Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That makes sense, obviously we want to make sure her ankles are supported correctly. I just couldn't make sense of her saying she'd been told to get boots like Dr martens and then saying converse are fine when converse offer no support. We have trainers for her which in my opinion do offer the correct support but I'd rather make sure we've got her in the right shoes than potentially cause her pain.
My son often wore converse and honestly he's never had a problem in them as the soles are quite hard. I found with my sons docs they actually caused him more pain as they were really hard for him to get his feet in even when we sized up x2.

My son often wore converse and honestly he's never had a problem in them as the soles are quite hard. I found with my sons docs they actually caused him more pain as they were really hard for him to get his feet in even when we sized up x2.
Yea she has quite wide feet so I can see that being a problem for her too. I know she doesn't have wellies because apparently her feet/legs are too wide for wellies.

Yea she has quite wide feet so I can see that being a problem for her too. I know she doesn't have wellies because apparently her feet/legs are too wide for wellies.
What about Kickers they're quite wide fitting and supportive .
68013C08-E520-4DFE-A7FE-7BDA058DDED1.jpeg

Reactions: 1
I'd honestly try Clarkes as a starting point, or even kickers, her consultant should also be able to recommend some retailers & brands that will suit her feet if she has quite a wide foot.

Reactions: 4
My boy has wide feet and Clark’s ones are the only ones that fit. Bloody expensive 🤣. We have to go in and try them all on cos certain styles don’t fit his foot. They’re always helpful in there

My 2 year old seems to have hit the terrible twos as they are called. Constant tantrums, throwing things, kicking and dinner time is just an absolute meltdown. Since I last posted on here he had called down dramatically and is a lot more calmer at his toddler groups now and was back to his happy easy going self. He turned two at the beginning of the month and it’s like a switch has just flicked. This morning was going ok and for the first time in weeks he was ok with my changing his nappy and getting dressed to go out and meet my friend with her little one. Once we got to the cafe/child’s play area he was ok for 30 minutes then he just had tantrum after tantrum throwing things, screaming and kicking me. I do tell him off/explain how it’s not nice behaving like that and makes mummy sad. I fully understand most of the time it’s frustration for him as he’s still learning how to communicate. He can say a few words and learns new ones everyday. I’m not concerned by it as he can understand/follow instructions and can explain what he wants if he doesn’t have the words. Sorry for going off on a tangent I just wondered if anyone has any advice/tips and also please tell me it gets easier

• Heart
Reactions: 5
My 2 year old seems to have hit the terrible twos as they are called. Constant tantrums, throwing things, kicking and dinner time is just an absolute meltdown. Since I last posted on here he had called down dramatically and is a lot more calmer at his toddler groups now and was back to his happy easy going self. He turned two at the beginning of the month and it’s like a switch has just flicked. This morning was going ok and for the first time in weeks he was ok with my changing his nappy and getting dressed to go out and meet my friend with her little one. Once we got to the cafe/child’s play area he was ok for 30 minutes then he just had tantrum after tantrum throwing things, screaming and kicking me. I do tell him off/explain how it’s not nice behaving like that and makes mummy sad. I fully understand most of the time it’s frustration for him as he’s still learning how to communicate. He can say a few words and learns new ones everyday. I’m not concerned by it as he can understand/follow instructions and can explain what he wants if he doesn’t have the words. Sorry for going off on a tangent I just wondered if anyone has any advice/tips and also please tell me it gets easier
Me and my friend were talking about this earlier. Her boy is a couple of weeks younger than mine and she has tried everything. What is working at the moment, is she cuddles him if he’s having a moment. He screams to get out, but after a couple of second he stops, and she talks to him quietly. She said it seems to have worked
I’ve been very lucky in the fact that my boy can have a tantrum, but it will last a second and then he’ll go off and do something else. He hasn’t got great speech, so I probably let him get away with more than I would as I can understand how frustrating it is for him

2 year olds are hard and occasionally worse than the devil 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
That must be exhausting for you ❤ It is so hard to deal with constant meltdowns, and also the anxious wait for when it may happen.
Try not to do too much talking about it while it’s happening, as he will probably be so in the moment that he can’t take it in at all. Just support him through it and make sure he’s in a safe space. A nice tight cuddle does wonders for my eldest son. He wasn’t a tantrum type, but emotional breakdowns at the slightest thing and a really tight hug always calms him very quickly. Similar idea to a weighted blanket but easier to do on the go. Stories were another one for him, in the deepest of his upset he could always choose a story and have it and that calmed him. Not quite the same situation, but maybe you can find something t

I also read a while ago we, as parents, should avoid saying things like “I feel sad when you are screaming”, because our children aren’t responsible for our feelings about their behaviour. Wee ones can’t control their own behaviour, so they have no concept of how it affects anyone else. It’s a tough one though, as I try and find the line between putting my feelings about their behaviour on them, but also getting them to recognise their behaviour does have an impact on those around them (especially my older kids). But for my 3yo I have stopped using phrases that mention my feelings in relation to her behaviour as it wasn’t doing any good tbh.

And kind of on the other side of that as parents we have to remember we can’t do anything about how our kids feel. We aren’t responsible for their feelings either, and we can (to a certain extent) let them just have those feelings and ride it out. Not saying let him scream blue murder and chuck things at your head mind you 🤣 again it’s trying to find that balance which is one of the hardest parts of parenting. Parenting is exhausting 😰

• Heart
Reactions: 2
my 2 year old turned 2 at the start of this month as well and he is the EXACT same!! I have no advice but I sympathise!! I’m just holding out hope that it doesn’t last forever😅

• Heart
Basically reiterating what @Definitelyme is saying but instead of saying the screaming makes you sad try something like “We don’t hit/scream/insert behaviour here, that is NOT ok. I see you’re really frustrated/angry/upset because of *insert thing that’s making them sad*. It’s ok to feel frustrated/angry/upset. Why don’t we try and do something else to take your mind off it or we can come back again another time” etc, you get the jist. They will more than likely always keep having said tantrum (because 2 year olds are the devil reincarnated 🙃) but as they get bigger they’ll be able to understand their emotions a bit more and regulate them and tell you they’re feeling said emotion rather than tantruming. I’m already starting to see the benefit of this technique with my 2yo and certainly with my 3.10yo.

I have no advice for the actual screaming though, I usually just give them a cuddle if they let me and if not I say ok, I see you feel that way, let it out and once you’ve calmed down we can cuddle if you’d like.

I think there’s a huge difference between tantruming because they can’t regulate their behaviour/emotion and actually being naughty. Don’t tell them off if they can’t express their feelings, obviously do tell them off if they hit/throw things etc because they need to know that affects others!

(just wanted to edit to say that I know this technique sounds massively wanky but I too was shocked to find shouting my head off all day because my 2yo was being a dick did not work and did in fact just make us both unhappy 😂 who knew !!!!)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Thanks everyone for your advice/help and also sympathy. I found this morning when I was explaining things to him it did seem to help and he even went and brought me his shoes when I said we were going out to play with my friends wee one. I tried the advice to cuddle him when he has a massive one and he did calm down a lot quicker (it wasn’t one where he was misbehaving he genuinely got himself really worked up). I understand where your coming from with saying to him about making me sad when he’s doing this, cause I get he doesn’t understand and also his feelings aren’t my fault/responsibility. it was more a way of trying to learn him other kids may get upset when he’s doing certain behaviour but I know he’s still young. Parenting can be so hard work can’t it but we wouldn’t change it for the next world. Thanks everyone x

• Heart
Reactions: 7
(just wanted to edit to say that I know this technique sounds massively wanky but I too was shocked to find shouting my head off all day because my 2yo was being a dick did not work and did in fact just make us both unhappy 😂 who knew !!!!)
Shouting does not work at all. I did with my eldest who’s 12, and she still doesn’t care. I don’t shout at the others (boys, much easier to parent 😂) and life is so much easier. In fact, my 6 year old hate being told off he sees his sister get told off most days 🙈
My mum always said with my daughter ‘any attention is good attention’ and she is so right. Don’t tell her I said that though 😂

• Haha
So my little one is about to turn 3 next week .. and he’s been at nursery since he was 2. He used to love it , ran in no looking back , happy to be there. And after February half term he cries as soon as we get into the car park , cries walking all the way to the door and then once he’s in cries his eyes out 🥺 when I ring 10-15 mins later he’s fine. But I dread it every morning I have to drop him off 😭😭 it really makes me sad when he gets upset. Anyone else have any other problems like this ?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
So my little one is about to turn 3 next week .. and he’s been at nursery since he was 2. He used to love it , ran in no looking back , happy to be there. And after February half term he cries as soon as we get into the car park , cries walking all the way to the door and then once he’s in cries his eyes out 🥺 when I ring 10-15 mins later he’s fine. But I dread it every morning I have to drop him off 😭😭 it really makes me sad when he gets upset. Anyone else have any other problems like this ?
Not quite the same, but my son cried every day going to preschool from he started in September until the February. He had only stopped, then lockdown hit a month later 🤦🏻‍♀️
It is so hard to deal with, emotionally draining for both of you.
Has anything changed since half term? Did he move rooms, any key worker change, any changes at home?
It is great that he is happy once he is there, but so hard for you both each morning.

• Heart
Not quite the same, but my son cried every day going to preschool from he started in September until the February. He had only stopped, then lockdown hit a month later 🤦🏻‍♀️
It is so hard to deal with, emotionally draining for both of you.
Has anything changed since half term? Did he move rooms, any key worker change, any changes at home?
It is great that he is happy once he is there, but so hard for you both each morning.
Nothing has changed at home .. key worker hasn’t changed. He hasn’t changed anything there either ☹ So not sure where it’s coming from. But he did cry when I left him with my mum recently so thinking maybe it’s like separation anxiety ? Maybe he’s more intune than he used to be? Yours does sound similar. I’m not sure If the upheaval life is getting to him? As it’s been lockdown and then it feels like they’re only just back then it’s half term again as it’s a school based nursery. He’s non verbal as well so can’t tell me what’s the matter 🥺🥺🥺

• Heart
Nothing has changed at home .. key worker hasn’t changed. He hasn’t changed anything there either ☹ So not sure where it’s coming from. But he did cry when I left him with my mum recently so thinking maybe it’s like separation anxiety ? Maybe he’s more intune than he used to be? Yours does sound similar. I’m not sure If the upheaval life is getting to him? As it’s been lockdown and then it feels like they’re only just back then it’s half term again as it’s a school based nursery. He’s non verbal as well so can’t tell me what’s the matter 🥺🥺🥺
Oh that must be so hard with him not being able to express what’s wrong. That said, my son could never tell me why he was upset, even though he could vocalise. He didn’t seem to actually know what made him upset. But yes if he’s also upset being with family maybe it is separation anxiety. The book “the invisible string” is a lovely story which talks about how we are always connected even when we are apart. And I used to be very clear on “I will do X Y and Z and then I will be back for you”, not sure if that’s the right thing or not but I felt better letting him know I would be back after a set time.
To be honest we just persevered. Knowing he was happy when he got there meant it was a few minutes upset each day for hours of fun and that was worth the trade off for me. He was, and is, a very emotional child who cries quickly so I guess for us some of it was just personality.

Oh that must be so hard with him not being able to express what’s wrong. That said, my son could never tell me why he was upset, even though he could vocalise. He didn’t seem to actually know what made him upset. But yes if he’s also upset being with family maybe it is separation anxiety. The book “the invisible string” is a lovely story which talks about how we are always connected even when we are apart. And I used to be very clear on “I will do X Y and Z and then I will be back for you”, not sure if that’s the right thing or not but I felt better letting him know I would be back after a set time.
To be honest we just persevered. Knowing he was happy when he got there meant it was a few minutes upset each day for hours of fun and that was worth the trade off for me. He was, and is, a very emotional child who cries quickly so I guess for us some of it was just personality.
He is a bit of a softy. He absolutely loves being near me and sitting with me. He follows me everywhere and when we are off together he sits next to me and smiles at me a lot , and he loves cuddling me or holding my hand. . I can’t even have a wee on my own sometimes. I rang on Tuesday after dropping him off and by 930 he was fine playing with his favourite things. I’m hoping it’s just a phase and he’s just a bit sad about not spending the day with me. When I pick him up they always say he’s had a good day etc. that book sounds lovely I will have a look at it. When we got out the car I told him he was going to have a good day with his trucks and the sandpit/ water tray and going to have his favourite fish fingers and chips. Not sure it does any good but it makes me feel better 🥺

• Heart
Glad I’ve found this thread! I’m a mum to a 2 year old…. She would honestly nap so long if I would let her, she was having 3 hours still 😱 in January and we went on holiday and she kept waking up at 5.30am and I just put it down to being away etc.. anyway when we go back I cut her nap down to 2 hours and it worked, back to normal sleeping. She sleeps around 8pm to 6:30am generally which is perfect.

She is fine off 1 hour 30 but some days she still needs 2 hours if she’s had a really busy few days etc. I enjoy my time when she naps as I get to catch up on tv, BUT life will be easier when she doesn’t have a nap for days out etc. I think it’ll be ages before she drops napping though :(

Glad I’ve found this thread! I’m a mum to a 2 year old…. She would honestly nap so long if I would let her, she was having 3 hours still 😱 in January and we went on holiday and she kept waking up at 5.30am and I just put it down to being away etc.. anyway when we go back I cut her nap down to 2 hours and it worked, back to normal sleeping. She sleeps around 8pm to 6:30am generally which is perfect.

She is fine off 1 hour 30 but some days she still needs 2 hours if she’s had a really busy few days etc. I enjoy my time when she naps as I get to catch up on tv, BUT life will be easier when she doesn’t have a nap for days out etc. I think it’ll be ages before she drops napping though :(
All my older 3 have napped until over age 3. It can be hard organising days out when they need that rest in the middle of the day. Usually we try and get out first thing so we can have a few hours out then back for nap (being able to transfer from car to inside is very helpful!). I figure we have one summer left of big naps (baby is currently about to turn 1) and it will be great when we can head out at weekends and school holidays and not have to schedule round naps!

That said, trust me, the dropping to no nap is hard work some days, keep it as long as you can! I think my 3yo may pick them up again when she starts preschool in September, she finds it a long day with no nap.

Also.. to add.. my daughter used to have the BIGGEST meltdowns, over small stuff. Terrible twos for sure, in the last 2 months I’ve really tried to get down to her level and get her to speak to me when she’s frustrated so rather than getting frustrated with her when she’s crying or shouting etc I will say “mummy can’t understand you when you are screaming, speak to mummy and tell me what you want” , it’s really effective and works. I follow this amazing lady on tik tok about gentle parenting and alot of her techniques really work on my child. I know it isn’t for everyone as every child is different but it’s helped SO much defuse lots of tantrums and we hardly have any.

All my older 3 have napped until over age 3. It can be hard organising days out when they need that rest in the middle of the day. Usually we try and get out first thing so we can have a few hours out then back for nap (being able to transfer from car to inside is very helpful!). I figure we have one summer left of big naps (baby is currently about to turn 1) and it will be great when we can head out at weekends and school holidays and not have to schedule round naps!

That said, trust me, the dropping to no nap is hard work some days, keep it as long as you can! I think my 3yo may pick them up again when she starts preschool in September, she finds it a long day with no nap.
Yeah this is what I do. Generally we are out the door for days out by 8am and can have lunch out too and back for 12, asleep for half 12. My friends who have kids who dropped naps at 2 all don’t get it. Why would I force my child to stay awake over lunch so we can do something when she’s tired. I’d rather be out the door early and have chilled afternoon!! Anyway I better shush on that cos it winds me up haha.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.