Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

wiglay

@Milliemoo99 I totally agree with you but that’s a huge overhaul of education you’re talking about whereas streaming would be a start. For example at the comp near me, they did do streaming and if you were in lower sets for things like science and maths you had the option to only do one or two science GCSEs and could take the lower level maths paper. At my grammar we had to take triple science and nobody in any set was allowed to do the lower paper for any GCSE subject. I think this would at least help those who aren’t as ‘academic’ because I imagine doing all the A* level content is very stressful when you’re not exam inclined. But I would also be hugely in favour of bringing more technical/vocational subjects into the curriculum from a lower age and courses like BTECs that I believe don’t have exams at all should be offered too.

Reactions: 1

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Rayner and Mordaunt are embarrassing tonight, Carla the Green has done well so far, Flynn is coherent & has done ok here, Daisy Cooper meh, Fartage is Fartage.

Bungalo

If anyone still isn’t convinced that Nigel Farage isn’t a nasty racist and misogynist scumbag, this might help make up your mind

Do we all know that Starmer is going to tax pensions? Pensions are already taxed as more and more pensioners are moving into the tax bracket thanks to the Tory freezing of the tax bands.
You are referring to the taxing of pension incom, indeed this has always been taxable income should somebody have used up their personal allowance.

I believe that people are referring to taxing people’s pension pots as they are accumulating through one’s working life.

kev1974

VIP Member
If he's positioned Reform as the main opposition to Labour surely we would be focusing on them rather than Tories?

Farage loves making things about him and getting all the attention but hates it when what he actually says is scrutinised.
Only if we think he is actually in with the remotest chance of that coming true.

From what I've seen of Tice's rabble of candidates, it's not going to happen. Not this time around anyway. Maybe this election is just to establish their name and they'll be back with better candidates next time.

Merpedy

VIP Member
I know I'm not the only one thinking "well why didn't you do any of this in the last 14 years?" or "you didn't do it in the last 14 years so why should I believe you'll do it in the next five?"

For instance just taking the ULEZ expansion one, if you can now end it so easily, why did you sit back and let that happen at all? Was it purely so that, come the election, you could try to use it as a stick to beat Labour/Khan?

View attachment 2987449
what rights do veterans not have or have but aren’t in law? This seems like a slightly pointless policy

these fairer welfare systems always end in a disaster for people who actually need help

bluefoot

Labour have so much as not even mentioned people with disbailities and illnesses in their manifesto from what I can see.

I do fear we are just in for the Tories in another colour if Labour get in.

Nobody gives two shits about anyone vulnerable. Well, maybe the Greens. They at least mention us.
What is it you’d like them to have said/what have the greens said they would do?

RaveChampion

Chatty Member
Theres a 90 minute effort on BBC1 Friday 7.30 with 7 panellists apparently.
I'll give it a go if able. My masochistic tendencies are clearly still in play.

HelloStereo

VIP Member
If you mean the housing - new builds are notoriously badly built and aren’t built to last. There was an estate recently that had to be demolished completely because of faulty foundations. Others have problems with sewage etc with means extra building work needed to fix. The vast majority of new builds use K Render which develops red streaks after a few years caused by algae. To get rid of this you need to clean it which often involves using chemicals, again not environmentally friendly. Estates often aren’t built in the right location and cause problems with extra traffic and flooding.
But then what is the alternative? To only wait and build houses when you can be 100% sure they will last centuries? If they're really rejecting house building because of its green (or lack of) credentials, why do they reject plans for more renewable energy sources:

The Green Party politicians who oppose solar farms - BBC News

Which is partly my point, their policies seem incredibly contradictory and unworkable in practise.

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
Don't know why they gave the greedy junior doctor airtime. Hope Rishi Sunak gets just a good a grilling as Keir Starmer

Don'tlookEthel

I'm actually not a lover of extending the school day by padding out with breakfast clubs and whatnot. IMO kids are in school for too long a day as it is.

I have no idea what the solution is as so many factors feed into it - including that, sadly, for many children, school is a safer and warmer place than home - but I don't like the necessity of wraparound care, put it that way.
Kids mental health is in decline, perhaps because they have long days and only see their parents for 90 minutes a day?

Multi-21

VIP Member
We’ve had a conservative and Lib Dem leaflet. Lots of Tory boards up on a piece of farmland along the main road as well