rights for some in the party.

Reactions: 1
I think Javid and Hunt both stepped down on the proviso of a future cabinet post from Rishi - as in, 'okay I will step down, most of my support will probably go to you, I'll support you, but in return I want a good cabinet posting if/when you become PM'. It feels like most of this process is basically just people bribing each other with numbers and cabinet posts.
Rory Stewart confirmed that is exactly how it works in his podcast this week.

Reactions: 3
Thank God that lunatic Braverman is out although no doubt she'll be back in cabinet if / when Liz Truss becomes PM

Reactions: 5
Ironically I just googled her name and 'trans' and there are articles saying she is anti-trans and articles saying she is too pro-trans rights for some in the party.
She backtracked so fast she must have got whiplash! She drafted emergency legislation so that MP's could get maternity leave after Suella Braverman had a baby. The HoL forced a change of wording from ' pregnant people' to 'expectant mothers'. She said it was down to her, but it wasn't.

The more I hear about Penny the more I want Liz to get it😬. Tart tom should bow out now and not be a distraction. Kemi is better saved until there's a decent opposition.

Reactions: 4
They’re all supporting Rwanda but have paused the flights until September because it would generate too much controversy during the leadership race… so like I’m a bit confused on how that’s working

I’d have thought that if they support Rwanda and their voters support Rwanda a flight going ahead and causing controversy would give the perfect campaign ammo. This just feels like no one really wants to put their reputation on the line instead?

Reactions: 6
You just have to type "how ta" and google assumes you're looking for Rishi's height and tells you (a figure scraped from wikipedia that I don't believe).

Screenshot 2022-07-15 11.18.16.png

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.