Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
hes done approx three in the time ive been potty training, since just before he was 3, they were quite big and he did say they hurt his bottom, this is where the issues start, after that pain incident, i give him weetabix for breakfast most days and loves fruit, and a fig roll every couple of days as i was worried that he wasnt eating enough fibre and that keeps him regular, but he holds it in. I have taken him to sit, read a book, took the ipad, but id say 90% of those times hes got so upset i didnt want to push him too much incase he develops a major fear the other 10% he sits there and doesnt do anything.
I'd say that is possibly what's wrong then.
That one time sticks in their head and they associate it with it every single time.

I have no advice on how to get past it as I think they just kept going. They did contact the doctor and they put him on some kind of kids lactulose so that it didn't happen again and eventually he learned it wouldn't be painful ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Please let us know how it is. I’d love to go with my daughter she’s 2, so be in summer she will be 2 and a half. She’s 87cm so by then she will be tall enough for the rides with/without me I think 😂

For things to take:

Have you got anything blackout for the room? I take an old black out curtain when we stay anywhere as the curtains are usually rubbish (especially caravans), sun shade for the pram incase, snacks, anything for lunch, defo take calpol just incase but like others have said you can get stuff at local shop nearby.
I definitely will! :LOL:

Thank you to all your replies, appreciate it tattlers xx

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I'd say that is possibly what's wrong then.
That one time sticks in their head and they associate it with it every single time.

I have no advice on how to get past it as I think they just kept going. They did contact the doctor and they put him on some kind of kids lactulose so that it didn't happen again and eventually he learned it wouldn't be painful ❤
Thats my next step, the doctors.

Thank You for your help ❤

• Heart
So just wondering, how much do you get out with your toddler. For instance- in my case it’s just myself & my daughter who is 2. She goes to nursery Monday&Tuesdays and Wednesday and Thursday she’s at home with me. I always feel like I have to be out and about with her, at toddler groups etc.. and she enjoys them. Fridays she goes to a family members as I work (to save nursery fees too).. atleast once a month we go to the zoo (annual pass). I split the weekend with her Dad, so on the day we might go to the park or on the swings, or go for a walk in the woods etc. She has lots of toys and plays with them too at home so she’s never really bored.

I try and have one morning where we chill and just do nothing.. I feel like I do too much with her though compared to other mums on my Facebook. I just feel guilty when we are inside not doing a great deal and she’s stuck in front of the tv. The reason for my post is I’ve just gotten over covid and we’ve been pretty much housebound and she’s not been as bored as I thought she would be 🤣🤣

How much do you do outside/groups with your toddler?
For me, when I think “oh we aren’t getting out enough, she needs more” I remember the months and months we stayed at home during lockdowns and how perfectly content my kids were just being in their space. Yes, they love getting out, but mine (9,6,3, but when lockdown first started aged 7, 4 and 1.5) are also really happy at home. I think especially since she’s out of the house at nursery and childcare, then with her dad, it’s nice to let her spend some time in the house and play with her toys.

Slightly different here as I‘ve Been home full time for 18 months, but we have 4 days together in the week (my parents take her and my nephew out one day) and we go out two/three of the days usually. So Monday we went to the play gym, yesterday to the church toddler group, today she’s with my parents and they went swimming, so tomorrow we will probably stay home (usually play in the garden, or go for a walk/bike ride) and Friday is a no go as the older kids finish school early. We almost always spend Thursday at home.

Hi not posted on this thread before (Hi 👋) but i need some advice.
**TMI warning**
I have a 4 year old boy, who refuses to poo on the potty or the toilet. With wee's he is fantastic, takes himself off to do them, never any wet accidents hes perfectly fine with wee's, Poo's however he flat out refuses, to the point where he he will have a wee, pull his pants up and poo his pants, ive tried to catch him doing it and put him on the potty or toilet, this caused a major meltdown, im hesitant in doing this again in case it embeds a fear. im completley at my wits end and really worried he wont be clean for school in September, i dont want him to be bullied. Has anyone ever come across this problem, can anyone offer any advice please?
I don’t have any first hand experience but I’ve read suggestions that go as follows.
When he needs to poo (in his nappy) he goes and stands in the bathroom to do it
Next step is he sits on potty/toilet still wearing the nappy and does the poo in the nappy, but whilst on the toilet
Then next step is when he sits up the nappy is undone, but still under his bum
Final step is then nappy is gone

A way to approach it that isn’t all or nothing ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
For me, when I think “oh we aren’t getting out enough, she needs more” I remember the months and months we stayed at home during lockdowns and how perfectly content my kids were just being in their space. Yes, they love getting out, but mine (9,6,3, but when lockdown first started aged 7, 4 and 1.5) are also really happy at home. I think especially since she’s out of the house at nursery and childcare, then with her dad, it’s nice to let her spend some time in the house and play with her toys.

Slightly different here as I‘ve Been home full time for 18 months, but we have 4 days together in the week (my parents take her and my nephew out one day) and we go out two/three of the days usually. So Monday we went to the play gym, yesterday to the church toddler group, today she’s with my parents and they went swimming, so tomorrow we will probably stay home (usually play in the garden, or go for a walk/bike ride) and Friday is a no go as the older kids finish school early. We almost always spend Thursday at home.

I don’t have any first hand experience but I’ve read suggestions that go as follows.
When he needs to poo (in his nappy) he goes and stands in the bathroom to do it
Next step is he sits on potty/toilet still wearing the nappy and does the poo in the nappy, but whilst on the toilet
Then next step is when he sits up the nappy is undone, but still under his bum
Final step is then nappy is gone

A way to approach it that isn’t all or nothing ❤

Thanks for the advice! Yeah see for me my daughter was a only 2 months when lockdown happened so I didn’t need to entertain her as much, then when we went out of it it wasn’t as bad. I think it’ll be easier now the weather is nicer as can go out in the back garden etc - won’t always need to get out! I need to remember it’s ok to be in playing with toys & it doesn’t mean she’s “stuck in” x

Thanks for the advice! Yeah see for me my daughter was a only 2 months when lockdown happened so I didn’t need to entertain her as much, then when we went out of it it wasn’t as bad. I think it’ll be easier now the weather is nicer as can go out in the back garden etc - won’t always need to get out! I need to remember it’s ok to be in playing with toys & it doesn’t mean she’s “stuck in” x
It is definitely a hard mindset to get out of. I’ve very much always been “we have to go out!” Especially at weekends. But my husband reminded me that while I’m home all day, he’s at work mon-fri, the older kids are at school and sometimes they don’t then want to be out again at weekends.
It is extremely rare we spend all day indoors though, I will say. Puddle suits and wellies are well used here! but soooooo much easier and nicer for us as parents when it’s warm and dry!

Hey looking for some tips please!

hoping to move our 2 year old from cot to bed next weekend (Easter weekend, bank holidays = doesn’t matter if he doesn’t sleep as no work 😂) and wanting advice to make it easy as possible! Do we go for a bed guard or has anybody used a bumper under the cover? Thank you :)

hoping to move our 2 year old from cot to bed next weekend (Easter weekend, bank holidays = doesn’t matter if he doesn’t sleep as no work 😂) and wanting advice to make it easy as possible! Do we go for a bed guard or has anybody used a bumper under the cover? Thank you :)
This is what we use 😊😊

Attachments

We used the IKEA VIKARE guard rail on his toddler bed once converted from the cot bed. It was perfect for stopping him rolling onto the floor at first. I involved him while I changed it into a 'Big boy bed', he was so excited and gave him an extra place to chill in his room as well as we had just dropped his nap and mid lockdown so spending more time at home. To my surprise he slept through all night on the first night, didn't get out of bed once even in the morning he still shouted to me once he woke up. He's generally really good at bedtime, happy with a couple of stories , nightlight left on and I leave him to fall asleep.

I used a bed guard from Argos, I got her some single bedding that has animals on it. I made a HUGE deal about her big girl bed and how amazing it was. The rail folds in half and she had loads of fun putting it up and down. She just loved it! She kept her sleeping bag on for ages still but we’ve transitioned to the duvet now. I just made it really fun and went over the top with how fab it was to have a big girl bed 😂

The same with everyone else really with keeping them as involved as possible.
I let her choose the bedding we bought for their bed and kept them there when we set it up.
A gro clock is a good idea too 😊

Thats my next step, the doctors.

Thank You for your help ❤
Have you tried just sort of ignoring it? So if he does a poo in his pants - just act completely not interested and tell him to go to the toilet and get rid of it/clean himself up/go get fresh clothes etc? It may now be a bit of an attention/control type thing. As you say, he knows what he should be doing, and he is deliberately messing in his clothes so I’d try having a go and just sort of ignoring it for a few days and see how he reacts? He may well change then and try to get praise/attention etc by doing the poo in the toilet?

Hi not posted on this thread before (Hi 👋) but i need some advice.
**TMI warning**
I have a 4 year old boy, who refuses to poo on the potty or the toilet. With wee's he is fantastic, takes himself off to do them, never any wet accidents hes perfectly fine with wee's, Poo's however he flat out refuses, to the point where he he will have a wee, pull his pants up and poo his pants, ive tried to catch him doing it and put him on the potty or toilet, this caused a major meltdown, im hesitant in doing this again in case it embeds a fear. im completley at my wits end and really worried he wont be clean for school in September, i dont want him to be bullied. Has anyone ever come across this problem, can anyone offer any advice please?
My 4 year old still wears a pull up for a poo most of the time. They have had problems with constipation and someone else is usually in the bathroom when they need a poo so I'm not pushing them .
I'm sure your son will be fine at school as he will likely get into a routine and will probably only poo at home . Just make sure school staff are aware and have a pull up / change of pants for emergencies.

I need some night training advice. My 4.5 yr old is the BEST sleeper but still in a nappy at night. She’s very keen to try to be dry but her room is completely pitch black at night. We tried a nightlight she squeezes to turn on next to a potty but she said it was too dark to find it. Does anyone have any genius ideas of ways she can get it light enough to use a potty?

I need some night training advice. My 4.5 yr old is the BEST sleeper but still in a nappy at night. She’s very keen to try to be dry but her room is completely pitch black at night. We tried a nightlight she squeezes to turn on next to a potty but she said it was too dark to find it. Does anyone have any genius ideas of ways she can get it light enough to use a potty?
I ordered this for my boys and it is actually really bright and the battery lasts forever!
Does she see a lot at night time? Could it just be the case she needs to be put on the toilet at 11ish at night, I’ve had to do that with 2 of mine x

Night Light for Kids Morfone Nursery Night Light with Soft Warm Light & 8 Color Changing Baby Night Light Lamp with Touch Control & Timer Setting for Breastfeeding Kids Bedroom Child Gifts Up to 200H Amazon product

Can she easily access the bathroom? If so, leave the toilet light on and door ajar, so that when she gets up she can see the light from her room and go to the toilet herself?

Can she easily access the bathroom? If so, leave the toilet light on and door ajar, so that when she gets up she can see the light from her room and go to the toilet herself?
She did ask if we can do this. Something about leaving her door open makes me nervous but she’s soo keen to be drop the nappy I do want to help her. We will try tonight.

Can you get her a lamp? With just a click button.

Usually they say its a hormone they develop though to be dry at night.
My 4 year old has just started having dry pull ups for the past couple of weeks. So we're going to remove them and replace with the absorbant bed pads for a while and then stop completely.
Usually no juice after 6pm too.
Especially if you do give them juice, not blackcurrant as that's the worst apparently.

If my 4 year old does get up though, she just gets up and turns her main light on

Can you get her a lamp? With just a click button.

Usually they say its a hormone they develop though to be dry at night.
My 4 year old has just started having dry pull ups for the past couple of weeks. So we're going to remove them and replace with the absorbant bed pads for a while and then stop completely.
Usually no juice after 6pm too.
Especially if you do give them juice, not blackcurrant as that's the worst apparently.

If my 4 year old does get up though, she just gets up and turns her main light on
Mine can’t reach the light switch and her room is sooo dark. It’s got no window apart from a skylight with a blind on so it’s the darkest room in the house. She’s a funny one as she’s never ever got out of bed without one of us going to get her so I actually think she’s probably dry all night then wees in her nappy waiting for someone to get her up in the morning.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.