Tom Hiddleston #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When it comes to the kinds of roles he was getting, he said in an interview that after Hiddleswift he wasn’t getting the kinds of roles he wanted and he realised that the way casting directors saw him had changed. I assume he meant he wasn’t getting offered heavyweight roles or decent scripts but much lighter, flashier stuff because he’d lost his serious rep after Hiddleswift.

I don’t blame him for not wanting to talk or joke about it, it was a hurtful period in his life and I would have taken it personally too if I were him. He got absolutely taken to town by the media and the public and his fans, he had no one in his corner and I think he admitted he’d done a stupid thing but didn’t think everyone would come after him in the way they did. The fact that he obviously has long lasting trauma from that which has made him wary of communicating with the media and fans isn’t surprising.
So, Tom wouldn't talk so openly about his casting and lost movies. What interview was that? As far as getaway car is concerned, I would have proceeded by injunction and would have ensured that the song could no longer be played in public. The song is quite hurtful. I think he should be more open in general.

Ok I’m going to play Devils advocate here…I will admit I am a TSwift fan, her Reputation album came out as I was going through a real tough time and it’s a comfort album to me…Getaway car is more her blaming herself, she basically references how Calvin is the bad guy, Tom drove the car and she was the one that left him. It doesn’t paint Tom in a bad light at all. Least she didn’t burn him like she did with Jake, Joe Jonas and Harry 😂

but flip side, that relationship hurt him and I don’t like that. he has been nothing but respectful towards Taylor ever since.

I agree with pretty much everything that’s been said on here. I know age will come into it, but something changed 😕 and as for Loki - Loki is my comfort character but I agree it’s time for Tom to take a step back.

Reactions: 3
I think Tom "suffers" from the fact people (some so called fans as well) see him as a public person and think they know him. They don´t, we don´t. So they feel somehow priviliged to talk about his private life publicly. We do it as well but respectfully, as we would talk about any public person. It is a decent, normal discussion. I went to find some photos from The Essex Serpent and most stuff, of course, is on tumblr. It is already a bit out of my age range and a rabbit hole so I was surprised about the amount of hate the show (Loki) got there, simply because those girls (women?) didn´t get their fan fiction fantasies come alive and claimed Tom doesn´t know the character at all and that they would write it better etc. And then went and harrassed Kate Herron on twitter so much that she started to block replies to her posts. This is totally bonkers. I dislike things but I am not going to attack their creators.
But it is not just with Tom, it is every public person, I think. With the constant exposure, people feel like they can interfere with their lives.
I have been a long time Hugh Jackman fan (since 2005) and there are barely two nicer people than Hugh and Tom. They are very similar (polite, educated, *very* respectful to women and praising co-stars constantly) and he found a nice balance between social media and a private life. And yet, he is often mocked by tabloid that his wife is older (like, why he doesn´t find a young bimbo like other men?) and he recently appeared at Ivanka Trump´s party (through some mutual friends) and people claiming who were fans instantly hated him for it (most of them couldn´t even spell his name correctly), while the guy is Australian and can´t even vote in the US and never talks politics, only supports dozens of charities and supports adoption.
It is crazy online, it is sad but some handle it better, I suppose. So it is a bit "annoying" to be Tom´s fan because he keeps so private but on the other hand, good for him. Maybe those nitwits will slowly forget and will focus on someone else (or leave their parents´ houses and will start to live a real life :D )

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Ok I’m going to play Devils advocate here…I will admit I am a TSwift fan, her Reputation album came out as I was going through a real tough time and it’s a comfort album to me…Getaway car is more her blaming herself, she basically references how Calvin is the bad guy, Tom drove the car and she was the one that left him. It doesn’t paint Tom in a bad light at all. Least she didn’t burn him like she did with Jake, Joe Jonas and Harry 😂

but flip side, that relationship hurt him and I don’t like that. he has been nothing but respectful towards Taylor ever since.

I agree with pretty much everything that’s been said on here. I know age will come into it, but something changed 😕 and as for Loki - Loki is my comfort character but I agree it’s time for Tom to take a step back.
I like your point of view, is it maybe Tom doesn't speak about it out of respect for her? No matter what the relationship was is that why he won't speak out about it? I remember reading something that said she wasn't happy that he wanted it to be totally public, she wanted some privacy but not sure how true that is given the photos of them with his Mum etc. Looking in on it I think he really felt a lot for her, whether respect or feelings I don't know know

Reactions: 2
I like your point of view, is it maybe Tom doesn't speak about it out of respect for her? No matter what the relationship was is that why he won't speak out about it? I remember reading something that said she wasn't happy that he wanted it to be totally public, she wanted some privacy but not sure how true that is given the photos of them with his Mum etc. Looking in on it I think he really felt a lot for her, whether respect or feelings I don't know know
He’s never spoken about her and I like that, I think the only publicly thing he said was “she’s lovely and very smart” which to be honest she is, I could really break this whole relationship down but I won’t bore you all 😂 At the time of Tom and Taylor, Taylor was going through a real tit time through the media. If you watch her “miss Americana” docu on Netflix it really highlights the major struggles she goes through and Calvin was an asshole to her. Both of them were in a bad place and I say Tom and Taylor were “right person, wrong time”

Reactions: 4
He’s never spoken about her and I like that, I think the only publicly thing he said was “she’s lovely and very smart” which to be honest she is, I could really break this whole relationship down but I won’t bore you all 😂 At the time of Tom and Taylor, Taylor was going through a real tit time through the media. If you watch her “miss Americana” docu on Netflix it really highlights the major struggles she goes through and Calvin was an asshole to her. Both of them were in a bad place and I say Tom and Taylor were “right person, wrong time”
I feel like this is very back then, Kiefer Sutherland and Julia Roberts. She got famous very quickly due to Pretty Woman and he was modestly known but not as bankable (honestly, as far as big screen goes, he never was), then she started with Jason Patrick and it really, really got him so down that he was unable to recover from it for a couple of years. He is no sweet child himself, granted, divorces, prison, alcohol but a relationship like this would shake anybody, especially when there are three in it - him, her and the tabloid. She broke up with him before their wedding, which must have been even worse. He also - carefully - speaks about her that they are "friends" and he wants her to be happy and that they were very young (true). But thinking that it was in 1990 and people are still talking about it doesn´t really give a hope to Tom that they will stop talking about him and TS after "only" 5 years.
But Tom seems to be copying with it pretty well, imo. Shutting down a bit and then recover, and now he seems to be fine and enjoying himself while filming and talking to fans at the stage door. He seemed pretty OK at the few conventions he did back in 2019 as well. A bit tired but that is what jumping between time zones a few times a year and a convention long weekend with photos and autographs does to you :D

I honestly never thought either of them were super into the relationship- I think they were both using each other for personal gain. Taylor wanted to publicly get revenge on Calvin and rewrite the media narrative she was dealing with at the time, and Tom, who I think was actually much more ambitious than he comes off, wanted to boost his fame and possibly lead to the Bond role. That's not to say that they didn't like each other at all- they're both attractive and interesting, I'm sure they were able to amuse themselves.

I don't actually mind Taylor, I thought Folklore was wonderful and she seems to have grown up a lot. When they were together it was just so weird. He looked like a dad hanging out with her and her crew, it was very uncomfortable. Either truth of the situation was offensive to fans- either their "internet boyfriend" had chosen someone they found completely unsuitable, or he was a fame-hungry stunt queen and neither of those options worked with the image he had created so far. I don't think his change in personality had anything to do with feelings for her, I think it all stemmed from a fall from his pedestal and a severely bruised ego.

Reactions: 8
I think Tom "suffers" from the fact people (some so called fans as well) see him as a public person and think they know him. They don´t, we don´t. So they feel somehow priviliged to talk about his private life publicly. We do it as well but respectfully, as we would talk about any public person. It is a decent, normal discussion. I went to find some photos from The Essex Serpent and most stuff, of course, is on tumblr. It is already a bit out of my age range and a rabbit hole so I was surprised about the amount of hate the show (Loki) got there, simply because those girls (women?) didn´t get their fan fiction fantasies come alive and claimed Tom doesn´t know the character at all and that they would write it better etc. And then went and harrassed Kate Herron on twitter so much that she started to block replies to her posts. This is totally bonkers. I dislike things but I am not going to attack their creators.
But it is not just with Tom, it is every public person, I think. With the constant exposure, people feel like they can interfere with their lives.
I have been a long time Hugh Jackman fan (since 2005) and there are barely two nicer people than Hugh and Tom. They are very similar (polite, educated, *very* respectful to women and praising co-stars constantly) and he found a nice balance between social media and a private life. And yet, he is often mocked by tabloid that his wife is older (like, why he doesn´t find a young bimbo like other men?) and he recently appeared at Ivanka Trump´s party (through some mutual friends) and people claiming who were fans instantly hated him for it (most of them couldn´t even spell his name correctly), while the guy is Australian and can´t even vote in the US and never talks politics, only supports dozens of charities and supports adoption.
It is crazy online, it is sad but some handle it better, I suppose. So it is a bit "annoying" to be Tom´s fan because he keeps so private but on the other hand, good for him. Maybe those nitwits will slowly forget and will focus on someone else (or leave their parents´ houses and will start to live a real life :D )
Funny how many people claim they would be able to do better and yet nobody does. It is so easy to criticise when you never leave your comfort zone, but the reality of creation is you can never satisfy everyone despite the fact that you put your heart and soul in the work.
I don't get it, though: why people express so much hate about these matters. I mean, this is not the cure for cancer they were supposed to create, just a very entertaining series, for God's sake!!

About this "who wanted it public thing", let's think for a minute about who had pretty public relationships prior to that stunt and who didn't.
I think the answer is pretty obvious.
I feel the need to specify that I really enjoy TS's music though. Especially since 1989.

• Haha
As far as getaway car is concerned, I would have proceeded by injunction and would have ensured that the song could no longer be played in public
You can't do that. The song didn't call him by name nor it was slanderous.

It's not about the song, in my opinion. I don't think I know more than 2 songs from TS, not because she is bad or anything, I just enjoy other type of music but I did listen to the song that is about TH.
I think that issue was that her 'camp' painted TH in a bad light by saying:
Tom was using Taylor’s reputation to gain popularity. Likewise, he was expecting Taylor to go public with the relationship more than she was comfortable.
That, to me, was what triggered the bashing. Let's be honest for a quick second....TS has more followers that TH ever did, to this date, her 'voice' was louder than his. Her fandom was/ is larger than his. The imprint on the collective was, and still is, tied to her narrative.
Alleging that someone might have enamored you only because he was seeking personal gain is a low blow and that was the catalyst of all the BS he's gotten ever since.
She: The poor kind pop star that fell for a guy at a party
Him: The fame hungry new comer that would do anything to position himself in the industry.
That was the narrative they used and went with and, no matter how many times TH praised her (The GQ interview was proof of that) he was never able to turn things around and 'redeem' himself.

I went to find some photos from The Essex Serpent and most stuff, of course, is on tumblr. It is already a bit out of my age range and a rabbit hole so I was surprised about the amount of hate the show (Loki) got there, simply because those girls (women?) didn´t get their fan fiction fantasies come alive and claimed Tom doesn´t know the character at all and that they would write it better etc. And then went and harrassed Kate Herron on twitter so much that she started to block replies to her posts. This is totally bonkers. I dislike things but I am not going to attack their creators.
Tumblr can be a real zest pool! I'm way pass the age range of that site though I still have an account and go there occasionally.
The amount of crap that was thrown at the show just because they wanted a gay pairing as lead was mind blowing but that's tumblr. Most of the 'fans' or 'FanFic writers' objectify and push the gay narrative between the characters. If you go into any MCU tag, you'll see what I'm talking about.
I think is disrespectful and often times, those people are way past the 'rabid, raging fan' age group.
Do I agree with Herron's directorial choices in Loki? not entirely. Would I ever go ahead and bash her? Absolutely not. What would be the point? It is done, it was approved to be showcased like that. Let's move along.

maybe Tom doesn't speak about it out of respect for her? No matter what the relationship was is that why he won't speak out about it?
I think he doesn't speak about it because he wants this to just go away? I don't speak about my exes, why would he? He already said his peace, and was compared to a bowl of sauce or whatever, I don't think he feels the need to keep bringing this subject up the same way TS doesn't bring it up either?

Tom, who I think was actually much more ambitious than he comes off, wanted to boost his fame and possibly lead to the Bond role. That's not to say that they didn't like each other at all- they're both attractive and interesting, I'm sure they were able to amuse themselves.
I do believe that Tom is EXTREMELY ambitious, after all, working for the industry you have to be on top of your game at all times and is that a bad thing? I mean, everything in excess is bad but....if you are working towards a goal, you gotta be laser focused.
Again, did he ever mentioned he wanted to be Bond or that whole narrative came out of speculations?

I don't get it, though: why people express so much hate about these matters. I mean, this is not the cure for cancer they were supposed to create, just a very entertaining series, for God's sake!!
A-FREAKING-MEN!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Funny how many people claim they would be able to do better and yet nobody does. It is so easy to criticise when you never leave your comfort zone, but the reality of creation is you can never satisfy everyone despite the fact that you put your heart and soul in the work.

About this "who wanted it public thing", let's think for a minute about who had pretty public relationships prior to that stunt and who didn't.
I think the answer is pretty obvious.
I feel the need to specify that I really enjoy TS's music though. Especially since 1989.
I wish he would tell everyone to duck off really about it. Like “The relationship was real, I made some odd choices at the time, can everyone get over it please?”

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I wish he would tell everyone to duck off really about it. Like “The relationship was real, I made some odd choices at the time, can everyone get over it please?”
If he did this I think there would a huge round of applause!!

Reactions: 6
Well, if you watch some of his early interviews or some panel with other Avengers, you can see he drew a lots of attention and loved it. Even in the 2019 panel at Comic Con, he apparently had the biggest cheer ( however accepted it a bit differently ;) ). So, yeah, he was ambitious and the fame probably got a bit into his head. But who could blame him. He was (and still is! I mean, he is my age! :D ) young, and when you get lucky, it is easy to get carried away.
You don´t go into acting business to stay in a little cozy theater your whole life - everybody says that but rarely anybody is happy when they feel like they are talented and good enough to "make it". The irony is that Tom found a bit of a refuge back in the theater through 2019 but it brought him Tony nomination so I guess it was a good move. And he is, after all, a classically trained actor.
So if he really did fall on his nose a bit and learnt, then OK. Do I wish him bad luck? Of course not! He is one of the most talented actors around and is very polite and nice so what, he made a mistake once. Nobody is perfect.
So yeah, I would also love him to say to anybody who asks to say " duck off " :D

And for the record, nobody really knows what happened back then, those are only speculations - only him and TS know. I personally didn´t know much about TS before and don´t really know her now. She is big in the US but nobody really cares much about her music here (Central Europe) because it is a bit specific genre.
Fortunately, probably only US gossip sites and media care. Sadly, US is the place Tom wants and needs to work, so let´s hope they will just find someone else to obsess over.

The news wasn't as big where I'm from (South America) and all I ever read were US based articles so....speculations and nothing more, I guess.
He is too damn polite to say duck off but I would definitely like to see that!
I do believe that going back to his roots, theatre, was a good move for him as it also felt organic. Though I didn't have the pleasure of seeing him on stage, I think that more of that is coming from him as well as directing at some point.
The good old 'To live and learn' I suppose.
Even in the 2019 panel at Comic Con, he apparently had the biggest cheer ( however accepted it a bit differently ;) )
See, I think that's what I meant when I mentioned the change in his demeanor, he seems less euphoric and more centered. I mean, for sure some of it has to do with maturing, though he is young still, I just wonder if his 2016 nose dive had anything to do with it. I mean, it looks like it expedited the process to a point?
He seems like a cheerful, funny guy but now he looks as if he is taking himself way to seriously.
A bit of loosing it up wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Can't remember who asked but this is from the interview. The full interview seems to have been taken down

Reactions: 1
See, I think that's what I meant when I mentioned the change in his demeanor, he seems less euphoric and more centered. I mean, for sure some of it has to do with maturing, though he is young still, I just wonder if his 2016 nose dive had anything to do with it. I mean, it looks like it expedited the process to a point?
He seems like a cheerful, funny guy but now he looks as if he is taking himself way to seriously.
A bit of loosing it up wouldn't hurt.
Question is how bit is a bit? I like him more serious, tbh, so I may be biased. :D I am a very boring person myself, with a sense for a dark humour in bad places :D I don´t think he takes himself too seriously, he just thinks through what he says. But that is not just him.
And he has this cheeky way he speaks - you realize two years later he was telling you the whole story of Loki finale in your face, just chose the words the way you would never know. He is a different than most, outspoken, knows his way with words, considers replies....maybe it is a bit too slow for the talk shows or media, I don´t know. I like some of the talk shows but that is what they are, shows, so for some real interviews, you have to find some 30+ minutes long things where he really finds himself and also, has to be comfortable with the host. I absolutely adored the one with Stephen Colbert where they quoted Shakespeare and he apparently felt very comfortable.
Also, for me, using the 2019 comic con was a bit unfortunate, given every actor had about 3 minutes on stage :) I don´t think that Tom will come back.
Again, comparing him to myself (who also made some wild stuff even only 5 years ago), I don´t think the 2015 Tom will be back. You just grow up from things and maybe get the "I am too old for this tit" opinion sometimes. When you hit 40, you just have been working non stop for either a decade or two, nowhere near to slowing down, loans and resposibilites, family asking "When are you getting married? Why don´t you have kids?" (because a woman of my age should have these, nice civilisation stereotype), and it kind of slows you down. I mean, not that he would have financial problems, I think that is one thing Tom doesn´t probably need to concern himself about but he has been also working for a long time, and then if you hit an obstacle and it is not going your way, it is hard to get back to the previous pace. I am not sure he even wants to. *shrugs*
Not sure. I do like him now and I liked him before :) I am easy :D

Reactions: 1
Can't remember who asked but this is from the interview. The full interview seems to have been taken down

I just watched this recently when I went down my is Tom with Zawe rabbit hole- conclusion, even if he is with her you’d never be able to figure it out from their interviews or body language. He seems to purposely distance himself either because he doesn’t want the rumors or because he is trying very hard to protect their relationship. It’s quite a change from how he used to behave with female costars which could actually indicate he IS with her. Who knows?

From that interview came a twitter thread of just Tom zoning out to different pieces of music. I’ll see if I can find it.

Found it

• Haha
  • Sad
Question is how bit is a bit? I like him more serious, tbh, so I may be biased. :D I am a very boring person myself, with a sense for a dark humour in bad places :D I don´t think he takes himself too seriously, he just thinks through what he says. But that is not just him.
[...]
I absolutely adored the one with Stephen Colbert where they quoted Shakespeare and he apparently felt very comfortable.
[...]
I don´t think the 2015 Tom will be back. You just grow up from things and maybe get the "I am too old for this tit" opinion sometimes.

I do like him now and I liked him before :) I am easy :D
You make very valid points and I think I didn't express myself correctly.
I, under no circumstances, want 2013-2015 Tom back. Like if he were to make a joke, say about what he has in his pants again, I'd probably ban him from my life hahaha. He is, indeed, too old for that tit.

What I was trying to say is that you can see a sudden shift in the way he conducts himself in interviews now a days, I'm not mad or anything but his cheekiness (sp?) is not as normal as it once was. And that I DO miss.
I absolutely adored Stephen Colbert's interview. He was, for sure, in his element same thing with Jimmy Fallow. There are some interviewers that he likes more than others and you can see how he 'lets his hair down' in those.
I did like him then and I do like him now, I just noticed the shift in his attitude towards media and fans and it makes me wonder why, a side of just growing out of it, this happened?

Hope it made more sense now....sleep deprivation and copious amount of caffeine (plus writing in a foreign language) can sometimes makes me come off a bit fuzzy in my statements

Reactions: 3