Toddler Advice Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not sure if this is the best thread for this question but you’re all so wise I’ll just give it a shot 😄
Soo I have a (just turned) 2yo and will welcome her baby brother in hopefully the next 2/3 weeks. She basically still needs me or dad to lay next to her until she falls asleep - we’ve tried to do the *progressively slowly moving away* trick but lately she just screams and I’m also honestly too pregnant to put a lot of effort into it 🥴 (plus the cuddles are the best 🥰)
Therefore: any tips to doing bedtime with toddler + baby once I’m alone with both? This would be the case already from mid September on, at least some good 4 times a week. I guess last case scenario if baby’s awake would be to bring him also into bed with us and feed him/hope he’s not to fussy and end up waking her up? Any tips are welcome 🤗
Does she take a while to get herself to sleep? I would just bring baby up and have time with both, just relaxing. Maybe bring up something for him to lay in and just read a book with her?

Reactions: 1
Not sure if this is the best thread for this question but you’re all so wise I’ll just give it a shot 😄
Soo I have a (just turned) 2yo and will welcome her baby brother in hopefully the next 2/3 weeks. She basically still needs me or dad to lay next to her until she falls asleep - we’ve tried to do the *progressively slowly moving away* trick but lately she just screams and I’m also honestly too pregnant to put a lot of effort into it 🥴 (plus the cuddles are the best 🥰)
Therefore: any tips to doing bedtime with toddler + baby once I’m alone with both? This would be the case already from mid September on, at least some good 4 times a week. I guess last case scenario if baby’s awake would be to bring him also into bed with us and feed him/hope he’s not to fussy and end up waking her up? Any tips are welcome 🤗
Do you have anything like an alexa or Google even one of the story boxes. As my LO likes listening to relaxing music or a story even ASMR (latte) for her also.

Reactions: 2
For bedtime with two I’ve always just snuggled up in bed with them both. It can be quite the extraction of yourself from between two sleepy babes when you need a wee though 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Does she take a while to get herself to sleep? I would just bring baby up and have time with both, just relaxing. Maybe bring up something for him to lay in and just read a book with her?
Depends on the days tbh, mostly she wants to read a couple of books and then we turn off the lights. She usually chats away for 15 minutes telling me about random things from her day until I convince her it’s time to close eyes, be quiet and sleep 😂 So I’d say not so independent yet.. let’s see. We’ll probably just need to start bedtime routine with enough time in advance 😂

• Heart
Wondering if anyone has any advice regarding potty training again. Our son is really good at going to the potty when he has nothing on the lower half in the house, but as soon as we try him with pants it's like he forgets and always has accidents. Yesterday I tried to take him out of the house and we were changed twice before we even got out the front door lol.

Wondering if anyone has any advice regarding potty training again. Our son is really good at going to the potty when he has nothing on the lower half in the house, but as soon as we try him with pants it's like he forgets and always has accidents. Yesterday I tried to take him out of the house and we were changed twice before we even got out the front door lol.
literally going through the exact same with my son! No advice I’m just keeping his nappy off in the house for now and putting one on him when we go out and going to try and build up to no nappies at all! Not sure if that’s the right way to do it but any progress is progress I suppose! I would also like to hear if anyone has any decent advice to get happy free asap!

My daughter always struggled with pants. Up to not that long ago and she's 4.
I can't remember how we managed with pants. I think it was just reminding them to go pee every so often and eventually they got used to having pants on and not think it was a nappy.

Thanks everyone. I read a book on potty training but unfortunately the advice was not very practical for us (staying in the house for up to 7 days to get them used to it - can't do that when I have to work etc). We will keep persevering with it though! don't think I've ever had as much laundry as I do right now haha. I let my son choose his own carry potty from Amazon, so I am hoping we can build up to using that soon!

Reactions: 3
Thanks everyone. I read a book on potty training but unfortunately the advice was not very practical for us (staying in the house for up to 7 days to get them used to it - can't do that when I have to work etc). We will keep persevering with it though! don't think I've ever had as much laundry as I do right now haha. I let my son choose his own carry potty from Amazon, so I am hoping we can build up to using that soon!
yeah I’ve heard that advice too but just so not practical for a lot of people! Think me and my toddler would be up the walls by the end of the week 😬 I’m just not putting too much pressure on the whole situation, it’s a massive change for them so just trying to go at his pace and see how he gets on!

yeah I’ve heard that advice too but just so not practical for a lot of people! Think me and my toddler would be up the walls by the end of the week 😬 I’m just not putting too much pressure on the whole situation, it’s a massive change for them so just trying to go at his pace and see how he gets on!
I think that's a great way to go about it. For me I put a lot of pressure on myself by comparing other kids his age and where he is, I just need to keep telling myself they all go at their own pace :)

I think that's a great way to go about it. For me I put a lot of pressure on myself by comparing other kids his age and where he is, I just need to keep telling myself they all go at their own pace :)
oh it’s so easily done I know the feeling! They will get there in the end don’t worry, all we can do is try our best x

Reactions: 3
I had the pressure of my partners Mum to potty train after she kept commenting on my partners cousins kids about how disgusting it is changing a 3 year olds nappy. And all kids should be potty trained well before 3 😑

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I had the pressure of my partners Mum to potty train after she kept commenting on my partners cousins kids about how disgusting it is changing a 3 year olds nappy. And all kids should be potty trained well before 3 😑
Omg I would have told her to do one !!

My LO is 18 months and we’re going on holiday soon.

My MIL keeps going on about how she potty trained her daughter at a similar age on holiday - they had a potty round the pool and found it really easy to direct her there when she needed to ‘go’. Basically hinting we should do the same. 🤦‍♀️

I said to my OH why would other holiday makers want to watch your child potty training all week?!!!! 🤢

Reactions: 7
My LO is 18 months and we’re going on holiday soon.

My MIL keeps going on about how she potty trained her daughter at a similar age on holiday - they had a potty round the pool and found it really easy to direct her there when she needed to ‘go’. Basically hinting we should do the same. 🤦‍♀️

I said to my OH why would other holiday makers want to watch your child potty training all week?!!!! 🤢
My mum and dad suggested I potty train mine whilst we went on holiday. Why would you spend a holiday with that task 😂😂.
We had a big argument. I don’t need people telling me ( whether they are my parents or not ) when I should be potty training MY son
He’s 3 and still in nappies. He’s just not ready. He won’t be in them forever ☺

• Haha
Im a mum of 4 and potty training my youngest (2yo) atm. We found with his siblings that they tend to pick up using the potty fairly quickly when running about naked but once pants/trousers come into play that’s a whole new skill to learn and it can really throw them. As can car journeys, changes to routine (school holidays), illness, moving house etc. So we treat each new skill as its own stage. So atm, I’m just teaching him how to take off and put on his own pants so he realises there’s another step involved. Then once he’s got the hang of physically doing that, I’ll show him how to do it by the potty for a while, followed by a wee, so he can connect the two skills together and then 🙏🤞 he’ll figure it out. I might even skip pants entirely for a few weeks like I did with his brother. Sometimes it’s too much to take off and they give up. He used to take off ALL his clothes at first because he just found it all too much. But he got there eventually 😅 they all figure it out in the end.

Im a mum of 4 and potty training my youngest (2yo) atm. We found with his siblings that they tend to pick up using the potty fairly quickly when running about naked but once pants/trousers come into play that’s a whole new skill to learn and it can really throw them. As can car journeys, changes to routine (school holidays), illness, moving house etc. So we treat each new skill as its own stage. So atm, I’m just teaching him how to take off and put on his own pants so he realises there’s another step involved. Then once he’s got the hang of physically doing that, I’ll show him how to do it by the potty for a while, followed by a wee, so he can connect the two skills together and then 🙏🤞 he’ll figure it out. I might even skip pants entirely for a few weeks like I did with his brother. Sometimes it’s too much to take off and they give up. He used to take off ALL his clothes at first because he just found it all too much. But he got there eventually 😅 they all figure it out in the end.

This is pretty much exactly what we did. Especially the skipping the underwear part.
She was fine in just leggings or trousers but as soon as the pants went on, it was different. So we skipped them for a while!

Chicken pox right?

My youngest (2) started sprouting itchy hives/bumps yesterday and more have been appearing since… but no blisters yet. Would appreciate your suggestions before enduring the evil receptionists at the doctors. I’m 90% sure it’s chicken pox and not an allergic reaction (we have allergies in the family and these are different). They look raised, sore and with the tiniest head/crust to it. We wondered if it was ant bites (we have red ants in the garden) mosquitos or stinging nettles or possibly even covid related (we had that in late June) but more spots keep appearing and they’re itchy so now we’re thinking definitely chicken pox, despite no blisters YET. They’re all over his chest and back and starting to appear on his legs, face and ears. Passed the glass test. Appear to be getting ‘wetter’ if that makes any sense? Our eldest two had it about 8yrs ago so I should know but I just can’t remember what it looked like at the beginning. What’s making me doubt it is his brother (4) hasn’t had it either yet but isn’t showing any symptoms of having it 🧐 Also… we can’t think of where we’ve been exposed unless it was about 20 days ago!!! That’s too long ago isn’t it or can it incubate for that long?

Attachments

• Sad
Chicken pox right?

My youngest (2) started sprouting itchy hives/bumps yesterday and more have been appearing since… but no blisters yet. Would appreciate your suggestions before enduring the evil receptionists at the doctors. I’m 90% sure it’s chicken pox and not an allergic reaction (we have allergies in the family and these are different). They look raised, sore and with the tiniest head/crust to it. We wondered if it was ant bites (we have red ants in the garden) mosquitos or stinging nettles or possibly even covid related (we had that in late June) but more spots keep appearing and they’re itchy so now we’re thinking definitely chicken pox, despite no blisters YET. They’re all over his chest and back and starting to appear on his legs, face and ears. Passed the glass test. Appear to be getting ‘wetter’ if that makes any sense? Our eldest two had it about 8yrs ago so I should know but I just can’t remember what it looked like at the beginning. What’s making me doubt it is his brother (4) hasn’t had it either yet but isn’t showing any symptoms of having it 🧐 Also… we can’t think of where we’ve been exposed unless it was about 20 days ago!!! That’s too long ago isn’t it or can it incubate for that long?
Yep, looks like the beginnings of chickenpox. My sons both caught it during lockdown (from me because I had shingles). My youngest had it first and then eldest came out in the spots just as youngest was starting to clear up.

D8064A12-2F63-4520-883A-3D0A8E27D46D.jpeg

Does anyone have any advice for cutting 3 year olds hair !? I cut it every 2 Months or so but he absolutely screams the house down shakes his head doesn’t keep still and doesn’t stop screaming.. I feel like taking him to the barbers but not sure if that would be worse

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.