Topshop Nostalgia

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oxford street has been fucked for years, parts of it look more like the ends than what’s meant to be a flagship retail street with global draw.

Tbh chicken shops and a BetFred would actually elevate Oxford street the state it’s in.

Reactions: 9
Oxford street has been fucked for years, parts of it look more like the ends than what’s meant to be a flagship retail street with global draw.

Tbh chicken shops and a BetFred would actually elevate Oxford street the state it’s in.
Oxford street is depressing AF, even before the pandemic it was just dirty and full of cheap shops, I think when people (from outside Lodon) think about it are of london they are thinking of Regent street, which is totally different.

at least chicken shops would be paying taxes not like those awful US candy shops

Reactions: 7
Fenwick Oxford street is closing - not that I’ve ever been in it 😳

Can’t say I’m surprised but interested to know this thread’s thoughts!
Did you mean Bond St? I went in there for a wee the other day- the loos were plentiful, clean and deserted! It was heaven after a half hour wait for a loo earlier in the day in Selfridges.

Oxford St is very hit and miss these days. Selfridges is fab, and I still love JL, but those bleeping money laundering american candy stores can duck off. I read an article the other day saying that the police can’t get to the bottom of who owns them. Several have been shut down and fake sweets and chocolate bars seized.

• Wow
Did you mean Bond St? I went in there for a wee the other day- the loos were plentiful, clean and deserted! It was heaven after a half hour wait for a loo earlier in the day in Selfridges.
It’s being reported as on Oxford street, in all honesty I have no idea where it is as I’ve never been or wanted to…

Reactions: 2
It’s brook Street I think so just off Bond Street :) Maybe new Bond Street?

Reactions: 4
To be honest I always forget fenwicks exist away from their york and Newcastle branches. However they both exist in places where there’s little competition guess people in central London would probably chose liberty/selfridges/Harrods etc where as york only has a local store called browns (John Lewis closed) and Newcastle just has John Lewis (don’t really count house of frasier competition these days)

Reactions: 4
Ooh :) Phillip’s been done to death though so will have to be new revelations
To be honest though it’s mainly women who were toxic as heterosexual bully boy men tend to be making the decisions from ivory towers rather than being directly involved on the job and I wouldn’t want to tear down other women and make them look incapable for the media

Attachments

Reactions: 1

Oxford St is very hit and miss these days. Selfridges is fab, and I still love JL, but those bleeping money laundering american candy stores can duck off. I read an article the other day saying that the police can’t get to the bottom of who owns them. Several have been shut down and fake sweets and chocolate bars seized.
Yeh Oxford Street is nothing like it used to be it is basically just grotty now. There are a couple of those sweet shops near me and one has just been closed down so hopefully the police are starting to close in on them 🤞

Thought of this thread as I’ve just had Topshop exposure IRL!! Popped into a charity shop and they had some really lovely Topshop bits in there! Can’t post pics as it’s a small regional hospice (I believe?) shop so would be doxxing but they had a lovely coat that would have been on the £££ rails (remember those lol), 2 really lovely thick denim dresses, and some shoes (again the ones that were in the shoe area not on little hangers!). I’d have bought it all but it was size 6/8 which I definitely am not! Called my skinny sister and she said if she was a size 6 at her height she’d be dead so no thank you lol.

Interestingly it was priced a bit more expensively than I’d have expected! The coat was £30 but would have been a steal for it tbh and I imagine it was close to £200 new & dresses £20, only saw the shoes leaving so didn’t bother to check size or price. But even seeing those items there was so exciting - would be so much fun to get to go into prime era Topshop and look at all the lovely bits again wouldn’t it 🥲

Does anyone follow jenny sue garcia on Instagram? She sells really lovely reasonable priced clothes (wish there were more sizes over 14 but it’s nice to get inspo!) She used to be head of buying at topshop and featured in the recent doc xx

instagram.com/the.curatory
@the.curatory

What was the recent doc?? My local charity shop is selling arcadia pieces but I won't buy most of it as too expensive tbh. I know its never been worn but not paying 20£+ for jeans from 3 years ago etc. Supposedly they did a deal with the charity shops to stop it going to landfill but as its priced too high it'll go there anyways. If was even just 5ver cheaper would sell it sure x

Reactions: 3
My local Oxfam sells current M&S stock. There’s a chunk taken out of the label so you can’t return them to M&S. Coats that retail at £70 plus are £20. It’s overstock and seconds I believe.

My local Oxfam sells current M&S stock. There’s a chunk taken out of the label so you can’t return them to M&S. Coats that retail at £70 plus are £20. It’s overstock and seconds I believe.
Our local Paul Satori does the same with Zara. It’s seconds, overstock and returns, I’ve had so many great bargain! Sometimes they need a button replacing or foundation to be wiped off, very often they’re literally brand new!

What was the recent doc?? My local charity shop is selling arcadia pieces but I won't buy most of it as too expensive tbh. I know its never been worn but not paying 20£+ for jeans from 3 years ago etc. Supposedly they did a deal with the charity shops to stop it going to landfill but as its priced too high it'll go there anyways. If was even just 5ver cheaper would sell it sure x
it was called trouble at topshop - very good I thought xx

• Heart
Does anyone remember those Paul’s Boutique bags? I was so happy to get one in the Topshop sales 🤣

756BA92D-65DB-45A0-819D-98778663EC0C.jpeg
A87277BD-62DC-4883-8A33-E7516D3FD394.jpeg

• Haha
Yeh they were like 40/50 quid at the time weren't they! Mostly worn with barber jackets and uggs round here!

• Haha
Does anyone remember those Paul’s Boutique bags? I was so happy to get one in the Topshop sales 🤣

View attachment 1860740View attachment 1860741
Haha yes I had one with anchors on, I loved it and thought I was the coolest 😂

I remember how epic the topshop on Oxford Street (RIP) was back in the day. Not that we could afford much, but going there with friends and having a mooch around, buying something small after a few hours of browsing. Thinking about it most weekends we would go into a town centre of some description and have some lunch, look around the shops and chat and have a laugh. I suspect online shopping is a lot to do with the demise of the high street, sad but inevitable.

Haha yes I had one with anchors on, I loved it and thought I was the coolest 😂

I remember how epic the topshop on Oxford Street (RIP) was back in the day. Not that we could afford much, but going there with friends and having a mooch around, buying something small after a few hours of browsing. Thinking about it most weekends we would go into a town centre of some description and have some lunch, look around the shops and chat and have a laugh. I suspect online shopping is a lot to do with the demise of the high street, sad but inevitable.
Same, that was probably almost every Saturday for me from about 13to 15, I guess young people now just stay at home making tiktoks 😄

• Haha
Same lol. Most Saturdays we'd get the train into town to go to Topshop (when the new one in Cardiff opened mid 00s it was the second biggest in the UK - absolutely buzzing lol), mooch around, awe at the £50 Kate Moss dresses, try on sunglasses, spend £4 on a pair of girl boxer pants, then go to McDonalds or Starbucks and long out a frappecino or saver menu item for 3 hours. Then we discovered alcohol and congregated in town doing underage drinking and it got less wholesome lol 😬

• Haha
  • Heart