Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Littlepotato just got a kindle fire, it’s really good. He use to carry around my iPad Pro and I hated it!

Reactions: 2
Thinking about getting my nearly 4 year old a kids tablet for her birthday for doing things like Reading Eggs. Does anyone have any recommendations?
We have the kids kindle fire. She loves it!

@WhatABore im really strict with what littlepotato viewed and plays with, so I was surprised that the kindle fire has to be always connected to wifi to work. I’m very tech savvy (I only have apple stuff!) so I’m not sure how I thought it worked! You can set limits for how long they spend on there. Littlepotato only has his at weekends, so I set it to be “on” between 2pm-5pm. He LOVES the Toca games.

@WhatABore im really strict with what littlepotato viewed and plays with, so I was surprised that the kindle fire has to be always connected to wifi to work. I’m very tech savvy (I only have apple stuff!) so I’m not sure how I thought it worked! You can set limits for how long they spend on there. Littlepotato only has his at weekends, so I set it to be “on” between 2pm-5pm. He LOVES the Toca games.
Yeah, I intend to keep it set to certain times anyway.

Curious about it needed WiFi though as she likes to watch Netflix in the car on long journeys 🤔

Curious about it needed WiFi though as she likes to watch Netflix in the car on long journeys 🤔
My husband has a kindle fire (not a kids’ one 🤣) and he downloads what he wants on the Netflix app before we travel

Reactions: 1

You should be able to download. I’ll check tomorrow for you. Remind me if I don’t reply 😂

Can you get things like Netflix on them?

I know it might sound a silly question but what makes them a kids tablet? 😂
Is it restricted apps ect?
They have a robust case . And are more expensive.

I got my young one an alba android tablet from argos. They watch a bit YouTube and use the purple mash

You can download a certain amount that you can watch without WiFi. We do it with MiniGlenCoco when we do long journeys. Think we had about 6 different programmes and about 5 episodes (depending on length of episodes etc).

We've also got Disney Plus and Amazon Prime on her tablet that you can also download from so that she cam watch without WiFi.

Just make sure that everything is downloaded and working before you set off. Many times we've forgotten and it's been a nightmare 🙈 although you can use the hot spot on your phone but it is very slow

You can download a certain amount that you can watch without WiFi. We do it with MiniGlenCoco when we do long journeys. Think we had about 6 different programmes and about 5 episodes (depending on length of episodes etc).

We've also got Disney Plus and Amazon Prime on her tablet that you can also download from so that she cam watch without WiFi.

Just make sure that everything is downloaded and working before you set off. Many times we've forgotten and it's been a nightmare 🙈 although you can use the hot spot on your phone but it is very slow
Yeah we do that already with the old phone she uses in the car. Have a bunch of stuff on Disney and netflex predownloaded. It's great until you drive off and realise they all need redownloading 😂.

@nurseren mentioned that the kindle fire can't be used without WiFi.
Which I know some things are that way. That you can't even access apps ect without WiFi connection.

So if that's the same, you wouldn't even be able to access the tablet and apps without being connected 🤔

Yeah we do that already with the old phone she uses in the car. Have a bunch of stuff on Disney and netflex predownloaded. It's great until you drive off and realise they all need redownloading 😂.

@nurseren mentioned that the kindle fire can't be used without WiFi.
Which I know some things are that way. That you can't even access apps ect without WiFi connection.

So if that's the same, you wouldn't even be able to access the tablet and apps without being connected 🤔
Ah sorry I've read half a conversation and just jumped in with my big mouth 🙈

MiniGlenCoco's tablet is the Amazon Fire tablet for kids though so not sure if that's the same as what @nurserewas talking about?

Ah sorry I've read half a conversation and just jumped in with my big mouth 🙈

MiniGlenCoco's tablet is the Amazon Fire tablet for kids though so not sure if that's the same as what @nurserewas talking about?
Yeah that's the one.
It works fine for Netflix downloads and stuff?

Tbh I’m not hugely impressed with the kindle fire, and I’m pleased I got it second hand rather than brand new on Black Friday. My plan was to always have it off line and use it as a “learning toy”, but that’s not the way. Littlepotato loves YouTube kids and it doesn’t load great on the kindle. However the apps and games are really fun. For example we are in the hospital this week and I’ve got the iPad with Disney+ movies on there, and the kindle fire can’t connect to the hospital wifi.

you do need an Amazon kids subscription; it’s £1.49 a month but I’ve just remembered we got it for free as we got littlepotato a kids Alexa for Christmas. The kids Alexa is really good!

Yeah that's the one.
It works fine for Netflix downloads and stuff?
Yeah we've always used it out when we're out and either connected to WiFi or just used the offline feature where we've downloaded stuff for her to watch on Netflix, Disney or Amazon Prime.

I do agree with @nurseren about not being too impressed with the kids Kindle Fire though as ours is only 3 years old but it is very slow and clunky and I get so frustrated with it. It could just be ours as we had a few issues getting it set up etc but we are looking to get an ipad or a different type of tablet (for everyone to use not just MiniGlenCoco).

We're very lucky that at the moment she only seems to want to watch Frozen or a couple of programmes on Netflix so she only uses it for long car journeys. We don't have any games or apps on it so I can't comment on those.

You could always connect it to your phone personal hotspot (if you have iphone and enough data )

We got our little girl a very cheap 2nd generation ipad second hand on ebay, but it was in great condition and when we had minor issue with something they were more than happy for us to send back and fix at no extra cost.

Worth looking into that as well.

Yeah we've always used it out when we're out and either connected to WiFi or just used the offline feature where we've downloaded stuff for her to watch on Netflix, Disney or Amazon Prime.

I do agree with @nurseren about not being too impressed with the kids Kindle Fire though as ours is only 3 years old but it is very slow and clunky and I get so frustrated with it. It could just be ours as we had a few issues getting it set up etc but we are looking to get an ipad or a different type of tablet (for everyone to use not just MiniGlenCoco).

We're very lucky that at the moment she only seems to want to watch Frozen or a couple of programmes on Netflix so she only uses it for long car journeys. We don't have any games or apps on it so I can't comment on those.
When you said miniGlencoco yesterday, I thought it was some kind of kids programme that had brought out their own tablet called MiniGlenCoco, until I’ve just seen your username 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
How do you choose a nursery when it’s hard to actually view them because of Covid?

My daughter started a few weeks ago and I’m not happy with it and I’m going to move her. They always promise to send me photos of her and they never do, she often comes out with the wrong stuff wearing the wrong coat, even though I’ve named everything twice. And they’ve asked me not to bring her in because they don’t have enough staff to look after her tomorrow. Also the parents are irresponsible. The week before last, the nursery had to close because 14 children had a sick bug and parents were sending them in ill.

I know everything is harder because of covid. But I get the distinct impression that some places see it as an excuse to be sloppy. I just don’t remember having any of these issues with my other three children.

• Wow
  • Sad
Soz in advance for the mumsnet length of this question and the answer is probably really obvious but we are STRUGGLING with our 2 year old and bed time. He could be the most tired human on earth and he’ll still piss around for hours before going to sleep (Mr Sailor has cooked us a lovely romantic meal tonight and we ended up eating at 9:30 because he took so long to settle despite getting him bathed etc and in bed by 7:30)!

We have cut back his nap to 1-1.5 hours ending at 3pm and no later, he has to have a nap otherwise his night time sleep is atrocious and his day time attitude is ratty as hell from about 1pm onwards. He has no screens easily from about 4pm, tbh probably earlier if any at all if we’re out all day. No sugary snacks/anything that I’d say would make him hyperactive, especially in the evening. We attempt to wear him out as much as possible with a couple of hours of fresh air at least in the day, keeping him stimulated etc. It’s not even a case of him going to bed too early, he usually wakes for the day anytime from 7 onwards and he is usually “knackered” by 6 so we start bedtime then.

Our routine is:
5pm - dinner
6pm - up to bed, bit of playtime while I get everything sorted for bed, bath, book, listen to a short audiobook in bed, then bedtime meditation/mindfulness on the yoto box, then lights out and sleep time

My eldest goes to bed beautifully but my 2yo is just standing up, throwing his duvet covers off, trying to get out of bed, jumping up and down trying to wake his brother up etc etc. HEEEEELP! We’ve just had a baby so sorting him one handed his tricky as. Any advice pls help 🥴

• Heart
Could you maybe start and end his nap earlier? Let him sleep from 1pm - 2pm? And no sleep past 2pm? And then after a few days maybe try and get him to sleep at 12noon until 1pm?

When MiniGlenCoco was acting like this it was because she had had too much sleep during the day and eventually we had to drop her nap. It was awful for the first couple of days, she was ratty by 5pm but when we put her to bed she would fall asleep straight away.

Soz in advance for the mumsnet length of this question and the answer is probably really obvious but we are STRUGGLING with our 2 year old and bed time. He could be the most tired human on earth and he’ll still piss around for hours before going to sleep (Mr Sailor has cooked us a lovely romantic meal tonight and we ended up eating at 9:30 because he took so long to settle despite getting him bathed etc and in bed by 7:30)!

We have cut back his nap to 1-1.5 hours ending at 3pm and no later, he has to have a nap otherwise his night time sleep is atrocious and his day time attitude is ratty as hell from about 1pm onwards. He has no screens easily from about 4pm, tbh probably earlier if any at all if we’re out all day. No sugary snacks/anything that I’d say would make him hyperactive, especially in the evening. We attempt to wear him out as much as possible with a couple of hours of fresh air at least in the day, keeping him stimulated etc. It’s not even a case of him going to bed too early, he usually wakes for the day anytime from 7 onwards and he is usually “knackered” by 6 so we start bedtime then.

Our routine is:
5pm - dinner
6pm - up to bed, bit of playtime while I get everything sorted for bed, bath, book, listen to a short audiobook in bed, then bedtime meditation/mindfulness on the yoto box, then lights out and sleep time

My eldest goes to bed beautifully but my 2yo is just standing up, throwing his duvet covers off, trying to get out of bed, jumping up and down trying to wake his brother up etc etc. HEEEEELP! We’ve just had a baby so sorting him one handed his tricky as. Any advice pls help 🥴
Is this just a recent thing? If so, he might be practising a skill or skills and his brain is telling him he needs to be awake to keep practicing.

I find that sometimes putting a child on a swing can help them wind down a little bit better than a walk.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.