Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If it’s any consolation @al255 I’ve been trying to get my 2.3 year old to sleep since 7 and he’s still awake 🥲 these toddlers just like to test us
soooo frustrating isn’t it! I try and not get annoyedwith it all but I’m a single parent so I can’t hand over to anyone!! Hope he goes to sleep soon x

Please can someone give me some hope regarding potty training. My daughter is 2.5 yrs and very sensitive. She’s a genre soul and is a bit anxious atm - going through a fear phase. She’s very strong willed and sensitive to any pressure. I’ve tried to potty train a few times now, most recent being yesterday. But she is so resistant. She got so upset yesterday when I tried to put her on the potty after a few hours and some accidents so I called it a day and we’re back in nappies for now.

I’m just worried she won’t get there and putting pressure on myself as everyone else I know seems to have cracked it with their toddlers. Im also 6 weeks pregnant so feeling like I need to do it before the baby arrives. It doesn’t help my partner just thinks you can force your will on her and as im “home all day” I should have had it done by now 🙄

Please can someone give me some hope regarding potty training. My daughter is 2.5 yrs and very sensitive. She’s a genre soul and is a bit anxious atm - going through a fear phase. She’s very strong willed and sensitive to any pressure. I’ve tried to potty train a few times now, most recent being yesterday. But she is so resistant. She got so upset yesterday when I tried to put her on the potty after a few hours and some accidents so I called it a day and we’re back in nappies for now.

I’m just worried she won’t get there and putting pressure on myself as everyone else I know seems to have cracked it with their toddlers. Im also 6 weeks pregnant so feeling like I need to do it before the baby arrives. It doesn’t help my partner just thinks you can force your will on her and as im “home all day” I should have had it done by now 🙄
If she isn’t ready you can’t force it. My daughters dad seems to think I should do it with my 2.5 year old and I said she isn’t ready. Talking to other mums the older they are the faster it is - don’t listen or compare to those saying it needs to be done. NO it doesn’t! Jo Frost even said that if you force it, it’ll have the opposite reaction. If anyone asks just say she’s not ready, you gave it a go and you’re going to try again in a few months when she’s showing more signs and is more ready, explain forcing will have an adverse effect and remember there’s not really a time limit on when they should be potty trained, generally before they start school!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
If she isn’t ready you can’t force it. My daughters dad seems to think I should do it with my 2.5 year old and I said she isn’t ready. Talking to other mums the older they are the faster it is - don’t listen or compare to those saying it needs to be done. NO it doesn’t! Jo Frost even said that if you force it, it’ll have the opposite reaction. If anyone asks just say she’s not ready, you gave it a go and you’re going to try again in a few months when she’s showing more signs and is more ready, explain forcing will have an adverse effect and remember there’s not really a time limit on when they should be potty trained, generally before they start school!
I agree. I trained my daughter at 2 years and 10 months and it went great! I'd been working myself up for months thinking about it! I definitely think it helped that she was a bit older. She was great with the wees straight away and the poops took a few weeks longer but she got there.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
@al255 thank you. I needed to hear that even though I know it. I’ll definitely use the super many quote on him though!

I think I’ve just had a wobble today as she needs me so much still. I have always struggled with being confident in my parenting, just because her dad and I are quite opposite. I do 99% of the parenting as he works very long hours and I’m a stay at home parent as it wasn’t worth me going back to pay for childcare. It’s quite lonely some days especially when you’re feeling sick and tired all day. I’ve seen you’re a single parent so I feel guilty complaining!

• Heart

She’s not ready yet and as others have said it’s not something you can force. Take the pressure off - leave it now for another month or two and try again. Personally I’d get rid of the potty and just train her to use the toilet. But for now, put it on the back burner. She’s only little, there’s no rush. Come back to it later on in the summer and have another try

• Heart
@Pinky27 thank you that’s made me feel so much better. I keep saying to him it’s not meant to be that hard, but like with most things he just thinks I’m too soft on her.

@BettyCrockerr that is what feels right to me, and I have been thinking maybe the potty isn’t the right way forward. She has always wanted to do everything the grown up way.
We go on holiday first week of July and I have my driving test so I think I will wait until that’s done and then see how we go. I’ll be further along and hopefully feeling less sick so will have more resilience and patience in me fingers crossed!

Not sure if it will make you feel better but both my kids were late potty trainers- like 4(ish) years old. I felt so so awful but they just weren't interested. But once they cracked it, nappies were history, no pull ups or accidents or anything. And at the end of the day they never went to school in nappies which was my fear!

Try to trust yourself and your baby 💐

• Heart
@whatdafuqqqq actually that’s made me feel a lot better. I’m sure she has some sensory issues, possibly adhd like me and I think it could take her some time. Which is fine, it’s just me that worries. I stress myself out so much about the next thing but she’s shown me when she’s ready she will do it so I just need to relax and follow her lead.

I did mine at 3 and a half and honestly it was easy because she understood what we were saying more and could communicate with us better. Like yours, she didn't want to know and even when we did try she was a bit hesitant but we just kind of did it without forcing her if that makes sense? We just made it fun and read stories on the potty / toilet (we let her pick).

The first day she literally went on the potty twice and there was no accidents. The second day she had about 3 or 4 accidents, day 3 (she went back to nursery) she had 1 accident and then by day 4 that was it.

She didn't need pull ups (i didnt really like them and neither did she) and we put a nappy on at night (didn't want to overwhelm her) but she told us she didn't want a nappy on at night. So we just put a puppy pad down on her mattress for a couple of weeks. She had a few accidents but not many at all and most we learnt from (don't let her drink too much before bed 😂)

I felt so much pressure from my mum in particular. She kept telling me I had left it too late and that she is going to school in August and she would still be in nappies etc. But I just ignored her and followed my little one's lead for the most part

• Heart
Reactions: 4
If you’re early pregnant, and she’s going through a bad patch, definitely not a good time to start. Wait until you’re both more settled and in a good frame of mind. I always reread "oh crap potty training" before I start with my toddlers, some good advice and guidance in there.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
@al255 thank you. I needed to hear that even though I know it. I’ll definitely use the super many quote on him though!

I think I’ve just had a wobble today as she needs me so much still. I have always struggled with being confident in my parenting, just because her dad and I are quite opposite. I do 99% of the parenting as he works very long hours and I’m a stay at home parent as it wasn’t worth me going back to pay for childcare. It’s quite lonely some days especially when you’re feeling sick and tired all day. I’ve seen you’re a single parent so I feel guilty complaining!
Oh, don’t apologise or feel guilty. You’re practically a single parent as you’re doing it all yourself 99% of the time like you said - just cos you’ve got a partner doesn’t mean it’s not bloody tough! I’m sorry you feel lonely, I feel the same some days. I need some real life mum friends 😂😩

@al255 oh no I could never compare myself to a single parent. I don’t have to worry about juggling all the finances, household, life admin and not getting a break. Plus managing to coparent, can’t imagine that’s easy!
Making mum friends is so hard!!

Reactions: 1
@al255 oh no I could never compare myself to a single parent. I don’t have to worry about juggling all the finances, household, life admin and not getting a break. Plus managing to coparent, can’t imagine that’s easy!
Making mum friends is so hard!!
i find it easier not having someone to annoy me daily😂😂😂

• Haha
People go “oh it must be hard being a single mum”. No it’s easier, I get more of a break than other mums/dads as she’s with her dad overnight one day a week so I get a whole day and night to myself. I control the household, shoppimg, finances etc, some times it’s tough when I’m tired and stressed and all I want to do is go to bed but generally it’s easier doing it all by myself daily. When I was with her Dad he would come home from work and sit on sofa and not help! Used to wind me up more. Now if the washing isn’t put away or there’s cleaning to do it’s all on me😂

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Hi all, picked my daughter up after work from her Grandads and he said she was in the worst mood ever when she woke up, he said she’s had an hour nap but she took 30 mins to stop being unhappy over being woken up. Bedtime is going well since I’ve really stuck to an hour nap .. I suppose she will get used to it won’t she? x she looks shattered.. chilled day for us tomorrow defo x

Hi all, picked my daughter up after work from her Grandads and he said she was in the worst mood ever when she woke up, he said she’s had an hour nap but she took 30 mins to stop being unhappy over being woken up. Bedtime is going well since I’ve really stuck to an hour nap .. I suppose she will get used to it won’t she? x she looks shattered.. chilled day for us tomorrow defo x
It's normal for them to be in a bad mood to start with when they're first waking up.
I know I am 😂

If she's shattered, can you move her bedtime earlier?

Kids are always a bit huffy and grumpy when they wake up, I’d try now not to draw attention to the naps or wake up times etc. when she’s with you and you wake her up, just get her up and awake, offer a drink and then crack on with the rest of the day. Don’t get into a habit of letting her dictate the mood of the afternoon if she’s huffing. She will get used to it of course. Few days and she will be fine. Get her to bed in the next hour or so, you’ll be fine

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.