Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@pinksunsetx91
Omg I could have written practically everything you said. Like everything!! This has brought me some comfort knowing I’m not the only one with an “active” toddler. We are actually in the process of possible ASD diagnosis and been accepted for SLT but on a waiting list. We just go to the toddler groups that are managed by the council so they’re free and I have found that the women who run them and even the other parents are so much more understanding and patient than the ones you pay for. I find those ones are full of snobs with perfect children that can do their 12 times tables by age 3! Lol
The one major blessing I have with all his active behaviour is that he sleeps so so well from like 7:30-7:30 but he is basically bedsharing so makes life a lot easier. Some people say that’s lazy parenting but actually we all love to cuddle and one day they won’t want to. Not “making a rod for my own back” as I’m pretty sure he won’t be asking to sleep in mummy’s bed when he’s 12! He is 3 months older than your boy so maybe it’s just the age they’re at!
I hope you don’t have to wait to long on the waiting list for SLT or on results of ASD diagnosis. It’s comforting when other people have been in similarly situations with their children you don’t feel so isolated. I do agree some groups can be snobby, one in particular I went to when he was a bit younger was just a competition of what their kids could do and I’m not into competing as kids are all different and do things at their own pace. Unfortunately the local council one in my area hasn’t reopened (covid). I agree with the bed sharing, my son has been in our bed a lot of nights during the night basically so we could all get some sleep and I don’t mind the snuggles. I am going to get him a toddler bed once husband has been paid to see if that helps as one of previous posters had suggested. It does sound like it’s just the age of our wee ones x

Reactions: 1
@pinksunsetx91
Omg I could have written practically everything you said. Like everything!! This has brought me some comfort knowing I’m not the only one with an “active” toddler. We are actually in the process of possible ASD diagnosis and been accepted for SLT but on a waiting list. We just go to the toddler groups that are managed by the council so they’re free and I have found that the women who run them and even the other parents are so much more understanding and patient than the ones you pay for. I find those ones are full of snobs with perfect children that can do their 12 times tables by age 3! Lol
The one major blessing I have with all his active behaviour is that he sleeps so so well from like 7:30-7:30 but he is basically bedsharing so makes life a lot easier. Some people say that’s lazy parenting but actually we all love to cuddle and one day they won’t want to. Not “making a rod for my own back” as I’m pretty sure he won’t be asking to sleep in mummy’s bed when he’s 12! He is 3 months older than your boy so maybe it’s just the age they’re at!
Not at all lazy parenting, we still co sleep with my 3 year old!! Don’t worry x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Don’t want to make a whole new thread for it but what are some of the best presents you’ve bought your 2 year old? My middle one is 2 in a few weeks and I’m running out of ideas. We have quite a large (and very generous!) family so they all ask for bits and bobs to get him so I feel like I’ve given all my best ideas away!

He’s heavy into paw patrol so we’re getting him the movie vehicles, we’ve bought him a scooter too with a seat attachment. Was also thinking some plastic scleich (?) animals as he’s really into playing farms/zoos etc and some books.

I know I don’t need to go mad but we’ve just had a new baby so my mum guilt is off the charts 😂

Don’t want to make a whole new thread for it but what are some of the best presents you’ve bought your 2 year old? My middle one is 2 in a few weeks and I’m running out of ideas. We have quite a large (and very generous!) family so they all ask for bits and bobs to get him so I feel like I’ve given all my best ideas away!

He’s heavy into paw patrol so we’re getting him the movie vehicles, we’ve bought him a scooter too with a seat attachment. Was also thinking some plastic scleich (?) animals as he’s really into playing farms/zoos etc and some books.

I know I don’t need to go mad but we’ve just had a new baby so my mum guilt is off the charts 😂
We ask for money, so that can go towards theme park passes for the future
Playdoh was a winner when mine turned 2. He loves playing with it. Also, what about a little art easel? We also asked for clothes, even though they are boring but at 2, they still don’t really understand? Do you have a trike/bike? Honestly, after Christmas I wouldn’t go too OTT!

Definitely Scleich, we adore ours. Other things that we love at that (or any!) age
- magnetic tiles like playmags
- orchard games (simple colour match ones for that age)
- balance bike
- lots of books
- train tracks
- jigsaws
- play doh and kinetic sand

Or if you have room you could ask people to give you money towards a big outdoor toy eg climbing frame, playhouse

Thank you ladies! All of above I’ve got on my list so think we’ll be ok, I just need to stop 😂 I literally said to myself don’t feel guilty for buying/asking for money towards farm/zoo/various memberships for him as I know he’ll enjoy that so much more than loads of toys (especially after Christmas) but you know when you just look at stuff and feel instant guilt 😂 we went so overboard for my eldest when he was 2 so really trying to reign it in!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thank you ladies! All of above I’ve got on my list so think we’ll be ok, I just need to stop 😂 I literally said to myself don’t feel guilty for buying/asking for money towards farm/zoo/various memberships for him as I know he’ll enjoy that so much more than loads of toys (especially after Christmas) but you know when you just look at stuff and feel instant guilt 😂 we went so overboard for my eldest when he was 2 so really trying to reign it in!
Tbh at that age mine are OVERJOYED with a wee pack of haribo, so that’s what they get, plus a book and a day out! I hate having too many toys in the house so we are very “minimalist” on that front

• Heart
Our middle is 6 next month, and is having a party that’s costing just over £300, but I have massive mum guilt over how many presents he’ll have, even though he’s barely touched his Christmas presents as all he plays is bloody PlayStation 🙄 Such a tough age!

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Best thing we ever bought at that age were the big over sized Lego style blocks - the ones that are the size of a real life building brick. We got them from Amazon and they have been played with to death! Inside and outside in the summer and are great for imagination play, coordination etc

What about money towards a farm park membership? we have done that for our local farm park as we go quite a lot in the summer a thought it would be beneficial

edit to say sorry seen someone had already suggested this

Last edited:
Best thing we ever bought at that age were the big over sized Lego style blocks - the ones that are the size of a real life building brick. We got them from Amazon and they have been played with to death! Inside and outside in the summer and are great for imagination play, coordination etc
This is such a good shout! My boys would love this. Thank you!

What about money towards a farm park membership? we have done that for our local farm park as we go quite a lot in the summer a thought it would be beneficial

edit to say sorry seen someone had already suggested this
Yeah I’m going on this basis definitely, going to need all the memberships as can see myself living out of my house with 3 of them at home most of the time until September! Thank you! Xx

• Heart

Wooden train tracks/brio train set.

When my son was two we asked for money and took him out for the day, and then we bought him an art easel which he promptly ignored!

FB marketplace is a goldmine for Paw Patrol toys, most of my sons collection is from there.

Reactions: 2
for my little boys 2nd bday we’re going to get him a learning tower for the kitchen to start doing a lot of baking and cooking together! Not cheap but if you’ve got family willing to chip in that could be another good idea!

Reactions: 5
Thinking about getting my nearly 4 year old a kids tablet for her birthday for doing things like Reading Eggs. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thinking about getting my nearly 4 year old a kids tablet for her birthday for doing things like Reading Eggs. Does anyone have any recommendations?
We got the Amazon fire tablet for our 5 year old at Christmas. They do one for 3-7 year olds and also an older one (I think 6-10 year olds) we went with the 6-10 and he loves it and it’s so easy to use

We got the Amazon fire tablet for our 5 year old at Christmas. They do one for 3-7 year olds and also an older one (I think 6-10 year olds) we went with the 6-10 and he loves it and it’s so easy to use
Can you get things like Netflix on them?

I know it might sound a silly question but what makes them a kids tablet? 😂
Is it restricted apps ect?

Can you get things like Netflix on them?

I know it might sound a silly question but what makes them a kids tablet? 😂
Is it restricted apps ect?
Netflix, youtube, Disney+, loads of games! You connect is to your Amazon account. It’s got a camera, they can call you through the alexas if you have one, and much cheaper than an iPad! It also come with a case. Would 100% recommend. Think they’re about £100 on Amazon?

Netflix, youtube, Disney+, loads of games! You connect is to your Amazon account. It’s got a camera, they can call you through the alexas if you have one, and much cheaper than an iPad! It also come with a case. Would 100% recommend. Think they’re about £100 on Amazon?
Yeah! Amazon fire is the one I was looking at mainly.

My partner isn't very convinced on the idea.
She starts school in September and I thought things like Reading Eggs and other things would be a great help.
She uses an old phone for long journeys for Netflix so I thought it'd cover that too because it would all be on there!

Yeah! Amazon fire is the one I was looking at mainly.

My partner isn't very convinced on the idea.
She starts school in September and I thought things like Reading Eggs and other things would be a great help.
She uses an old phone for long journeys for Netflix so I thought it'd cover that too because it would all be on there!
Just checked, and as far as I can see, there’s no app, but you can go on it via the web browser
Honestly, it’s a game changer!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.