Thyroid

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
anyone else get painful blocked tear ducts after thyroidectomy? it’s now happened twice, I had an eye test in September just before my thyroidectomy, and no concerns then, but should I go back now I’m on levo? It’s only one eye
Have never had this personally but I know that thyroid related conditions can have an effect on eyes so might be good to book a test.

Reactions: 2
anyone else get painful blocked tear ducts after thyroidectomy? it’s now happened twice, I had an eye test in September just before my thyroidectomy, and no concerns then, but should I go back now I’m on levo? It’s only one eye
My optician said my eyes are extremely dry and it’s down to my thyroid (had a partial thyroidectomy) and the medication. I now use some drops he recommended 3x a day

Reactions: 4
Hello, newly diagnosed hypothyroid here, apparently! Dr said it's apparently very under-active, I had no idea 🤷‍♀️ don't seem to have any symptoms they expected me to have, I feel great in myself, not bothered by the cold if anything I'm quite a warm person, my hair and skin are fine, no problems with my period etc 🤷‍♀️ don't get it but meh, maybe I just haven't noticed and I'll feel like Spiderman once the meds kick in 😅

TSH was at 10 if that means anything to anyone

Reactions: 3
Hello, newly diagnosed hypothyroid here, apparently! Dr said it's apparently very under-active, I had no idea 🤷‍♀️ don't seem to have any symptoms they expected me to have, I feel great in myself, not bothered by the cold if anything I'm quite a warm person, my hair and skin are fine, no problems with my period etc 🤷‍♀️ don't get it but meh, maybe I just haven't noticed and I'll feel like Spiderman once the meds kick in 😅

TSH was at 10 if that means anything to anyone
O.27-4.2 is the range so yours is high.

Reactions: 1
O.27-4.2 is the range so yours is high.
I know, the doctor seemed quite alarmed but I'd have had no idea if it wasn't for the fact they just threw thyroid stuff into the blood works in a "why not, while we're doing it" kinda way! Never had any of the symptoms she expected me to have from it 🤷‍♀️

Anyone had thyrogen injections for thyroid cancer treatment? Due my first dose tomorrow ahead of RAI on Thursday!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Has anyone had radioactive iodine treatment? I’ve been hyper on & off for about 4 years , on & off carbimazole. I’d got it reduced to taking 5mg every other day & was hoping to be discharged at next appointment with endocrinology. In November I started feeling rough & thought I was peri menopausal but had a blood test last Monday & have been told to increase the carbimazole to 20mg a day & start propranolol too- and think about either RAI or surgery. I’ve always said I’d just carry on with the medication before but enoughs enough I’m having a permanent treatment this time.

Has anyone had radioactive iodine treatment? I’ve been hyper on & off for about 4 years , on & off carbimazole. I’d got it reduced to taking 5mg every other day & was hoping to be discharged at next appointment with endocrinology. In November I started feeling rough & thought I was peri menopausal but had a blood test last Monday & have been told to increase the carbimazole to 20mg a day & start propranolol too- and think about either RAI or surgery. I’ve always said I’d just carry on with the medication before but enoughs enough I’m having a permanent treatment this time.
I’ve just had RAI for thyroid cancer, but if you have any questions let me know!

I had surgery. I was told RAI wasn't an option because I was so young. I'm surprised they would consider leaving you on carbimazole long term, when I was on it I was told staying on it forever wasn't an option because of the risks/complications. I had a total thyroidectomy, if you have any questions about that.

I had surgery. I was told RAI wasn't an option because I was so young. I'm surprised they would consider leaving you on carbimazole long term, when I was on it I was told staying on it forever wasn't an option because of the risks/complications. I had a total thyroidectomy, if you have any questions about that.
That’s rubbish whoever told you that I was on it for 18 yrs before the covid vaccine knocked me hypo , the reason I never opted for radio iodine is because it can damage the eyes if you’ve got the eye disease, my consultant wanted me to take 150 steroids before treatment , it put me off tbh.

I’ve been on and off it over the 4 or maybe 5 years can’t remember exactly. Im thinking of having the RAI because I’ve never had an op before, I’m quite scared of having anaesthetic I know that sounds pathetic 🤦🏻‍♀️

Yeah fine! Slightly sore mouth a week on but apart from that it was fine 😄
Oh good , hope that settles soon 🙂

Are they proposing a hemi or total thyroidectomy? I had a hemi because I was hyper due to a multinodular goiter that was also compressing my windpipe. My levels have been within range ever since apart from briefly creeping toward hyper after every Covid jab I had. It seems to have settled again now.

If it's a hemi they are suggesting then it might be worth considering surgery over RAI because you stand a greater chance of being medication free for a period of time (possibly a considerable length of time).

However, obviously our circumstances could be totally different so this might not be an option for you.

Ive managed to mess the quoting bit up so your post has ended up beneath my reply. Sorry, I presume you'll still get a notification.

Are they proposing a hemi or total thyroidectomy? I had a hemi because I was hyper due to a multinodular goiter that was also compressing my windpipe. My levels have been within range ever since apart from briefly creeping toward hyper after every Covid jab I had. It seems to have settled again now.

If it's a hemi they are suggesting then it might be worth considering surgery over RAI because you stand a greater chance of being medication free for a period of time (possibly a considerable length of time).

However, obviously our circumstances could be totally different so this might not be an option for you.

Ive managed to mess the quoting bit up so your post has ended up beneath my reply. Sorry, I presume you'll still get a notification.
I’m not sure what type of surgery it would be, my next appointment is in March. The idea of being medication free is very appealing. I’m thinking about recovery time afterwards too with surgery. I’m guessing with RAI it would be pretty straightforward?

I had it about 6 years ago. I had tried carbimazole but it didn't agree with me. I had every known side effect and had to stop taking it when my liver began breaking down. My first treatment of RAI didn't work. I had to wait several months and had another dose. Thankfully it worked and my thyroid has been normal ever since. I would say go for it. There is a chance it will knock you underactive and you will need thyroxine, but surgery would have the same outcome. The endocrinologist will give you the best advice and options. Good luck and I hope it goes well.

I’m not sure what type of surgery it would be, my next appointment is in March. The idea of being medication free is very appealing. I’m thinking about recovery time afterwards too with surgery. I’m guessing with RAI it would be pretty straightforward?
It depends if it destroys your thyroid function completely. In which case you'd need to be on Thyroxine, probably for life and you might feel crappy whilst they titrate your dose. RAI isn't an area I'm massively knowledgeable in though. I did read up on it at the time but can't remember much of it as it didn't apply to situation in the end. I don't know what the risk percentages are for needing medication etc.

Anyone Else With and under active thyroid heard about using selenium to supplement the levothyroxine? I lost so much hair and heard this can also help with that part of things…