Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When did everyone move their LOs into their own room?

Just wondering really...I've seen some people do it at 4, 6 and 12 months and others 2 years.

Personally, my LB is still with us but we will be looking to transition into his own room very soon
My daughter was 6 months and it was the best thing I did as she kept waking up when her Dad was getting up for work😫 I had a breathing mat and monitor though as I was a very anxious first time mum. With that being said, we moved house when she was 1 and new surroundings doesn’t phase her really. As long as it’s “similar” to home I think she’s ok. Going from cot to toddler bed to single bed hasn’t been hard either!

Just wondering really...I've seen some people do it at 4, 6 and 12 months and others 2 years.

Personally, my LB is still with us but we will be looking to transition into his own room very soon
Eldest 9 months
Second 21 months
Third 2yrs but she still sleeps in a double with my husband at 3.5

Reactions: 1
For me it’s all about when they sleep through the night consistently. So
1st born 9 months
2nd born 6 months
3rd born 6 months
4th is 16 months old and is in our room, alternates between sleeping in king size bed and cot bed by the side of bed. He’s very wakeful, so can’t be getting up 10 odd times a night & it would disturb the others.

Reactions: 3
My little one went in his own room at 5 months he was too big for his Moses by then and he lasted til 10 months in his own room then wouldn’t sleep without me. He’s 3 now and only just will sleep in his big boy bed 🥺 it’s been tough but I have a physical job ( I walk 12 miles a day) I couldn’t be arsed being up 6 times a night with him 😂😂

When she was 3 but only cos of our living situation. She slept in my bed before that, but once we moved house and I got her room set up I put her in it. She’ll go to sleep in it but she’ll wake up at some point and climb in with me, which I don’t mind.

Reactions: 2
From memory I think my little girl was about 5 months when she went into her own room. She was such a noisy sleeper it kept me awake so we moved her early and touch wood, barring illness, she's been fine since :LOL:

Well I say fine. Sleep is a nightmare at the moment. She sleeps through but getting her off is awful and she wakes at the crack of dawn :sleep:

My boy is 15 months and he had a viral infection about 5 weeks now, constant runny nose, congested, chesty cough (he’s been checked by numerous doctors and there’s no infection or anything to worry about) we’ve spent a small fortune on OTC medicines but nothing seems to be helping.
he wakes 4-5 times a night, screaming and crying, I worry it’s cause he can’t breath properly and he panics. For fear of sounding selfish here My husband and I are seriously exhausted from no sleep, he’s super clingy all day aswell so I can’t keep up with the housework, it’s all getting on top of me and I’m worried il break at some point! I work part time too in a hospital and work days & night shifts so as you can imagine it’s hardwork! Just wondered if anyone else’s little one has had a viral infection and how long was it before they started to feel better?
I feel bad for him because he’s off his food, drinking more milk & just generally not himself, I really want him to start feeling better so he can enjoy his days rather than just crying all day and being unhappy. 😫 I hate seeing him like this, I feel so helpless

• Heart
My boy is 15 months and he had a viral infection about 5 weeks now, constant runny nose, congested, chesty cough (he’s been checked by numerous doctors and there’s no infection or anything to worry about) we’ve spent a small fortune on OTC medicines but nothing seems to be helping.
he wakes 4-5 times a night, screaming and crying, I worry it’s cause he can’t breath properly and he panics. For fear of sounding selfish here My husband and I are seriously exhausted from no sleep, he’s super clingy all day aswell so I can’t keep up with the housework, it’s all getting on top of me and I’m worried il break at some point! I work part time too in a hospital and work days & night shifts so as you can imagine it’s hardwork! Just wondered if anyone else’s little one has had a viral infection and how long was it before they started to feel better?
I feel bad for him because he’s off his food, drinking more milk & just generally not himself, I really want him to start feeling better so he can enjoy his days rather than just crying all day and being unhappy. 😫 I hate seeing him like this, I feel so helpless
Have they said anything about his adenoids? My eldest was like this and she had them taken out

Sorry I don’t have any answers. I’ve not had to deal with a single illness run on that long but we have had several cold/viral infections over 6 weeks at a time and it is such hard work. You’re doing so much and it doesn’t mean you’re selfish to say you’re exhausted!

Basically what jellybean said, are his tonsils really big/bigger than normal? Or have they mentioned his adenoids? My middle suffers severe sleep obstructive apnea and one of the classic symptoms is waking up screaming in the night because not being able to breathe so their brain wakes them up suddenly. What’s his breathing like while he’s asleep? Does he snore loudly? Sorry so many questions!

Basically what jellybean said, are his tonsils really big/bigger than normal? Or have they mentioned his adenoids? My middle suffers severe sleep obstructive apnea and one of the classic symptoms is waking up screaming in the night because not being able to breathe so their brain wakes them up suddenly. What’s his breathing like while he’s asleep? Does he snore loudly? Sorry so many questions!
Funny you say this actually, cause yeah he does snore loudly, it sounds rattly. He’s asleep as we speak in the car seat and it’s awful, and that’s him asleep propped up, he’s worse at night! His doctor really doesn’t want to do anything to help him, he said he will see him again in 6 months time to check he’s ok and that’s it!
I did wonder if it was maybe asthma or sleep apnea! Which is Scary to think about! Is it quite common in toddlers?

Funny you say this actually, cause yeah he does snore loudly, it sounds rattly. He’s asleep as we speak in the car seat and it’s awful, and that’s him asleep propped up, he’s worse at night! His doctor really doesn’t want to do anything to help him, he said he will see him again in 6 months time to check he’s ok and that’s it!
I did wonder if it was maybe asthma or sleep apnea! Which is Scary to think about! Is it quite common in toddlers?
My toddler is at his worst propped up or on his side even though actually it’s meant to help clear the airways - it deffo doesn’t! Film him asleep next time and especially if he stops breathing for long pauses/wakes up coughing and spluttering etc so you can show your GP. If you’re concerned then push for an ENT referral and they will do a sleep study (just an oximeter on his toe while he’s asleep), most toddlers if they have it only suffer mildly so don’t need their tonsils/adenoids removing and it won’t affect their daily lives but if it’s severe then you’ll probably find he’s more tired in the day, behaviour is a bit erratic and grumpy, wakes up loads at night etc and they’ll want to know about it! I’m not sure if it’s common or not, I’m not sure it’s common to have it severely though as a toddler. I know that people laugh off snoring in toddlers but actually it’s not normal (I used to joke about my 18mo snoring like a dog 🤣) It’s better to get him on the system now as ENT appointments are like gold dust (at least they are where I am!) and most kids aren’t seen until they’re 3+! 😩

Sorry this is so long but just wanted to say that OSA is nothing to worry about in the short term, it’s terrifying watching them sleep but nothing bad is going to happen to them. The longer term affects if really quite bad though so definitely keep going back to your GP and push it if you’re concerned! Xx

At my wits end with what to do with my daughter's sleep 😭 😭
We've tried everything and she takes at least an hour, if not longer to go to sleep at night. We've tried no nap at all, short nap (1hr), long naps (2hr plus), early bedtime, late bedtime, nothing makes a difference. It's always gone 8pm by the time she goes down. I wouldn't mind but she's up at 5.30/6 and clearly still shattered.
When we put her down just lays there chatting and singing, perfectly happily at first, then after about half hour or so she gets what I assume is overtired and starts to whine and cry.
It does my head in, my partner thinks I'm stressing over nothing but I can't relax until she's asleep.
We just put her in her cot and leave, there's no interaction from us once the lights are out and she's put to bed, so I doubt it's for attention. This has been going on for months.
Just don't know what to do anymore :unsure:

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
We've tried everything and she takes at least an hour, if not longer to go to sleep at night. We've tried no nap at all, short nap (1hr), long naps (2hr plus), early bedtime, late bedtime, nothing makes a difference. It's always gone 8pm by the time she goes down. I wouldn't mind but she's up at 5.30/6 and clearly still shattered.
When we put her down just lays there chatting and singing, perfectly happily at first, then after about half hour or so she gets what I assume is overtired and starts to whine and cry.
It does my head in, my partner thinks I'm stressing over nothing but I can't relax until she's asleep.
We just put her in her cot and leave, there's no interaction from us once the lights are out and she's put to bed, so I doubt it's for attention. This has been going on for months.
The only thing I would suggest is putting her to bed earlier ? My little boy goes to sleep between 630&7 and he doesn’t have a nap and he’s up between 6&7am. I take him up for a bath at 545. Worth a try. Maybe she’s too over tired that’s why it’s taking so long. If she’s up at 530:6 it’s a long time til 8pm x

What about staying with her to see if she’d go to sleep quicker that way? Once she gets upset it is presumably harder for her to then get to sleep, so maybe having you there the whole time would soothe her and relax her enough to drift off?

What about staying with her to see if she’d go to sleep quicker that way? Once she gets upset it is presumably harder for her to then get to sleep, so maybe having you there the whole time would soothe her and relax her enough to drift off?
I know this is going to sound really awful but I don't want to start a slippery slope of her needing me there? I guess I just worry that once I start that, it will never stop, and she'll not settle for her grandparents etc (because they definitely would not be willing to sit with her for half an hour or whatever..) She may have changed but in the past us being there just made her act silly, blowing raspberries and poking our faces etc. But I'm so desperate, I'll try anything!

The only thing I would suggest is putting her to bed earlier ? My little boy goes to sleep between 630&7 and he doesn’t have a nap and he’s up between 6&7am. I take him up for a bath at 545. Worth a try. Maybe she’s too over tired that’s why it’s taking so long. If she’s up at 530:6 it’s a long time til 8pm x
Thanks, this was my thinking but on the occasions I have tried an early bed, it still takes til nearly 8 to fall asleep.

This was today's schedule:

Wake at approx 7.20am (she stirred about 5.30 but must have gone back off with no trouble as I didn't hear any more)
Nap at 12.45 - 2pm
Bath at 5.45 after dinner
CBeebies until 6.30pm
Upstairs for teeth brushing, pyjamas and a story.
Now it's at this point she starts to run around like a loon, full of energy and hyper.
Calm her down, maybe have another story, bed at 6.50pm

Because of my social anxiety I don't take her out to soft play or any playgroups or anything, so the most exercise she gets is playing in the garden, so I'm wondering if this is all my fault? She's not been to childcare in almost two weeks as her minder is on holiday, but she spent lots of time playing with her cousins over half term.

She's still awake now 😭

I know this is going to sound really awful but I don't want to start a slippery slope of her needing me there? I guess I just worry that once I start that, it will never stop, and she'll not settle for her grandparents etc (because they definitely would not be willing to sit with her for half an hour or whatever..) She may have changed but in the past us being there just made her act silly, blowing raspberries and poking our faces etc. But I'm so desperate, I'll try anything!
I felt the same as you. Sitting with ours never worked, just prolonged everything! The only thing that worked was doing a really early bedtime, like if she’s up at 5.30am then aim to put her in bed for that time in the evening, really like 5.30-6pm any later and they’ll be over tired. I know there’s a worry she will wake up even earlier but ours didn’t. It just means she may sleep longer and not be as grumpy, so each night you can start pushing it back by say 15 minutes at a time. Eventually we got back to 7-7ish.

Thanks, this was my thinking but on the occasions I have tried an early bed, it still takes til nearly 8 to fall asleep.

This was today's schedule:

Wake at approx 7.20am (she stirred about 5.30 but must have gone back off with no trouble as I didn't hear any more)
Nap at 12.45 - 2pm
Bath at 5.45 after dinner
CBeebies until 6.30pm
Upstairs for teeth brushing, pyjamas and a story.
Now it's at this point she starts to run around like a loon, full of energy and hyper.
Calm her down, maybe have another story, bed at 6.50pm

Because of my social anxiety I don't take her out to soft play or any playgroups or anything, so the most exercise she gets is playing in the garden, so I'm wondering if this is all my fault? She's not been to childcare in almost two weeks as her minder is on holiday, but she spent lots of time playing with her cousins over half term.

She's still awake now 😭
Can you try taking her to the park before tea time? Will she fall sleep on the way back if you drive there ?
I would try taking her up to bed even earlier. Like 6pm!?
Tonight mine went to sleep at 645. I took him up at 615. He was really tired tho he’s been up since 7am and we went to the park this morning and he’s been in the garden and danced to little baby bum. He moans quite a bit between 4-6 pm but it’s manageable. Definitely try taking her up even earlier. I don’t have any other suggestions 😞. I lie with mine to get to sleep but he’s more relaxed that way and I don’t mind doing it. Whatever works for you
ETA can you get her to stop running round before bed ? As she’s probably hyped up?

I’m with you on that. I like my evenings and putting them to bed and coming down. I’ve never sat with any of mine. If they were fussing, they would all stay in their rooms
I can hear my toddler messing upstairs now, but he won’t get out of bed. He’ll just chat to himself/brother until he falls asleep

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.