Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Any advice for weaning off the dummy šŸ˜… my little boy is 2 next month and I really want it gone. Heā€™s obsessed like he has a dummy then holds another dummy. He only has it at naptime or when he sleeps though, but he has to lie there holding them both. Sometimes if he is really badly teething or not well Iā€™ll let him have a dummy if he is really upset but he doesnā€™t really have it when heā€™s awake! Thank you!
I made her give it to the Easter bunny. It was 2 nights of sheer hell I had to drive to Wigan to get her asleep but after 2 days she realised she was a big girl and didnā€™t have a dummy anymore

ETA she was 2 and a half at this point I tried at Christmas when she was 2 years 2 months and I couldnā€™t cope šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ @watermelon sugar

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
I was really lucky with my middle son. A couple of months after his 2nd birthday said he didnā€™t want to wear nappies and then not long after that he got a sore throat, which was being made worse with the dummies and gave them up. My 2 year old is not interested in giving up nappies, dummies or his cot šŸ˜­

I knew it was a hormone but I keep seeing people say at 3 ect they're out at nights and wondering if there was anything I could do to encourage it.
She's been dry in the day since just after she was 2. So it's been quite a while!

Thank you though!
My daughter was 4 in October and absolutely not where near being dry at night. I try not to worry about it and figure she will get there in her own time.

Reactions: 1
Any advice for weaning off the dummy šŸ˜… my little boy is 2 next month and I really want it gone. Heā€™s obsessed like he has a dummy then holds another dummy. He only has it at naptime or when he sleeps though, but he has to lie there holding them both. Sometimes if he is really badly teething or not well Iā€™ll let him have a dummy if he is really upset but he doesnā€™t really have it when heā€™s awake! Thank you!
We bargained a paw patrol transporter for the dummies. 2 nights of loooots of whinging before bed and that was that, I think he was like 2y2m or something. I was so impressed! Weā€™ve just had to do the same for my 2 year old bottle addict who chewed through his last teat (no I am not spending Ā£6 per 2 MAM bottle teatsšŸ™ƒ) and heā€™s adapted so much quicker than I thought he would and there wasnā€™t even any bargaining needed. Sometimes they deffo surprise you!

Moonbaby from Moon and Me took our binkies. Everything was fine until a few weeks later when littlepotato was FUMING that he saw moon baby on the tv without a binkie.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Moonbaby from Moon and Me took our binkies. Everything was fine until a few weeks later when littlepotato was FUMING that he saw moon baby on the tv without a binkie.
can we just take a moment for moon & me? I love that show šŸ¤£ hush hush says the mooooon itā€™s timeā€¦to go ā€¦.To sleeeeep

• Heart
Oh Moon & Me is so cute. My daughter still seems to prefer In The Night Garden to anything else though. Aside from that, she wants to watch Superworm and ā€˜Cindererraā€™ over and over. My older children arenā€™t impressedā€¦

• Heart
I love Moon and Me so much, especially the Michael Buble guest appearance!

Oh Moon & Me is so cute. My daughter still seems to prefer In The Night Garden to anything else though. Aside from that, she wants to watch Superworm and ā€˜Cindererraā€™ over and over. My older children arenā€™t impressedā€¦
Littlepotato is 4 so itā€™s all paw patrol, blaze and Lego Batman over here. He loves Wall-E and Wreck it Ralph too. When he was little it was smallpotatoes (hence my old username!) and moon and me! Mr Tumble is royalty in this house šŸ˜¤

• Wow
  • Heart

Littlepotato is 4 so itā€™s all paw patrol, blaze and Lego Batman over here. He loves Wall-E and Wreck it Ralph too. When he was little it was smallpotatoes (hence my old username!) and moon and me! Mr Tumble is royalty in this house šŸ˜¤
I hate Mr tumble šŸ˜‚

She does love Blaze though!

• Haha

Michael buble guest appearance! My eyes have been opened! My FIL loves my moon and me, think itā€™s his favourite part of seeing his grandkids tbfā€¦ā€¦..

• Haha
Same but the odd time I do find Lord Tumble quite funny šŸ˜‚
Aunt Polly fan over here!

Michael buble guest appearance! My eyes have been opened! My FIL loves my moon and me, think itā€™s his favourite part of seeing his grandkids tbfā€¦ā€¦..
I was sat there one night going, ā€œsurely it canā€™t be?ā€ & husband who is an absolute metal/punk head yet LOVES Michael buble confirmed it

I hate Mr tumble šŸ˜‚

She does love Blaze though!
šŸŽ¤ BLAZE AND THE MONSTER MAAAAACHINESSSS LETS GO šŸ‘ŠšŸ»

I swear the GO GO GO GO GO from the bit when Paw Patrol get in their cars makes me want to kick a door off its hinges. Itā€™s that powerful

• Haha
Reactions: 3
May I just ask for some advice about encouraging a child to be more flexible? My toddler has just started nursery. Sheā€™s just turned 2 and the main reason Iā€™ve started her so early is that she really needs the stimulation. However, she will only drink out of one cup. She is very ā€˜fixedā€™ about how she wants things. I need her to be able to drink out of a sports cup really. Otherwise this usual cup will spill over her stuff because it doesnā€™t have a lid.

We have a lot of autism in our family and she seems to have hyperlexia (counting to 20 already and can recognise letters) so maybe sheā€™s on the spectrum but equally her social skills seem fine and she asks why questions. Iā€™m guessing that nursery will tell me if they think anything needs investigation.

Any ideas on encouraging her to try new things?

May I just ask for some advice about encouraging a child to be more flexible? My toddler has just started nursery. Sheā€™s just turned 2 and the main reason Iā€™ve started her so early is that she really needs the stimulation. However, she will only drink out of one cup. She is very ā€˜fixedā€™ about how she wants things. I need her to be able to drink out of a sports cup really. Otherwise this usual cup will spill over her stuff because it doesnā€™t have a lid.

We have a lot of autism in our family and she seems to have hyperlexia (counting to 20 already and can recognise letters) so maybe sheā€™s on the spectrum but equally her social skills seem fine and she asks why questions. Iā€™m guessing that nursery will tell me if they think anything needs investigation.

Try removing the particular cup completely so itā€™s not an option? See how she reacts - but donā€™t make an issue of it or even mention it. Just give her a different cup and carry on what you are doing, see what happens.

• Heart

Iā€™d always go ā€œyou canā€™t have X, but you can have Y or Z insteadā€. Admittedly itā€™s not with cups, but usually with food. Has she started nursery yet?

When you say a lot of autism in the family, how much? My husband is in the spectrum with his sensory processing and Iā€™m currently under investigation for ADHD.

• Heart
Iā€™d always go ā€œyou canā€™t have X, but you can have Y or Z insteadā€. Admittedly itā€™s not with cups, but usually with food. Has she started nursery yet?

When you say a lot of autism in the family, how much? My husband is in the spectrum with his sensory processing and Iā€™m currently under investigation for ADHD.
Iā€™m autistic and I also have two autistic girls and one who is NT. She started nursery on Friday. She did really well and managed for 2 hours before she got tearful. Of all my children she is the most clingy do I think this was a good start.

Iā€™m autistic and I also have two autistic girls and one who is NT. She started nursery on Friday. She did really well and managed for 2 hours before she got tearful. Of all my children she is the most clingy do I think this was a good start.
That sounds like she did really well!

• Heart

Personally, I think toddlers are naturally not flexible. They like what they like and thatā€™s that. In my experience, they arenā€™t overly willing to try new things, but that could just be my own kids who are quiet, not overly outgoing etc.
I donā€™t have any experience with autism in toddlers, my experience lies with teens. But that experience tells me that the choice to change needs to 100% come from them and if sheā€™s really attached it may not work for her to take to a new cup. Could you instead offer solutions that allow her to keep the cup while limiting spills? Again my experience is of older kids but meeting them where they are, rather than trying to get them to come to me has always been the priority (Iā€™m a teacher so itā€™s things like using certain pens, sitting in a certain place etc) So eg the cup is only allowed in this room and and must be kept here (maybe a visual of her own coaster for it?) maybe that sheā€™s only allowed to drink from it using both hands while sitting/standing still. That doesnā€™t help when out and about of course

• Heart
Personally, I think toddlers are naturally not flexible. They like what they like and thatā€™s that. In my experience, they arenā€™t overly willing to try new things, but that could just be my own kids who are quiet, not overly outgoing etc.
I donā€™t have any experience with autism in toddlers, my experience lies with teens. But that experience tells me that the choice to change needs to 100% come from them and if sheā€™s really attached it may not work for her to take to a new cup. Could you instead offer solutions that allow her to keep the cup while limiting spills? Again my experience is of older kids but meeting them where they are, rather than trying to get them to come to me has always been the priority (Iā€™m a teacher so itā€™s things like using certain pens, sitting in a certain place etc) So eg the cup is only allowed in this room and and must be kept here (maybe a visual of her own coaster for it?) maybe that sheā€™s only allowed to drink from it using both hands while sitting/standing still. That doesnā€™t help when out and about of course
Thank you for your replies. Iā€™m not going to push anything - youā€™re right. Itā€™s a case of pick your battles isnā€™t it? After all, sheā€™s still very young. Weā€™ll just go with it I guess. Sheā€™s not very keen to drop her milk, yet either. I give her toddler milk which is suitable for up to age 3. Her dad is pressing me about stopping the milk and pressing me about potty training. I told him Iā€™m not making any other changes until sheā€™s settled at nursery.

Thank you for your replies. Iā€™m not going to push anything - youā€™re right. Itā€™s a case of pick your battles isnā€™t it? After all, sheā€™s still very young. Weā€™ll just go with it I guess. Sheā€™s not very keen to drop her milk, yet either. I give her toddler milk which is suitable for up to age 3. Her dad is pressing me about stopping the milk and pressing me about potty training. I told him Iā€™m not making any other changes until sheā€™s settled at nursery.
My son still drinks milk and heā€™s 4.5. Green top milk that is. It was all he drank until he started school and now he asks for apple juice, squash and tea.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.