UK Politics & Brexit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There was a spike in reported hate crimes in the days directly after the referendum and an increase in the years afterwards. So there is evidence. BUT I very much agree that it’s simplistic and unhelpful at this point to say that’s because all Leavers are racists. Plenty are. Many of whom won’t even realise how bigoted some of their opinions are. But guess what? Plenty of people who vote remain will be prejudiced as duck whether they realise it or not too. Racism isn’t a black or white issue (ironically...) its more of a complicated sliding scale. And while it might be true that more people who voted leave have ‘classically racist’ views it doesn’t mean your average metropolitan remainer isn’t full of their own prejudices, ones that can be just as harmful even if that’s in different ways.
Not to mention the class snobbery inherent in so much of the remain rhetoric about how if not racist then stupid the working class are (as someone else said above)

I say this as someone who strongly supported remain, who does think there were a lot of misinformation and downright lies spread during the campaign (on both sides but I think far more potently by Leave) and that immigration was a key deciding issue. But I agree we can’t continue being so divisive.
For one thing, it’s idiotic and way overly simplistic about what happened. But for another its terrible for the country and future.

Remainers had our years to grieve and come to terms with it. I never supported a second referendum though most people I know did. I would have liked a time machine but a second referendum was clearly so disrespectful and unjust and the last election proved how unpopular those proposed policies really were. I almost never comment on Facebook but I couldn’t help myself on a post from someone I went to school with. Essentially it said anyone supporting Brexit is either racist or selfishly in it for themselves. people like this act like simply having ‘liberal’ views is something everyone else should be impressed by (while also saying such narrow minded things.)
I said it wasn’t helpful to talk like that now. Our discussion didn’t really go anywhere. I really don’t want to comment on the statuses of people I’ve not seen for 12 years anymore ! We have to make the best of what the future holds that we can, not as a Disunited kingdom.

(Sorry I didn’t mean to turn this into a soapbox)
I actually think you’ve put things rather eloquently. I’m not always good at expressing myself, especially in English.
I 100% agree about the whole racism thing. I don’t think people actually know the definition of racism and just think people are racist if they dislike somebody that is foreign. Which I can categorically tell you is not true.
I am an equally opportunity hater. I don’t care what colour, race, religion, sexuality etc you are, if I think you are a knob I will tell you

Reactions: 3

About time. If you want to live in the UK go through the proper channels to come here legally. If you're caught sneaking in send them back the very same day. We have been a soft touch for far too long. They aren't coming here from a dangerous country, they are coming over the water from France which is perfectly safe for them to stay in and a lot safer than crossing water.

Reactions: 4
I hope this thread is far more fair and balanced, than what on DS echo chamber 'politics'. 😁

About time. If you want to live in the UK go through the proper channels to come here legally. If you're caught sneaking in send them back the very same day. We have been a soft touch for far too long. They aren't coming here from a dangerous country, they are coming over the water from France which is perfectly safe for them to stay in and a lot safer than crossing water.
I agree.

It is unsustainable having large numbers entering the country illegally. Both for available housing they will be shoved in, but also benefits paid and access public services. Those that say they have no rights to public services are talking crap. They get access to a fair chunk of them.

Unfortunately, many on the metropolitan left do not seem to understand the term 'limits', just a continued free for all.

Reactions: 2
Brexit was about immigration and a tax avoidance scheme.

I mean the fact that our exports dropped massively to the EU, after January, which means COVID-19 can't be blamed. The fishing industry is in a mess, which is their fault because the majority of them voted to leave the EU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I grew up in the UK but now live in Ireland so I viewed Brexit from this sort of semi detached position. Had I been in the UK I would have voted remain because I believe a united European Union is preferable to and stronger than countries splintering off. Had anybody ever been able to explain to me how The UK would be better off out of the EU I was open to persuasion but nobody ever has.

That said, what’s done is done and better to focus on trying to make the best of the new situation than keeping on fighting about the Referendum result.

I will say though, that as a former member of the UK Labour Party, I was furious with Jeremy Corbyn for just sitting on the fence and not delivering a strong remain campaign. What with the Government’s remain campaign being extremely inept and the opposition doing pretty much bugger all it’s no wonder the outcome was Leave.

Reactions: 5
We have one the worst recessions in Europe, imports to the EU are something like down 50%, but yeah, we're not in a mess.
Brexit is not the reason for the recession the pandemic is 🤦🏼‍♀️
You need to fairly thick not to realise that.
On top of that we wouldn’t have vaccinated half the population if we remained.
So yeah tell me why remaining would’ve been a great idea. Half the EU no want out as well due to the idiots running it.
So, yeah, as per usual where the UK leads the rest will want to follow

• Heart
Brexit is not the reason for the recession the pandemic is 🤦🏼‍♀️
You need to fairly thick not to realise that.
On top of that we wouldn’t have vaccinated half the population if we remained.
So yeah tell me why remaining would’ve been a great idea. Half the EU no want out as well due to the idiots running it.
So, yeah, as per usual where the UK leads the rest will want to follow

What are you even on about it? I was replying to someone's comment about EU being in a mess, then I replied that we have the worst recession in Europe, I didn't mention Brexit.

You do realise we made the order of vaccines while being in the EU and one of vaccines come from the EU.

Half of the EU want out? Can you post some sources with that?

But Brexit is at the fault for the fishing industry being in a ruin and over 50% of imports to the EU dropping.

What are you even on about it? I was replying to someone's comment about EU being in a mess, then I replied that we have the worst recession in Europe, I didn't mention Brexit.

You do realise we made the order of vaccines while being in the EU and one of vaccines come from the EU.

Half of the EU want out? Can you post some sources with that?

But Brexit is at the fault for the fishing industry being in a ruin and over 50% of imports to the EU dropping.
Brexit is not the reason for the fishing industry being in ruin. We are actually getting our waters back. France is the reason there is issues because they want to fish British waters. So speak to people in the actual fishing industry and they will tell you the EU were vile to them.

Imports are dropping because...........there is a pandemic. Nothing to do with Brexit

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Brexit is not the reason for the fishing industry being in ruin. We are actually getting our waters back. France is the reason there is issues because they want to fish British waters. So speak to people in the actual fishing industry and they will tell you the EU were vile to them.

Imports are dropping because...........there is a pandemic. Nothing to do with Brexit
And you now realize that the fishing industry are complaining about Boris because they're getting shafted. We can't get our fish into the EU, because of Brexit. Oh, and if the fishermen hated the idea of the Europeans controlling our waters, don't sell the quotas to them.

• Haha
And you now realize that the fishing industry are complaining about Boris because they're getting shafted. We can't get our fish into the EU, because of Brexit. Oh, and if the fishermen hated the idea of the Europeans controlling our waters, don't sell the quotas to them.
The only way to get Brexit done was to keep having them fish our waters. It will be a very long time before the quotas are lowered and it will have to be negotiated for years to come.
I suggest you go and read the Brexit agreements or at least the highlights

• Heart
The only way to get Brexit done was to keep having them fish our waters. It will be a very long time before the quotas are lowered and it will have to be negotiated for years to come.
I suggest you go and read the Brexit agreements or at least the highlights
If Brexit is not the reason, why can't we get our fish EU, and why are many of the fishing industries not struggling with the new red tape?

Thank duck I voted Brexit. Europe is a mess
I follow Lord Adonis and he's about as pro EU as they get.
even he is posting the current actions are just wrong. Tusk was a gentleman he never let anything phase him.
like the stories of 29 million doses being "hidden". It was shot down in hours but the damage done.

1 in 3 Danish now dont trust the AZ Vaccine. Yet its been proven to be safe. The Austrian PM is really kicking off now
they can see another Holiday season being written off

Reactions: 3