Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

String Man

VIP Member
I have nothing compared to the previous stories!

I used to live in a Victorian maisonette and there were lots of things that went on that were a bit odd.

Lights would switch themselves on and off, the kettle would switch itself on, we would hear footsteps or furniture moving upstairs when we knew nobody was up there, cupboard doors would open (or close) by themselves etc. Sometimes there would suddenly be a very strong smell of either lavender or cloves in the room.

Nothing really major but I never liked being alone in the place to be honest, gave me the creeps.
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Reactions: 21

lycheemartini

VIP Member
Not a typical ghost story, but I have to share mine.
We had a family dog that we had since I was 9, and unfortunately when I was about 23 (so he was about 14), we had to put him down.
We also had another dog at the time.
Anyway a few nights after we had to put our old dog to sleep, I was in my room reading with the door closed. I heard our other dog outside my bedroom door chewing one of her dog chew things. I opened the door to let her in, only to find her curled up in my mum’s room asleep.
I told my mum about it the next morning and said I think it was our dog we put to sleep. She said it was probably just in my mind. But 100% I believe it was him.. I was reading and engrossed in my book so I wasn’t thinking about either of the dogs. It brought be comfort to know he was there with us, even if my mum was skeptical!
 
  • Heart
  • Like
Reactions: 21

Wishwash

Active member
I just have a small story to add. After my second child was born I was really poorly and in ITU. It was kind of a near death experience but I had fast acting doctors and have made a complete recovery. A while after baby was born I was discharged home to my parents house for a bit if support and TLC and they had been looking after first child.

My dad recorded on his phone me bringing baby two into meet baby one and it was evening so dark outside. The video is so strange, there are lots of orbs, small ones,around me and they whizz around the room and in front of the camera. Some hover around my head and whizz around as I hug my older baby, others are stationary and then flick about

What's more weird as when I was really unwell I distinctly remember before it went totally Haywire a really loud voice in my head saying "just keep breathing now and don't stop" but it wasn't said into my ear as it was before how poorly I was had been picked up. It was familiar but I can't place it. Saw the light and everything after but a tonne of adrenaline and CPR got me back. Family and friends are convinced the orbs are angels, sometimes I just think my mums house needs a good dust 🤦
 
  • Heart
  • Like
Reactions: 21

cat1312

Well-known member
So have recently moved back to England after a long time abroad. Moved into the flat that my husband bought before we met. The building is a grade 2 listed building which was an old stately home and has been converted into flats with a few houses added on to the grounds. I have some history of the building and some of the owners, but I can’t find when it was actually built. All I know so far is that it definitely goes back to at least the 11th century.
The first night we got back to England, I woke in the middle of the night and heard exactly 3 footsteps right outside our bedroom door, stopping at the door. The floor isn’t even so you can hear where the carpet dips when you step on it.
After this I spent a few weeks at home alone while my husband was away for work. I’m scared to sleep alone as I definitely have a feeling of some sort of presence there! So I tied some fairy lights to the bed head and fell asleep with them on the first night I was alone. Woke up around 3am and the lights had gone off, I assumed the battery may have gone even though they were brand new batteries. Woke up in the morning and remembered, so had a little check, and the lights were fully switched to the off position.
I’ve since been round the place with sage spray and the door wide open and have taken to saying hello house every time I come home 😂 if it’s a friendly ghost I don’t mind, I’d just rather not anything evil after my experiences of my childhood home!
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Reactions: 21

MooBelle

VIP Member
Just found this thread and I'm loving it!!! I have plenty of incidents, here are a few...

When I was a teenager (80s)my Uncle was in the army and stationed in Germany. We often used to visit and as my cousin is same age as me we spent a lot of time together. One night we snuck out of her window and met up with her friends in the park. Nothing too naughty, just normal teenagers passing a can of beer and sharing a cigarette! The playground bit was locked but one of the swings started swinging and we dared each other to check it out. There was a little girl, probably about 3 or 4 on the swing. She was wearing button up pyjamas, but the bottoms were shorts. We just assumed it was a kid who'd got out ti go to the park. She started speaking, but in German, all of us were English so no one understood what she said. She then got off the swing and walked into the dark. We all were completely freaked out and went home. As we were leaving the German part of town (just before we got back on the base) there was a row of 1960s style flats and the little girl was standing outside. We didn't tell anyone because we would have been punished for sneaking out.
A couple of years ago, at a wedding, my cousin and I were chatting about our childhood and mentioned the incident. My aunt (her stepmum) went really pale and eventually said that a little girl had been killed in those flats by her mother's boyfriend the year before they'd moved to Germany. She'd been asleep in bed and he'd smothered her. I still can't see 'shorty PJs' without thinking of that little girl


I have more but need to do lunch!!
 
  • Like
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 21

April773

Active member
I've contributed here before with my stories about the council estate I grew up on, but I have some other stories that happened elsewhere. Years ago when I was with going out with my ex, his nan died very suddenly. She was only 70 and in good health but had a very sudden stroke. On the day of the funeral, me, his mum, her sister, and his brothers girlfriend all went back to his nans house. The boys all went to the pub lol, anyway me and the girls were sitting in the living room chatting about the day and obviously memories of his nan, when we heard a huge thump coming from upstairs. My boyfriends mum went upstairs to his nans bedroom and found a framed photograph on the floor that had fallen down. I remember her saying "She's here." I think she meant it in a comforting way, but I remember being terrified lol

Another experience I have revolves around my time working at a cinema. It was a shit job, with shit wages and even shittier customers but I loved it. Probably one of the best times of my life. We had a very close knit group there of friends and one guy in particular I was really close to. Sadly he was killed aged 20 in a road accident. I was devastated, we all were. After he died though strange things happened very late at night when we were closing down/cleaning up. I remember one occasion on the 3rd floor when I went to press the button on the lift, but as I put my finger out the button pressed on its on and lit up, the lift was called from elsewhere but I was the only person on the main building. Everyone else was in the staff room. Another time the lights all started flickering on the foyyer, and heavy doors would slam shut on their own. Probably the weirdest experience was after I finished a shift at like 3am, and was back at home, chilling on my bed (I was a night owl then and never slept) listening to music when suddenly I felt a breath go across my face. The best way to describe it was as if you're opening a really old, heavy chest lid and there's like a gust of soft air that comes out. It felt exactly like that. I don't remember being scared weirdly enough, but I did automatically think of my friend. He was the kindest soul and would never have wanted to scare me.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 21

HalloweenJack74

Active member
I can't sleep right now and this gave me a shiver through my body 😬

When my mum was about 3 or 4 her dad was visiting a friend. They were all farmers and this friend lived In a thatched cottage.
Very old etc
As my mum was playing on her own looking at the floor she saw a pair of old fashioned boots (later in life knowing they were those old fashioned Victorian Lace up boots)
My mum was very frightened she knew ,even at that age that something wasn't right.
The feet in the boots moved and wiggled and my mum started to look up and there were a pair of legs. She was so scared she couldn't look further.
That has stayed with my mum as if it were yesterday. She was only able to tell the story in her 30s
Creepy right?

And this one is totally less scary. I had a dream once where i met 'myself' from somewhere else, and she told me I was her but from a different life, really odd. But she gave me some nice words and said i'd be back again and again, and that life goes on and on. And this life would improve. And it did get better!

Not a ghost story, but a spiritual experience i guess.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I’ve seen a ghost but telling the story doesn’t sound particularly scary. When I was about 11 I was upstairs in my bedroom. I went to go downstairs and when I walked out of my bedroom I saw something out of the corner of my eye, and saw a young lady aged around 20 with long blonde hair wearing a long white dress. She had one hand on the bannister along the landing, and was looking over it down the stairs. I must have gasped or made some sort of noise because she turned and looked at me, then disappeared.

Slightly off topic - I also occasionally suffer from sleep paralysis. It is the most terrifying thing you can experience. Basically when you’re asleep your brain wakes up but your body doesn’t, and you can’t move or speak no matter how hard you try. In reality it probably lasts seconds but it feels like minutes! A lot of the time when this happens I see or sense an evil presence. When I see it it’s a dark shadowy figure that enters the room and comes slowly towards me. One time it got that close to me that it lifted the bed sheets and started to get on to the bed, at that point I woke properly and was able to move and speak again. It’s absolutely awful! 😨
I have experienced sleep paralysis twice, very scary. I tried to scream at the person standing at the end of my bed but couldnt use my voice. Couldn't move. Such a scary moment. For me though Im convinced I was super tired rather than it being a supernatural thing.
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Reactions: 20

Wifo1976

VIP Member
I like to think this too. Our elderly cats passed away within 12 days of each other and shortly afterwards 2 robins started visiting us together, one fat and one small and thin - just like my two cats! Could be coincidence but we only ever saw one robin in all our time living here. The fat one sat on the lawnmower handle when my husband was mowing the grass - he was her favourite person 🥰

Weirdly I’ve had something similar happen to me recently with butterflies. It’s not related to a death but the last two times I’ve seen them they’ve followed me. One came in my hallway and I had to walk back out the front door for it to fly away. The next time was at the weekend when it followed me on a walk for at least 2 minutes.

Often people say that white feathers are a sign. I wonder if wildlife is too?
 
  • Heart
  • Like
Reactions: 20

Columbo

VIP Member
Just remembered I have another one! We moved into a rental property for 6 months when I was younger, and my bedroom had this weird built in cupboard that started like 3 foot off the ground? So it just had a door like half way up the wall. My mum came into my room one night because I was screaming and apparently I was backed right up to the wall just looking in horror at the cupboard, and the door to it was wide open - we always made sure it was closed and it was an old house so it was a bit of an effort to open it, it wouldn’t have just opened because of a draft or something.

I don’t remember this event at all but it had quite an effect on my mum and we moved out of that place after 6 months.

Should also note that due to my job, I’m around dead bodies quite a lot. In fact, on super busy days, I used to go and eat my lunch in the mortuary just for some peace and quiet, whilst I was filling out my death certificate/cremation forms paperwork. So absolutely not spooked by death, and I have a very science-proved-only view of the world. But I do believe that there’s some kind of level of paranormal around and I find it so interesting.
I'm reading this thread with interest. So many people have had so many different experiences with ghosts and spirits that for me it confirms life after death and gives me hope that Heaven really does exist and we'll get to see the people we love again. I know I should be spooked reading these stories but they're strangely comforting to me 🙈
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Something completely surreal happened to me yesterday actually - and my mum was there so we both saw it happen! A very close member of our family passed away quite unexpectedly over a week ago and over the past few days we have been trying to track down her will as she never told anyone where she had put it in her house, nor who the executor was.

Genuinely we must have scaled her house top to bottom by the point this happened but my mum and I were both in the study sorting through paper work. I was sorting out some stuff that was on top of a small wardrobe type cupboard, and I was saying to my mum how frustrating it is that she kept her cards so close to her chest. Honestly, at that moment, the doors from the cupboard both opened, not forcefully or anything literally just opened fully (neither of us had been near it for a good 10 minutes) and low and behold there it was underneath some stationary and office bits. I was SO freaked out, it was literally as if she’d pointed us in the right direction.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 20

Rita Chevrolet

VIP Member
Not a typical ghost story, but I have to share mine.
We had a family dog that we had since I was 9, and unfortunately when I was about 23 (so he was about 14), we had to put him down.
We also had another dog at the time.
Anyway a few nights after we had to put our old dog to sleep, I was in my room reading with the door closed. I heard our other dog outside my bedroom door chewing one of her dog chew things. I opened the door to let her in, only to find her curled up in my mum’s room asleep.
I told my mum about it the next morning and said I think it was our dog we put to sleep. She said it was probably just in my mind. But 100% I believe it was him.. I was reading and engrossed in my book so I wasn’t thinking about either of the dogs. It brought be comfort to know he was there with us, even if my mum was skeptical!
A couple of months back we lost one of ours very suddenly due to a massive heart attack; The following night I heard him tip-tapping up the stairs to His Place on the landing where he always slept. He's still with us :)
 
  • Heart
  • Like
Reactions: 20

April773

Active member
My mother says she saw my grandmother clear as day around 3 months after she died. She told her that she was ok and no longer in pain and how she should stop grieving (my mother was finding it very hard after my gran died). My mother is almost embarrassed about it as she feels she’ll be mocked, but is insistent how real it all was.
I don't think anyone should mock someone for seeing a loved one. It provides comfort even if some don't think it's real.

I remember my mum calling me once to say that she just walked into the living room and smelt my nan. She had passed away about a year previously but my mum suddenly smelt her. Her perfume, face cream, just her overall smell.

She also had a vivid dream where she saw my grandad in the front garden of her childhood home. He was dressed in clothes he worn back in the 70s when my mum would have been a teenager. He came up to her and asked her if she was alright. This was about a year after his passing.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 20

1001 others

VIP Member
Often when I'm awake in the small wee hours I see shadows and lights out the corner of my eye (plus, occasionally get whiffs of cigarette smoke [we've lived here for many years and nobody smokes]) ... of course I go to look, but nothing is there.

I recently bought a ghost detector device as I was curious ... the activity that it constantly produces is at the maximum, and always in one part of the house. I'm not scared, and aside from looking curious at times, my pets aren't spooked either.
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Reactions: 20

wearedoomed

Chatty Member
I lost my Dad to cancer two years ago, he was at home when he went and we were all with him which was a blessing.

I stayed at my Mum's house for a few days afterwards and helped out with some chores including raking up leaves and bits from the garden into a bag.

One afternoon, we were sorting through some paperwork and I went out to the kitchen to make a brew. I found the back door open and the now empty bag of leaves with the contents of the bag carefully emptied in a neat row along the floor. Mum and I were in a separate room and there was no one else in the house. We were more confused than freaked out at first but my Mum said it was probably my Dad having a laugh.

We also found things moved around in the weeks afterwards but after the funeral it seemed to stop. I still have vivid dreams where I speak to my Dad, I miss him terribly and have been on antidepressants since he died.

I also heard our dog for a while after she died. I could hear her snuffling around in the bedroom where she used to sleep and heard what sounded like her padding around the house. I hope she's still around.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 20

Columbo

VIP Member
I think it's all a load of rubbish personally haha. I have had my mother die, both my grandmothers die, I have never experienced anything like ghosts or spirits. There are rarely things you can't entirely explain, but it's normally just mind and hearing playing tricks, paranoia etc. It wouldn't make any sense that people would become spirits or whatever. We literally rot in the ground if buried, or turn to ashes if cremated.
If we’re going to be logical about it,human beings are energy. Science says categorically that energy cannot die, you can change from one type of energy to another but you cannot destroy it so in scientific theory it makes perfect sense 😜
 
  • Like
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 20

DanaScully

Chatty Member
Another story I've just thought of which a family friend told me about.

She was in a taxi on her way to meet her husband for a drink in town and noticed the taxi driver kept looking at her in his rear view mirror. She said it was creeping her out and she felt really uncomfortable.
When they arrived the driver turned to her and apologised if he had worried her, but asked if she knew she had a man with her in spirit. The driver said he had a large birth mark on one side of his face. My friend said no, paid the fare and got out of the cab sharpish, thinking the driver was just a bit odd.

She didn't think any more of it, until a few weeks later she was in a café and a woman approached her and asked if she was aware there was a spirit with her. Again, the woman mentioned it was a man and that he had a birth mark on his face!

She was obviously totally freaked out by this point and spoke to her mum, who told her that there was an older relative who had died years back who had a large port wine stain on one side of his face! Her mum even had photos of him in an old family album.

My friend never knew this man so she's still unsure why he's stuck with her - maybe he's her guardian angel?
 
  • Like
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 20

honey&lemon

VIP Member
Not really ghost related but similar to what some other people have said.

My granny is 86 and we think is getting ready to ‘go’ if you know what I mean. She lost her husband very young and has never really got over it. She has always, and still does, tear up when she speaks of him. She also told us years ago that before her own mum died, she used to say her late husband would come and visit her, as if he was coming to bring her with him.

Then a few weeks ago my granny said she went out to her kitchen and noticed a man staring through the conservatory window at her. Just staring. She said she hid for a while but he stayed there for an hour or so. She said it looked like it was my grandad.

There have been a few occasions over the last few years when she’s nearly died from various things and we were sure she wouldn’t make it but always did. We think she’s been waiting for him. It’s probably all in her head, but maybe now she’s ready. It’s sad, but I know it will bring her comfort to think she’s going to be with him again.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 20

April773

Active member
I've contributed many times but I have so many stories, mine and other peoples that I wanted to spread them all out lol

About 12 or so years ago I was in a pub in South London, it was just a wetherspoons but I think a pretty old one. I don't know whether I'm allowed to name it, but can PM if anyone interested.

Anyway I was with my boyfriend at the time and I left him to go and use the toilet. As I went in it was one of those typical pub toilets that have a door which leads to a like a little hallway and then another door which takes you into the actual toilets. I walked in, and then came out to wash my hands, dried my hands, and then walked through the door and held it open for the person behind me. But there was no one there. The whole time I was in that toilet though, I was not alone, I could sense a presence of someone else in there. I was in my own little world, and didn't assume it was a ghost, just another customer. I even saw a shadow of someone next to the doors from the corner of my eye, it was only when I instinctively held the door open after walking through I realised there was no one else there all along. This story is hard to explain I know, and no I wasn't drunk haha but all I can say is that I knew I wasn't alone in those toilets. I was so certain of it I even held open the door. It was a very strange experience.



This story that happened to one of my best friends when she was around 4. She told me years and years ago and still talks about it now. It still haunts me and I'd suggest not reading this at night as I personally find this one as creepy as hell. When she was at nursery school her and friends were taken to a park round the corner for the afternoon, again this was in South London (again PM if you're interested in the park). Now just outside of the play area, there was an abandoned closed down railway line behind a fence. She looked down on the line in the distance and recalls seeing a strange, grey, jester like figure jumping up and down the tracks. But in a inhuman way, like one minute he would jump and he would be very close to where she was standing, and then another time he would jump again and be really far away down the track. After watching him for a moment, she then suddenly felt a train going past her, and heard it too. After that she ran back to join her classmates. Having been fascinated with the supernatural for years, I always loved hearing this story, and one day many many years later, she took me to the park. It was still exactly as she remembered, the only difference is is that the train line is now in use , and the fence to view it is all covered with brambles and bushes so its hard to see onto the tracks. (We did try in case the jester figure was still there Hahaha) We didn't see anything but the park does have a strange vibe. I can't explain it. There was one odd occurance when we were there, in that there was an old man in the park at the same time as us. We noticed him and then turned to do our usual looking down the tracks, when we turned around the man had gone. We looked in all directions as he literally would not have had enough time to vanish from sight but he really had. We checked all directions but he had gone.....

It could be our imagination because of my friends history with the park, maybe we try to make spooky things happen because we want to lol, but we both definitely saw that man. We still visit the park now, we call it spooky park, and we only visit it on miserable rainy days lol, it just suits the tone. (We are weirdos I fully admit.)
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 20

ChampagneBox

VIP Member
Not really a ghost story as such but after my grandads funeral I saw a dragonfly flying around the crematorium. I’m having a hard time emotionally the past few weeks and went to the dr yesterday and on my way home saw a dragonfly and it wasn’t near water or anything. Probably nothing but I always seem to see various animals when I’m feeling particularly sad
Again probably nothing but again feeling pretty low and saw another dragonfly, again away from water 🥺
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 20