Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
Even if he wanted to take a penalty and was allowed he should never have been the final penalty. You have 2 of your most experienced players who are both captains of the clubs and they go first and second? What’s Kane playing at allowing that and not offering to go last as the captain?
I can see it both ways, Kane going first as our best penalty taker can show strength. Also what if the Italians didn’t do as well/Pickford saved more, surely it’s better to have the best takers first as it might mean the penalty shootout is over before the later takers need to take one. I don’t agree that he should’ve been last with his age and the pressure but I also believe the best takers should go first.

Wanted to add I’m assuming they decided who would take penalties before hand, seeing as some of the players who took them had just come on. Sterling getting abuse for not taking one, it’s not like he has a good record of taking penalties and without him we wouldn’t have even got to the final.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6

Columbo

VIP Member
Appalling. How can people reasonably blame Rashford? What about the 120 minutes that were played without him? If England were the far superior team it never would’ve gone as far as penalties in the first place, those three penalty takers are being made scapegoats. As for the racist shit on Twitter, not only is it vile but incredibly stupid, are the saying they would’ve scored if they were white? Dopes the lot of them, the real supporters support the team win, lose or draw.

monga

VIP Member
I've no idea. My favourite sports are MMA and boxing. There's arguably more respect in that sport than football, even among the fans tbh. These are sports where the competitors are trying to knock each other out and cause physical harm to one another too. Many people would call those sports barbaric, but fighting has been going on for thousands of years.
What about McGregors broken ankle 😬

The Irish wouldn’t rub it in but 🤭
779A9D6A-A167-4487-9EF1-DD828D69BA7C.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha

monga

VIP Member
Never seen such a dirty team, absolutely horrible! Agree, I’m proud of Gareth and the lads, they did so well and should be proud of themselves. I think they’ve got a bright future this young team 🥰
Booo!! Booo !! football's going to Rome 🎶😂

• Haha
  • Sick
  • Heart

Tippingpoint23

VIP Member
In contrast to the horrible racism on Twitter everything I’ve seen on tiktok has been an absolute bundle of love and respect for the whole team and people just saying how proud they are. I hope they can see the good among the bad.

monga

VIP Member
I have so much respect for Marcus Rashford so I’m gutted for him but delighted for Italy. The commentary here in Ireland is saying it was unfair to put Rashford on for the last 2 mins and then expect him to take a penalty. Alan Shearer was saying the same. Gonna have a pizza to celebrate 🇮🇹🤣
He should've played them from the beginning of extra time to build up a bit of adrenaline it takes the edge off the pressure...Ciao enjoy 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5

Merpedy

VIP Member
They did well with the overall pressure of the game but the pens were a bit too much I reckon

Rather unfortunate but it was a damn good game to watch

sephylily

VIP Member
Considering there are hundreds of videos of England fans singing about Scottish fans yesterday floating about the internet it works both ways unfortunately. It seems like theyre both living in each others heads rent free.

Imagine living in a Union, watching what is supposed to be 'unbias' TV and seeing a pundit say 'England should be putting 6 or 7 past them' the pundits are not humble at all and while watching a game thats nothing to do with England, theyre not playing they talk more about 1966 and what England are doing than the actual game youre trying to watch.

Fwiw I think the England team are all v likeable, Southgate comes across like a lovely guy. I do actually feel bad for them today, its a shit way to go out. Im a huge football fan and Id never support a rival, its like asking a Tottenham fan to support Arsenal in the FA Cup because 'we're both from London' absolutely ludicrous.
what do you expect when practically all of scotland have made it their absolute mission to support any of england's opponents no matter what? fgs the scots having england's opponent's flags up is the saddest thing i've seen in a long time. it's bitterness plain and simple. why the hell would they not talk about 1966? it's the last time england won, this is the closest they've come to winning something in a long time obviously they would mention it. the pundits don't represent the entirety of england and fwiw i never heard them say they should be putting 6 or 7 past them yesterday. also unbiased tv? you live in a union why would the union not support one of its members? it makes absolutely no sense to say they should be neutral just because scotland didn't get to the final. if you supported anybody but england because you didn't want them to win then i think you're a sad git.

• Haha

IrishMeeja

Chatty Member
I know it's soon after the final, but this is really reactionary. Do you think Stones or Maguire haven't pulled back a quick forward who has gone past them? Declan Rice pulled down Goretzka against Germany for example and got a yellow card. It's a normal thing in football. Harry Maguire got away with one against Chelsea earlier in the season that actually led to a change in the VAR rules. Do you think an English player hasn't mistimed a challenge and gone over the ball? You're talking fractions of a second with the Jorginho one between him cleanly winning the ball and a challenge that should have been a red card. We could be hear all day listing decisions that went for and against teams.

I think there's more obvious people to label as scum from the fallout of Sunday.

• Heart

Tea_Time_12

To be honest with you, football claims it's a respectful sport, but it really isn't all that respectful. The cheating, diving, biting, crowding of the referee and shouting at him, the list goes on.

I can point to a myriad of incidents on the pitch which show there's little respect in football. That's why it's laughable that people say it's disrespectful to boo an anthem, yet turn a blind eye to the crap that goes on during matches.

Racism incidents on field, Suarez biting incidents, PSG players throwing a wobbly in the CL and getting sent off, Diego Costa spitting at another player, an Italian player disrespecting Zidanes mother, then Zidane lashing out with a headbutt. Ronaldo winking at Rooney when he got sent off etc. Some of the worse goes on in Latin America too. Watch those matches and you'll be surprised.
I can't stand the diving and crowding of the referee. It has gotten completely out of hand. Complete opposite in rugby where the ref is respected full stop. I was watching a Six Nations game, may have been England actually, the captain wanted to say something to the ref but the ref shut him down immediately. Something about he already explained the situation and it wasn't up for further discussion. I just watched on in awe. I also like that only the captains can speak to the referee. That would never happen in football because it would take up too much time but VAR reviews are ok :mad:

jarv

VIP Member
It can make or break you .Think what he stood to gain if he had of hit the back of the net 🤩 maybe that came into play 🤷🏼‍♀️
Yeah absolutely, it was a risk and if it had paid off my god that kid would have been a hero. It's just such a big weight to carry when you're inexperienced. I'm not disappointed or anything like that I just wonder if it was the right call from Southgate

at88

Yet to see any racial abuse myself but seeing a lot of articles about how racism has happened. Is the media stirring the pot and trying to cause anger between different races??

Unfortunately there probably is a minority of the fans that are racist but I do hope we aren’t all painted with the same brush as I’ve seen nothing but love for all the players equally, no matter their colour.