Tom Hiddleston #5 The Red Sweater Diaries

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This „ hands in the pocket“ new thing
He's been doing it for a couple of years now, we discussed it a few pages back and I think he's being very smart between how his fans associate him with anyone he is in sneezing distance of, and also to be respectful and not get himself in a bad spot. I saw some crazy Sylki shippers on twitter talking about how cute Tom and Sophia are together, calling her real life baby the Sylki baby..these people are nuts...if I were him I'd sew my hands into my pockets and never touch a human being the way his fandom carries on.

Too bad he didn't use Comic Con excuse to return to social media. Even reposting Sophia's photo would be well accepted.
If he posted a photo of him and Sophia the Lokius shippers would go NUTS. The shippers in these fandoms are seriously insane, the way people get so worked up over fictional characters is baffling to me. I want him to come back to social- @LetMeRamble had mentioned him using it to work on climate change which he discussed being passionate about at the con. I would love to see that. He should do what Mark Ruffalo does.

People seek attention. And followers. They would say just about anything to gain it. That is why I am skeptical each time something like that is posted. Also, why posting it now? Those are recent tweets, right?

I would like to see the other angle of this photo. Are those two are making a selfie?. Is he supposed to be in the photo? How far behind he really stands? One photo can tell dozen different tales.
Recent instagram posts yes, within the past couple of days. The account said they noticed people were very interested in their Betrayal info and decided to have an "ask me anything" day. They clearly realized they could milk the information for more engagement on their posts but, there's a downside to that too which is dealing with the wrath of his stans 😂

Reactions: 1
If he posted a photo of him and Sophia the Lokius shippers would go NUTS. The shippers in these fandoms are seriously insane, the way people get so worked up over fictional characters is baffling to me. I want him to come back to social- @LetMeRamble had mentioned him using it to work on climate change which he discussed being passionate about at the con. I would love to see that. He should do what Mark Ruffalo does.
I'm going to be honest really quickly here.
This is FOR SURE an unpopular opinion but, honestly? I could not give a flying duck if he decides to come back to Social Media to post selfies, or tiny videos ala Chris Evans, I mean, he can do whatever he wants.
What I'm bothered by, and this is the reason I'm pissed at him is, his total social unawareness.
Someone with such a big of a platform, who was very involved in charities, social and humanitarian movements he is doing absolutely NOTHING.
I cannot understand how or why he wouldn't put it to a good use. It's borderline infuriating to me, quite frankly.
This is something that, in my eyes, he'll always be at fault with.
Having the possibility of helping others with a mere post and neglecting to do so is actually a crappy trait to have.
This is not his personal life, this would be his PUBLIC persona doing some actual good to make this world a little better. How can anyone say no to that?
Damn, I think my hippie genes just took over for a sec..

Well, we only speculate why he left social media. It could have been something really bad. I agree he could (and probably should) use it for a good cause. Maybe he will go back. It is a bit puzzling why he quit doing so completely but what can we do? He has probably his own way how to support his charities but public awerness is the best one, I suppose.

Reactions: 3
Well, we only speculate why he left social media. It could have been something really bad. I agree he could (and probably should) use it for a good cause. Maybe he will go back. It is a bit puzzling why he quit doing so completely but what can we do? He has probably his own way how to support his charities but public awerness is the best one, I suppose.
I think a lot of celebs were told in the early days that they had to have socials for their career, so got it, then it turned into something else, where one tiny thing you do could be used to ruin your career or for people to get to you all the time about your private life, and a lot decided it was a mistake and came off. They are probably happier for it and realise they don't need it for work.

Having the possibility of helping others with a mere post and neglecting to do so is actually a crappy trait to have.
Even though this is a nice and noble thought, Tom is an actor and he doesn't have to save the world. Let's leave it to scientists and experts. It is better to be a celebrity who does nothing than celebrity who does things on false premises.

Reactions: 5
I think a lot of celebs were told in the early days that they had to have socials for their career, so got it, then it turned into something else, where one tiny thing you do could be used to ruin your career or for people to get to you all the time about your private life, and a lot decided it was a mistake and came off. They are probably happier for it and realise they don't need it for work.
Yes, that is one reason, I suppose. A lot of "celebrities" don´t use social media and are doing fine. I am not even sure if your popularity is measured by "followers" these days so much, if you are, well..."just" an actor. If you are this person who can´t really do anything and just posts photos of food or something (I believe it is called an influencer? I am a boomer, what can I say :D ), then yes. But I don´t think Tom necessarily needs that exposure. He obviously knows a lot of people, through a lot of people and is fine how he is now.
That said, to use it for a good cause like charity actually is a good thing and it adds to the visibility of that given cause. But again...even when he tried to use popularity to promote unicef (albeit unfortunately through his GG speech), he got slapped for it because he is a punching bag for many no matter what he does so I honestly cannot blame him.

Reactions: 2
Well, we only speculate why he left social media. It could have been something really bad.
This is a valid point. He might be tired of on-line world. After all, living in a imaginary world is not good for anyone.

Even though this is a nice and noble thought, Tom is an actor and he doesn't have to save the world. Let's leave it to scientists and experts. It is better to be a celebrity who does nothing than celebrity who does things on false premises.
I digress.
I'm not asking him to save the world all on his own but he could put his 10+ million followers to a good use. Again, bringing some of his fellow MCU co-stars, RDJ and Ruffalo are both advocate for social climate change.
Evans is delving into Human Rights.
Is not that hard yet it would make a difference.

That said, to use it for a good cause like charity actually is a good thing and it adds to the visibility of that given cause. But again...even when he tried to use popularity to promote unicef (albeit unfortunately through his GG speech), he got slapped for it because he is a punching bag for many no matter what he does so I honestly cannot blame him.
I don't think he did a bad job for UNICEF, all the contrary. Most of us, the people that actually follow him, think (I want to believe) that him being named an ambassador was a good thing, something that brought attention to a matter that's concerning and not talked enough.
People who are bitchslapping him for that based on a stupid speech on a stupid award show are not the ones that are paying attention to whatever he does on SM, WE....FANS ARE!

I think a lot of celebs were told in the early days that they had to have socials for their career
I don't even know where to start with that statement but let me just say that I don't believe for a second this was the case with Thomas. I don't think he was forced into it nor he did it to have a better image.
Some people DO actually care.

Last edited:
UNICEF is a hard charity for him to be involved with now because in the last few years there has been such a backlash against “white saviorism” (not just for Tom, but for everyone). It may not be fair, but SM is not fair. So he may just involve himself quietly in charities. He probably is generous in financial support, but he would not be the sort who beats his own drum about it. Zawe is involved in a lot of charities as well, but she would not face that kind of backlash. As I say, it’s not fair, but there it is.

I'm going to be honest really quickly here.
This is FOR SURE an unpopular opinion but, honestly? I could not give a flying duck if he decides to come back to Social Media to post selfies, or tiny videos ala Chris Evans, I mean, he can do whatever he wants.
What I'm bothered by, and this is the reason I'm pissed at him is, his total social unawareness.
Someone with such a big of a platform, who was very involved in charities, social and humanitarian movements he is doing absolutely NOTHING.
I cannot understand how or why he wouldn't put it to a good use. It's borderline infuriating to me, quite frankly.
This is something that, in my eyes, he'll always be at fault with.
This is not his personal life, this would be his PUBLIC persona doing some actual good to make this world a little better. How can anyone say no to that?
Damn, I think my hippie genes just took over for a sec..
I agree that someone who appears to be so passionate about these subjects really should be putting his social to better use, and there are ways he could do it while still protecting his private life and his safety.

He could post only stories and disable messaging, he could post on his grid and disable comments- he wouldn’t have to use anything identifying where he is. He could also do what he has done in the past and give his platform temporarily to a voice with less of a following. He wouldn’t even have to make himself present. We saw him do it a bit last year in the wake of George Floyd when he allowed Dr. Songwe to use his instagram.

Does he have to do this? Of course not- it’s not his job or obligation, but it would be a fantastic use of his platform. Instead of just leaving his social there for people to post “Tom where are you, marry meeee” every few hours, he could shut that tit down and use the engagement for something positive.

I have a distinct feeling that something happened to chase Tom off sm- we know he was getting sent nudes, we know there are people who have his address- I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his activity completely declined in the summer of 2020 after he and Zawe became more well known because she was in Atlanta. I have a feeling something happened that has to do with that, but that is complete speculation- based on Benedict and Adam Driver’s absence from social media I think it’s a similar kind of protection thing.

UNICEF is a hard charity for him to be involved with now because in the last few years there has been such a backlash against “white saviorism”
Never EVER heard that one before. I'm being honest.
I volunteer for UNICEF in my country, among other organizations that I feel deeply passionate about and I have never heard anyone, not even very famous people here, to be called that. I'm not joking I'm actually quite astonished by that.

I agree that someone who appears to be so passionate about these subjects really should be putting his social to better use, and there are ways he could do it while still protecting his private life and his safety.
[...]
Does he have to do this? Of course not- it’s not his job or obligation, but it would be a fantastic use of his platform. Instead of just leaving his social there for people to post “Tom where are you, marry meeee” every few hours, he could shut that tit down and use the engagement for something positive.
THANK YOU!!!! This is precisely what I was trying to say in a very precarious way, on top of adding my anger towards his inactivity.
He strikes me as someone that DOES care about certain topics that he could use his platform to bring awareness to.
I do believe that if you want something to change you have to be a part of the driving force behind it.
If he is worried about climate change, as he mentioned on the panel last weekend, then with his platform he could so something about it, even a tweet or a post could reach people that utterly oblivious about the matter at hand.
I love, jokingly, giving him tit about him being a mole man and not being present in social media but in reality, I'm more pissed about him not using what he has for a greater good than anything else.
I can live off pap photos alone, I mean, we have been for the past year or so, but I cannot fathom why he doesn't use his platforms as a tool for something more important than a selfie.

UNICEF is a hard charity for him to be involved with now because in the last few years there has been such a backlash against “white saviorism” (not just for Tom, but for everyone). It may not be fair, but SM is not fair. So he may just involve himself quietly in charities. He probably is generous in financial support, but he would not be the sort who beats his own drum about it. Zawe is involved in a lot of charities as well, but she would not face that kind of backlash. As I say, it’s not fair, but there it is.
I know what you’re saying especially after the GG’s, I did see people on twitter complaining about how he was this posh white actor who came from money and wanted everyone to see the work he did in Africa which I found extremely unfair..like would you rather he do nothing? Let the guy help! There’s no winning with some of these keyboard warriors.

Now to be fair he might do plenty behind the scenes still and we are in no way entitled to anything from him. Like I said he is not obligated and many celebrities probably do a lot less than he does unless they’re doing it for a photo op or damage control, but Tom used to seem so passionate about that stuff. It just seems like a waste for him not to raise awareness.

Imagine if he posted now- everyone would freak out and pay attention, would possibly donate to a charity of his choosing or even just be more aware of certain causes. I actually think if he continued to show commitment to those causes it would be better for his reputation because him falling off the face of the earth could suggest to people that he didn’t really care and it was performative in the first place- ***I do NOT believe that is the case but I think it could come across that way for him to be so heavily into a cause and then after media backlash he seemingly abandons it. Does that make sense?

Imagine if he posted now- everyone would freak out and pay attention, would possibly donate to a charity of his choosing or even just be more aware of certain causes
Piggy backing on this statement, I follow several actors / youtubers that every year, on their birthday, they ask fans that instead of sending them gifts, to donate that money to a charity.
When I was part of the Daniel Howell fandom (don't judge!) Fans would rally up and on his birthday, they would donate money to Young Minds, an organization he was (is?) the spoke person for.
This is precisely the one thing I would ask him to do if he were to listen to fan suggestions. Use your name and status for good causes! That's it.

I volunteer for UNICEF in my country, among other organizations that I feel deeply passionate about and I have never heard anyone, not even very famous people here, to be called that. I'm not joking I'm actually quite astonished by that.

You can get an idea of the arguments against white saviors here. They specifically mention both celebrities using their SM and UNICEF. But yeah it is a “thing”. I remember Ed Sheehan being called out for white saviorism.

Reactions: 4
I believe it is more of a thing in the US or so. I heard about it. Like, you are white and rich but how dare you to do something for charity. It is a weird conception. It is not here, fortunately, but there is a huge backlash against organisations helping people who occassionally get a state financial help. It is the populism we live in, I am afraid. We have a whole political party attacking these organisations, even those long lasting that have done some good. Everytime they post something about immigration or some story about a gay couple adopting or even "kids in Africa are starving", the comment section is ready to be closed because people are seriously mean. Like, why do they get money for helping strange people, we have enough problems here, etc. That said, I believe it is a loud minority as well, because the money going for charity from "common people" here are massive.
I personally have this "distant adoption" thing. I support a little girl in India, sending her some small amount of money every month so she can go to school. I think to support girls around the world to go to school is the most important thing. Education is important. We can see it especially now, when some (even educated) people believe you get a chip into your brain with the vaccine or something :D

I agree with you that Tom can use the SM for this but there is really nothing much we can do about it :) Unless someone directly asks him once they have a chance. At some convention where questions will be allowed or some smart journalist.

Until then.....where is that red sweather? ;)

You can get an idea of the arguments against white saviors here. They specifically mention both celebrities using their SM and UNICEF. But yeah it is a “thing”. I remember Ed Sheehan being called out for white saviorism.
Oh I see!
I was reading the article and this is rooted on the hatred towards Imperialism and I could, potentially, see why they are tagged as White Saviors.
I conducted fund raiser with an organization that provided clean water in villages in Africa. Each person that enrolled had to pay 1 USD which was later donated to the Blood Water Mission. Maybe it's because I'm from a 3rd World country, but we never got called that? Again, I'm not trying to be disrespectful or nor seem out of touch with reality, but culturally speaking, that's not a reality that I'm submerged based on where I live. Gosh I hope that doesn't sound bad but it's hard to explain myself and my socio-cultural background.
Bottom line here, where I'm from, people like helping people in need. No matter where in the country you are from or which echelon of the society you are at. When disasters happen, it's all hands on deck.

Tom had been working on a documentary about South Sudan. It had a name a director etc. He visited the country a number of times. Then the “white savior” thing began to spread (not just GG, but in general) and it was obvious that a documentary produced and narrated by a privileged white Englishman would not fly in the current climate. He had put a lot of energy and money into it, so he must have been disappointed- especially since most people in the western world couldn’t tell you where South Sudan is or that it is another country from Sudan. So I think his hesitation might be connected with this. When he posted about BLM in 2020, he was careful not to say anything personally- only to amplify and repost black people’s words. He might be able to do this again, but he also probably knew that when Zawe was posting at the same time she was getting a lot of hate in the comments (since deleted). I’m not sure this is why he is reluctant to use SM, but these things probably played into it.

Oh I see!
I was reading the article and this is rooted on the hatred towards Imperialism and I could, potentially, see why they are tagged as White Saviors.
I conducted fund raiser with an organization that provided clean water in villages in Africa. Each person that enrolled had to pay 1 USD which was later donated to the Blood Water Mission. Maybe it's because I'm from a 3rd World country, but we never got called that? Again, I'm not trying to be disrespectful or nor seem out of touch with reality, but culturally speaking, that's not a reality that I'm submerged based on where I live. Gosh I hope that doesn't sound bad but it's hard to explain myself and my socio-cultural background.
Bottom line here, where I'm from, people like helping people in need. No matter where in the country you are from or which echelon of the society you are at. When disasters happen, it's all hands on deck.
I understand. We are far from "third world" but I believe being in post-communistic country (even though we have been free for over 30 years and over 15 in the EU) some still tend to think we are this poor Eastern Europe (we are Central Europe with the highest GDP in the EU in 2019). So I think we don´t have the "imperialism" thing or even "against capitalism" (I keep saying some of those going against it should try to live here before 1989).
There are so many organisations here helping people...and people helping people...I believe it comes from the fact that we once needed that help so now we are trying to give back. Populistic parties aside, I think charities in all shapes and sizes are incredibly diverse here.
We had a tornado back in June (yes, in Central Europe) and so many people sent money it was unbelievable. It was, as you say, all hands on deck.

Sorry, diverting from Tom here a bit, I just wanted to say that I think I know what you mean.

• Heart
I believe it is more of a thing in the US or so. I heard about it. Like, you are white and rich but how dare you to do something for charity. It is a weird conception. It is not here, fortunately, but there is a huge backlash against organisations helping people who occassionally get a state financial help. It is the populism we live in, I am afraid. We have a whole political party attacking these organisations, even those long lasting that have done some good. Everytime they post something about immigration or some story about a gay couple adopting or even "kids in Africa are starving", the comment section is ready to be closed because people are seriously mean. Like, why do they get money for helping strange people, we have enough problems here, etc. That said, I believe it is a loud minority as well, because the money going for charity from "common people" here are massive.
I personally have this "distant adoption" thing. I support a little girl in India, sending her some small amount of money every month so she can go to school. I think to support girls around the world to go to school is the most important thing. Education is important. We can see it especially now, when some (even educated) people believe you get a chip into your brain with the vaccine or something :D

I agree with you that Tom can use the SM for this but there is really nothing much we can do about it :) Unless someone directly asks him once they have a chance. At some convention where questions will be allowed or some smart journalist.

Until then.....where is that red sweather? ;)
Not only in the USA, because of the slave time, but also in Great Britain because of the colonies and the behaviour there.

@Jara many of the bullets you've highlighted in your post are accurate for us too! We ain't the best country in the world, specially when it comes to adoption laws.
I was talking about that subject with a friend the other day and, even if we are a very multicultural country, I dare to say that 50% of the population is European descend after WWII, we still got issues. If I were to pin point where we struggle the most would be transphobia despite the fact that we were the 1st country in Latin America to become LGBTQ+ friendly.
Sorry that I brought up my social activism to the forum a little bit too strong, this is what happens when LMR gets carried away with passion-driven subjects!
WHERE IS THE RED SWEATER WE GOT PROMISED (???)

Tom had been working on a documentary about South Sudan. It had a name a director etc. He visited the country a number of times. Then the “white savior” thing began to spread (not just GG, but in general) and it was obvious that a documentary produced and narrated by a privileged white Englishman would not fly in the current climate.
Well that's utter bullshit if you ask me! I do understand what you are saying, don't get me wrong. I just hate the fact that some people feel that way and projects like his get canned due to that concept.