Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We have Bluey bedding and dinosaur bedding, two of her favourites so I am hoping that helps :LOL:
I guess my main concern is the getting out of bed and playing silly buggers but once the novelty wears off I'm sure it will be fine. Think we may try soon, once I get over my nerves :ROFLMAO:
We always had a baby gate on the bedroom door at this stage and kept the room pretty bland - no toys, just teddies on the bed and some books and a night light and grow clock. We kept toys out so that the bedroom would be associated with sleeping and not playing. Gate on the door kept them in the room so they weren’t tempted to explore at night alone or creep into our bed. If they got up they would stand and shout for us so we would go to them, put them back into bed and out again. It takes patience and perseverance; you have to consistently put them back to their own bed if they wake up. The moment you cave and take them to your bed or get up with them at some unholy hour of the morning you are back at square one again!!!!!

Reactions: 6
Question for those of you with experience of toddlers. Have a 2 year old staying over the weekend. Was told by mum that they’re a good eater with a list of foods they love but currently not finding that to be the case and worried they’re not eating enough. Today they’ve managed a crumpet, a little bit of cheese, half a bag of crisps, 2 chips and a bag of iced gems.

Also worried that most of the above has little nutritional value. Have tried fruit and vegetables, pasta etc. they’re being refused.

Is there anything you would recommend to try that is a crowd pleaser?

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Question for those of you with experience of toddlers. Have a 2 year old staying over the weekend. Was told by mum that they’re a good eater with a list of foods they love but currently not finding that to be the case and worried they’re not eating enough. Today they’ve managed a crumpet, a little bit of cheese, half a bag of crisps, 2 chips and a bag of iced gems.

Also worried that most of the above has little nutritional value. Have tried fruit and vegetables, pasta etc. they’re being refused.

Sausages
Pizza
Macaroni cheese
Stuff they can help themselves to like sausage rolls (think party good)
Toast!

try Not to worry - 2 is very young, they are probably just a bit out of sorts in the new environment. Plenty of juice/fluids and just keep offering bits and pieces.

Reactions: 2
Sausages
Pizza
Macaroni cheese
Stuff they can help themselves to like sausage rolls (think party good)
Toast!

try Not to worry - 2 is very young, they are probably just a bit out of sorts in the new environment. Plenty of juice/fluids and just keep offering bits and pieces.
Thank you so much. I’ll try and buy some party-style food tomorrow. Fortunately they’re keeping hydrated and have plenty of energy(!) so not unduly worried about that.

Reactions: 1

For a weekend I wouldn’t worry massively about the nutritional gaps, it won’t have a long term effect. Toast with peanut butter and banana is a go to here for a snack or small lunch. And I’ve never met a child yet who doesn’t like pizza. Fish fingers or chicken goujons and potato waffles are always a winner too.

Reactions: 3
thanks for your advice everyone!!

She won’t fall asleep at 11, I’ve got no chance 😂 that’s only 4 hours of awake time and we generally have a busy morning too. I think the latter is better - shes gunna be shattered off 1 hour😪 she okly
Had one hour 25 today and she was tearful all afternoon!! Fml feel like I can’t win really
I honestly wouldn't change anything just yet as it could just be a phase, a development leap, a growth spurt. If after 4 weeks she's still doing it think about what you can change but for a while I'd keep everything the same x

And I’ve never met a child yet who doesn’t like pizza.
I'd like to introduce you to my son... who will only eat pizza at birthday parties. If I serve it for tea he puts his head in hands and cries bog sorrowful tears 🤣 honestly man toddlers are the worst 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Thank you so much. I’ll try and buy some party-style food tomorrow. Fortunately they’re keeping hydrated and have plenty of energy(!) so not unduly worried about that.
My daughter will eat hardly anything if she's anywhere but home.
I wouldn't worry about the lack of nutritional value just for the weekend 😊

For a weekend I wouldn’t worry massively about the nutritional gaps, it won’t have a long term effect. Toast with peanut butter and banana is a go to here for a snack or small lunch. And I’ve never met a child yet who doesn’t like pizza. Fish fingers or chicken goujons and potato waffles are always a winner too.
My 4yo doesn't like pizza 😂 there are some strange ones out there aha 😂

• Haha

It's probably a combination of them being out of their environment/ routine and them trying it on with you. I wouldn't worry , they won't let themselves starve.

What about offering a bowl of cereal if they are hungry again?

I would cry with happiness if my kid ate pizza or a chicken nugget. She is extremely fussy and it’s been such a struggle. We’ve been working on it and seeing progress but it’s slow. I’ve been so proud of her this week she’s tried a new food every day. Nothing groundbreaking but she ate blueberries which she hasn’t for over a year. The one I was surprised at was an olive!

• Heart
Won't eat pizza but she'll eat prawns and cockles in the kgs if I let her 😂
Ugh, she’s more adventurous than I am!

I would cry with happiness if my kid ate pizza or a chicken nugget. She is extremely fussy and it’s been such a struggle. We’ve been working on it and seeing progress but it’s slow. I’ve been so proud of her this week she’s tried a new food every day. Nothing groundbreaking but she ate blueberries which she hasn’t for over a year. The one I was surprised at was an olive!
That is amazing! Well done to both of you, because working on eating new things is a tough thing.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
My daughter is currently obsessed with cereal, shuns fish fingers and chicken nuggets for it at the moment 🤣

I honestly wouldn't change anything just yet as it could just be a phase, a development leap, a growth spurt. If after 4 weeks she's still doing it think about what you can change but for a while I'd keep everything the same x

I'd like to introduce you to my son... who will only eat pizza at birthday parties. If I serve it for tea he puts his head in hands and cries bog sorrowful tears 🤣 honestly man toddlers are the worst 🤣🤣🤣
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂my 2.5 year old won’t eat beige food - fish fingers, smiley faces, waffles etc. NO chance!!!!🙄

• Haha
My 2.3 year old LOVES pasta. Wallops it down. He likes spaghetti hoops too, the Thomas the tank shaped ones and Peppa ones especially. Loves a sarnie. He absolutely loves alphabites but only if I put good letters, he seems to hate O’s and I’s 😂 but loves it when I lash in a Q or a W 🤷‍♀️ 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Or when they love something one day, and then you offer it again a few days later and they refuse it and act like you’ve just offered them a turd sandwich!😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Or when they love something one day, and then you offer it again a few days later and they refuse it and act like you’ve just offered them a turd sandwich!😂😂😂😂
My 4yo one day decided she doesn't like cheese... Except babybells... And orange cheese.. And cheese spread...
She likes them. But doesn't like cheese. Apparently. Even though she liked it all the previous day and would always have a cheese sandwich

• Haha
Reactions: 9
My son has a tendency to try something new (rarely) and go “mmm that’s actually delicious!” And then never even put it near his mouth again. If I say “oh do you want any more of that?”
“Oh no thanks, that was plenty”

that one lick must have him stuffed 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
My toddler doesn’t eat dinner. He has breakfast and lunch. Come to dinner he is not interested! We’ve tried everything, but he’s just not hungry. He doesn’t snack much during the day. It’s so frustrating
And it’s not just toddlers with the food. My nearly 13 year old will love something one day. Next week I make it, she will look as though I’ve poisoned her
My 6 year old refuses to eat veg, but I’d good with fruit, so I’m not too bothered
It’s annoying as they’ve always been good eaters as babies 😭😭

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.