Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Moley1

Chatty Member
Just needs to give him a peerage first then he can appoint him to cabinet. Given the dregs that Sunak has to choose from, appointing Cameron as Foreign Secretary wouldn't be a bad move.
So they put him in the Lords, but apparently they cannot appear in the chamber of the Commons so he won’t be there to be grilled by our MPs?

Merpedy

VIP Member
Does this Rwanda Bill actually mean anything in practice?

From what I’m reading no one seems to expect it to do anything notable and legal academics are predicting that at most it would mean that challenges would still be mounted on grounds other than Rwanda being a dangerous country

monga

VIP Member
It is much easier to keep the stock you have already and not sell it off than build more. It should never have been sold in the first place and due to that tory policy we're now playing catch up.
How long do people get to stay in those houses? are they passed through generations ? Or is there a time limit on tenancy?

veevee04

VIP Member
To be honest I think we are due a change the country is going to shit but first of all they need to do a long term growth plan cross party covering say the next 25 years. All this 4-5 year cycles doesn't sort anything out.
We have an ageing population, the nhs is falling apart highest tax burden since World War 2. We need to start innovating again not just banking on house prices rising. There will be no public services if the government doesn't take it weeiouwlt.

Merpedy

VIP Member
There's a lot of emphasis on "some" from the BBC
The Labour party is exploring whether some asylum seekers could have their claims processed before reaching the UK, to discourage some of them from making the journey across the Channel.

Multiple senior sources have told the BBC that shadow ministers and officials have been discussing this as part of a mix of measures to tackle crossings. However, no detailed plans have yet been drawn up.
It doesn't sound that different from the re-settlement schemes we have/have had for some groups... and we know how well those went. It would be interesting to see if we would have less Afghans making the journey if the scheme was open to more of them and actually functioned well

monga

VIP Member
Yes it's what you post in place of expressing an opinion in your own words usually without having read, understood or bothering to verify. That's how you end up 'accidentally' posting screenshots of posts by Nazis like Mark Collett.
---

The problem for some potential Tory voters (as expressed by at least one poster on this site) is that the current crop just aren't right wing enough.
I didn’t accidentally post anything 🙄 it was posted as an example, but as usual you only dropped in to grab the wrong end of the stick and didn’t read the thread….I don’t get to vote in Westminster elections 😂 unless it’s someone else you’ve got on your petty hit list.

monga

VIP Member
He returned as a British citizen. In the facts at the beginning of the judgement it’s suggested strongly that he thought he was safer as a British citizen. The government also considered whether that was the case in their assessment on removing his citizenship

When he applied for some type of visa equivalent in Sudan after his citizenship was removed, he didn’t tell his new lawyer that his British citizenship had been removed too

The facts of the case are within the first few pages (fairly short paragraphs) of the judgement link I posted earlier. Worth a read
His whole case was based around persecution in the country he willingly returned to, as was his appeal, doesn’t make a lot of sense to return to a country where death/ torture awaits.

Moth

VIP Member
By your account this is lies? …Despite security services still classing him a threat in December 2023.View attachment 2663924
Lies? Why would you say that? The information in the first paragraph of your screenshot is essentially no different to what I have said in a number of posts.

If anything is a lie is your suggestion of "the security services still classing him as a threat in December 2023". The screenshot does not say that at all. Also the SIAC Tribunal judgment (i.e the court documents that the MoS 'obtained' - because they are available to everyone online) specifically says that do not have "any current national security assessment".

Moth

VIP Member
That’s three lines more than you then , have you figured out what a screenshot is yet?
Yes it's what you post in place of expressing an opinion in your own words usually without having read, understood or bothering to verify. That's how you end up 'accidentally' posting screenshots of posts by Nazis like Mark Collett.
---
I mean that Starmer clip isn't great but the alternative is Sunak overseeing another five years of the most inept goverment in recent memory presiding over naked corruption. I am not a great fan of Starmer or that particular brand of Labour but I think even the more sane Tories know a change is needed, not just for the country but they can flush out the deadwood and grow more political talent instead of promoting literal morons to the cabinet because there's no-one left.
The problem for some potential Tory voters (as expressed by at least one poster on this site) is that the current crop just aren't right wing enough.