UEFA EURO 2021 #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We're an Arsenal household too, so know exactly what you mean. He's done so well, such a shame for him that he's not only now dealing with the disappointment of a missed penalty/ losing the final but the horrendous online racist abuse. Poor kid.
Family of Spurs fans here - We stand with Saka. Racism has no place in football. We're with you kid ❤

Reactions: 5
I can't believe the racism after the match it's disgusting 💔 I just don't understand how people can write those things 😓

• Sad
Reactions: 2
After every domestic league game in the Premier League, there is abuse flying around on Twitter. You see it all the time from opposition fans or sometimes team's own fans if they lose.

There are pockets of fans who racially abuse and send death threats to players, but it isn't in the news as it happens so much it's almost impossible to monitor.

There was a lad from Singapore who was recently caught on twitter sending death threats to the Brighton player, Neal Maupay, after a game. I don't know what goes through people's minds. It is a bleeping sport, it's not serious FFS.

It happened to Morata for Spain in the Euros too. Some people feel it's okay to abuse and send threats to players and their families all because they miss a shot or the team doesn't win.

It is utterly pathetic. Really bleeping sad in fact. Imagine your life being so empty that a sport is a matter of life or death to you and must win at all costs, and when you don't you abuse the players.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Pathetic is right. There should be heavy fines/jail for people who send death threats plus a lifetime social media ban.

Reactions: 4
The Jorginho tackle should have been a red. I've seen reds given for similar tackles. Tackles like that with studs showingare generally considered a red card offence I believe.
Ethan Ampadu got a straight red card for Wales against Italy for something that many agreed was harsh and more deserving of a yellow. It was basically a high step on the opponent’s foot so part of Ampadu’s boot was on the Italian players lower leg. I don’t think it was intentional on his part and with a caution it would not happen again.

The referring was inconsistent to say the least this tournament. On the feed I watched the commentators kept saying refs are told to let things play out because it’s a final. I don’t think that’s fair at all. Only the teams who made it to the final get a free pass for fouls because it’s the “big game”.

Reactions: 4
I know it's soon after the final, but this is really reactionary. Do you think Stones or Maguire haven't pulled back a quick forward who has gone past them? Declan Rice pulled down Goretzka against Germany for example and got a yellow card. It's a normal thing in football. Harry Maguire got away with one against Chelsea earlier in the season that actually led to a change in the VAR rules. Do you think an English player hasn't mistimed a challenge and gone over the ball? You're talking fractions of a second with the Jorginho one between him cleanly winning the ball and a challenge that should have been a red card. We could be hear all day listing decisions that went for and against teams.

I think there's more obvious people to label as scum from the fallout of Sunday.

• Heart
The Jorginho tackle should have been a red. I've seen reds given for similar tackles. Tackles like that with studs showingare generally considered a red card offence I believe.
I thought it’s only a red if it was a clear goal scoring opportunity which it obviously wasn’t? Sterling’s blatant dive against Denmark got them a penalty even though all the replays showed there was zero contact. In his interviews after the match he couldn’t even look the reporter in the eye when they asked him about it, he saw an opportunity to over play it and it worked. An English fan then pointed a laser into Kasper Schmichael’s eyes when the penalty was being taken 🤷🏼‍♀️
England were beaten by the better side on Sunday, I’m sure it stings but they weren’t robbed, they were beaten fair and square.

I thought it’s only a red if it was a clear goal scoring opportunity which it obviously wasn’t?
That's Chiellini's pull back. Jorginho probably could have got a red card, but those ones can go either way really. If he got a red card, others would say that viewing it in slow motion makes it appear worse. There were a few in the Premier League this season that are similar that went either way. He was going for the ball but his timing was a bit off. I think that he went for and got the ball is what saved him. But if it was red I wouldn't argue against it either.

The Chiellini foul happens 10 times every weekend. No idea what people are saying he is scum over something like that. It's a yellow card and the game carries on.

I think it's pretty evident from a lot of comments and reactions (not only on here, and not singling anyone out) that a huge number of 'fans' only watch tournament football, and even then only when their team is playing so don't really appreciate the ins and outs of getting results and colouring as close to the lines as possible.

Some of the greatest players and teams in the world, not only in football, know how to push and play the rules to their advantage. It's part of sport.

Reactions: 8
That's Chiellini's pull back. Jorginho probably could have got a red card, but those ones can go either way really. If he got a red card, others would say that viewing it in slow motion makes it appear worse. There were a few in the Premier League this season that are similar that went either way. He was going for the ball but his timing was a bit off. I think that he went for and got the ball is what saved him. But if it was red I wouldn't argue against it either.

The Chiellini foul happens 10 times every weekend. No idea what people are saying he is scum over something like that. It's a yellow card and the game carries on.
Oh sorry I’m getting names mixed up. Yeah look it happens, would there be the same level of discontent if an Italian player had been fouled in the same way or if England had gone on to win? Probably not. I still think Italy were the better team, I actually think England scoring so early on might’ve disadvantaged them to an extent, I felt like they lost their way a bit.

I think it's pretty evident from a lot of comments and reactions (not only on here, and not singling anyone out) that a huge number of 'fans' only watch tournament football, and even then only when their team is playing so don't really appreciate the ins and outs of getting results and colouring as close to the lines as possible.

Some of the greatest players and teams in the world, not only in football, know how to push and play the rules to their advantage. It's part of sport.
Would agree with this 100%. Football is a physical game. Ive seen a lot of people use the word 'dirty' this tournament to describe game play from several teams, not just Italy and I have to be honest. I really havent seen it. 6 red cards the whole tournament isnt too bad.

If I was a manager and at 20 seconds to go until ET and a draw Id be ok with my player doing a bit of shirt pulling 🙈

Sterling dived in the Denmark game which resulted in a penalty which wasnt a penalty and he knew it. Its cheating also 🤷‍♀️

Chilleni was not a red, Jorghino is a potential red but it depends what the ref sees. I feel the angle of the photo being used makes it look worse but when I watched it real time I felt the yellow was fair.

Ive seen a lot of people use the word 'dirty' this tournament to describe game play from several teams, not just Italy and I have to be honest. I really havent seen it. 6 red cards the whole tournament isnt too bad.
They clearly missed out on Portugal v Netherlands in 2006 😂

Works both ways though doesn't it. When Sterling was awarded the pen people were saying he was "cheat" but as you said he knows how to play the game. But then they're quick to defend Jorginho by saying perhaps the ref didn't have a proper look. And England fans complain the other way.

Works both ways though doesn't it. When Sterling was awarded the pen people were saying he was "cheat" but as you said he knows how to play the game. But then they're quick to defend Jorginho by saying perhaps the ref didn't have a proper look. And England fans complain the other way.
I didn't mention any one team or nationality for that reason.

If the game had gone the other way and I was on an Italian forum I'm sure I'd see similar posts regarding being dirty etc. and I'd have the same response.

I'm not condoning 'cheating'. It would be great if people weren't being pulled back cynically, diving or doing anything else that's deemed controversial. Obviously I get frustrated about it if my team is on the receiving end of it, but I understand it.

I didn't mention any one team or nationality for that reason.

If the game had gone the other way and I was on an Italian forum I'm sure I'd see similar posts regarding being dirty etc. and I'd have the same response.

I'm not condoning 'cheating'. It would be great if people weren't being pulled back cynically, diving or doing anything else that's deemed controversial. Obviously I get frustrated about it if my team is on the receiving end of it, but I understand it.
Yes it's what I mean, people only really consider it cheating if it goes against their team, if a player for their team does the same they make excuses.
Always happens in any sport 😅

I thought it’s only a red if it was a clear goal scoring opportunity which it obviously wasn’t? Sterling’s blatant dive against Denmark got them a penalty even though all the replays showed there was zero contact. In his interviews after the match he couldn’t even look the reporter in the eye when they asked him about it, he saw an opportunity to over play it and it worked. An English fan then pointed a laser into Kasper Schmichael’s eyes when the penalty was being taken 🤷🏼‍♀️
England were beaten by the better side on Sunday, I’m sure it stings but they weren’t robbed, they were beaten fair and square.
No it doesn't need to be a scoring opportunity to be a red card. If the tackle is dangerous enough to seriously injure a player, it should be a red. There was a similar challenge in the Euros, but less worse, and the Switzerland player was sent off for the challenge. The consistency is terrible. I don't think the sterling penalty was bad, it was soft, but there was contact. Running at the speed Sterling was, any little contact can put a player off balance, so it wasn't as clear cut as definitely not a penalty. I think in the Denmark game England did more than enough to win the game outright, but against Italy they didn't, so the better team won the trophy.

I think football shirts should be in two halves held together with velcro. That would limit shirt pulling offences and likely bring in a new set of fans 😂

• Haha
  • Heart