Topshop Nostalgia

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Huge rush of people trying to sell off their Balenciaga after their recent ad campaign with the kids? It was poor taste tbh but if you like your items it will blow over 👟

Reactions: 3
Looks like we’re losing H&M :(
Thank you for sharing this is v interesting! If even H&M can’t make physical retailing work in the UK it’s no wonder small high streets across the country are suffering. I wonder if they’ll keep other H&M group stores going or will we see some of them shut too? They’re admittedly at a v diff price point but I never see anyone in Arket when I walk past it’s always just a vast white expanse.

Reactions: 2
Looks like we’re losing H&M :(
honestly… it’s no great loss. H&M own a plethora of high street shops, none of them are sustainable
Or ethical. H&M is one of the biggest polluters in the fast fashion industry.

sorry to be a Debbie downer but realistically, this is good news (not the job losses per se). We need less H&Ms as it stands.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
i never understood why h&m had so many stores, at one point there were 3 in manchester city centre (2 in the arndale and one outside on market street) and then a h&m in like every greater manchester town lol

surely they would ditch the subsidary brands like monki and weekday first??

honestly… it’s no great loss. H&M own a plethora of high street shops, none of them are sustainable

sorry to be a Debbie downer but realistically, this is good news (not the job losses per se). We need less H&Ms as it stands.
i agree to an extent but places like h&m are losing business to places like PLT and SHEIN which are way worse

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I'll be so sad if H&M goes, it's genuinely one of the last places on the high street with relatively decent quality clothes and nice cuts for a good price - i've had so many of their pieces for years, i'm on the 5th year of my favourite mohair jumper from there and i've worn it a million times and STILL doesn't pile!

I understand their sustainable practices might be questionable but as someone who is obsessed with fashion and clothes i find it really hard to find decent clothes for over size 14 x

Reactions: 11
I'll be so sad if H&M goes, it's genuinely one of the last places on the high street with relatively decent quality clothes and nice cuts for a good price - i've had so many of their pieces for years, i'm on the 5th year of my favourite mohair jumper from there and i've worn it a million times and STILL doesn't pile!

I understand their sustainable practices might be questionable but as someone who is obsessed with fashion and clothes i find it really hard to find decent clothes for over size 14 x
100% this!! This thread has repeatedly spoken to quality and sustainability/ethics so it’s not as if anyone is bemoaning not being able to do YouTube haul content or buy a new outfit for one single night out, it’s accessibly priced at a time household budgets are stretched and provided people make those clothes last then it’s not “fast fashion” in that sense. Their model and supply chain needs an overhaul but the only way to do that is change consumer demand from the hyper consumers rather than completely withdrawing from the market and pushing consumers who buy what they need & make it last into the arms of e-commerce fast fashion giants, who invest a fortune into mechanisms that drive increasing order frequency & size (value and items).

Idk I always think there’s a tinge of classism with relentless discussions of sustainability re H&M, Primark etc, no one said it about Debenhams or Next yet they use the same suppliers? Even luxury fashion isn’t sustainably produced and exploits garment workers but there’s a v vocal section of society who want to punch down at households who don’t have the luxury of time or money to shop elsewhere…? It’s not a v inclusive discourse and doesn’t endear ppl to change imo.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
The problem is guys is that Gen Z like this polyester crop top PLT stuff :( whilst saying they’re environmentally conscious. If it didn’t sell, they wouldn’t make it. PLT and boohoo are way more popular than Zara etc, and I actually think primark is better quality

Reactions: 6
The problem is guys is that Gen Z like this polyester crop top PLT stuff :( whilst saying they’re environmentally conscious. If it didn’t sell, they wouldn’t make it. PLT and boohoo are way more popular than Zara etc, and I actually think primark is better quality
Yep exactly. Like everything online is a well oiled machine now from “organic” social media content > paid retargeting > on site mechanics to cross and up sell > super fast fulfilment > short garment lifespan > back on tiktok to start it all again next week. Like a fortune is spent by brands and until a notable % of consumers opt out then someone will be there fulfilling that demand. If H&M are going ecomm only all it’ll mean is they’ll start poaching the top dogs from PLT and boohoo to make it work, it won’t be the end at all.

Yep exactly. Like everything online is a well oiled machine now from “organic” social media content > paid retargeting > on site mechanics to cross and up sell > super fast fulfilment > short garment lifespan > back on tiktok to start it all again next week. Like a fortune is spent by brands and until a notable % of consumers opt out then someone will be there fulfilling that demand. If H&M are going ecomm only all it’ll mean is they’ll start poaching the top dogs from PLT and boohoo to make it work, it won’t be the end at all.
It’s interesting, I’ve noticed quite a few Arcadia execs are now top dogs at Boohoo/PLT? I mean why would they want them, they’ve got good fast fashion knowledge I guess but Arcadia failed :) Maybe the women were smarter than Phillip and it wasn’t their fault.

I spoke about this in the I think magazine thread but a lot of stuff is becoming just clicking through, automated, shop the link etc- fashion product writing is dying out, a lot of websites are automating or removing their descriptions as nobody reads them, they’ve arrived at the site through an ad etc :(

Reactions: 4
It’s interesting, I’ve noticed quite a few Arcadia execs are now top dogs at Boohoo/PLT? I mean why would they want them, they’ve got good fast fashion knowledge I guess but Arcadia failed :) Maybe the women were smarter than Phillip and it wasn’t their fault.

I spoke about this in the I think magazine thread but a lot of stuff is becoming just clicking through, automated, shop the link etc- fashion product writing is dying out, a lot of websites are automating or removing their descriptions as nobody reads them, they’ve arrived at the site through an ad etc :(
It’s interesting isn’t it. I know Topshop failed but it doesn’t change the fact there were a lot of incredibly talented people that worked there and made it how great it was who’ll have a lot of industry experience, I’m more inclined to think why on earth would they want to go there as it’s such a downgrade from Topshop but such is survival under capitalism I suppose. And tbh there are increasingly few retailers to go to - and a lot of them end up getting absorbed into the same few big groups anyway ☹ So you could start out working for a nice independent menswear brand and before you know it boohoo group or Mike Ashley owns the gaff. It’s pretty bleak, and this is at the large national scale it really goes to show how traditional bricks and mortar retail just isn’t tenable for small businesses operating on normal (eg not exploitative and/or environmentally ruinous!) margins.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
The H&M local to me always seems busy, same with Zara. I hardly shop in either of them but I’ll be sad to see them go. The staff at my local New Look are really great, I’d hate for it to go.

I agree but the problem is it is not being replaced by anything sustainable is it? al it means is that most of the people who shop there will go to asos or boohoo, which are even worse, ethically and for the environment. I very rarely buy anything online because I want to support the high street, it is depressing to go out and have a whole street that is half empty. Not to mention if I worked in retail I would prefer to work in a physical shop than an amazon warehouse

• Heart
Reactions: 5
It’s interesting isn’t it. I know Topshop failed but it doesn’t change the fact there were a lot of incredibly talented people that worked there and made it how great it was who’ll have a lot of industry experience, I’m more inclined to think why on earth would they want to go there as it’s such a downgrade from Topshop but such is survival under capitalism I suppose. And tbh there are increasingly few retailers to go to - and a lot of them end up getting absorbed into the same few big groups anyway ☹ So you could start out working for a nice independent menswear brand and before you know it boohoo group or Mike Ashley owns the gaff. It’s pretty bleak, and this is at the large national scale it really goes to show how traditional bricks and mortar retail just isn’t tenable for small businesses operating on normal (eg not exploitative and/or environmentally ruinous!) margins.
i always thought topshop was amazing as a buisness. You could tell it had a lot of talent. The nameless team behind it, from buyers to marketing, really built a great store selling good products. Not to mention the leadership of Jane Shepherdson.

Phil green just asset stripped it essentially and didn’t input much other than… money.

jane left because she didn’t like the fast fashion direction Phil and Kate Moss were taking topshop in 2007, she didn’t agree with the exploitative nature of it and I think ended up doing a stint at Oxfam.

I agree but the problem is it is not being replaced by anything sustainable is it? al it means is that most of the people who shop there will go to asos or boohoo, which are even worse, ethically and for the environment. I very rarely buy anything online because I want to support the high street, it is depressing to go out and have a whole street that is half empty. Not to mention if I worked in retail I would prefer to work in a physical shop than an amazon warehouse
maybe they don’t need to be replaced..? We need to buy less as a general rule anyway, sustainable sourced or not - as a nation, we over consume. Maybe we should have less shops as a whole, smaller high streets?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I agree but the problem is it is not being replaced by anything sustainable is it? al it means is that most of the people who shop there will go to asos or boohoo, which are even worse, ethically and for the environment
Yes, this is the problem and that all of the "traditional" fast fashion brands are competing with boohoo/shein and those people who could only afford H&M but it lasted them are being forced into participating in a faster fashion cycle than they would like.

• Heart
Absolutely. The lack of options and drop in quality is either forcing people to shop the new wave of fast fashion or rely on second hand clothing, the latter of which is getting more expensive and with more demand and competition as more people gravitate towards this.

While I absolutely think we can all reduce our consumption, when you have growing children, your body size changes, or your clothes wear out you have no choice but to engage. My wardrobe is still full of a lot of clothes I wore when I was 23/24 that either don't fit or are starting to make me look like lamb dressed up as mutton. Or they're New Look/H&M and starting to wear out. And god help the "vintage" 90s stuff I wore as a student trying to be edgy that I still have at the back of my closet lol. Replacing them and not relying on fast fashion is a slow process and tbh one of privilege that I have the time, money and energy to do.

Although influencers doing Shein hauls and people saying "there is no ethical consumption under capitalism" to justify these type of hauls can get in the bin lol x

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Fenwick Oxford street is closing - not that I’ve ever been in it 😳

Can’t say I’m surprised but interested to know this thread’s thoughts!

Fenwick Oxford street is closing - not that I’ve ever been in it 😳

Can’t say I’m surprised but interested to know this thread’s thoughts!
It was too hidden away so nobody knew where it was- and what’s its USP?

shame though as it’s just going to be offices :( we need some heart in the high street

It was too hidden away so nobody knew where it was- and what’s its USP?

shame though as it’s just going to be offices :( we need some heart in the high street
the thing is, is probably won't even be offices. I work in the area of the city, and half of the offices there are empty most of the time, most people in those kind of jobs are WFH now, it will just be yet another empty building or one of those tax dodging US candy shops

the thing is, is probably won't even be offices. I work in the area of the city, and half of the offices there are empty most of the time, most people in those kind of jobs are WFH now, it will just be yet another empty building or one of those tax dodging US candy shops
Says it’s going to be offices here but yeah you’re right, nobody’s there.
Bringing it ironically back to Topshop, I used to work off Oxford Street as well and there used to be such a buzz with all the department stores and the massive Topshop etc- it’s just so sad now, obvs still Liberty JL Selfridges etc but so many junk stores and footfall is much lower :( London College of Fashion was there so always used to see the students, now it’s moving to Stratford

They should really create a brand targeted at those no younger than 30 and no older than 45. That will get rid of both the neon crop tops and the granny stuff :)

Attachments