Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I think football shirts should be in two halves held together with velcro. That would limit shirt pulling offences and likely bring in a new set of fans 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Yet to see any racial abuse myself but seeing a lot of articles about how racism has happened. Is the media stirring the pot and trying to cause anger between different races??

Unfortunately there probably is a minority of the fans that are racist but I do hope we aren’t all painted with the same brush as I’ve seen nothing but love for all the players equally, no matter their colour.
You won’t see it unless you see a screenshot as they’ve been removed overnight by Twitter/FB etc.

I didn’t look for it so haven’t seen it but it’s there.

My husband saw a screenshot that was hideous. I didn’t look but from what he told me it was disgusting. The morons responsible should get lifetime bans from social media.

Skyeball

Chatty Member
I can't chill out here. I'm going to have a heart attack or something.
My family are Spurs fans, we know that 1-0 at half time isn't a guarantee 🙈

• Haha

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Thank goodness we only do this every 55 years.we are here and i am not sure my son is going to survive this. Awful.

• Heart

Skyeball

Chatty Member
We're an Arsenal household too, so know exactly what you mean. He's done so well, such a shame for him that he's not only now dealing with the disappointment of a missed penalty/ losing the final but the horrendous online racist abuse. Poor kid.
Family of Spurs fans here - We stand with Saka. Racism has no place in football. We're with you kid ❤

Merpedy

VIP Member
Heard my neighbour just give her kid a day off school

England better win for that kid's sake 😬

• Haha

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
We don’t deserve to win with such scum bag fans
I am not sure I'd believe all of them sending him abuse are english. They are also likely to be rival fans of man utd mocking him. A lot of that abuse comes from foreign fans too simply because he plays for a rival club.

This is the shameful thing about social media, the profiles are not tracked down so no real way to know who or where it's coming from. They recently tracked down a lad from Singapore who abused a Brighton player a few months back.

It is easy to put a meme up and abuse a player, happens all the time. I see it all the time during the footballing season. Twitter should ask for proof of ID, including name, address etc for checks, otherwise it will never be tracked down.

Tea_Time_12

I’m not an England fan but I am an Arsenal fan. I felt like a proud parent watching Saka this tournament. I always have a soft spot for the youth players turned professional and Saka has been at the club since he was 7. We know how difficult it is to make the grade in football especially with your youth club.

I’m looking forward to the start of club football. I’m glad we don’t have to wait too long. The Olympics and rugby can hold us over until then. Roll on this summer of sports.

• Heart

bubbadabut

VIP Member
Don’t hate me but I am a bit disappointed in Gareth Southgate’s management during the final to be honest. Bringing players on in the dying seconds just to take a penalty without even giving them a chance to play and get a feel for the game and run off some nerves very rarely works out well. And funnily enough both Rashford and Sancho missed and don’t get me started on poor Saka. Southgate said he made the choice in regards to who take the penalties. The blame lies solely on his shoulders for that. It just wasn’t the game to be taking such silly risks and putting so much unnecessary pressure on players. They should have been brought on much earlier, they were stood waiting at the side lines for ages. Grealish should have been brought on earlier too, Henderson was a pointless sub to make, we just left everything too late and didn’t try to get the ball off of Italy at times.

That’s not to discredit all Southgate’s work during the tournament but I hope he works on his in game decision making before the World Cup because it was so frustrating to see such a shoddy performance at certain points in the game. At one point during the second half we had only 21% possession ffs it’s just ludicrous compared to what those players are capable of and what we have seen them do.

Hopefully we can do the same at the World Cup but this time win it instead❤🤍❤🤍
This, 100%. We were clearly on top for the first 40 minutes. Italy changed it up and continued to do so after the break, but we didn't do anything about it until whenever Grealish came on, at 75 minutes? We should have made changes MUCH sooner than we actually did. We couldn't get the ball for the majority of the second half. It seemed like Southgate was waiting for something, but what?

I thought the ref was very fair, and if anything seemed like he favoured us, so no complaints there.

Italy were on top for more of the game, had the better chances, and Pickford kept us in it. We did not respond quickly enough to their changes, we had tons of fresh legs on the bench, but left it too late. Bringing two players on cold for the penalties makes no sense, especially when you can make is it 5 subs these days?

Anyway, the better team won so I don't feel too bitter about it. The agony continues...

Last edited:

Tippingpoint23

VIP Member
Seeing the players with their kids/nephews has been so sweet to see - must have been so nice for them to be able to see them even if we lost.

Reactions: 4

Lalla

VIP Member
Are you meaning you don't see that sort of thing happening in the Premier League? The style of refereeing on the continent (and this Euros) is different to England, they allow a more flowing game so relatively 'innocuous' things fly, whereas in England if you dare to look at someone the wrong way you're pulled up for it which makes play completely fragmented at times.
Yes you're right, I'm probably thinking of English League games more than internationals, we do ref a lot differently. Some of the Italian tackles did seem harsh, that said we got a penalty in the semis we possibly shouldn't have so on balance it all evens out.

Agree that Sterling and Grealish can't be criticized for not taking a penalty - what were they going to do, elbow Rashford, Sancho and Saka aside?! It was clearly the manager's decision, and Southgate got it wrong.

Actually feel for Grealish, wanting to take a penalty and not being allowed (or being lower down the order) is so frustrating; completely different situation of course but when my son used to play football as a kid, one of his tournaments went to penalties, he begged the manager to be able to take one (literally the only kid on the pitch who WANTED to take a penalty), he refused and ultimately son's team lost. It's more than 10 years ago and he's still miffed about it :)

Last edited:

Skyeball

Chatty Member
Had Chinese 20 mins before kick off and still stuffed from that so no snacks needed here.

Absolutely buzzing. One half down.
We had dominos. My newest football supporter child made me say the Lords Prayer and touch the coffee table every second bite (because it's wooden) 😂

• Haha