UK Politics & Brexit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Some remainers still don't get it. You can't express any concerns about how how you've been disadvantaged by very rapid mass immigration without being called racist or xenophobic. That's why people voted out. Some people felt the floor fall though on their job overnight, just because you weren't affected doesn't mean no one was.
It’s classism and snobbery. Boils down to believing working class oiks are stupid and lazy.

casually ignore lack of investment in industrial towns.

casually ignore rampant social issues borne from deprivation (drugs, anti social behaviour, lack of academic or apprenticeship opportunity)

casually ignore corporations importing cheap, contract free unskilled labour to protect profit margins.

casually ignore bottleneck of population booms forcing rent and property prices up for minimum wage or unemployed

casually ignore pressure on services in underfunded council areas

Poverty traps aren’t really a thing, it’s just the dirty underclass blaming the world for their problems. 🙄

Reactions: 2
We were out for dinner tonight and passed by Parliament Square on our way home - I have to say it was nice to see a happy scene, whatever the reason.

I did vote leave, however I respect those who voted Remain - although I did just spend ten minutes reading a friends post of Facebook basically calling anyone who voted leave unintelligent.
I am delighted there hasn’t been any real angst this evening. It appears to have been relatively good humoured as far as i am aware. It is imperative negotiations are allowed to take a tolerant and productive course and that a rational and productive relationship with Europe and the wider world can flourish. As ever, time will be the judge.

And one final point: life owes us nothing.
Some remainers still don't get it. You can't express any concerns about how how you've been disadvantaged by very rapid mass immigration without being called racist or xenophobic. That's why people voted out. Some people felt the floor fall though on their job overnight, just because you weren't affected doesn't mean no one was.
and you can’t express a different perspective without being called a “remoaner” or a “lefty” or other names under the sun. We just need to stop being so divisive and blaming each other or external issues and get on with our lives, there’s no benefit to moaning really.

Reactions: 1
I've been watching and reading the threads on a parenting forum and one who voted remain said she spent Friday in bed and most of the day sobbing as she's terrified of Brexit. She then said she ventured downstairs to get some wine and went back to bed because she's so scared and doesn't know how she will survive.

It was followed by at least 20 posts saying she was absolutely right to be feeling that way, that the UK will officially be classed as a third world country from January 2021, that she needs to begin stockpiling food in preparation as we won't be receiving any imported food.

A couple of posters who voted leave then said this absolutely wouldn't be the case and they then got piled on saying nobody knows what will happen so they can't say it won't but they absolutely can say it will.

There's a lot of scaremongering going on and I've seen a lot of abuse directed towards Leave voters but the thing that bugs me is how remainers can absolutely say that it will all go wrong because they know but leavers can't say what might work as they possibly couldn't know.

The problem is now, anything could go wrong and it will automatically be because of Brexit, regardless.

I’m glad the process is over. I voted retail and the leave is a decision I think the uk will regret, but I respect that it was the decision voted for.
In the next decade I hope the Scotland will get independence and rejoin. I’m hopeful that NI will get the chance too, perhaps by rejoining ROI. Who knows.
No one up here in Scotland is happy. Feels thrust upon us, much like a con government.
Your last line is super interesting "no one up here in Scotland is happy"

I'm from a large family, half of whom live in Scotland and who are happy that the UK has left. They don't want independence and don't want to remain in the EU.

Yet Scottish remainers truly believe they speak for everyone which is incredible really and shows how they can't expand their thinking.

Regardless of what way you voted. This is so unnecessary:

Of course it it unnecessary. But what's important to remember is that behaviour isn't symptomatic of all leave voters.

Round here where I leave, there's a house that was a leave voter. They had a party on Friday. Remainers on the street threw eggs at the house and cut up their union flat they had hung on the door.

It's not just the leavers that cause problems.

I'm from a large family, half of whom live in Scotland and who are happy that the UK has left. They don't want independence and don't want to remain in the EU.

Yet Scottish remainers truly believe they speak for everyone which is incredible really and shows how they can't expand their thinking.

Of course it it unnecessary. But what's important to remember is that behaviour isn't symptomatic of all leave voters.

Round here where I leave, there's a house that was a leave voter. They had a party on Friday. Remainers on the street threw eggs at the house and cut up their union flat they had hung on the door.

Like I said, regardless of which way, there’s no need for violence or hate crime.

This whole thing has just caused unnecessary division and tbh, to me that’s the biggest disadvantage of all! I’m appalled by some people’s behaviour.

I should of said no one in Scotland I know. People naturally see things from their own bubble. The night of the vote from my SM you’d of thought it would be a landslide remain.
Scotland as a majority voted remain. leave is the minority here. I know none.
Im happy for brexit to be a massive success and for me to be proven wrong.

Here they come Xenophobes all in a row...THIS was on Twitter...pathetic especially as most of the Royals are a mix-up of nationalities.... Some so called Brits need to learn their history...
Oh, for fucks sake. Are we going to start this divisive crap. Both sides are as bad as each other.
And people who keep sharing this tit is just stirring the pot. So stop stirring and in actual fact HAVE the countries back

Here they come Xenophobes all in a row...THIS was on Twitter...pathetic especially as most of the Royals are a mix-up of nationalities.... Some so called Brits need to learn their history...
Sharing this ridiculous stuff is just causing the divide to remain. You've given them airtime and made a further promotion to remainers that this is how all leavers feel.

You are no better for sharing it.

Sharing this ridiculous stuff is just causing the divide to remain. You've given them airtime and made a further promotion to remainers that this is how all leavers feel.

You are no better for sharing it.
I rest my case ...and YOU are no better than the person who wrote it then! Equality means accepting peoples opinions even if they differ from yours but all you can do is insult people like the obvious 'keyboard warrior you are!

and you can’t express a different perspective without being called a “remoaner” or a “lefty” or other names under the sun. We just need to stop being so divisive and blaming each other or external issues and get on with our lives, there’s no benefit to moaning really.
Sure life owes you nothing but should we just ignore people that are being left behind? What your saying is just I don't care deal with it. Rather than trying to improve it or help people.

It's a big difference between being called racist and xenophobic for wanting to leave an ever growing in power political union and people that refuse to accept a democratic vote. Oil and water.

Sure life owes you nothing but should we just ignore people that are being left behind? What your saying is just I don't care deal with it. Rather than trying to improve it or help people.

It's a big difference between being called racist and xenophobic for wanting to leave an ever growing in power political union and people that refuse to accept a democratic vote. Oil and water.
I never said I didn’t care - please point out where I said that exactly?

Moaning has no benefit. Blaming others has no benefit. Go out there and live your lives, and try to make a difference or be the change you want to see in the world. You’re allowed to be upset and angry no matter which way you voted, or even if you didn’t vote at all, but stewing on that isn’t really helpful for anyone.

F2948A8E-FFCD-467F-AC75-9E2A95EAD8F8.jpeg

This is a really sad state of affairs. The anti-immigration rhetoric of “Brexit” is the most damaging to UK society. We will see what it does to the economy in the mean time. It may take years and years to recover, but this government has just enabled these attitudes to come out of the woodwork and thrive unfortunately.
It’s such a shame to see a proud, and somewhat progressive and accepting country become so backward.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I’m sure there are people who are vocally xenophobic and telling people to duck off back home. But I have to say in the 16 years I’ve lived here I’ve not had single person treating me like that because I’m foreign. Ofcourse I’ve gotten into arguments but nobody has ever said anything in that vain to me. Tell a lie my OH has done when we’ve argued 😂
But my point is Brexit hasn’t got anything to do with. Racist, homophobic, sexist etc people would still act like that despite the politics.
The only things I’ve encountered has been sexism, and not just from Brits, and other foreigners calling me a white witch but then I probably was being a witch and I am white so they weren’t wrong.

I’m sure there are people who are vocally xenophobic and telling people to duck off back home. But I have to say in the 16 years I’ve lived here I’ve not had single person treating me like that because I’m foreign. Ofcourse I’ve gotten into arguments but nobody has ever said anything in that vain to me. Tell a lie my OH has done when we’ve argued 😂
But my point is Brexit hasn’t got anything to do with. Racist, homophobic, sexist etc people would still act like that despite the politics.
The only things I’ve encountered has been sexism, and not just from Brits, and other foreigners calling me a white witch but then I probably was being a witch and I am white so they weren’t wrong.
I think you’re very wrong to be honest. Just because you haven’t experienced it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Yes, it still happens, regardless of politics but things like Brexit have made it a whole lot worse. There’s a lot of evidence that would back it up too.

I think you’re very wrong to be honest. Just because you haven’t experienced it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Yes, it still happens, regardless of politics but things like Brexit have made it a whole lot worse. There’s a lot of evidence that would back it up too.
What evidence? If you have nothing to compare it to how can you say it’s worse?

There was a spike in reported hate crimes in the days directly after the referendum and an increase in the years afterwards. So there is evidence. BUT I very much agree that it’s simplistic and unhelpful at this point to say that’s because all Leavers are racists. Plenty are. Many of whom won’t even realise how bigoted some of their opinions are. But guess what? Plenty of people who vote remain will be prejudiced as duck whether they realise it or not too. Racism isn’t a black or white issue (ironically...) its more of a complicated sliding scale. And while it might be true that more people who voted leave have ‘classically racist’ views it doesn’t mean your average metropolitan remainer isn’t full of their own prejudices, ones that can be just as harmful even if that’s in different ways.
Not to mention the class snobbery inherent in so much of the remain rhetoric about how if not racist then stupid the working class are (as someone else said above)

I say this as someone who strongly supported remain, who does think there were a lot of misinformation and downright lies spread during the campaign (on both sides but I think far more potently by Leave) and that immigration was a key deciding issue. But I agree we can’t continue being so divisive.
For one thing, it’s idiotic and way overly simplistic about what happened. But for another its terrible for the country and future.

Remainers had our years to grieve and come to terms with it. I never supported a second referendum though most people I know did. I would have liked a time machine but a second referendum was clearly so disrespectful and unjust and the last election proved how unpopular those proposed policies really were. I almost never comment on Facebook but I couldn’t help myself on a post from someone I went to school with. Essentially it said anyone supporting Brexit is either racist or selfishly in it for themselves. people like this act like simply having ‘liberal’ views is something everyone else should be impressed by (while also saying such narrow minded things.)
I said it wasn’t helpful to talk like that now. Our discussion didn’t really go anywhere. I really don’t want to comment on the statuses of people I’ve not seen for 12 years anymore ! We have to make the best of what the future holds that we can, not as a Disunited kingdom.

(Sorry I didn’t mean to turn this into a soapbox)