Thyroid

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
nails and hair are okay besides my hair gets oily quickly these days but I moved area recently so it could be water supply thing. My old area was soft water but not sure about here. Periods are a weird one cause I take a mini pill so I don’t get periods besides the spotting. My gut is pretty good, tmi I usually go 1-3 times a day but I’m vegan so I eat a high fibre diet naturally.
ETA: thank you for replying. It’s really helping me
There's no harm getting it checked ,especially if it runs in the family it can take a few tests to pick up btw ,don't let things fester if you're worried always get yourself checked that's what doctors are there for x

Reactions: 1
There's no harm getting it checked ,especially if it runs in the family it can take a few tests to pick up btw ,don't let things fester if you're worried always get yourself checked that's what doctors are there for x
i phoned 111 and they’ve passed me to the out of hours GP so hopefully they can shed some light.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I found selenium helped. I started taking it on the basis it may improve T4 to T3 conversion. I don't have a thyroid (hyperthyroidism that never responded to medication so I had a thyroidectomy). Since they only monitor T4 levels when you are hypo, I wondered whether my T4 to T3 conversion was subpar and that may be impacting my mood. After I started taking selenium daily, I ended up having to drop my levothyroxine dose because I was symptomatic and my levels showed oversupplementation. I also half heartedly do the autoimmune paleo diet (in that, there's quite a lot of overlap with FODMAP which I tried for my IBS and through trial I've worked out what foods I'm better off excluding and those seem to be on both lists).

After my thyroidectomy I was stable for years. Then it all went a bit whacky. Maybe stress/hormones/ageing. My dose was dropped slightly and I developed bradycardia. Dose was increased back again and I ended up with all the hyper symptoms again. So now I alternate between 2 different doses and with that and the selenium and AIP/FODMAP I have some kind of balance.
It’s funny you mention selenium. After my last post I bought a pack of Brazil nuts as I’d always heard they were good for thyroid function but never really looked into why, turns out they’re high in selenium. I’ve been having 2-3 of them in the morning for a couple of days and today is the first day in months, possibly a year, that I feel good. It might be a total fluke but I genuinely think it’s the nuts/selenium that’s making me feel this way. I’ve only been back on levothyroxine for a week so I feel like it’s too early to see such a noticeable difference, but perhaps the combination of being back on the meds and the intake of selenium are working together like a dream.

Today should have been a day where I felt awful. No caffeine, minimal water, pretty much ate nothing the whole day, work was horrendously busy, short staffed due to annual leave and sickness and I had to unexpectedly stay behind over an hour after I was due to finish. Any other day my stress and anxiety would’ve been through the roof and I’d have been making myself feel ill trying to get as much done as possible, yet I was completely ‘zen’ the whole day. Nothing phased me. I was calm, worry-free and just got on with things. I even had a colleague ask ‘why are you ok’, because this is so unlike me. I REALLY hope this feeling continues because it’s absolute bliss, but knowing my luck it’ll be a fluke and I’ll be back to my grouchy self tomorrow🤣

Reactions: 4
Hi All

A couple of questions for my fellow hypothyroidism friends.

First one - for the ladies - did it affect your periods?

I was diagnosed in pregnancy a few years back (my baby is 2 in November) and was slightly under so started taking 50mg of levothyroxine daily and have done since. Had my bloods tested Feb time and Dr said that I'm on the correct dose and will need to keep on taking it as is.

I've noticed that the majority of this year my periods have been a bit off, for example:

Feb period come after a 46 day cycle
March period come after 34 day cycle
April period come after 33 day cycle
May period come after 29 day cycle
June period come after 51 day cycle
August period come after 32 day cycle
September - no period
October - currently on cycle day 49 with no period

I'm 30 and have taken pregnancy tests which are negative. Just so stumped as

Second - chest heaviness

Does anyone ever get an ache in their chests? At first I described it as a 'heavy feeling' I sometimes experience when I have bad anxiety, but it's pretty much always there, I'm not particularly breathless or anything... it's just always there? I've probably had this around 10-12 weeks?

Hi All

A couple of questions for my fellow hypothyroidism friends.

First one - for the ladies - did it affect your periods?

I was diagnosed in pregnancy a few years back (my baby is 2 in November) and was slightly under so started taking 50mg of levothyroxine daily and have done since. Had my bloods tested Feb time and Dr said that I'm on the correct dose and will need to keep on taking it as is.

I've noticed that the majority of this year my periods have been a bit off, for example:

Feb period come after a 46 day cycle
March period come after 34 day cycle
April period come after 33 day cycle
May period come after 29 day cycle
June period come after 51 day cycle
August period come after 32 day cycle
September - no period
October - currently on cycle day 49 with no period

I'm 30 and have taken pregnancy tests which are negative. Just so stumped as

Second - chest heaviness

Does anyone ever get an ache in their chests? At first I described it as a 'heavy feeling' I sometimes experience when I have bad anxiety, but it's pretty much always there, I'm not particularly breathless or anything... it's just always there? I've probably had this around 10-12 weeks?
Hey, I'm totally new to this tattle life so bare with me here haha not quite sure what I'm doing to be honest lol. but heard loads about it so thought id jump on and have a nosey see what's going on, and some how stumbled across this post. I am a fellow under active thyroid lady so can relate, its certainly not fun.

Period wise i would definitely say it changed my periods i can go 6 weeks without one and not realise and they never start on the same day its always like a few days between them so end up having a longer gap between some months. I did speak to my doctor about this and he did say it was normal even with my levels being in range apparently so I'm just used to it now i think. i tend to track them on my health app on my phone now so i have an idea of when my last one was. im 29 soon to be 30 so around the same age as you. hmm with the chest pains all i can suggest is maybe see if they can do a chest x-ray i had a shadow on my lung before i even knew i had an underactive thyroid but that's what made them find my issue with my thyroid not trying to scare you or anything but maybe check with your doctor ?. do you struggle with anxiety? or are you more sure something else is going on? also are you in the right levels with your thyroid? I'm not on 100 and they have said ive finally hit "normal levels" now.

i would definitely say speak to your doctor if you're concerned though xxx

I have what I describe as “bricks on my chest” feeling when my levels go too low. It feels very heavy, and worse in the mornings. When my T4 has normalised, it stops. My levels have been fluctuating the last few months and that’s one of the key signs I look out for now.

interesting about the breathlessness - i've noticed it a bit more recently but put it down to either the in between weather / too many layers when walking about or the fact that i'm on a double dose of the progesterone only pill. i do have a bloods check up on friday so if that comes back with a change in medication needed (hypo and hashimotos) ill be sure to mention it here!

Thank you all for your replies - I really appreciate it.

Going to ring my doctors and try and get an appointment to check the chest 'pain' and periods checked out. The chest side of things literally feels like no pain but the only way I could describe it is like a 'ball of anxiety in my chest, making it feel heavy' but it's always there? I don't need to be walking or moving for it appear, I'm literally sat at my work laptop now and can feel it.

Will update you all when I've spoken to the drs xx

It’s funny you mention selenium. After my last post I bought a pack of Brazil nuts as I’d always heard they were good for thyroid function but never really looked into why, turns out they’re high in selenium. I’ve been having 2-3 of them in the morning for a couple of days and today is the first day in months, possibly a year, that I feel good. It might be a total fluke but I genuinely think it’s the nuts/selenium that’s making me feel this way. I’ve only been back on levothyroxine for a week so I feel like it’s too early to see such a noticeable difference, but perhaps the combination of being back on the meds and the intake of selenium are working together like a dream.

Today should have been a day where I felt awful. No caffeine, minimal water, pretty much ate nothing the whole day, work was horrendously busy, short staffed due to annual leave and sickness and I had to unexpectedly stay behind over an hour after I was due to finish. Any other day my stress and anxiety would’ve been through the roof and I’d have been making myself feel ill trying to get as much done as possible, yet I was completely ‘zen’ the whole day. Nothing phased me. I was calm, worry-free and just got on with things. I even had a colleague ask ‘why are you ok’, because this is so unlike me. I REALLY hope this feeling continues because it’s absolute bliss, but knowing my luck it’ll be a fluke and I’ll be back to my grouchy self tomorrow🤣
Oh that is interesting! Might be worth a shot trying that…

Although generally I think I am now on a good dose. On 900mcg a week now… which seems like loads?

When I wrote earlier in the year I was sleeping from like 6pm to 6am and still feeling terrible through the day, but now I actually can stay awake through a film that we start after 9pm!!! I’m so glad that all the horribleness was so relatively easily fixed. The symptoms for thyroid stuff are so all encompassing it is unbelievable one or two pills a day can sort all of that out?

Thank you all for your replies - I really appreciate it.

Going to ring my doctors and try and get an appointment to check the chest 'pain' and periods checked out. The chest side of things literally feels like no pain but the only way I could describe it is like a 'ball of anxiety in my chest, making it feel heavy' but it's always there? I don't need to be walking or moving for it appear, I'm literally sat at my work laptop now and can feel it.

Will update you all when I've spoken to the drs xx
wow yeah I’ve never had that before definitely speak to them and keep us updated how you get on maybe your level just need checking again! Hope everything’s okay xx

Does anybody’s thyroid / T4 levels fluctuate? Is that normal?

I was originally overactive, and then went underactive. I started on low dose of 50mcg levothyroxine which increased my T4 a bit, then it went back to underactive within a matter of weeks. Increased meds to 75mcg.. again it increased my T4 to normal levels for a good month, felt good, and now again it’s too low and I feel crap. Although not low enough on NHS parameters as it’s just teetering above the cut off point.
I’m fairly new to all of this.. Does it take a while to find the right dose and do thyroid levels sometimes fluctuate depending on certain factors? Any advice appreciated!
Thank you ♥

Does anybody’s thyroid / T4 levels fluctuate? Is that normal?

I was originally overactive, and then went underactive. I started on low dose of 50mcg levothyroxine which increased my T4 a bit, then it went back to underactive within a matter of weeks. Increased meds to 75mcg.. again it increased my T4 to normal levels for a good month, felt good, and now again it’s too low and I feel crap. Although not low enough on NHS parameters as it’s just teetering above the cut off point.
I’m fairly new to all of this.. Does it take a while to find the right dose and do thyroid levels sometimes fluctuate depending on certain factors? Any advice appreciated!
Thank you ♥
I can only speak for me but I tend to fluctuate and end up hypo on and off . I was hyper and put on neomercazole high dose and as it improved went lower dose. Regulated for while but went hypo and they increased it again to bring it back up. Will stabilize for a while and dose gets lowered slightly. Be going great for ages and then go hypo again. I will say I had a thyroid storm five years ago and it damaged my heart etc and am on other meds so that could be part of why I fluctuate.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I can only speak for me but I tend to fluctuate and end up hypo on and off . I was hyper and put on neomercazole high dose and as it improved went lower dose. Regulated for while but went hypo and they increased it again to bring it back up. Will stabilize for a while and dose gets lowered slightly. Be going great for ages and then go hypo again. I will say I had a thyroid storm five years ago and it damaged my heart etc and am on other meds so that could be part of why I fluctuate.
Do you mind me asking what damage it did to you heart and how that came to be diagnosed? I'm having some tests done currently and I'm wondering if the issues I'm having might be connected to a particular episode of hyperthyroidism I had about a decade ago.

Sorry if that's too personal a question, feel free not to answer obviously!

Do you mind me asking what damage it did to you heart and how that came to be diagnosed? I'm having some tests done currently and I'm wondering if the issues I'm having might be connected to a particular episode of hyperthyroidism I had about a decade ago.

Sorry if that's too personal a question, feel free not to answer obviously!
Ah I've no probs answering.
I had palpitations and hand tremorsand had lost weight and was feeling quite tit with sore stomach so went docs and he sent me a and e straight away. Got there and my blood pressure was through roof as was resting heart rate. Put on beta blockers straight away. Did numerous scans like ECG, heart echo, ultrsound, MRI, CT, XRAYS . Somewhere in the first couple of days it threw up that I had an afib heartbeat and one of the valves in my heart is always open. Got heartbeat lowered with beta blockers and also procoralan. They said the thyroid storm caused the irregular heartbeat and I will always have it and will always be on the tabs unless I want to go down the route of cardioversion. Doesn't affect me other than if I overexert myself I'll be more tired than I should be. As for the pain in my stomach god knows what that was😂 they were convinced I was an alcoholic though coz my liver was bad but that was related to thyroid too apparently.
Apologies for long answer x

• Heart
Reactions: 4
That’s really useful, thanks. The overactive phase was really scary for me heart-wise and sounds similar with the trembling and heart rate through the roof etc. - sorry that it caused you damage (I’m thinking I should get this checked now).
God, I hadn’t realised the thyroid journey was so tough until it all started last year. I find the Endo/GP is so reluctant to increase meds even if I’m literally at the bottom of the nhs ”norm” and symptomatic.

If anyone has any tips to increase t4 levels using alternative methods (herbs etc.) then please let me know. I take selenium. Thank you

• Heart
Ah I've no probs answering.
I had palpitations and hand tremorsand had lost weight and was feeling quite tit with sore stomach so went docs and he sent me a and e straight away. Got there and my blood pressure was through roof as was resting heart rate. Put on beta blockers straight away. Did numerous scans like ECG, heart echo, ultrsound, MRI, CT, XRAYS . Somewhere in the first couple of days it threw up that I had an afib heartbeat and one of the valves in my heart is always open. Got heartbeat lowered with beta blockers and also procoralan. They said the thyroid storm caused the irregular heartbeat and I will always have it and will always be on the tabs unless I want to go down the route of cardioversion. Doesn't affect me other than if I overexert myself I'll be more tired than I should be. As for the pain in my stomach god knows what that was😂 they were convinced I was an alcoholic though coz my liver was bad but that was related to thyroid too apparently.
Apologies for long answer x
Thank you so much. That's not too dissimilar to what I'm dealing with although without the liver issue (that I'm aware of anyway, bloods were all ok). Ended up at A and E with a high resting heart rate, palpitations and chest pain. I can't take betablockers so they've given me a short course of Verapamil to trial. I've got my echo next week then a 7 day Holter at some point to either rule in or out AFib. SVT was mentioned but then I googled and discovered that there were loads of things that come under that umbrella term so Dr Google is leaving me none the wiser. I have watched and read a selection interesting sources of interpretation of ECG's along the way though 😆.

• Heart
Thank you so much. That's not too dissimilar to what I'm dealing with although without the liver issue (that I'm aware of anyway, bloods were all ok). Ended up at A and E with a high resting heart rate, palpitations and chest pain. I can't take betablockers so they've given me a short course of Verapamil to trial. I've got my echo next week then a 7 day Holter at some point to either rule in or out AFib. SVT was mentioned but then I googled and discovered that there were loads of things that come under that umbrella term so Dr Google is leaving me none the wiser. I have watched and read a selection interesting sources of interpretation of ECG's along the way though 😆.
I don't even notice the Afib to be honest except tiredness wise as I say and of course the tabs . If anything the thyroid gives me more probs with weight gain etc. Im in outpatients every six months and get ECG. Always fun to see the poor nurses faces when they look at what's coming out of machine😂😂 oh Dr Google is my enemy 😂😂

• Heart
anyone else get painful blocked tear ducts after thyroidectomy? it’s now happened twice, I had an eye test in September just before my thyroidectomy, and no concerns then, but should I go back now I’m on levo? It’s only one eye