Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all, picked my daughter up after work from her Grandads and he said she was in the worst mood ever when she woke up, he said she’s had an hour nap but she took 30 mins to stop being unhappy over being woken up. Bedtime is going well since I’ve really stuck to an hour nap .. I suppose she will get used to it won’t she? x she looks shattered.. chilled day for us tomorrow defo x
I always try and give a snack when they wake up from their nap.
Gives them time to sit and eat it and wake up a little 😂

Reactions: 1
Generally she’s always been in a good mood after nap time, my dad said she was like a devil 😂😂😂

I think like you said it’ll take a few weeks to adjust to one hour x

@al255 a nice quiet activity like reading together and having a cuddle I find can help ease that transition from being sound asleep to being awoken. Then a really decent afternoon snack with protein and healthy fats to give her that energy boost (maybe some skittles too if she’s being really grumpy 🤣 instant burst of energy!) and get her outside. I find my kids are so much less grumpy, and I can handle it better, when we are out.

Reactions: 2
My son is going through a phase of having meltdowns after nursery at the moment. He's fine on the journey home but once we get in the house he has a tantrum because he doesn't want to eat what we have cooked for his tea and it just snowballs from there. It's just so, exhausting? I don't know what to do anymore. He gets into such a state. We try everything and really try not to back down (we didn't tonight and he did try a bit of his meal). It always ends in an argument with me and my partner too :cry: we disagree so much on parenting styles.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
My son is going through a phase of having meltdowns after nursery at the moment. He's fine on the journey home but once we get in the house he has a tantrum because he doesn't want to eat what we have cooked for his tea and it just snowballs from there. It's just so, exhausting? I don't know what to do anymore. He gets into such a state. We try everything and really try not to back down (we didn't tonight and he did try a bit of his meal). It always ends in an argument with me and my partner too :cry: we disagree so much on parenting styles.
Do you think the food is just an issue for him to focus on because he’s knackered and grumpy? It is it actually the food? If so, could you let him decide each day what’s for dinner before he goes to nursery? Not free reign, obviously, but say “would you like curry or roast chicken tonight?” From you list of pre-chosen dinners. Then when you pick him up “remember you asked for curry today? I’ve got it ready for when we get home” If the problem isn’t the food you’ll soon find out!

Hi all, picked my daughter up after work from her Grandads and he said she was in the worst mood ever when she woke up, he said she’s had an hour nap but she took 30 mins to stop being unhappy over being woken up. Bedtime is going well since I’ve really stuck to an hour nap .. I suppose she will get used to it won’t she? x she looks shattered.. chilled day for us tomorrow defo x
I wake mine and leave him in his bed so he can have a bit chilling. I’m lucky that he won’t go back to sleep, and it stops all the moaning. He normally lays for an extra 10 minutes. I also think it has a lot to do with the fact he’s only allowed his dummy in bed now, so he has a little suck On them while he’s awake

Do you think he could be overhungry? Maybe he needs a little snack to get him home. He could just be knackered and hangry and too far gone for dinner. Does he eat well at nursery? I hear you with the different parenting styles it really makes it so much more wearing!
Edited to say my daughter doesn’t usually eat dinner, we have tried a few things but we usually have dessert regardless of if she’s eaten dinner or not. Usually a banana or yoghurt, nothing fancy. Or we offer that after her bath so she’s not going to bed hungry but it doesn’t just save herself for dessert. It depends on the day and how she’s eaten when we offer it.

Omg I could have written this! Exact same here. What age is your son? My wee girl is 20 months and is going through the same. She seems to love nursery - she's happy to go every day, she has fun and eats well there and is happy to see me at collection time. But then it starts. Sometimes it starts from trying to get her into her car seat or other days it's once we get home. Constant crying, whinging, shouting, full on tantrums, won't eat, nothing makes her happy. I've googled and read all this stuff about it being normal/it means you have a "secure attachment" but to be honest that's little comfort when you're dealing with it day in and out and it's also causing friction between me and my husband. It probably sounds daft but I find it really stressful when there's just nothing I can do to try and please her.

Omg I could have written this! Exact same here. What age is your son? My wee girl is 20 months and is going through the same. She seems to love nursery - she's happy to go every day, she has fun and eats well there and is happy to see me at collection time. But then it starts. Sometimes it starts from trying to get her into her car seat or other days it's once we get home. Constant crying, whinging, shouting, full on tantrums, won't eat, nothing makes her happy. I've googled and read all this stuff about it being normal/it means you have a "secure attachment" but to be honest that's little comfort when you're dealing with it day in and out and it's also causing friction between me and my husband. It probably sounds daft but I find it really stressful when there's just nothing I can do to try and please her.
I also could have written this! :D my son was 2 last October so a little older than your wee girl but they sound sooo similar! I find it so stressful too, I'm starting to dread nursery pick ups :(

I also could have written this! :D my son was 2 last October so a little older than your wee girl but they sound sooo similar! I find it so stressful too, I'm starting to dread nursery pick ups :(
At least we know we're not alone! 🙈😂

• Heart
Our toddler has the meltdowns too after nursery. It’s totally normal (not that it makes it easier). The staff always say about the kids that they’re so well behaved all day and they tend not to have meltdowns in front of each other, but then loads of parents say they’re a little demon before/after nursery. It’s definitely a secure attachment thing, they know they can have their meltdowns at home because their parents aren’t going anywhere and will respond to it and they feel safe to do it.

for the evenings we try not to push too much and just offer a few alternative healthy snacks. Some days are better than others though for sure

Reactions: 5
Any tips for getting a 4yo to poop? 😂
She says she doesn't need to go.
But up until Saturday, it had been 6 days. I gave her orange juice Saturday morning and she did a tinyyyyy one. And now she hasn't been again since then.
Even after giving her more orange juice.
I tried some prune juice and she gaged and almost threw up 😂😂😂

• Haha
But up until Saturday, it had been 6 days. I gave her orange juice Saturday morning and she did a tinyyyyy one. And now she hasn't been again since then.
I find pears really help (and kiwis) - if you could puree some and then freeze it into a lolly for her maybe? And maybe a warm-ish bath to try and relax her wee bum! Is it worth asking the doc about a laxative? My friend's wee girl was the same but she was holding it in which was then resulting in accidents and the doc said it was actually a sign of constipation so she's on laxatives for a few months now.

I find pears really help (and kiwis) - if you could puree some and then freeze it into a lolly for her maybe? And maybe a warm-ish bath to try and relax her wee bum! Is it worth asking the doc about a laxative? My friend's wee girl was the same but she was holding it in which was then resulting in accidents and the doc said it was actually a sign of constipation so she's on laxatives for a few months now.
She had laxatives as a baby.
She's had several baths.
Last week she had a few marks in her underwear but still insisted she didn't want to go.
I think doctors for something to help may be the next step. Her stomach is so bloated but she seems fine.

She keps telling me the past few weeks that her poop was "spikey"

• Heart
Lactulose will soften the poop to make it easier for her to go, you can buy it in a pharmacy. It sounds like she’s maybe scared of hurting her bum, but if she takes lactulose for a few days it should help.

She had laxatives as a baby.
She's had several baths.
Last week she had a few marks in her underwear but still insisted she didn't want to go.
I think doctors for something to help may be the next step. Her stomach is so bloated but she seems fine.

She keps telling me the past few weeks that her poop was "spikey"
Poor wee pet, must be uncomfortable for her and poor you! Hope you get some help from the doctor.

Lactulose will soften the poop to make it easier for her to go, you can buy it in a pharmacy. It sounds like she’s maybe scared of hurting her bum, but if she takes lactulose for a few days it should help.
I did wonder about lactulose but wasn't sure if you could give it to kids. I've only ever downed it myself when terrified for the after birth poop 😂😂😂

• Haha
@WhatABore my friend’s daughter has always suffered with constipation. She makes her eat 2 kiwis a day and that keeps her right. Chia seeds are also supposed to be good for it. I’d imagine a problem is it’s probably impacted close to her bottom now, so even if she eats lots of those things the next few days it may still be uncomfortable until that harder stool is through. A neighbour also has a child who has chronic constipation, and she has had to stay giving lactulose daily as that’s the only way they can keep on top of it.

@WhatABore my friend’s daughter has always suffered with constipation. She makes her eat 2 kiwis a day and that keeps her right. Chia seeds are also supposed to be good for it. I’d imagine a problem is it’s probably impacted close to her bottom now, so even if she eats lots of those things the next few days it may still be uncomfortable until that harder stool is through. A neighbour also has a child who has chronic constipation, and she has had to stay giving lactulose daily as that’s the only way they can keep on top of it.
I'll send Mr Bore out for some lactulose and try that and if not, I'll give the doctors a call for something more!
Before this, she was going every day!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.