Toddler Advice Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all, I’m new to this thread. Im worried about my 20 month old son and his lack of speech. He only says about 10-12 words ( that includes animal sounds). He’s a happy, smiley boy full of fun and affection. I wasn’t worried until a family member mentioned that he should be talking properly by now and I started researching it and a parenting website sent me into full on stress mode. Does anyone have any positive stories of toddlers with delayed speech catching up? Thanks x
Hi, I wouldn’t worry. At my daughters 2 year check in March, I said I was worried about her speech cos she could say lots of things but I didn’t think she said enough for her age. But let’s just remember a second - they’re 2!! Still a baby. She’s 2 years 7 months now and she’s come along leaps and bounds over the last 5 months. She’s saying 4 word sentences and it’s like she’s just cracked it. Don’t worry. My daugher also didn’t say mummy until she was 1 year 7 months. Every child is different x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thank you so much. I feel so much better already. I wish I never looked at the other website. Im such a worrier.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thank you so much. I feel so much better already. I wish I never looked at the other website. Im such a worrier.
It’s really hard sometimes to stay off Google !!! I know the feeling. But honestly I would go off what nursery say. They see him whereas Google doesn’t 🥰

Reactions: 2
Hi all, I’m new to this thread. Im worried about my 20 month old son and his lack of speech. He only says about 10-12 words ( that includes animal sounds). He’s a happy, smiley boy full of fun and affection. I wasn’t worried until a family member mentioned that he should be talking properly by now and I started researching it and a parenting website sent me into full on stress mode. Does anyone have any positive stories of toddlers with delayed speech catching up? Thanks x
I know you’ve had a few replies already, but my 3 (next month) boy, didn’t have many words at that age. I don’t think he even had 5. He started preschool at 2yr4mth, and he has come on leaps and bounds. He is so far behind my 2 friends children who are the same age. However, he potty trained before them and knew colours also. Even now, his speech is very unclear compared. I don’t know if it’s a covid thing, or that we all speak for him. He had an older sister and 2 older brothers. I spoke to his preschool about it and they aren’t concerned as he is saying loads more ! And that is just 8 months at school!

Reactions: 3
Also I think it pays to remember (at least this is the case with my son) he is much more talkative at home than he is in front of people he doesn’t know as well. you know your son and everyone here has already given you great advice too 🥰

Reactions: 5
Does anyone have a Yoto or Toniebox? I’m thinking to get one for my daughters birthday in October or Xmas. She will have a new sibling in January so I’m thinking ahead and want to record some stories that she can play when I’m exhausted or busy with the baby. Both seem quite similar but the Yoto has a few more features like sleep sounds and a nightlight which turns into a wake up light.

Out of curiosity.. What age do people ditch the stair gate?

I’ve only got one inbetween her bedroom and mine, it’s more or less at the beginning of her bedroom before the bathroom and the stairs. Buttt - I close it every night for my own peace of mind (she could easily climb over it/unlock it though😂) and I’d hear her if she opened her bedroom door. But I just think what’s the point in it? She’s nearly 3. There’s been the odd nights where I’ve not closed it and I’ve slept rubbish, maybe I’m worried she will get out of her bedroom and fall down the stairs when she’s half asleep😂😂😂god knows! Just curious lol x

Out of curiosity.. What age do people ditch the stair gate?

I’ve only got one inbetween her bedroom and mine, it’s more or less at the beginning of her bedroom before the bathroom and the stairs. Buttt - I close it every night for my own peace of mind (she could easily climb over it/unlock it though😂) and I’d hear her if she opened her bedroom door. But I just think what’s the point in it? She’s nearly 3. There’s been the odd nights where I’ve not closed it and I’ve slept rubbish, maybe I’m worried she will get out of her bedroom and fall down the stairs when she’s half asleep😂😂😂god knows! Just curious lol x
I’ll probably be stoned for this, but around 18 months. Because I was sick of having to keep opening the gates. I’ve always taught the kids how to go carefully down the stairs. I’ve had 1 of them fall down the stairs (daddy duty. He didn’t shut the gate properly 😡) and that’s out of 3 children. I’m going to have to put them back up soon for the baby, but will try and teach the toddler how to open because I am not having him screaming all day to open the gates 😂
Also, I’m probably going to be even more stoned for this, but he is in a big bed, and we still don’t have stair gates at the top of the stairs 🙈

Reactions: 1
Just wanted to have a little rant, my mum keeps pressuring me to move my daughter from her cot to a bed, and to potty train her but I'm selfishly just not ready. She'll be 3 in December, but has never made any attempt to climb out of her cot and still has loads of room. I know I should but I can't face having to take her back to her bed 45 times a night if we make the transition. :LOL:

Reactions: 5
Just wanted to have a little rant, my mum keeps pressuring me to move my daughter from her cot to a bed, and to potty train her but I'm selfishly just not ready. She'll be 3 in December, but has never made any attempt to climb out of her cot and still has loads of room. I know I should but I can't face having to take her back to her bed 45 times a night if we make the transition. :LOL:
She’s your child make your own decisions. My mum and dad don’t know that my son sleeps in my bed cos they’re so judgemental it’s not worth the ear ache. I’m the one who has to fer up with him it he wakes not them. You do what’s best for you and your daughter

Reactions: 6
Don’t rush it! We only moved my son as he started climbing out, if she’s safe and happy in the cot then no need to move just yet.
My son is the same age and we tried potty training a few weeks ago and it was a disaster. He just wasn’t ready so we’re going to try again in a few months. You know her best, you’ll know when she’s ready for the big changes.

My step mum keeps saying my daughter is too big to be in nappies cos she leaked at their house once overnight. Well, she’s NEVER leaked for me or her dad. I have no rush to get her out of nappies and don’t really see the point in forcing it.

My step mum keeps saying my daughter is too big to be in nappies cos she leaked at their house once overnight. Well, she’s NEVER leaked for me or her dad. I have no rush to get her out of nappies and don’t really see the point in forcing it.
All my kids have had nappy leaks overnight since newborn. Should have trained them up then I suppose 🤣

I think if she’s saying about wanting a big bed, being difficult to put to bed, or climbing in and out, I would suggest it, but if she isn’t, then there’s no harm in leaving her in the cot. I will say though, when I put all 3 kids into a bed from the cot, they’ve all done amazingly and not got out of bed. We’ve recently moved, which has rocked the boat with the toddler, and he keeps sneaking in, but I’m fine with that!

Tbh, even if you were to potty train, doesn't mean she'll be out of nappies at night anyway.
Being dry at night is a hormone rather than being trained.
My 4yo has been potty trained since 2. But has only just stopped wetting herself at night 😊

Everytime my daughter wakes up from her nap she’s like the devil 🙃she just screams and sobs and it takes her ages to come back to reality again! It’s dreadful. She only has an hour 😂 anyone else’s child like this? Sometimes she doesn’t snap out of it for absolutely ages!!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Everytime my daughter wakes up from her nap she’s like the devil 🙃she just screams and sobs and it takes her ages to come back to reality again! It’s dreadful. She only has an hour 😂 anyone else’s child like this? Sometimes she doesn’t snap out of it for absolutely ages!!
Oh god yes this can be my son 😖 I’ve actually found giving him 10-20mins to roll around in his cot once he’s woken up helps! If I got straight up and start trying to talk to him, the tiniest thing can set him off 🙃 I think he just needs some time to come round haha! Maybe try that if you normally just go straight into her?

Mine used to do this. Is it when she wakes up herself or when you wake her. I’m so glad he doesn’t nap anymore

mine does this when he’s not had enough sleep!

Mine used to do this. Is it when she wakes up herself or when you wake her. I’m so glad he doesn’t nap anymore
When I wake her up, if I let her nap she would sleep for hours 😂 she can’t have more than 1 hour 1.15 max cos bedtime is later & she wakes up early in morning otherwise! But yeah she’s like a bloody dragon 🤣🤣🤣

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.