Thyroid

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone suffer from thyroid problems? If so, what's your symptoms? What is your treatment like? Do you have to adjust your diet in any way?

I had a food intolerance test done where I sent away strands of my hair and it has come back showing my thyroxine levels are out of balance which and after looking at the symptoms, they all apply to me! Just waiting for a doctors appointment to have some bloods taken.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Iv was diagnosed with an under active thyroid about 3 years ago after my last pregnancy. Iv been on medication ever since and will be forever. Took a while to get the dosage right but have been on this current dosage for a while now and seems to be working.
My main symptoms before diagnosis was extreme fatigue, like not just tired, absolutely exhausted and with a newborn it was just horrendous! I also was extremely sensitive to the cold...my feet are still so cold all the time now it’s awful! I had dry skin, weight gain and also what I would describe as having “brain fog”. Constantly forgetting things and getting confused easily. I was 30 when I went for a routine blood test and that’s when it came back. My mum, auntie, nana all have it too so and it is hereditary. I am on the higher dosage compared to all my family though 🙄 but it’s working for the most part.
Diet wise I havnt changed anything but would be interested to hear from anyone that has more info on that!
Is it in your family?

Reactions: 4
Iv was diagnosed with an under active thyroid about 3 years ago after my last pregnancy. Iv been on medication ever since and will be forever. Took a while to get the dosage right but have been on this current dosage for a while now and seems to be working.
My main symptoms before diagnosis was extreme fatigue, like not just tired, absolutely exhausted and with a newborn it was just horrendous! I also was extremely sensitive to the cold...my feet are still so cold all the time now it’s awful! I had dry skin, weight gain and also what I would describe as having “brain fog”. Constantly forgetting things and getting confused easily. I was 30 when I went for a routine blood test and that’s when it came back. My mum, auntie, nana all have it too so and it is hereditary. I am on the higher dosage compared to all my family though 🙄 but it’s working for the most part.
Diet wise I havnt changed anything but would be interested to hear from anyone that has more info on that!
Is it in your family?
Yeah my Mum has an underactive thyroid too. She had surgery a few years ago to have most of her thyroid removed!

I've really been struggling to lose weight recently despite having a very healthy diet and exercising almost every day and have noticed I've been cold a lot. I've lost a bit of my sex drive too!

How long did it take for you to notice your symptoms normalise after taking treatment? Did you find it easier to lose weight again?

Reactions: 2
I have hypothyroidism although minimal visible symptoms from it. It was discovered when running tests to figure out my cycle and the diagnosis surprised me really. I would say I am usually cold but I'm also thin and always put it down to that. I'm on levothyroxine now but to be honest I haven't noticed much change in my temperature, energy levels or anything else.

I had thyroid cancer 6 years ago and as a result now have hypothyroidism. I struggle to lose weight/maintain weight. I’m only a size 10-12 but it’s really a struggle for me to stay that size. I gain weight just looking at something 😂 My hair texture has changed, I get cold easily and I cannot drink alcohol any more. These are all things that suddenly changed afterwards, so I’m putting it down to my thyroid 🤷🏼‍♀️ I take levothyroxine everyday and I take a number of vitamins/minerals that are supposed to help thyroid function too

Reactions: 1
Yeah my Mum has an underactive thyroid too. She had surgery a few years ago to have most of her thyroid removed!

I've really been struggling to lose weight recently despite having a very healthy diet and exercising almost every day and have noticed I've been cold a lot. I've lost a bit of my sex drive too!

How long did it take for you to notice your symptoms normalise after taking treatment? Did you find it easier to lose weight again?
It took me a while to feel like myself again re energy levels but that maybe due to having to adjust my medication to get the right dosage! Iv always struggled with my weight and now I really struggle to lose anything!
I know a few people who are on medication for it and have no symptoms whatsoever 🤷🏼‍♀️ If I miss even one day of my medication I defo feel it! So tired and then takes me days to get back to normal 🙄

I have these symptoms but not weight gain, also my hair texture has really changed! Scalp is really itchy and flakey but really oily too! I was recently diagnosed ceoliac so Im sure sure if im just lacking in vitaman. I have blood tests tommrow to check, would it show on these or is it a specific type of test

Does anyone suffer from thyroid problems? If so, what's your symptoms? What is your treatment like? Do you have to adjust your diet in any way?

I had a food intolerance test done where I sent away strands of my hair and it has come back showing my thyroxine levels are out of balance which and after looking at the symptoms, they all apply to me! Just waiting for a doctors appointment to have some bloods taken.
Sorry to butt in, just be wary that these food intolerance tests have no scientific basis what so ever and a lot are complete rubbish.

Reactions: 6
Sorry to butt in, just be wary that these food intolerance tests have no scientific basis what so ever and a lot are complete rubbish.
Yeah I'm sure they mostly are. It just seems strange that my symptoms match up to hypothyroidism and the test came back as such. Thank you though. I will report back!

Yeah I'm sure they mostly are. It just seems strange that my symptoms match up to hypothyroidism and the test came back as such. Thank you though. I will report back!
Of course 😊 I just thought I'd add that note. I'm not sure about things like the thyroid ect. But the food thing is not accurate at all. 😊
I've done one in the past too and paid quite a bit for it and was actually told by several doctors that there isn't a way to tell food intolerances by hair. Or anything.
I did some research, even a simply Google and it all came up there 😊

I have hypothyroidism and I have to stick to 1500 cals a day and walk about 40km a week, if I don’t, the weight piles on. I also have no sex drive and am constantly tired. I’m 30 and obviously on the medication for life now. I know there’s worse things in the world but quite frankly it’s a bit tit isn’t it.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism just over a year ago. Symptoms were pretty much as others but weight gain is the hardest for me. Also going through menopause so it’s a double blow. I’m currently prescribed 100mcg of levothyroxin but this will be increased Wednesday after a blood test last week (apparently I’m still low, alongside being anaemic)!

I have no diagnosis because I’m too chicken to go to a doctor (especially right now) but I fear I might also have hypothyroidism. Had a blood check up last year and the results were slightly off so I was advised to come back a couple months later but I never did.
I seem to have some of the symptoms such as tiredness, mood swings/depressed moods and no sex drive but at the same time don’t have some other very common ones, so I’m just confused and a bit scared.
I really don’t want to be stuck with medication for the rest of my life (I’m only 24!)

I have hypothyroidism and I have to stick to 1500 cals a day and walk about 40km a week, if I don’t, the weight piles on. I also have no sex drive and am constantly tired. I’m 30 and obviously on the medication for life now. I know there’s worse things in the world but quite frankly it’s a bit tit isn’t it.
I’m the same as you. I was 32 and just kept thinking I had these symptoms because of a demanding job, stress, being a single parent. My mum has it too but never thought to mention it to me back then. The doctor told me it was hereditary and I’m 53 now and been on the medication all these years and will be for life. I do try and think of how many worse things people have but you’re right, it is a bit tit and has impacted on all the things you mention too.

I’m convinced I have issues with my thyroid,had a test done years ago and it supposedly came back ok but like others I’m always always tired!! I could sleep all day and still sleep all night,constantly trying not to drop off. Hard to lose weight,always always cold,thinning hair .
I feel like sometimes I can literally feel the thyroid in my neck aching (I know I sound mad lol)
I’m just so sick and tired of always being tired but I’m sure the doctor thinks I’m exaggerating or a hypochondriac but I’m not, I hate feeling like this and would love to not have to go there complaining lol

• Sad
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism I think around 6/7 years ago. I was extremely tired all the time and it kept getting worse. I went from maintaining a very busy student schedule - studying, part time job, gym and going out with friends almost every day, to barely being able to do one of those things in a day.
I also gained quite a lot of weight despite my best efforts not to and despite no change in diet - I was even exercising more than usual in an effort to take it off (which was not easy given the exhaustion above). I developed depression too which the doctor said could be related. Very dry hair and skin.

I take a relatively low dose, 75mcg a day. It took a while to iron that out. I get tested quite regularly. I finally got a grasp on weight and managed to take a good lot of it off. My numbers are still not 100% but the doctor says he is content for the meantime as I'm having no symptoms. He said if/when I decide to try and get pregnant I'll need to up my dose.

FYI those food intolerance tests are not accurate - and even with a blood test that shows potential thyroid imbalance the doctor may want to repeat tests a few times before deciding to medicate you, if you do have thyroid issues.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I have a blood test today for my thyroid. I went to see my GP (have since switched practices) a few years ago and was practically shooed out of the door for suggesting I thought I had a thyroid issue.

I have recently had chilblains which lasted for around 4 weeks in my toes. I get them in my fingers occasionally too. I am ALWAYS cold.
I’m a size 10 but eat the absolute bare minimum to stay this weight (we are talking a stupid diet of less than 800 calories a day) and if I eat any more then I will gain weight).
I have recently lost all interest in things I love to do and low mood and tiredness. This could be covid related though and a sign of the times 🤷🏻‍♀️
My periods have become really heavy.

I do kind of hope it comes back that my levels are off and I need medication, just so I know I can feel better one day.

I have a blood test today for my thyroid. I went to see my GP (have since switched practices) a few years ago and was practically shooed out of the door for suggesting I thought I had a thyroid issue.

I have recently had chilblains which lasted for around 4 weeks in my toes. I get them in my fingers occasionally too. I am ALWAYS cold.
I’m a size 10 but eat the absolute bare minimum to stay this weight (we are talking a stupid diet of less than 800 calories a day) and if I eat any more then I will gain weight).
I have recently lost all interest in things I love to do and low mood and tiredness. This could be covid related though and a sign of the times 🤷🏻‍♀️
My periods have become really heavy.

I do kind of hope it comes back that my levels are off and I need medication, just so I know I can feel better one day.
Totally understand what you mean! That’s the one thing I’m even more scared about then going in the first place - that they tell me everything’s normal and there’s no apparent solution to how I feel / my problems.

Keeping you in my thoughts, and if you feel comfortable, please do share your results! x

Totally understand what you mean! That’s the one thing I’m even more scared about then going in the first place - that they tell me everything’s normal and there’s no apparent solution to how I feel / my problems.

Keeping you in my thoughts, and if you feel comfortable, please do share your results! x
Thank you.

That’s totally how I feel too! I’ve thought for years that something isn’t right but it seems everything is just becoming more on top of each other symptom wise now, especially the coldness in my fingers and toes. I had a baby 12 months ago and I’ve managed to lose my baby weight but when I say it’s been hard work I really mean it. People say I’ve done it quickly and how well I’ve done but I don’t really tell them the extent that I don’t eat because I know the backlash I’d get. I literally just have to look at a cake to gain a stone!

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was quite young - I think I was 18 but it could have been when I was 16 as well.
I have always struggled gaining weight but even though I was eating in excess of 2000 cals a day, I was losing weight and as any parent would, my mum was worried and booked a blood test which showed my thyroid levels were out of whack. I also had a sensitivity to heat at the time and couldn't sleep in even a warm room as I felt like I was burning. Sometimes would feel very fatigued and weak but other than nothing. I was on some tablets for the better half a year and got retested and they had levelled out.

The sensitivity to heat has come back recently though but I'm not losing weight as I was before (not gaining either). I think I will need to book a blood test soon. Better safe than sorry. It does worry me that it has come back as I still cant wrap my head around what it is lol.