Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She did ask if we can do this. Something about leaving her door open makes me nervous but she’s soo keen to be drop the nappy I do want to help her. We will try tonight.
Move anything from the bathroom that could be hazardous- cleaning products/medicines/razors etc - leave the light on and see how she gets on? She’s at an age where she should be ok to go for a wee on her own, let her have a go and rake it from there

Mine can’t reach the light switch and her room is sooo dark. It’s got no window apart from a skylight with a blind on so it’s the darkest room in the house. She’s a funny one as she’s never ever got out of bed without one of us going to get her so I actually think she’s probably dry all night then wees in her nappy waiting for someone to get her up in the morning.
You can get motion activated strip lights that go under the bed - so that when you get out of bed abs put your legs/feet down on the floor the LED strip lights up. Might be an idea?

Reactions: 1
Curious on other children's speech.
My 4 year old has been talking from quite an early age.
However. She struggles to pronounce words.
I can't remember at all with my son if it was normal or not.
But I feel like I see other 4 year olds and their pronunciation is quite clear.
We often struggle to understand what she's saying.
I can understand her more but others have a hard time understanding her sometimes.

Just listening to her now say odd words and just picking some.. "Fwush" instead of flush.
"Drong" instead of Strong.
"Cwap" for Clap.
"Toiwet" for toilet
"Pway" for play

It seems to be S's and L's she struggles with.

Just wondering if it's normal or not 🤔

Reactions: 3
I can understand her more but others have a hard time understanding her sometimes.

Just listening to her now say odd words and just picking some.. "Fwush" instead of flush.
"Cwap" for Clap.
"Toiwet" for toilet
"Pway" for play

I dont know if its normal but my eldest was like this. Even now at 9 he still has a slight impediment with his R's. It's always wush instead of Rush. We tried helping him by correcting how he says it, & it did help he only really does it now if he's tired or anxious.

Reactions: 2

"Cwap" for Clap.
"Toiwet" for toilet
"Pway" for play

Did she have tounge tie? She may have a lisp or slight speech impediment. She’s only little, try to help correct her and see if she can start trying a few words with the proper pronunciation. If she gets one or two correctly, it’s probably just a habit that she will grow out of.

Move anything from the bathroom that could be hazardous- cleaning products/medicines/razors etc - leave the light on and see how she gets on? She’s at an age where she should be ok to go for a wee on her own, let her have a go and rake it from there

You can get motion activated strip lights that go under the bed - so that when you get out of bed abs put your legs/feet down on the floor the LED strip lights up. Might be an idea?
This is a great idea. Thank you!

Did she have tounge tie? She may have a lisp or slight speech impediment. She’s only little, try to help correct her and see if she can start trying a few words with the proper pronunciation. If she gets one or two correctly, it’s probably just a habit that she will grow out of.
Not that I'm aware of.
We have always wondered if she had a slight speech impediment or whether she was just lazy.

We keep repeating words she struggles with and get her to say them back, and not matter how many times, how many ways we slow it down, repeat it, she just doesn't seem to be able to do it

Not that I'm aware of.
We have always wondered if she had a slight speech impediment or whether she was just lazy.

We keep repeating words she struggles with and get her to say them back, and not matter how many times, how many ways we slow it down, repeat it, she just doesn't seem to be able to do it
It’s only recently my 6yo has cracked R, and my 3.5yo still struggles with the hard C/K sound, and the R as well
A friend once saw SALT and they told her never correct your child or it will draw attention to it. But rather if they say
“Let’s ‘pway’ with this” you say “that’s great, yes let’s PLAY with that” so confirm the right word and pronounce it correctly back to them.

And when I saw “cwap” my first thought was she was struggling to say “crap” 🤣🙈

• Haha
It’s only recently my 6yo has cracked R, and my 3.5yo still struggles with the hard C/K sound, and the R as well
A friend once saw SALT and they told her never correct your child or it will draw attention to it. But rather if they say
“Let’s ‘pway’ with this” you say “that’s great, yes let’s PLAY with that” so confirm the right word and pronounce it correctly back to them.

And when I saw “cwap” my first thought was she was struggling to say “crap” 🤣🙈
She's fine with other letters mostly. But for some reason she's always struggled with 'banana' 😂
It was one of her first sounds. With "Babababa" when she wanted one.
Then it changed to "Burbahbah"
And now she say "Burmama"

• Haha
  • Heart
She's fine with other letters mostly. But for some reason she's always struggled with 'banana' 😂
It was one of her first sounds. With "Babababa" when she wanted one.
Then it changed to "Burbahbah"
And now she say "Burmama"
We have a whole load of things she just can’t get - my favourites are “mavilla” for vanilla and “mint chop chip”, and “mafingo” for flamingo!

• Haha
Hi all ☺ Looking for some advice regarding my 2 year old constantly saying everything is hers.

If I’m eating my breakfast she will say MINE and try and snatch. She knows not to snatch with me and ask for some.. she really kicks off if she doesn’t get her own way there and then!?

She is awful with it, so fast forward to nursery (she’s been going since she was 8 months old, 2 days a week), the last few months everything is MINE.

She won’t let anyone else sit where she has sat and it’s just awful. Nursery told me she’s not getting any better.

She’s an only child and she shares with me, we go to plenty of toddler groups the days shes not at nursery and she’s ok there. Any advice?? Nursery just say it’s her age but it’s just abit urgh when they’ve told me she’s been snatching again x

Hi all ☺ Looking for some advice regarding my 2 year old constantly saying everything is hers.

If I’m eating my breakfast she will say MINE and try and snatch. She knows not to snatch with me and ask for some.. she really kicks off if she doesn’t get her own way there and then!?

She is awful with it, so fast forward to nursery (she’s been going since she was 8 months old, 2 days a week), the last few months everything is MINE.

She won’t let anyone else sit where she has sat and it’s just awful. Nursery told me she’s not getting any better.

She’s an only child and she shares with me, we go to plenty of toddler groups the days shes not at nursery and she’s ok there. Any advice?? Nursery just say it’s her age but it’s just abit urgh when they’ve told me she’s been snatching again x
Unfortunately it is her age.
Sharing skill doesn't develop until between 3 and 4.
If you're continuously repeating to her about sharing ect, then you're doing everything you can.
She will grasp it eventually however, I can imagine it's frustrating watching it happen 😊

Unfortunately it is her age.
Sharing skill doesn't develop until between 3 and 4.
If you're continuously repeating to her about sharing ect, then you're doing everything you can.
She will grasp it eventually however, I can imagine it's frustrating watching it happen 😊
Thank you, I thought as much. She shares with me but I think being an only child and getting what she wants (most of the time) doesn’t help…. Am I raising a monster 🤣🤣🤣

@WhatABore - kid bean is 6 and sometimes I struggle to understand what he’s saying. Some words I’m like wtf are you trying to say 😂 he doesn’t have his front teeth, so that may have something to do with it 🤷🏼‍♀️

My 3.5 year old has always been a great speaker but struggles to pronounce her ‘s’’ and for some reason can’t say ‘fish’ she says ‘shush’ if you look at speech sisters on Instagram they are very good at explaining this kind of thing and might help you feel reassured it is very normal I would say. I had loads of words I couldn’t pronounce properly ad a child and my parents still joke about it now!

Reactions: 4
I find my 2 and 4 year olds really hard work at the minute . I keep thinking toddlerhood wasn't that difficult when my teenager was that age. I didn't find everything so testing when I had an older child and an infant.
Sometimes I wonder if I don’t have the patience for two young children or if mine actually are a nightmare. Then I think about it and the biggest difference is both my parents were alive when my first was little and then just my dad with my younger 2 ( he died not long after my youngest was born) .

• Heart
Reactions: 5

"Cwap" for Clap.
"Toiwet" for toilet
"Pway" for play

My daughter is almost 4 and a lot of her L’s she pronounces with a W sound. She says wegs instead of legs, pway instead of play, wook instead of look. She also pronounces F’s with a B and until fairly recently she said her P’s with an H but she seems to have grown out of that now.

So glad to find this thread. I have searched to see if this has been asked about before but couldn’t see anything on it, which means it might just be me who’s a mug… my daughter is 2.5 and I still have to cuddle and rock her to sleep at night. I have to get her to sleep before she goes in the cot 99% of the time otherwise she just won’t go to sleep. I tried a few things when she was younger to try and get her to go to sleep independently but I just couldn’t take the crying so here we are.

Any advice or is anyone in the same boat?

• Heart
So glad to find this thread. I have searched to see if this has been asked about before but couldn’t see anything on it, which means it might just be me who’s a mug… my daughter is 2.5 and I still have to cuddle and rock her to sleep at night. I have to get her to sleep before she goes in the cot 99% of the time otherwise she just won’t go to sleep. I tried a few things when she was younger to try and get her to go to sleep independently but I just couldn’t take the crying so here we are.

All my older 3 have been the same. My eldest we lay with her in bed until she was 3.5, my second was 4.5 and my third is now 3.5 and still has my husband lie with her to go to sleep. Would you think about moving her to a bed and you can lie with her and cuddle her, which may be a bit easier than moving her down in to a cot?
I know different things work for different families but for us, we don’t mind giving them that help to fall asleep, and the older two “grew out of it” in their own time.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

What @Definitelyme said! Try a big bed. Pick out some new bedding, get her to pick out some special bits. Does she have a night light? Maybe get one that she has picked out. Does she sleep through the night? You probably have already tried it, but have you laid her down awake and if she cries, don’t talk, just lay her back down? Not sure if that’s the cry out method though, and I know people don’t like that? Does she still nap during the day? She maybe be overtired?

Reactions: 5

I would suggest exactly the same as @Definitelyme
Can you get her a big bed so you can lay with her until she falls asleep instead of rocking her?
We moved ours out around 2 into a bed with a bed guard.
Got them a gro clock too so they could help 'put it to bed' every night

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.