Toddler Advice Thread #6 Christmas is coming, as are the illnesses

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Tentatively creeping round here. My LO is (nearly) 14 months old and just starting to understand he has a little big of agency.

Tantrum wise he's generally ok, he's a pretty chill dude anyway but over the last week he has taken to flopping dramatically on the ground and pretending to cry when I take my phone out of his reach (I try not to use it around him anyway, but if I need to answer a call or am facetiming my parents I would have it near him).

Nappy changes and clothes changes have been a nightmare since about 7 months so we just soldier on with those. He absolutely hates being laid on his back and has done for a very long time.
I’m with you on the mini tantrums - 14 months old now, and he tantrums over the most weird things! I think it’s a rough time right now, as they can’t communicate what they want but they know what they want xx

Reactions: 2
I’m with you on the mini tantrums - 14 months old now, and he tantrums over the most weird things! I think it’s a rough time right now, as they can’t communicate what they want but they know what they want xx
TBH it's quite nice to see him actually bothered about something (I know I will eat those words soon!). He's always been so laid back and chill about things that it's only recently that he's actually started to take any interest in most toys (he'd play with things before but in a very lazy way) and can now spot a park and point to it if we're out on a walk. It's really nice to see his personality come out and when he does get hold of what he's not meant to have the smile he beams is so cute 🥴

My son came home from nursery today with a big red bite mark on his leg. They informed me on the phone beforehand but I am just concerned that they said they didn’t see it happen. It was on his upper leg and it is soooo red. Seriously can’t imagine how that even happened and no one saw it. They just have had a good munch on his leg for it to be so red 🤬 I don’t even know what to say. I know they can’t keep an eye on every single child every minute but I am sad today about this
While I know biting is just so horrible and the poor babies that are on the receiving end, as someone who used to work in a nursery it can happen so quickly. We had a biter and I remember I was cleaning one side of the room and the other worker was the side of the babies. In a split second the biter had got hold of the other kid and bit so hard. The scream 😫 I can also believe things happen and no one knows coz these kids are like lightening

Reactions: 5
While I know biting is just so horrible and the poor babies that are on the receiving end, as someone who used to work in a nursery it can happen so quickly. We had a biter and I remember I was cleaning one side of the room and the other worker was the side of the babies. In a split second the biter had got hold of the other kid and bit so hard. The scream 😫 I can also believe things happen and no one knows coz these kids are like lightening
My LO has only bit me once and the force and speed of which he did was astonishing. It was a proper chomp! We were having a nice cuddle as well then he just sunk his teeth (all 6 of them) into my shoulder.

Reactions: 1
My LO has only bit me once and the force and speed of which he did was astonishing. It was a proper chomp! We were having a nice cuddle as well then he just sunk his teeth (all 6 of them) into my shoulder.
Mine bit my nipple last week. He’s never been breastfed and he’s 2 😂

• Sick
I have decided no more naps. We are going cold turkey. This week my son (2yo) has only had 30 mins max each day and has been up till 9pm. It is absolutely killing me I have about an hour to myself each day once he’s gone to bed and it is not enough. I think I’m losing my mind. Today he’s had no nap and gone to bed 7.30pm🥹

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Any advice on teaching a toddler to let go of what's in his hands before he starts trying to climb on something? My little one must have two things in his hands at all times and he's now starting to walk. Trouble is he's trying to pull himself up on hard objects (the playpen sides, the activity table, chairs, people's legs) with toys in his hands. He cries if you take them away but equally cries when he can't stand or bumps his face on the object he's trying to pull on because he can't balance properly.

Any advice on teaching a toddler to let go of what's in his hands before he starts trying to climb on something? My little one must have two things in his hands at all times and he's now starting to walk. Trouble is he's trying to pull himself up on hard objects (the playpen sides, the activity table, chairs, people's legs) with toys in his hands. He cries if you take them away but equally cries when he can't stand or bumps his face on the object he's trying to pull on because he can't balance properly.
To some extent that’s just learning to move. I’d just gently reinforce that trying to do whatever he’s doing with that in his hand will hurt. He’ll soon learn (in a nice way I mean!). Not in a “that’ll teach him” 😂🙈

• Heart
Sleep has gone to proper tit recently and I’m exhausted 😭 she’s so tired but forcing herself to stay awake by making this horrific whining noise and I’m fed up with doing 99% of the parenting

To some extent that’s just learning to move. I’d just gently reinforce that trying to do whatever he’s doing with that in his hand will hurt. He’ll soon learn (in a nice way I mean!). Not in a “that’ll teach him” 😂🙈
Thanks, I thought so but it seems so counter intuitive doesn't it!

Yesterday he was picking his balls up one by one and putting them on the table just above his head height so I think he's getting there :)

Hoping someone will be able to help. I need to get some new joggers/trousers/jeans for my 3 yo but I'm really struggling to find ones that fit and are affordable. All the ones we've tried so far have been fine for leg length but the waist size are far too big, so big that as soon as he starts moving about they fall down 🙈 Has anyone found any brands that seem more on the slim size at all?

Hoping someone will be able to help. I need to get some new joggers/trousers/jeans for my 3 yo but I'm really struggling to find ones that fit and are affordable. All the ones we've tried so far have been fine for leg length but the waist size are far too big, so big that as soon as he starts moving about they fall down 🙈 Has anyone found any brands that seem more on the slim size at all?
Polarn o pyret are brilliant for trousers. They are abit pricey but they often have offers on like 3 for 2. You can adjust the waist with a button, plus they wash really well and last ages.
They are the only trousers that my son can fit into 🤣

For joggers I got some from Asda for my son, he's 2 and a half but very slim so got him 1.5-2 years they have a draw string which goes quite tight and are cuffed at the bottom so not dragging. They've been perfect for nursery.
For Jeans we've always found Zara to be best for him, they have the buttons inside to adjust the waist and they have a lot on stretch in the leg so he can still run alot!

I've always found Next to be good for this, my now 4 year old has always been skinny but Next joggers have nice tight waistbands and last longer length wise than Sainsbury's/Tescos ones.

Does anyone have any advice on potty training? My 2.5 year old isn't talking yet (he says bits but mostly babbles but doesn't fall under the need for S&L therapy) and in my head I kept thinking I should wait until he can communicate properly but I'm having another baby the end of next month and just wondering if it's best to try potty training now 😩 I'm so lost and don't want my baby to be behind others but I know he isn't really!

Does anyone have any advice on potty training? My 2.5 year old isn't talking yet (he says bits but mostly babbles but doesn't fall under the need for S&L therapy) and in my head I kept thinking I should wait until he can communicate properly but I'm having another baby the end of next month and just wondering if it's best to try potty training now 😩 I'm so lost and don't want my baby to be behind others but I know he isn't really!
I successfully potty trained my little one who was speech delayed at 2y8m. Obviously all kids are different but there is definitely no harm in trying if you think they might be ready!

I’ll attach an aided language sheet that you might find helpful if you do want to give it a go! You can point to the words as you speak and encourage them to copy.

(edit to say that 2.5 is still very young in terms of potty training so please don’t feel pressured!!)

IMG_6316.jpeg

• Heart
I successfully potty trained my little one who was speech delayed at 2y8m. Obviously all kids are different but there is definitely no harm in trying if you think they might be ready!

I’ll attach an aided language sheet that you might find helpful if you do want to give it a go! You can point to the words as you speak and encourage them to copy.

(edit to say that 2.5 is still very young in terms of potty training so please don’t feel pressured!!)

View attachment 2911598
Ah I love this thank you! I think he's mostlybreadybhe gets quite unsettled when his nappie has even the smallest wee in and tries to let us know!
Gonna use this weekend to get my head around everything and give it a really good go. Thank you so much! X

• Heart