UK Politics #7

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This Dianne Abbot thing is ridiculous. She got suspended, she's now been reinstated , but I would imagine she holds today the exact same views as she held when she sent that letter to the newspaper. The only difference now is that she won't make the mistake of sending a letter to the newspaper. :rolleyes: I'd rather know what she thinks rather than have her silenced, that way we can decide via the ballot box. Maybe that's the underlying point.

Reactions: 5
I've seen 2 policies from Labour today that are usually funded by Council Tax so looking forward to getting a Birmingham style increase

Reactions: 1
I've seen 2 policies from Labour today that are usually funded by Council Tax so looking forward to getting a Birmingham style increase
I had to chuckle at the 'Change' logo on the last Rachel Reeves podium I saw because if Labour don't raise taxes that's the amount of money they'll have to spend. :ROFLMAO: :cautious:

Reactions: 2
The problem for Labour with Corbyn and Abbot is, unlike a lot of their slimier career politicians who will wear any rosette that's a winner for a seat in the house, those two are actually fantastic local MPs by all accounts (regardless of their problematic views on different issues).

I fully expect them to absolutely batter any candidate Labour puts up against them at the polls, because they are extremely active in their communities. That will be very embarassing for Starmer though.

Reactions: 9
Who are the people 'managing' Starmer behind the scenes? It really puts me off. I haven't got a problem with the bloke per se, but my God he seems managed to within an inch of his life. I bet the choice of glasses he wears have been curated by a spectacle-team. He never seems quite comfortable in his clothes (the fit just seems either a bit too tight or too short). Look, I get it, politics these days is about optics. But for fucks sake, give it a rest. I can imagine long into-the-night discussions about whether or not Keir should have his shirt-sleeves rolled-up, rolled-down, or half-way rolled. :rolleyes:

Just be natural Kier ... be yourself.

Reactions: 3
If this Dianne Abbott fiasco reminds us of anything it's that The Left always eats itself. FFS, just let the bloody woman stand and let the electorate decide. Again, if Keir cannot control his own Party, how the hell is he going to control the country, let alone Putin et al. That's not my view per se, but that's how it'll look to some people. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3
If this Dianne Abbott fiasco reminds us of anything it's that The Left always eats itself. FFS, just let the bloody woman stand and let the electorate decide. Again, if Keir cannot control his own Party, how the hell is he going to control the country, let alone Putin et al. That's not my view per se, but that's how it'll look to some people. :rolleyes:
It’s great election fodder for Diane 😂why wouldn’t she milk it to ensure the best result possible if she were to go it alone 🤷🏼‍♀️

It’s great election fodder for Diane 😂why wouldn’t she milk it to ensure the best result possible if she were to go it alone 🤷🏼‍♀️
I must be one of the very few people who have watched Dianne in select commitee hearings and she comes across as intelligent and well-briefed. I have no idea how well she performs for her constituency. I'd like to see her stand and let them decide. She does seem quite an easy target for some sections of the press. Sad really. Personally, I don't give a duck, I'm just expressing my view as I see it.

Reactions: 7
I must be one of the very few people who have watched Dianne in select commitee hearings and she comes across as intelligent and well-briefed. I have no idea how well she performs for her constituency. I'd like to see her stand and let them decide. She does seem quite an easy target for some sections of the press. Sad really. Personally, I don't give a duck, I'm just expressing my view as I see it.
On, I think it was BBC news, 2 night ago, they said at the last elections she got something like 70% of the vote! So she must be doing something right for her constituents.

I am really enjoying Emma Barton interviewing politicians on Today Radio 4. She is robust and takes no crap. Makes getting up more enjoyable when she’s on.

Exactly! She should be allowed to stand! It would be undemocratic to ban her if they’ve found nothing wrong during their investigation and reinstatement.

Exactly! She should be allowed to stand! It would be undemocratic to ban her if they’ve found nothing wrong during their investigation and reinstatement.

I don't really know what the Labour Party stands for really. It's like Tony Blair's Labour minus the charisma. I'm finding it difficult to explain myself because I didn't vote for Blair, but his early years as Prime Minister were some of the best for me. Maybe it's just my age. But under the early years of Blair there was positivity in the air.

I look at Britain today and I just see resignation. We're all just plod-on, watching The One Show. the rich get richer etc. COVID didn't help of course.

Starmer doesn't fill me with much hope, Sunak even less. I do believe both men are decent compared to someone like Boris Johnson but neither exactly light a fire. Again, it might just be an age thing.

It would be good to hear the views of 16-25 year olds, see what they want.

Tell me, what are your TWO most IMPORTANT things in this election? For me it is: EDUCATION and HOUSING.

Reactions: 9
I don't really know what the Labour Party stands for really. It's like Tony Blair's Labour minus the charisma. I'm finding it difficult to explain myself because I didn't vote for Blair, but his early years as Prime Minister were some of the best for me. Maybe it's just my age. But under the early years of Blair there was positivity in the air.

I look at Britain today and I just see resignation. We're all just plod-on, watching The One Show. the rich get richer etc. COVID didn't help of course.

Starmer doesn't fill me with much hope, Sunak even less. I do believe both men are decent compared to someone like Boris Johnson but neither exactly light a fire. Again, it might just be an age thing.

Tell me, what are your TWO most IMPORTANT things in this election? For me it is: EDUCATION and HOUSING.
We don’t get to vote in Westminster elections (NI) our sectarian politics make it impossible to progress, one foot forward, ten back! On repeat! …I can see so many similarities creeping in to the British political landscape , good luck with that one ,is all 🙄

• Sad

Housing and the cost of living - it feels like my wages don't go as far as they did.

Reactions: 5
I know I said Housing was important for me, but of course housing is such a massive issue insofar as housing needs infrastructure; roads, schools, GP's, dentists, shops .... etc. etc.

For me. If I was in charge (lord help us) I would just tear everything up and start again. Implement a massive New Deal*, like FDR did in the USA. duck it, I would be up for it if it meant sorting out future generations. Also, I would only allow people aged 45 to vote .... not one of my more popular policies I admit. 😬

*The New Deal was a series of programs, public work projects, financial reforms, and regulations enacted by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in the United ... (Google).