Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She’s 19 months old, I’m noticing things like head shaking, wanting to be upside down looking through her legs, playing with the wheels of a toy, she eats most foods in a certain way, (will eat meat first, then sides or whatever, will not mix the two) yesterday I noticed she started walking in circles, she has a speech delay (she babbles a lot but hasn’t said any words yet) and has an aversion to messy play (will touch things if I put them on her hand or put her hand into it but I can’t say she enjoys it?) she used to flap her hands but I can’t say I’ve seen her do that recently but I’m going to watch out for it today, it may well be that she’s still doing it and I’ve overlooked it.
I’m not sure about all of these, but they say if a toddler sticks their head between their legs is because of pregnancy and they’re looking for their brother or sister 👀

• Haha
Reactions: 5
She’s 19 months old, I’m noticing things like head shaking, wanting to be upside down looking through her legs, playing with the wheels of a toy, she eats most foods in a certain way, (will eat meat first, then sides or whatever, will not mix the two) yesterday I noticed she started walking in circles, she has a speech delay (she babbles a lot but hasn’t said any words yet) and has an aversion to messy play (will touch things if I put them on her hand or put her hand into it but I can’t say she enjoys it?) she used to flap her hands but I can’t say I’ve seen her do that recently but I’m going to watch out for it today, it may well be that she’s still doing it and I’ve overlooked it.
My kids would all go through stages of playing with wheels (13 month old always tips things up for them), and it’s part of the rotational schema So can be absolutely “normal”, and at that age my eldest also would have hated messy play. Have you been told she has speech delay? 19 months doesn’t seem that old to me to not have words - maybe a bit later than usual but certainly not unheard of. It’s tricky as these things can come and go, or they may be something more. If you have concerns please do reach out to your HV, as mum always knows best ❤

Reactions: 1
I’m SO stressed out. My daughter (2.5) is still taking forever to go for a nap, she was shattered at half 12 and after lunch she went straight to bed. She’s been fuming for 30 mins, messing around, now she’s sobbing and overtired. I was meant to not let her sleep past half 1 but that’s out the window today!! Bedtime should be 8pm and if she sleeps past half 1 bedtime is gunna be half 8-9pm. I am fed up. I can’t get the balance right at all and for the first time in her life it’s a mess. We’ve had a busy morning at role play and she was tired but now she’s overtired and moody, bedtime will be a disaster!

If I let her nap for half an hour she will be livid and the afternoon will just be a write off and that’s not fair on anyone. Bedtime being late means she’s gunna be tired tomorrow as she’s at nursery so have to be up at usual time half 6!! I just can’t win.

It might be a phase or she might be ready to drop the nap. It sounds like it’s really stressing you out so I think the best thing for you would be to try and go with the flow. If you really do want her to be asleep before 8 you’ll need to cap the nap. Seeing them overtired and cranky isn’t fun but the transition to no nap isn’t smooth sailing sadly. My daughter completely stopped napping at 18 months and was a rough few months for us getting her to last til 6pm but was worth it.

Reactions: 2
It might be a phase or she might be ready to drop the nap. It sounds like it’s really stressing you out so I think the best thing for you would be to try and go with the flow. If you really do want her to be asleep before 8 you’ll need to cap the nap. Seeing them overtired and cranky isn’t fun but the transition to no nap isn’t smooth sailing sadly. My daughter completely stopped napping at 18 months and was a rough few months for us getting her to last til 6pm but was worth it.
she defo still need a sleep or else she would be falling asleep at 3pm and that’s no good for anyone. It’s just the time she’s finally going to sleep is so late 😩she’s gunna have a 50 min nap today but thats Her own fault for messing around😂 urgh I actually can’t wait until she doesn’t nap!

Oh yes I know that 3/4pm danger zone very well 😂 that’s when baby shark would get blasted and we’d have a kitchen party. I really was so happy when she stopped napping as she always fought them.
Hope she settles in to coping with a shorter nap for you soon!

• Heart
I’m SO stressed out. My daughter (2.5) is still taking forever to go for a nap, she was shattered at half 12 and after lunch she went straight to bed. She’s been fuming for 30 mins, messing around, now she’s sobbing and overtired. I was meant to not let her sleep past half 1 but that’s out the window today!! Bedtime should be 8pm and if she sleeps past half 1 bedtime is gunna be half 8-9pm. I am fed up. I can’t get the balance right at all and for the first time in her life it’s a mess. We’ve had a busy morning at role play and she was tired but now she’s overtired and moody, bedtime will be a disaster!

If I let her nap for half an hour she will be livid and the afternoon will just be a write off and that’s not fair on anyone. Bedtime being late means she’s gunna be tired tomorrow as she’s at nursery so have to be up at usual time half 6!! I just can’t win.
She’s still having 2 naps every day?
First off try to relax a bit. I know it seems stressful but just take a breather. It just sounds like she’s not needing the afternoon nap. I know you are worrying that she’s going to be moody etc through the afternoon if she doesn’t get a nap, and yeah maybe she will be for a day or two but she’s at an age where she’s probably not needing 2 structured scheduled naps. Fair enough if she dozes off after lunch for a snooze but I think you might have to just admit defeat now with the second nap of the day, deal with the huff for a few days while she gets used to the new routine and crack on. There is zero point in stressing yourself out like this over it.

She’s still having 2 naps every day?
First off try to relax a bit. I know it seems stressful but just take a breather. It just sounds like she’s not needing the afternoon nap. I know you are worrying that she’s going to be moody etc through the afternoon if she doesn’t get a nap, and yeah maybe she will be for a day or two but she’s at an age where she’s probably not needing 2 structured scheduled naps. Fair enough if she dozes off after lunch for a snooze but I think you might have to just admit defeat now with the second nap of the day, deal with the huff for a few days while she gets used to the new routine and crack on. There is zero point in stressing yourself out like this over it.
no, she’s having one x

She’s had 1 nap at 12:30 to 2 for ages but bedtime is getting later so I capped naps but she’s now not going for a nap till 1pm so naptime can only be till 1:30 or else bedtime is at half 8 rather than 8. So it’s just a mess, she’s exhausted off 30 mins😩

It’s just the first time I can’t seem to get the balance right. I guess she will just have to live with only having 40-50 mins 😩

Last edited:
  • Heart
no, she’s having one x

She’s had 1 nap at 12:30 to 2 for ages but bedtime is getting later so I capped naps but she’s now not going for a nap till 1pm so naptime can only be till 1:30 or else bedtime is at half 8 rather than 8. So it’s just a mess, she’s exhausted off 30 mins😩

It’s just the first time I can’t seem to get the balance right. I guess she will just have to live with only having 40-50 mins 😩
If you do cut the nap, can you bring her bed time earlier?
My first 2 stopped their naps around 1 so we ended up with a 6pm bed time and it ended up working well

no, she’s having one x

Just try to roll with it for a few days. Stay consistent with the new schedule and if you feel that she’s needing bed earlier because of it then move bedtime to a slightly earlier time. Things will get a bit more fluid and wishy washy now regards to nap times and sleep in general so don’t beat yourself up over it - being a bit tired and aggy isn’t going to do her any harm! ☺

I would put mine to bed at 5 pm some nights when we were cutting out nap, afternoons would consist of not a lot so they could have quiet time , snacks, early dinner and straight in the bath. Worked for us, doesn't take too long before they get used to no nap. Much easier to plan your day as well.

Just try to roll with it for a few days. Stay consistent with the new schedule and if you feel that she’s needing bed earlier because of it then move bedtime to a slightly earlier time. Things will get a bit more fluid and wishy washy now regards to nap times and sleep in general so don’t beat yourself up over it - being a bit tired and aggy isn’t going to do her any harm! ☺
will do
Thank you xxx

@al255, I have no advice as we are in the thick of naptime scheduling woe too, but I just wanted to say try not to stress too much (easier said than done!) All will come good in the end xx

@al255, I have no advice as we are in the thick of naptime scheduling woe too, but I just wanted to say try not to stress too much (easier said than done!) All will come good in the end xx
She‘s at nursery tomorrow, then my Dads Friday as I’m at work so it’s just Saturday day I have to deal with naps for. Then next week not until Wednesday 😂every cloud!!!

Why is it they suddenly don’t need a nap? It’s gone from 3 hours to an hour in 4 months😱

Last edited:
She‘s at nursery tomorrow, then my Dads Friday as I’m at work so it’s just Saturday day I have to deal with naps for. Then next week not until Wednesday 😂every cloud!!!

Why is it they suddenly don’t need a nap? It’s gone from 3 hours to an hour in 4 months😱
does she nap at nursery?

does she nap at nursery?
yeah, it was 1.5 hours (they have same routine as me too, lunch then naptime around half 12) (no wakeups after 2) then I’ve cut it down to 1 hour there and they said she’s been fine x

She’s always napped well as nursery, I think it helps she copies the other kids going for a nap at the same time and there’s nothing to mess around with 😂😂😂 she just tests me

yeah, it was 1.5 hours (they have same routine as me too, lunch then naptime around half 12) (no wakeups after 2) then I’ve cut it down to 1 hour there and they said she’s been fine x

She’s always napped well as nursery, I think it helps she copies the other kids going for a nap at the same time and there’s nothing to mess around with 😂😂😂 she just tests me
Has she ever done a day without a nap? With my older 3 I found that when they were getting to the stage that bedtime was getting later/longer that they had done a day here or there without a sleep. So I would then cut it down so they didn’t give up their nap altogether, but they would have some days they didn’t nap, and some they did. My friend did it so her wee one napped on nursery days and not on home days. Not sure if that would be possible for you? Then on days she doesn’t nap pop her to bed earlier.

Hopefully it's a one off and she will get back into her routine tomorrow.

My 2 year old fell asleep in the car at 10am today , they never nap that early . I couldn't even let them sleep very long because I was in a short stay car park . Then they were complaining of being tired when we had to go out for school run .

Has she ever done a day without a nap? With my older 3 I found that when they were getting to the stage that bedtime was getting later/longer that they had done a day here or there without a sleep. So I would then cut it down so they didn’t give up their nap altogether, but they would have some days they didn’t nap, and some they did. My friend did it so her wee one napped on nursery days and not on home days. Not sure if that would be possible for you? Then on days she doesn’t nap pop her to bed earlier.
No, when we went away she lasted 8.5 hours of being awake before she caved in at 5pm (we was flying), but then bedtime was 10pm and she was screaming. I don’t think she’s ready to drop the hour nap yet, maybe In a few months.

If it’s any consolation @al255 I’ve been trying to get my 2.3 year old to sleep since 7 and he’s still awake 🥲 these toddlers just like to test us

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.